• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seven Manga That Need An English Release Right Now

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:33 am Reply with quote
Seeing a list like this, always one series comes immediately to mind. And, that one is The World God Only Knows. Not only was it a long harem series, but one where a girl is chosen at the end. Loved the anime, and wish it'd (somehow) get a final season, but would be very happy to see it released in English.

Most series that aren't licensed are have had anime adaptions that I've enjoyed. Though, in recent times, my unlicensed list has shrunk. Mainly due to Orange and Horimiya (both series I only knew by their reputations) getting licensed.

Still, there are some left on my list.

In the article, there is a mention of some mangaka having work licensed, and then some other series they've created doesn't get touched. And, as a big fan of Strobe Edge, I still am unsure as to why Blue Spring Ride (enjoyed the anime for that one) hasn't been picked up.

Another example of this is So Cute It Hurts being licensed...but not Uwasa no Midori-kun. I'm a big So Cute fan, and would like to be able to read another of the mangaka's work. Being a big soccer fan, Midori-kun seems like something I would enjoy.

Third one that fits this same category is Orange and Yumemiru Taiyou. Really seems like the shoujo I read tend to lead me down the path of looking at a mangaka's other works. I'd say the difference here is that I just really want to see another of Takano's works licensed after Orange. Fingers crossed.

Okay, so I'm not going to list everything I'd like to see licensed, but will add one more. This is a series I only know due to it's reputation, and all the online discussion I've read relating to this series really makes it sound like something I'd enjoy. Personally, I've not read a story like it (where it shares a similarity with the earlier mentioned Yumemiru Taiyou), and that series is Taiyou no Ie. I remember this one catching my eye after I saw a report on it winning a Kodansha award a year or two ago.

Hmm, the majority of what I've listed is shoujo, I think. And, I'm definitely not in the target demo for it...but they're the series on my radar. Laughing
lys

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote
re: Ali07, I think both Orange and So Cute are still recent enough publications that time (and sales) will tell whether more of the artists' works get licensed here. (I couldn't wait, so I already bought Yumemiru Taiyou in Japanese. And now I'm buying the rerelease editions because I'm a silly Ichigo Takano fangirl like that. they have touched-up art and dialogue though, and different bonus comics at the end! her bonus comics are The Cutest.)

I've given up expecting Blue Spring Ride (though I still like to hope). I picked that one up in Japanese too, and now am following her new series. Reading whole series has been good practice for me! (and Amazon Japan makes it tempting with manga sets available, since the shipping counts as just one item so you can get a really good deal on the total cost.)

My want-to-see-licensed list would probably be made up of really old shoujo (60s-70s), moderately old Hana to Yume/LaLa shoujo (~80s-early 90s. anything by Miyuki Yamaguchi...) and contemporary josei-seinen series I'm hesitant to read in Japanese because I'm still fairly useless without furigana.
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
EastN3 wrote:
This article made me very aware that I am male and have very different tastes from women.
Cool

I'm female, and the vast majority of what I've read and watched is shonen/seinen. I had a lot of preconceived notions about shoujo before I read it (mostly that it was all mushy pre-teen girls in flowery, fancy dresses being lusted after by their cold, sinister, 20-something professors). I thought I'd never be able to relate to it. And while some of that stuff does exist, there's a lot of other stuff that's really great.

I really enjoyed Cardcaptor Sakura (someday I'll have to watch the anime) and Chobits (which is apparently actually a seinen manga?), I've seen/read bits of Ouran High School Host Club, which is hysterical and heartwarming, I loved what little I saw of Princess Jellyfish, and I keep meaning to finally watch Sailor Moon and Utena.

I admit, the vast majority of what I know about anime and manga is stuff that's already licensed, so I'm going to echo support of Flunk Punk Rumble, which I swear I read part of at one point. I'll have to read the creator's other manga, I had no idea he'd worked on anything else.
thecritter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
I really think Angel Heart is the best of Hojo Tsukasa's series and most deserves a release. It's a spinoff of City Hunter, but it has a better story line and characterizations. Length could be a problem: it has 33 tankoubon in its Japanese release.

City Hunter as an adoptive father, and a daughter whose transplanted heart was the heart of Ryo's fiancee is interesting enough, but the daughter's escape from the life of an assassin and the heart carrying the donor's memories makes it even more interesting.
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Almost all of these have already been released by fans... a bit of searching should find them easily.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I see I'm not the only person here with a wish for Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou .
I went as far as importing the entire thing from Japan, but my study of Japanese has stalled out, so I just enjoy the imagery.

What does it take to legitimately release a translated manga? Somebody to negotiate with the rights holders, somebody to do the translation, somebody to do the image editing, somebody to work with the printers, somebody to deal with the distributers, somebody to do all the human-resource stuff involved with having employees, and a lot of money up front?
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
Almost all of these have already been released by fans... a bit of searching should find them easily.

Well, you know, some people want to actually own some of these titles.
Yumeko-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I would argue Bitter Virgin is in dire need of an official English release. However, the subject matter may be too depressing for a lot of people to handle.
Bonham

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Hideki Arai's The World is Mine and Kiichi! are very important and ambitious manga that I'd love to see licensed. Anything by Arai, really. In particular I'd want those two. They're very powerful works, are surprisingly political/socially critical, and both have complicated and extremely memorable characters (I still remember all of the named characters from The World is Mine years after reading it).

I'm a little surprised we never saw more of Daisuke Igarashi here. Did Children of the Sea not sell well for Viz? I'd love to see Witches over here...

Iwaaki's Historie is another one I'd love. I don't think it's as super unlikely as others I've mentioned, as I recall Parasyte doing all right. Not to mention Kodansha said that they might look into more seinen and josei releases given how well Princess Jellyfish has sold so far, but I dunno how much value we can take from that...

Of course there's more stuff by Moto Hagio, Taiyo Matsumoto, Inio Asano, Kyoko Okazaki, and so on...

DavidShallcross wrote:
I see I'm not the only person here with a wish for Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou .
I went as far as importing the entire thing from Japan, but my study of Japanese has stalled out, so I just enjoy the imagery.

Same. I actually bought both the original and re-release in Japanese, as well as the out of print art book. I don't expect it to ever come out here, but I'd love to be wrong.
solosorca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't like shojo/josei, but I would give my right arm to have chihayafuru in my manga collection!

I would also love diamond no ace and I'm praying that haikyuu/kuroko no basket do really well and open the field (no pun intended... Okay, maybe intended ever so slightly) to sports manga coming out in English.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Yumeko-chan wrote:
I would argue Bitter Virgin is in dire need of an official English release. However, the subject matter may be too depressing for a lot of people to handle.

+1 for Bitter Virgin. I don't think it'd be a big seller, but I think it's one of those title that deserves a release based on the artistry of its storytelling alone. Virtual high-five for whoever suggested Liar Game as well, though I have a sneaky suspicion it might not ever get released because it has some pretty blatant criticism against the Chinese government towards the end. I could see the publishers wanting to keep that sort of stuff home-grown.

I'd be down for Ouke no Monshou based on the art and setting alone; old-school shoujo and Ancient Egypt? Yes, please! Very Happy
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
When I went to Paris two years ago, I insisted on going to Book-Off, where I bought a few volumes of manga in French that I really wanted to see in English. Princess Jellyfish has just been released in print, and Space Brothers has been available legally digitally for some time now, which leaves Silver Spoon on my shelf as a reminder that I really wish I could read French...

One of my favorite unfinished series of all time, Apothecarius Argentum by Tomomi Yamashita, has never been released in French (or any other European language, as far as I know). I hope to buy the last 3 volumes in Japanese one day, but every time I see an article like this one, I get some renewed, ridiculous hope that someone might translate them.

Moyocco Anno actually has a lot of works available in English, but for some reason, Hataraki Man has remained in obscurity. I'd really like to see the anime (maybe Amazon's Noitamina deal will be retroactive, somewhat?) but I'd love to see the manga, too.

Every once in a while, I look up titles on Japan's manga bestseller lists that haven't come out in English. Ever since I read about Torikae Baya by Chiho Saito (She of Revolutionary Girl Utena fame). Erica Friedman at Okazu has been reviewing every volume since the first one and it just sounds fantastic. It's based on a Heian period novel about transgender siblings who switch places at court. It could scratch that historical, gender bender court intrigue itch that Fumi Yoshinaga's Ooku leaves me with after I finish the one volume Viz releases every year.
Desa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Scanlation came into being precisely to fill this very hole [insert country]'s publishing firms won't.

There are the authors, and there are the fans, but somehow there's always some clusterfvck going on in the middle whenever bureaucracy is involved.

As a realist I can see things improving the further we get from paper printing, but certainly not before. We've basically reached the pinnacle of b&w e-readers with the Kindle Paperwhite. All that's missing now is affordable color e-ink and a double-spread (double-width) option. Flexible displays are on the horizon so it's only a matter of time.

As for the people who just love the "smell and feel" of paper, those people can't be helped but eventually they'll die out and the new generation who grows up without knowing the horrible inefficiencies of organic parchment will replace them.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
It was said earlier in the thread, but I feel like it bears repeating...Silver Spoon. Silver Spoon, Silver Spoon, Silver Spoon. Seriously Viz. Why is this not licensed. Why are volumes of this series not on my bookshelf at this very moment. Just slap "by the creator of Fullmetal Alchemist" on the front and you're good to go. Is licensing a manga about an agriculture high school that risky? Even when it's sold amazingly in Japan? (It just breaks my heart that as a Shogakukan title, only Viz has the right to license it. And it's so good...)

There's an English-translated print release from Shogakukan Asia. Haven't read it yet, so I can't vouch for the print and translation quality.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I did not know that there were still active English language publishers outside of the United States. Thank you for letting us know. Now I got to figure out how to buy it in the US...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7