• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Spring 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
This thread is for:

Discussing the daily streaming reviews schedule.

What this thread is not for:

Literally anything else.

Back on topic or it's locked.
CoffeeIdol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Great line up, hopefully Nick's brain won't suffer a Mari Okada overload. Also, i just want to say i enjoy the hard work you all do every season, it can't be easy to push out this many reviews every week, but i appreciate the effort! i'm really looking forward to reading the daily reviews this season.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy that Theron is reviewing Re:Zero, since with these kind of shows I'm sure there will be plenty to analyze in each episode, and he is my favorite reviewer. He can disagree without coming off as disagreeable.

And I've always enjoyed reading his reviews on boob shows ever since Cross Ange, so I'll be following his Netoge review too. I even picked up Asterisk War s1 because he was reviewing it, although I ended up dropping it since it's garbage even by magic battle harem standards.

Wish he would also cover Flying Witch though, but I guess SoL isn't his kind of thing.

Last edited by kinghumanity on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
That diverse ANN readership also includes some who appreciate reading commentary with a higher(?) level of vocabulary. I didn't consider Rebecca's comment to be bragging, but a self-awareness that her reviews do often have a more literary tone or focus (though I've never found them overly "academic" or difficult to read). I enjoy the writing style and perspective that she brings to her reviews here Smile

Agreed. And I can't understand why anyone would think it a bad thing that the person who frequently makes literary references in her reviews is reviewing the show that is a living vehicle for literary references. I'm sure she'll pick up on things that I miss, so I'm looking forward to reading her reviews. (I thought even before it aired that Bungou was clearly a Rebecca show, and I was not disappointed. Wink )
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
lys wrote:
That diverse ANN readership also includes some who appreciate reading commentary with a higher(?) level of vocabulary. I didn't consider Rebecca's comment to be bragging, but a self-awareness that her reviews do often have a more literary tone or focus (though I've never found them overly "academic" or difficult to read). I enjoy the writing style and perspective that she brings to her reviews here Smile

Agreed. And I can't understand why anyone would think it a bad thing that the person who frequently makes literary references in her reviews is reviewing the show that is a living vehicle for literary references. I'm sure she'll pick up on things that I miss, so I'm looking forward to reading her reviews. (I thought even before it aired that Bungou was clearly a Rebecca show, and I was not disappointed. Wink )

I don't know about others, but I appreciate having an English professor review and analyze my bouncing boobie Chinese cartoons.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Wish he would also cover Flying Witch though, but I guess SoL isn't his kind of thing.

Oh, it was on my "willing to do" list, but I suspect that it was probably one of the most-requested titles among the reviewers, and something like that isn't going to fall to someone who doesn't make it their #1 pick for the season.

Besides, just because it may end up being one of the season's best shows doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to be the easiest to write about. When a show is consistently awesome, it can actually get rather hard to comment on week-to-week without repeating yourself. (Case in point: Although I loved Yuki Yuna is a Hero to death, I struggled to write about some episodes because its quality almost never dipped.) That's why I love reviewing week-to-week on shows like Cross Ange and Aldnoah.Zero: because they're always walking that line between being great and being crap, there's a lot more to dissect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
digiboy123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is flipping amazing,imo! A series hasn't had me this excited for a show in a good while. Looking forward to some reviews that match my enthusiasm and joy for this show!
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

Oh, it was on my "willing to do" list, but I suspect that it was probably one of the most-requested titles among the reviewers, and something like that isn't going to fall to someone who doesn't make it their #1 pick for the season.

Besides, just because it may end up being one of the season's best shows doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to be the easiest to write about. When a show is consistently awesome, it can actually get rather hard to comment on week-to-week without repeating yourself. (Case in point: Although I loved Yuki Yuna is a Hero to death, I struggled to write about some episodes because its quality almost never dipped.) That's why I love reviewing week-to-week on shows like Cross Ange and Aldnoah.Zero: because they're always walking that line between being great and being crap, there's a lot more to dissect.

Hey Theron, speaking of reviewing, did you watch digibro's brutal dissection on how Asterisk War sucks?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Hey Theron, speaking of reviewing, did you watch digibro's brutal dissection on how Asterisk War sucks?

Oh, someone else pointed it out to me, so I've watched a bit of it. While I thought he had a few interesting points, he ultimately felt to me like he was looking for excuses to hate it. The criticisms he was levying could just as well be applied to innumerable other series, so I didn't get why he was singling that one out. Even within its peculiar subgenre, there are far worse examples out there - and ones far more deserving of the effort - than The Asterisk War.

Last edited by Key on Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
XChampion wrote:
What? Still no Dragonball Super reviews. I bet they dont want reviews where 80% of the critique is talking about terrible animation Laughing I can see why its still left off the listm

I love how you guys keep saying this, even though it was like 20 episodes ago, and the studio even said those scenes were done by interns. The show has improved significantly since then.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

Oh, someone else pointed it out to me, so I've watch a bit of it. While I thought he had a few interesting points, he ultimately felt to me like he was looking for excuses to hate it. The criticisms he was levying could just as well be applied to innumerable other series, so I didn't get why he was singling that one out. Even within its peculiar subgenre, there are far worse examples out there - and ones far more deserving of the effort - than The Asterisk War.

Probably because no one is watching those examples. But since Asterisk War got 2 seasons and many commercialized products, while many arguably far better shows are less commercially successful, you can see why someone who might not like this genre is a little frustrated.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

Oh, someone else pointed it out to me, so I've watched a bit of it. While I thought he had a few interesting points, he ultimately felt to me like he was looking for excuses to hate it. The criticisms he was levying could just as well be applied to innumerable other series, so I didn't get why he was singling that one out. Even within its peculiar subgenre, there are far worse examples out there - and ones far more deserving of the effort - than The Asterisk War.

That pretty much sums up Digibro in all of his videos. Unnecessary hate and nitpicking against one aspect of a series to get a rise out of it's fanbase. He's essentially the king of flamebaiting on Youtube right now.

Anyway, I am looking forward to reading your RE:ZERO write ups. I think it's going to be a rollarcoaster experience, and a LOT of fun, regardless of whether or not it's actually good.
Netoge as well, actually. Maybe not quite as much of a rollarcoaster(though I'd love for it to prove otherwise), but it's undoubtedly going to be fun trash. Very Happy
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote
Funny, I thought the reviewers for Haifuri and Girls Online (God I hate how that title was translated) would be switched, given that Haifuri feels a tad like School-Live!. That, and I was under the (probably wrong) impression that Paul was the unofficial fanservice guy given his run on Monster Musume.

Also, just curious, but is there some kind of deadline for when "new" shows start streaming reviews? Like, do you wait til every show has at least a second episode up, or is it just when all the shows are done premiering?
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:01 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Funny, I thought the reviewers for Haifuri and Girls Online (God I hate how that title was translated) would be switched, given that Haifuri feels a tad like School-Live!. That, and I was under the (probably wrong) impression that Paul was the unofficial fanservice guy given his run on Monster Musume.

Also, just curious, but is there some kind of deadline for when "new" shows start streaming reviews? Like, do you wait til every show has at least a second episode up, or is it just when all the shows are done premiering?

It depends. For example, the sunday the daily streaming review poll was done, and the same day aired My Hero Academia Episode 2, so they put out the review with both episodes. To be sure, they just wait until another episode airs to not overload the site with streaming reviews. Otherwise, they could put up a Joker Game Episode 1 review on monday, and the next day they also have to review episode 2. It'd be a drag to write that much on short notice and it would bother the userbase to have the whole page full of reviews.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
A given series' streaming reviews will usually start with the first episode airing on or after the designated start date (the 11th in this case), with the first such review covering each episode aired up to that point. (Unless that person is one of the Preview Guide contributors, in which case he/she may not rehash episode 1.) For instance, in my case I'll be doing the first streaming review for Girls Online tomorrow, and that will cover ep 2 only, while I'll be doing the first streaming review for Re:Zero on Sunday and it will cover eps 2 and 3. Likewise, the next streaming review for The Asterisk War will be done on Saturday and cover episodes 14 and 15.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6