• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cross Ange Anime Gets English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
There is no clear insert spoiler here

This is correct for the most part. spoiler[If you don't count Riza using drugs during a sex scene.]
Quote:
Guessing you won't be back to see this, but what translation error?

In the first half of ep 23 spoiler[Ange confronted Jill that episode about what Embryo did to her. Among the lines, something should have been translated to "took everything from you" was translated to "raped you", heavily contradicts what was in the flashbacks.] I did not wanted to support Crunchyroll after all the various translation errors that never get corrected (or self censoring like they did with Witch Craft Works), but then they licensed Ultraman and they are Tsubaraya's only hope of beating Chaiyo once and for all. Sad
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:
Not sure what's funnier? This shows failed attempt at being an exciting or well done mecha anime or even a trashy one or the people who spout garbage like this? But its like people say person's trash is another person's treasure Rolling Eyes

If you've seen the whole series and can honestly say that you didn't see substantial character development and growth then I have to wonder what you were actually watching. The Ange at the end of the series is an utterly different person than the Angelise at the beginning, and that change clearly comes in stages. (Admittedly, though, you do have to get a few episodes into the series before this really starts to show.)

Now, you're certainly welcome to regard the show as trashy despite that, because it is. However, it seems to me like you either haven't watched it all or are ignoring what it does right so you can bash the show. Also, you're in danger of crossing a line with comments like "people who spout garbage like this" - and I'm saying that as a Moderator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mertal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Yes, there are worse Hentai Anime out there. Way way worse. But none of them are being Dubbed for retail sale or even to be possibly shown on TV like Toonami.

It just saddens me that this is taken so lightly by so many people. My bad, I guess I should have expected this. What ever. I'm done here.
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Black Thunder 6 wrote:
Not sure what's funnier? This shows failed attempt at being an exciting or well done mecha anime or even a trashy one or the people who spout garbage like this? But its like people say person's trash is another person's treasure Rolling Eyes

If you've seen the whole series and can honestly say that you didn't see substantial character development and growth then I have to wonder what you were actually watching. The Ange at the end of the series is an utterly different person than the Angelise at the beginning, and that change clearly comes in stages. (Admittedly, though, you do have to get a few episodes into the series before this really starts to show.)

Now, you're certainly welcome to regard the show as trashy despite that, because it is. However, it seems to me like you either haven't watched it all or are ignoring what it does right so you can bash the show. Also, you're in danger of crossing a line with comments like "people who spout garbage like this" - and I'm saying that as a Moderator.

You mean the Ange that started the show as a self centered jackass was different from the Ange in the end who was a self centered jackass who let an entire civilization rot (Not my problem) at the end of the show when they were just as much victims as everyone else? You mean the stupid ignorant Ange in the beginning was different from the stupid ignorant Ange by the end? I guess the difference in that in the beginning everyone just shat on her while later on even when she was wrong the plot just handed her a "Tusk" anyways to save her when she does something stupid and nobody calls her out on it because she's an MC in a Fukuda anime and you can't do that. What great character development, I'm sure you're gonna tell me how great the animation and mecha battles were re-used animation and QUALITY abound. Rolling Eyes

And oh no, Cross Ange isn't bad because its trashy there's plenty of actually good trashy mecha anime like Godannar, Cross Ange is bad because its neither amusing in its schlock or titillating its the anine equivalent of Sharknado 2, tries to hard but has no lasting value in the end.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:
There is no clear insert spoiler here

This is correct for the most part. spoiler[If you don't count Riza using drugs during a sex scene.]

You know, I never really considered that. They were having sex and she had intentionally taken away his ability to consent so I think I'll have to take back what I said. The series does have a woman raping a man.

DuelGundam2099 wrote:
In the first half of ep 23 spoiler[Ange confronted Jill that episode about what Embryo did to her. Among the lines, something should have been translated to "took everything from you" was translated to "raped you", heavily contradicts what was in the flashbacks.] I did not wanted to support Crunchyroll after all the various translation errors that never get corrected (or self censoring like they did with Witch Craft Works), but then they licensed Ultraman and they are Tsubaraya's only hope of beating Chaiyo once and for all. Sad

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. You seem to be just assuming a translation was wrong when you don't actually understand the Japanese. The word used was tegome (手籠め) which in fact does mean rape. And no, this word can't also be used like the english word 'rape' to mean "an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation." It specifically refers to rape as in forced intercourse. Here is the definition:
女性の意思に反して性行為に屈しることを女性に強要することの犯罪

Now you are right that it doesn't match the flashbacks. But you are ignoring that spoiler[Ange doesn't actually know the specifics. She quite likely assumed Jill was raped by him because he planned on raping her.]

Black Thunder 6 wrote:
You mean the Ange that started the show as a self centered jackass was different from the Ange in the end who was a self centered jackass who let an entire civilization rot (Not my problem) at the end of the show when they were just as much victims as everyone else?

Not sure what you were watching. Ange in the beginning was a sheltered idealistic girl. She very much cared about other people, but she was too sheltered to see the problems.

Ange in the end realizes that you can't just hand people some magical perfect world. Each person has to work for their happiness, and not only will any paradise that you hand them be flawed but it cripples their ability to be independent. Letting them rely on her is just as flawed as when they relied on Embyro. She learned those things through her experiences.

Yes, she leaves the other world saying it isn't her problem, but it isn't her problem. However, by doing that, she is forcing them to learn to be independent like she had to.

She also by the end accepted that there were limits to what she (or a person in general) could do on their own. Her taking it on herself to try to fix everything in the other world wouldn't be pragmatic at all.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, you're certainly entitled to express your opinion (as long as you're not insulting people), Black Thunder 6. And I'm equally entitled to express that I think you're wrong. That's what's great about tightly-moderated anime forums, isn't it?

SilverTalon01 wrote:
Now you are right that it doesn't match the flashbacks. But you are ignoring that spoiler[Ange doesn't actually know the specifics. She quite likely assumed Jill was raped by him because he planned on raping her.]

To add to what ST1 said here, I think people also commonly forget that spoiler[Ange was specifically trying to get Jill's goat there, and so was deliberately using the most provocative possible phrasing. Whether it was entirely accurate or not was irrelevant to here.]

EDIT:
Mertal wrote:
Yes, there are worse Hentai Anime out there. Way way worse. But none of them are being Dubbed for retail sale or even to be possibly shown on TV like Toonami.

I don't think you have anything to worry about on the latter. People who think this could actually end up on Toonami are dreaming.

As for the former? Unless I missed it (and it's possible I did), no one was talking about Hentai series. Besides, plenty of those have been dubbed, too. (In fact, hentai released subbed-only in the States is pretty rare.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
You seem to be just assuming a translation was wrong when you don't actually understand the Japanese.

I was told otherwise by another person that (supposedly) understood Japanese at Anime Suki, it appears that I got irked over being relayed misinformation. Laughing Thanks ST zero-one.
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Not sure what you were watching. Ange in the beginning was a sheltered idealistic girl. She very much cared about other people, but she was too sheltered to see the problems.

Not sure what you were watching. In the beginning she was ignorant and by the end she was ignorant and yeah she did very much care for her "own kind" in the end by sweeping tge other under the rug but apparently this is considered character growty because she's a bitch now. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Ange in the end realizes that you can't just hand people some magical perfect world. Each person has to work for their happiness, and not only will any paradise that you hand them be flawed but it cripples their ability to be independent. Letting them rely on her is just as flawed as when they relied on Embyro. She learned those things through her experiences.

Yet in the end she was able to rely on her special magical robot to transport into another world where she can live in paradise with her own kind. But who cares becausethey were mean and ignorant just like her.

Quote:
Yes, she leaves the other world saying it isn't her problem, but it isn't her problem. However, by doing that, she is forcing them to learn to be independent like she had to

She also by the end accepted that there were limits to what she (or a person in general) could do on their own. Her taking it on herself to try to fix everything in the other world wouldn't be pragmatic at all.

Yeah just her GIANT MAGIC DIMENSION HOPING ROBOT. Edited out unnecessary, insulting language. Remember to keep things civil, folks. --willag
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:
Not sure what you were watching. In the beginning she was ignorant and by the end she was ignorant and yeah she did very much care for her "own kind" in the end by sweeping tge other under the rug but apparently this is considered character growty because she's a bitch now. Rolling Eyes

How is she ignorant at the end? She's no longer naive or idealistic and even knows how the truth behind the world works.

Use specifics, please, because everything in the last 2/3 of the series seems to contradict your claim here.

Quote:
Yet in the end she was able to rely on her special magical robot to transport into another world where she can live in paradise with her own kind.

So what? She worked pretty damned hard to get to the point where she could do that. It certainly wasn't handed to her.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
I was told otherwise by another person that (supposedly) understood Japanese at Anime Suki, it appears that I got irked over being relayed misinformation. Laughing Thanks ST zero-one.

Kinda surprised to hear that is where you got it. There are lots of Japanese speakers on their forums who I would have thought would have corrected the misinformation, though I guess not in that thread.

Anyway, whoever was very, very wrong.

Key wrote:
How is she ignorant at the end? She's no longer naive or idealistic and even knows how the truth behind the world works.

Use specifics, please, because everything in the last 2/3 of the series seems to contradict your claim here.

Exactly. She learned the flaws in idealism and the dangers of naiveté. Pretty much the exact opposite of remaining ignorant.

Black Thunder 6 wrote:
Yet in the end she was able to rely on her special magical robot to transport into another world where she can live in paradise with her own kind. But who cares becausethey were mean and ignorant just like her.

She could have been with her 'own kind' in either world. The dragon people weren't really 'her kind'. Neither was their world a paradise. What Embryo did had an effect on both worlds. Sure, one lost the pillar of their mana civilization in addition to physical destruction, but it isn't like nothing happened to the other.

And why should she stay? It isn't just that the people there were mean to her. The dragons were actively friendly towards her. Would you rather live surrounded by people who are actively friendly or surrounded by people who at best want to use you? That isn't Ange being ignorant or selfish. It is her not being a masochist.
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:33 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

You do realize that ignorance and naivety are two different things right? Because you can still be an ignorant jackass without being naive or idealistic which Ange was up until the end.

Quote:

So what? She worked pretty damned hard to get to the point where she could do that. It certainly wasn't handed to her.

[EDIT: Your posts have already been edited in this thread for tacking on insults against people who actually like the show. Do this again and you'll start seeing your posts deleted entirely instead. - Key]
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching the first episode. I must say, the whole anime should have been gritty and dark. All the bright colors will have you believing something good will come out of this...

WRONG!

spoiler[The princess chick is stripped down in the wierdest way and given a brutal cavity search. Toward the end credits, we see her lying on her tattered clothes with blood stains on them.] It makes me wonder if prison guards are allowed to do that when the prisoner is underaged.

No one should have watched this anime to the end. It's not pretty.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:
You do realize that ignorance and naivety are two different things right? Because you can still be an ignorant jackass without being naive or idealistic which Ange was up until the end.

Sorry, but ignorant by definition means lack of knowledge; uninformed. In part of what you quoted Key said that Ange "knows how the truth behind the world works" which would make her by definition not ignorant. And if you are going to argue that she didn't learn how the world works, you clearly didn't pay attention because she is repeatedly and brutally taught that throughout the series.

animechic420 wrote:
I just finished watching the first episode. I must say, the whole anime should have been gritty and dark. All the bright colors will have you believing something good will come out of this...

WRONG!

spoiler[The princess chick is stripped down in the wierdest way and given a brutal cavity search. Toward the end credits, we see her lying on her tattered clothes with blood stains on them.] It makes me wonder if prison guards are allowed to do that when the prisoner is underaged.

No one should have watched this anime to the end. It's not pretty.

Yeah, I can agree with that. The bright colors, as well as the fan service, really get in the way of what could have been an excellent dark and gritty story in the first couple episodes. That said, the story doesn't really go there. It is really more of just a crazy ride story so in the end, I think it works alright. Darker and less shiny colors would have made me want to take the series seriously, and you definitely shouldn't do that.

The only one we saw treated like that was Ange though, and she just had her coming of age ceremony so who knows. They don't consider Norma to be human so... That said, most are brought in as babies (basically required a royal cover up for Ange to not be found out incredibly early), and seeing as how they have a special education on the island, the others probably literally learn their place from childhood.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Forgot Sentai had the license to this one. Would have been surprised if had been released subbed-only, as it seemed to be pretty popular and is closer to mainstream than a lot of sub-only titles that they have put out.

Don't see it as CN series, though. The fan service aspect is too heavy.

not quite. considering that Kill la Kill was released on AS and it was very heavy in fanservice, its possible. and Sentai will definitely be adding a new series there now that Akame ga Kill has ended its run and Parasyte is about to finish theirs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Suncraft

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
This will be amazing. Really enjoyed it the first time through.

Totally worth the ride.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5