• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Power Rangers Film's 'Translucent Extraterrestrial Armor' Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Someone tell me I just imagined people in this forum are complaining the new Power Rangers movie doesn't have enough white people in it. Shocked
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
ok then give new designs outfit of power rangers suits to whole rita outfit yet all this re-imagine re-doing on mmpr all in 2017.

let just wait for trailers then yea so everyone can feel on it?
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Dave Rapoza started a paintover, but gave up.

https://twitter.com/DaveRapoza/status/728389469079011328
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
All due respect, not a fan of the new looks.

Wish they get original with the armor design than using the overused armorish looks that Marvel and DC been using for the last decade.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I'm not too sure how to feel...
They are cool-looking and do fit into what I think is a "modern day" MMPR, but at the same time they're so far off from the original that my nostalgic love for the series is turned off.

Wouldn't a modern-day Sentai costume be any of the recent series? Zyuohger or Ninninger?

I was worried they would turn them into a superhero costume, but I didn't expect a complete Iron Man rip off. Though Bandora looking like Loki's sister should have been a tip off.
I'm not familiar with either of those, sorry. I've only watched the first few seasons that were brought to the US when I was a kid, so any other outfits worn by the Rangers I wouldn't have a clue about. I'm thinking modernized for this day and age in comparison to the versions I watched back in the early 90s.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I guest the Rangers get their equipment from Stark Industries.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Guile wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I'm not too sure how to feel...
They are cool-looking and do fit into what I think is a "modern day" MMPR, but at the same time they're so far off from the original that my nostalgic love for the series is turned off.

Wouldn't a modern-day Sentai costume be any of the recent series? Zyuohger or Ninninger?

I was worried they would turn them into a superhero costume, but I didn't expect a complete Iron Man rip off. Though Bandora looking like Loki's sister should have been a tip off.
I'm not familiar with either of those, sorry. I've only watched the first few seasons that were brought to the US when I was a kid, so any other outfits worn by the Rangers I wouldn't have a clue about. I'm thinking modernized for this day and age in comparison to the versions I watched back in the early 90s.

I'm with Guile, though: Japan makes theatrical releases for Super Sentai all the time, and they just use the same costumes as the TV show, which is more often than not just spandex.

Provided, the movies are low budget kiddie fare (as is Super Sentai in general)--no real pretense, so no real need to be "edgy".
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm a long time Power Rangers fan and have been since I was a kid and I seriously don't see anything wrong with these updated costumes, what did you expect for a big budget Hollywood adaptation spandex? Hell No there going to go with an edgier more stylish look for the next generation and I don't have a problem with it. Cool
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I figured the reaction to the reveal of these would be polarizing. Anybody who thought that they'd go for the typical spandex suits is frankly delusional. That being said, for all the talk they made about it symbolizing "metamorphosis" and "catalysm", I was expecting these to look more organic and less armoured than they are.
I don't mind them, but honestly, they look too mechanical. Black Ranger looks like he was made from spare Batman and Robocop parts.

Also, I don't think it's worth adding anymore that Frank will make a cameo, on account of he's apparently barred from entering Canada, and people at Lionsgates have a problem with him.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, main problems I have with the suits are that the heads look strange, especially Red Rangers. Like the shape looks a bit off to me. Mouths look off putting. The females are in heels? And the females' chest plates.

And, as others mentioned, they do remind me of Iron Man. Don't hate the males' suits from the neck down.

But, will hold off totally hating these suits into I see them moving. So will wait for a preview. There's been many times where I've not liked still images for designs, then actually like them when they're moving around.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Re:SOUL wrote:
Do they look cool? A little. Would I call this Power Rangers? Not in the slightest. The designer mustn't be a fan of the franchise since they took costumes from a franchise where they're primarily cloth and mechanized. It's perverse. If this were any other comic book film there is no way that this would be accepted; if Marvel had done thus to Spider-Man and dared called this his standard costume people would riot.

And yet not a single soul rioted over the costume that was used for the entirety of Amazing Spider-Man nor the one being used in Civil War.

Actually, people were quite vocal about the suit from the first Amazing Spider-Man like the "tennis shoes" "tiny, yellow eyes" and departure from the comics. This was precisely why people thought the suit in the sequel was the best one to date. And in fact lot of people like the costume in Civil War because it was a well done updating of classic Spider-Man's costume, many commenting that it was like Ditko's Spider-Man came off the page.

People are saying "what you rather they kept the spandex?" Well firstly, the costumes don't seem to be made of spandex anymore, you can tell by how loose the costumes are these days. Secondly, superheroes wear spandex in the comics but, they don't where them in the films and still look good, don't they? Look at Deadpool who wears a skin-tight suit in the comics but transitioned well into his movie.

The problem isn't that the costume is armoured, it's just that it's so overdesigned and if it weren't for the colours you wouldn't have even thought that these were Power Ranger costumes. I respect that this is the first Power Rangers created entirely by the west though and this is how they're doing it so it doesn't have to adhere to the aesthetics layed out by Super Sentai. The designer could have just tried harder to make the costumes resemble the source costumes more.

I find it strange that many hated how Shredder was done in 2014's TMNT which still resembled Shredder but people say that this is fine.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
They make me think more of Kikaider Rangers. But I gotta give 'em props for going for the more traditional sentai look.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:21 am Reply with quote
Out of all of these posts not one person has pointed out the greatest offense of this image:

NO POSING!

Without that, this isn't Power Rangers / Super Sentai no matter what you do.
Togame

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:23 am Reply with quote
There's nothing wrong with camp. Those suits are just bad.
If you wanna good superhero costumes, look at Black Panter/Ant-Man in MCU, pilot suits in Pacific Rim or even Superman in Man of Steel.
Savion

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
[
Diversity. Though to be fair, so was the original except in a silly way with the black ranger being black, and the yellow ranger being yellow. In this case, the diversity doesn't feel forced since the original already had forced diversity, so I don't mind too much.

"Forced diversity" is such a ridiculous term especially in regards to frickin' power rangers which (along with being entirely fictional) has always had a multiracial cast. You could argue its forced diversity they included anyone except Asians (specifically Japanese people) as PR is based on the japanese Super Sentai series.

Togame wrote:
There's nothing wrong with camp. Those suits are just bad.
If you wanna good superhero costumes, look at Black Panter/Ant-Man in MCU, pilot suits in Pacific Rim or even Superman in Man of Steel.

True those are all good suits. I'm not the best with design terminology but I think the ranger suits are over designed, too many contrasting lines? If they removed those glowing lines it'd streamline the look more and it'd be easier on the eyes. I like the blue one though he reminds me of Guyver. One thing bothering about the girls isn't the heels (which I didn't notice) but the perky prominent breast plates.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6