• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Signs Deal With Fuji TV to Exclusively Stream Noitamina Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
It breaks down to $8.25 per month, and you get two day shipping and a few other services thrown in. The only real problems are (A) regional restrictions screw over non-American fans, and (B) this furthers the fragmentation of streaming services.

The extras don't help because I never use Amazon for anything at all. The second part is what bothers me the most, though. I pay for Crunchyroll, Funimation, Hulu (without ads) and Netflix. Plus I have free accounts on a handful of other legal streaming sites, too. I don't want to add another company to the list, especially not one I would have to pay for to only watch one show a season.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Another PERSONAL issue I have with this is the same issue I have with FUNimation. I run Ubuntu (not Windows) at home, and in their zeal to protect their material FUNi and Amazon Prime both have their own utility that doesn't play particularly well with my operating system.

What they are protecting is other people's content, and if they didn't make steps to do so, they wouldn't be allowed to stream that content at all (see also: region locked streams and discs, locked subtitles on discs etc.)
I don't believe either have any form of "utility" for any PC operating system however? Outside of phones. tablets, streaming devices and gaming systems both platforms are web-based.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

The real question is whether they intend on doing anything with the remainder of those "worldwide rights" in the near term.

Probably the same thing Funi's done all these years with their rights for the entire American continent Rolling Eyes

Bleh, I'll do what I do with Funi shows. Total dick move from FujiTV to make this unavailable for pretty much everyone outside of four or five countries, but then again, Japanese companies have never seemed very interested in reaching the worldwide market with their anime. It's a bummer because I do try to keep up with noitaminA shows, but eh, I'll continue with my "alternative" methods I guess
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
This is interesting, now how long before we see consolidation in the streaming sphere start?

Probably never, since we're consistently moving away from it. Not long ago, CR had most of the legal streams each season. Now they're split between it and Funi, Netflix, and now Amazon. Some stuff is only on Daisuki or some other oddball site. And this is just for anime...

Streaming services are starting to morph into the same pricey channel bundles and HBO and whatever else they get up to on regular TV. Some still have ads on everything even with subscriptions. Gotta milk that money. But with anime, it's likely to backfire, because fansubs are always available.

Honestly, I think the main reason I don't watch much anime anymore is because fewer and fewer shows make it to CR, and I'm too stubborn to go back to fansubs or buy an ever-increasing number of extra subscriptions.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Amazon to exclusively stream Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress inside, outside of Japan

What are Amazon now? Vandelay Industries? Wink
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
damn you, free market capitalism.
bring back fascist economic monopolies.

am a'igth, everyone? Laughing
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I already have Prime so it isn't a huge deal to me personally, but I'm in agreement with people expressing frustration that another service is needed to watch anime.
Koda89

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Welp, goodbye watching noitaminA shows that aren't licensed directly from the license holder in Japan(like Aniplex). Crying or Very sad

I love the shows the block gives us but I won't pay for Prime just for them.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Like a lot of people you are comparing a yearly subscription with monthly ones. All in all, the prices are fairly comparable, with Hulu++ being the most expensive one.

I was going to note this, but while it IS true, (and I don't think "price" is the issue here), the last time I checked (and I admit it's been a while) you can ONLY register for Prime annually (as opposed to monthly), and so while the ACTUAL price is definitely comparable, the "sticker shock" is much higher. Its a marketing gimmick, but looking at CR and saying "$7/month is nothing" is different from looking at Amazon and saying "I don't have $100 to spend on anime". Again, I AGREE that it shouldn't be a show-stopper, but I understand that it will be for some people.
Shiroi Hane wrote:
What they are protecting is other people's content, and if they didn't make steps to do so, they wouldn't be allowed to stream that content at all (see also: region locked streams and discs, locked subtitles on discs etc.)
I don't believe either have any form of "utility" for any PC operating system however? Outside of phones. tablets, streaming devices and gaming systems both platforms are web-based.

For point #1, that's a wonderful THEORY, but much like (many?) video game companies have learned, complicated protection schemes really only hurt the LEGITIMATE customers. The pirates break your stuff anyway and your "blocks" only bother the people who WANT to give you their business. (You can find plenty of pirate streams/downloads for FUNi shows WITH the FUNi bumpers still on them)

Regarding Point #2, in THEORY you'd be correct, but in practice my wife and I have found various "browser based" functionality to be "quirky" at best and downright broken at worst. Ignoring that even on WINDOWS systems I've seen browser functions go sideways depending on your browser, OS (Windows version), hardware, etc, I can say for a fact that we've had issues with various streamer portals. One reason I'm a STRONG proponent of CR is that their web portal has been rock solid. Their Android app was a little glitchy to start, but has gotten much better. OTOH, FUNi's has been a mess for me, and I've heard complaints even from Windows users. My wife got Prime a ways back planning to watch TV shows/movies on there (turns out the ones she wanted weren't on there, YAY more fracturing) and we had a lot of hassles getting the thing running.

Part of this I FULLY admit, I have only myself to blame (I CHOSE to run an non-"standard" OS), but I'm saying it is a BIG hassle when each stupid vendor has to put their OWN "clever" twist on how to present the content. We're also annoyed that SOME of the streamers are even keeping ads in the streams EVEN when you're paying for it. So, you PAY to watch the content, and they "double-dip" by shoving ads at you also. That specific practice is another reason I favor CrunchyRoll.

(Hulu currently ticks me off by not even allowing you to see WHAT they have unless you log in to their system (ie. have an account), so I need to join their service JUST to see if they have anything I want to watch)
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Don't talk to me about Funi's player. I can't even use it on Chrome or Firefox anymore, so I have to use Edge (oh the humanity). I contacted support and it didn't fix the issue (and they took so long to respond they gave me a free month). Luckily it hasn't been much of an issue since I got my Roku this past Christmas. Definitely suggest getting it. Base model is under $40 on Amazon, incidentally. Even the one I have is under 100 bucks. Funi's new app has been a disappointment, as they are way late putting up the most recent episodes, so I have to use my Roku anyways.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Luckily it hasn't been much of an issue since I got my Roku this past Christmas. Definitely suggest getting it.

I really do appreciate the review of Roku. We got a BD player with "streaming apps/features" for Christmas and I had high hopes for using that for things. But it runs an Opera variant system and apparently the viewing apps are REALLY limited on that. Looking at Roku reviews on Amazon, it apparently does have a very expansive set of available options so I may look into that.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Like a lot of people you are comparing a yearly subscription with monthly ones. All in all, the prices are fairly comparable, with Hulu++ being the most expensive one.

I was going to note this, but while it IS true, (and I don't think "price" is the issue here), the last time I checked (and I admit it's been a while) you can ONLY register for Prime annually (as opposed to monthly), and so while the ACTUAL price is definitely comparable, the "sticker shock" is much higher. Its a marketing gimmick, but looking at CR and saying "$7/month is nothing" is different from looking at Amazon and saying "I don't have $100 to spend on anime". Again, I AGREE that it shouldn't be a show-stopper, but I understand that it will be for some people.

Yeah, the "sticker shock" price was what I was trying to say in my earilier post about the price differences.
You are correct in that (unless they change things in the last month or so), you can't pay Amazon Prime per month - you have to buy it annually. So you'd be paying around $99 plus tax total upfront in order to get Prime.

Sure, if you break it down, the average cost of Prime per month is about the same as Hulu, Netflix, ect. But for some people, they may not feel it's worth to shell out that much money upfront just to watch , for example, one show on Prime if they don't have any plans on using the other Prime exclusive services. As a Prime user, I wish there was a way I could get a reduced cost on the service by not using their movie/TV streaming part, but I understand that's not going to happen (and can easily guess why).

And of course the "Great, now I have to sign up or subscribe to another company/service just to watch _______?" situation. Before I got rid of them, I mainly had kept Hulu for Sailor Moon and Netflix for a handful a shows. I only bothered with Daisuki when they had S3 Kuroko no Basket episodes two weeks before CR would be able to play them. I only use CR now, so a show doesn't appear on there I'll just miss out on it.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
Luckily it hasn't been much of an issue since I got my Roku this past Christmas. Definitely suggest getting it.

I really do appreciate the review of Roku. We got a BD player with "streaming apps/features" for Christmas and I had high hopes for using that for things. But it runs an Opera variant system and apparently the viewing apps are REALLY limited on that. Looking at Roku reviews on Amazon, it apparently does have a very expansive set of available options so I may look into that.

Most pertinently it has Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, CR, Funi, Viewster, and I think someone mentioned sling tv, which it has, YouTube, and a lot more. Not sure about anime network but they put their stuff on Hulu anyhow. Daisuki doesn't have a channel but most of their stuff is on Hulu (I think they still have God Eater going to Hulu on a week delay).

Also Opera?! Cheesy petes, I have only used it on my last feature phone like 4 years and two phones ago. Better than the Internet browser installed on the phone at the time but still.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

Seriously, any anime fan that doesn't have a Roku is missing a bet, big time. We watch Crunchy, Funi, Netflix, Hulu, and now Amazon on it. And other than the last two having particularly user violent interfaces, we love it. We even toss it in our suitcase when traveling.

And to wrench this at least partially back on topic... that's a big black mark against Amazon streaming. On pretty much every platform I've encountered it, the UI is hideous.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:35 pm Reply with quote
So what will be the impact for the DVD/Blu Ray releases of these shows?

Will Amazon release physical copies or just be streaming them?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7