• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: English Release of Xenoblade Chronicles X Removes Bust-Customization Option

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random 21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Now I can certainly understand why people would be irked about this, unlike the other example of supposed censorship, this is way less justifiable since, as has been pointed out, breasts themselves aren't inherently sexual, so this is probably more immature if unsurprising on Nintendo's part.

But with that said, people are going to not buy the game over this? seriously? So if the game turns out to be an amazing masterpiece, you'll just be like "nope, it doesn't have a bust slider"? I'm sorry to sound harsh, but that's probably the stupidest reason to avoid buying the game. Like, I can understand why it would annoy you, but it isn't exactly a boycott level problem, is it?
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember seeing anybody say that, but I think its the principle of it. They don't want to give money towards a censored product. Well, they could just get a used copy...
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Would prefer that instead of taking out the slider, they add more options so it wouldn't look one-sided. For the younger character, perhaps add more costumes to make up for the censor outfits for her so some people will feel like they aren't getting less.

RIP, Fire Emblem Fates. That has much more problems than this game, as possible censorship for Fates will effect gameplay and story if they really want to go far. Which is understandable, but I still wouldn't like it.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
i.e. Nintendo removed a stupid feature that served no practical purpose except pervy ones. For crying out loud, aside from the face editor, the character editor isn't that extensive. All you could do was adjust height/size of the body overall and adjust the boobs. That's it.

and once again, I have to bring up that gamers do not know how to pick their fights. At this rate if Nintendo so much as doesn't leave a game completely unlocalized from Japanese people will riot. Hopefully Nintendo is just ignoring these complaints because they are not what I would call reasonable.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Random 21 wrote:
Now I can certainly understand why people would be irked about this, unlike the other example of supposed censorship, this is way less justifiable since, as has been pointed out, breasts themselves aren't inherently sexual, so this is probably more immature if unsurprising on Nintendo's part.

But with that said, people are going to not buy the game over this? seriously? So if the game turns out to be an amazing masterpiece, you'll just be like "nope, it doesn't have a bust slider"? I'm sorry to sound harsh, but that's probably the stupidest reason to avoid buying the game. Like, I can understand why it would annoy you, but it isn't exactly a boycott level problem, is it?

Personally, I've been on the fence about getting the game, and probably won't now. It's not so much "this game has no bust slider, so no buy," but more, "They made really stupid censorship decisions and since I was already on the fence I think this tips me to the 'no buy' side." I played the first Xenoblade but never beat it because I got frustrated with it. Honestly, most of the reason I was even interested in trying the sequel at all was because of the character creator. That stuff is a big deal for me, and for others. It's a small change, but it has big implications.

Look at it this way: if the bust slider had never existed in the first place, it wouldn't matter. The problem is that NoA removed it.

AiddonValentine wrote:
i.e. Nintendo removed a stupid feature that served no practical purpose except pervy ones. For crying out loud, aside from the face editor, the character editor isn't that extensive. All you could do was adjust height/size of the body overall and adjust the boobs. That's it.

and once again, I have to bring up that gamers do not know how to pick their fights. At this rate if Nintendo so much as doesn't leave a game completely unlocalized from Japanese people will riot. Hopefully Nintendo is just ignoring these complaints because they are not what I would call reasonable.

Like you ignored all the posts in this thread?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
The problem though is that not all developers are going to spend time designing their character creation feature to let players create their exact ideal characters and considering how complex and involved these things can get that's actually not a bad thing.

But that's exactly the point. I totally get why you're not going to be able to implement a complex character creation system that lets you do whatever you want. It's not cheap or easy. But then why still a breast slider? You can't have it both ways. When you go with standard bodies but make an exception for breasts you belie your priorities.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
You haven't actually read the thread then, as there are women posting who are annoyed that they can't customise characters to their liking. Are you actually saying that sex dolls come in all shapes and sizes and people are all the same?

You really can't customize your characters bodies to your liking though. And not just because they removed this feature. You can customize their breasts to your liking. But that's about it. And yeah, one base body type but with variable breast size is a hell of a lot closer to "sex dolls" than it is to "real people". Sorry to burst your bubble. I mean look, like I said earlier, if people feel like this is better than nothing, okay. I can understand that. I sure do wish people would at least acknowledge though the obvious intent behind such a feature when that's the only thing they let you do.

thenix wrote:
I seen a lot of people claiming that the boob slider would only be there for pervy dudes playing the game. Reasoning being because it doesn't let you customize the rest of your character much. But I see 2 things wrong with this line of reasoning.

1. Even with the boob slider gone characters still have boobs. If the boobs are what is sexualized then changing their size doesn't matter, if they still have boobs then the problem isn't fixed.

2. If you have to censor it because it might be used for the wrong reason (keeping people from using it for the right reason) then you can take this logic a long way. You can't control the camera because you might use it to look up skirts. You can't control men's muscle definition because some girls might find it sexual. You can't have any women in the game because guys might find them sexual even if you can't control their sizes. Etc Etc.

Neither of these points debunk or even actually respond to the above stated argument. In fact, they rely on assumptions the above argument cleanly dispels: For #1, that having breasts is inherently sexual. (It isn't. But a character's breasts are made sexual by virtue of the exclusive and disproportionate focus of having such a slider amid little other body customization). And for #2, that this slider is being removed just because it might be used for sexual reasons. (That's not it. The point is, because this is the only proportion modifying slider, that the intent is clearly sexual purposes. Your camera example is disanalogous precisely because it's a free camera. You can do whatever you want with it. Sexual use is incidental. This is more like having a button that snaps the camera instantly to look up your character's skirt though. When that's the one and only thing the camera allows you to do, the intent is clear.)
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
On your first part on them being fine with the outfits on adults but not on children as evident with the Lyn censorship I would agree that that is probably one of the reasons they might have done it but here is where the problem lies, the character you create you can create the EXACT same looking character as Lyn meaning you can make your character look exactly like her, a child with the only different is your characters bust will be slightly bigger but you will still look like a child AND be able to wear those skimpy outfits, thats the problem I have with the whole thing none of it makes sense because any message they are trying to send is just refuted by other means.

I do agree that there should have been much more options to the character creation system like you said, hips, butt etc... and why they aren't there is a valid question to ask but maybe its because I'm a woman and its how I think but when I think of breats I just don't think of them in a sexual way its just a body part, especially in the case of the slider because most of the armor in the game has you fully covered and practical and sans the skimpy optional outfits increasing or decreasing the bust size while wearing full clothing just doesn't scream sexual to me. If this was a more fanservicey game and they only gave you only a bust slider I'd be more inclined to agree but XCX outside of those optional outfits just doesn't scream to me as a typical fanservice game. I do see your point on why one could perceive it as just fanservice but I just personally don't view it as such.

I imagine Nintendo just generally wants to avoid the potential controversy that could come from people being able to increase the breast size on characters that look like children, since an imitation of the main character that happens to have a larger size by default would require making a complex direct comparison that wouldn't be as easy to grasp for the average gamer and is probably less likely to be controversial.

Although it's understandable that you may view breasts as just a body part without sexual connotations, society broadly isn't on the same page, since female breasts are generally treated with the same cultural modesty as the groin region, due in large part to their perceived sexual connotations in our culture. Now I must admit, I agree with you as far as wanting to view human body parts as just normal aspects of our existence, and it would be great if women could walk down the street shirtless in a manner treated as normal. Unfortunately, I think the reality is that modern culture still doesn't largely view female breasts with that sort of non-sexual acceptance. Judging from most of the content I've seen from Japan in recent years, I think it's highly likely that the breast slider was done for fanservice purposes, and although I would be fully on board if they existed simply for the sake of providing more options, their presence for the sake of satiating male libidos is a grating nuisance to me.

Actar wrote:
Okay, we have had our differences, but you have to understand that this issue is bigger than your personal opinion on the offensive content. It might be there to "pander to people's libido", but it doesn't affect those who do not care for it in the slightest. The boob slider is there for people who want to mess around with it (females included) and it can be easily ignored if you don't like it. There is absolutely zero reason to take it away from people who want to use the feature.

I am not a gamer, I don't care for the franchise and will probably never play the game, but I will never support censorship. If you are in favor of censorship, it'll be hypocritical of you to complain when something you like gets censored because it will be just as offensive to someone else.

Personally, unless it's some sort of comedic or intelligent context, I don't generally like or support games that shoehorn in sexual fanservice, since it lowers my opinion of the overall product as selling out to base human desires in order to attract an audience, instead of relying on the quality of the product to stand on its own (that doesn't mean I'm against sexual games, though --- it's the motivation to include it in games that aren't inherently sexual in nature that bothers me).

I mentioned in a previous article, but I don't exactly view this as 'censorship', in-so-much as a company adjusting their product to the tastes of a target audience. At the end of the day, the artists and developers making the game are hired to create a product that will sell on the market. They're well aware of the constraints that prevent them from turning games like this into a full-on ecchi/hentai romp, and I sort of view changes like these more like additional constraints applied retroactively because of a different market. What we're presented with at the end of the day isn't necessarily what the artists wanted us to see anyways, but what the company thinks will sell to us, so this isn't exactly curbing freedom of expression as much as a company presenting a product they think will work better over here.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:
As much as I like breasts, boob sliders for an RPG are the dumbest of dumb features. [...] I just see people salty over women being treated as people and not sex-dolls in a game.

You haven't actually read the thread then, as there are women posting who are annoyed that they can't customise characters to their liking. Are you actually saying that sex dolls come in all shapes and sizes and people are all the same?

Completely agreed. As a woman, actually, having a "default" breast size saying that only this breast size is "normal" is actually a bit disheartening. So basically, my body's proportions are offensive now?

Anyway, I'm not buying the English version, but it is sad that this kind of censorship is being done. I can kind of understand removing bikinis and lingerie in a horror game where they don't belong, but treating the body part as some kind of nasty forbidden thing is depressing.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:

2. If you have to censor it because it might be used for the wrong reason (keeping people from using it for the right reason) then you can take this logic a long way. You can't control the camera because you might use it to look up skirts.

Final Fantasy actually did that - even went so far as put it in the code of the game. Laughing

"The most difficult side quest in newest Final Fantasy role-playing game - Finding the heroine’s panties"

• Fans may be excited about changing Lightning’s costume and playing with the camera angle during cut scenes, but the combined effect of these two capabilities created a new headache for the developers, particularly Cut Scene Animation Director Yusuke Tanaka and Cut Scene Layout Director Hidekazu Miyake.

With Lightning Returns, however, the huge number of available costumes made things much harder. Tanaka says that it took the most time to correct panty flashes on the cat girl costume, for which Lightning needs to slip into a miniskirt because…

Tanaka explains that the problem of the female characters’ underwear being visible has popped up throughout the Final Fantasy franchise, but Miyake claims that it was more pronounced than ever in Lightning Returns. “This time, it wasn’t like, ‘Oh, you can catch a little peek.’ You could see everything,” he explains.

As a result, Tanaka and Miyake had to go back and adjust the way Lightning moves and even the physics calculations in some scenes.

Stuart Smith wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Why is Japanese on Japanese censoring not attacked like this is? I'm just wondering?

It's simple; most people here don't live in Japan so it doesn't affect us. There's no real use to complain about something that doesn't affect us. If Japanese gamers are upset over the removal of guts falling out of a person's stomach was removed in Metal Gear Solid 5, they're free to protest/boycott it. That's their battle, not ours. Though given how Japanese society is, I wonder how many complain at all about that stuff.

Japanese don't seem to complain much and still bought the censored versions.

But y'see, that type of thinking is what divides us.
When they came for the Japanese, we didn't speak out because we're not Japanese.
When they came for the Europeans, we didn't speak out because we're not Europeans.
When they came for the Australians....... that's their battle, ya guys get the idea.

So we only speak out when they come for us then?

Ambimunch wrote:

Meanwhile games like Gears of War where you rip people to bits and chainsaw their necks into a fountain of flesh and gore is okay.

Nah, those types of games get censored in Japan too.
Heck, Konami's Metal Gear Solid 5 (both of them) and Sony's own Until Dawn explicit scenes are censored in Japan even though they were made by Japanese themselves.

Lili-Hime wrote:
DuchessBianca wrote:

Hey! I'm as flat as can be and proud of it, not everyone wishes they were bigger and now the default size is too big to recreate myself in avatar form haha

Omg I'm sorry flat is totally ok and wonderful I didn't mean to come across as being negative at all about that :3

Except maybe when she has kids since biologically flatter boobs potentially produce less milk (not as many glands).
thenix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

thenix wrote:
I seen a lot of people claiming that the boob slider would only be there for pervy dudes playing the game. Reasoning being because it doesn't let you customize the rest of your character much. But I see 2 things wrong with this line of reasoning.

1. Even with the boob slider gone characters still have boobs. If the boobs are what is sexualized then changing their size doesn't matter, if they still have boobs then the problem isn't fixed.

2. If you have to censor it because it might be used for the wrong reason (keeping people from using it for the right reason) then you can take this logic a long way. You can't control the camera because you might use it to look up skirts. You can't control men's muscle definition because some girls might find it sexual. You can't have any women in the game because guys might find them sexual even if you can't control their sizes. Etc Etc.

Neither of these points debunk or even actually respond to the above stated argument. In fact, they rely on assumptions the above argument cleanly dispels: For #1, that having breasts is inherently sexual. (It isn't. But a character's breasts are made sexual by virtue of the exclusive and disproportionate focus of having such a slider amid little other body customization). And for #2, that this slider is being removed just because it might be used for sexual reasons. (That's not it. The point is, because this is the only proportion modifying slider, that the intent is clearly sexual purposes. Your camera example is disanalogous precisely because it's a free camera. You can do whatever you want with it. Sexual use is incidental. This is more like having a button that snaps the camera instantly to look up your character's skirt though. When that's the one and only thing the camera allows you to do, the intent is clear.)

I disagree but you are on point enough for me to accept it as your opinion, and I don't have anything new to add so agree to disagree.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
To those going to the existence of the slider in the first place: oh sure, the devs didn't have innocent intentions with it, obviously. They're clearly pretty creepy people given the 13-year-old nonsense. But removing that slider entirely doesn't make anything any better. Remember that author intent doesn't necessarily have to affect how oneself interprets and enjoys a work, so anybody wanting to use it for simple character customization isn't defending the creators, just using the work for their own purposes instead.

And I think we have the right to do that. Remember that the localizers are (usually) not the developers, so their choices are independent of the developers'. Their choice to remove this feature is therefore not really connected to the devs' intent.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
Nintendo can do anything they want, but so can the fans. Nothing wrong with calling Nintendo out on the localizing censorship. Nothing wrong with fans boycotting the product, even though we know some will still buy it despite what they say.

Bottom line though, no one is making you use the slider or making you use the different optional costumes.

Kinda weird seeing all these pro censorship anime fans.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Lili-Hime wrote:
DuchessBianca wrote:

Hey! I'm as flat as can be and proud of it, not everyone wishes they were bigger and now the default size is too big to recreate myself in avatar form haha

Omg I'm sorry flat is totally ok and wonderful I didn't mean to come across as being negative at all about that :3

Except maybe when she has kids since biologically flatter boobs potentially produce less milk (not as many glands).

Wow, that comment is pretty darn inappropriate.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Wow, that comment is pretty darn inappropriate.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. I read that and immediately went "YIKES 0_0"
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:00 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:

I mentioned in a previous article, but I don't exactly view this as 'censorship', in-so-much as a company adjusting their product to the tastes of a target audience. At the end of the day, the artists and developers making the game are hired to create a product that will sell on the market. They're well aware of the constraints that prevent them from turning games like this into a full-on ecchi/hentai romp, and I sort of view changes like these more like additional constraints applied retroactively because of a different market. What we're presented with at the end of the day isn't necessarily what the artists wanted us to see anyways, but what the company thinks will sell to us, so this isn't exactly curbing freedom of expression as much as a company presenting a product they think will work better over here.

And of course that's before we get into the biggest problem: this isn't censorship. Period. Censorship requires a governmental body. This is a company editing the product THEY MADE THEMSELVES due to issues they believed it would bring due to the differences in values between Western and Japanese audiences.

Of course when faced with that people will claim "self-censorship!" which, let's be honest, is a desperate attempt to deflect criticism. And maybe this whole thing wouldn't be so silly if it weren't people defending a bust slider instead of something more in line with the gameplay or storyline. Again, people not picking their battles properly and thus will no doubt be dismissed when something of real weight actually happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9