• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter × Hunter Manga Goes On Indefinite Hiatus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
I continue to wonder why they don't transfer HxH to one of Jump's monthly spin-off publications. Yes, monthly manga have more pages per chapter, but given Togashi's health problems, having to meet twelve deadlines a year would probably be a lot more manageable for him than meeting fifty.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Levance wrote:
I'm not even surprised anymore
I'm surprised you taken the time to create a new account just to make stupid post like this.
KENZICHI wrote:
I just laughed lol.
Let's see how you feel when everyone laughed at you for having a chronic back pain. Seriously, the mentality of some posters here is getting worse through some aspect, with the useless bantering against the Berserk trailer and all that in another page. Luckily, understanding group of people are still around, which make it better to continuously browse through the site. I just hope that the author can find some good rest and get himself healed again.

I'm not laughing about his back pain. I have back pain (not as bad as him, but going to PT for it) so I would never criticize anyone for it. (I'm laughing at the lost hope of HxH fans everywhere about the fact they may never see an end to this series :'D ) Jeez, you talked about other people not being understanding and you did the same thing as them: judging things you don't know about. Reply to someone who actually criticized the guy.
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I continue to wonder why they don't transfer HxH to one of Jump's monthly spin-off publications. Yes, monthly manga have more pages per chapter, but given Togashi's health problems, having to meet twelve deadlines a year would probably be a lot more manageable for him than meeting fifty.

Maybe they want HxH to stay in their most popular magazine (which is losing some of its well-known titles already) and hold on to it? Maybe Togashi doesn't want to transfer? Who knows really. And for people who think it'd increase his output, there's no guarantee that his health would allow him to keep up a consistent monthly schedule.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
um alright carry on then, people got time to catch up on other manga and if it's anything like the last hiatus it'll be two years worth of catch up time on other things
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I do not think anyone who has commented was mocking Togashi for having back pain.

What most seem to be baffled by is his stubbornness or insistence that HxH is on 'hiatus' because he may not want anyone else to produce the series. I do not understand why he would not allow other people to produce the series under his guidance.

He may have legitimate reasons to do so, but he has not made them clear.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

He may have legitimate reasons to do so, but he has not made them clear.

He actually has. Volume 1 he said that he was going to finish it no matter what. And in post Yu Yu Hakusho interviews he's that he would never want someone to touch his work, anything that goes wrong he wants it to be his responsibility alone. Its really just artist pride. I don't think its that hard to understand.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
If you need an excuse to exploit good will and the system for your own benefit, chronic pain is a pretty fantastic one. He draws just enough to fill out a tankobon, spends two years re-touching the chapters at his leisure, announces his return as Shueisha puts out the collection of his last batch, the volume sells upwards of a million copies, Togashi gets his cut of that, and repeat. Pain or no pain, HxH is worth more as an inactive ongoing series than as a concluded, dead series. Sales don't lie; fans are fine with waiting despite the tears you see online.

Other people have already said this, but it seems pretty clear they don't want to move HxH because WSJ is the Jump magazine with the most copies in circulation; more eyeballs on it when it comes back. Same reason the new Boruto is released monthly, but still in the #1 mag. On top of that, moving to Jump SQ. or Young Jump wouldn't magically reduce Togashi's workload; he'd probably be expected to put out at least 40 pages a month and include more detail than the weekly scribbles. Look at any of the other monthly Jump series, like One-Punch Man or Blue Exorcist.

The end result I can shake out of all of this is Togashi is self-serving... like any other human being.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
You know, I got curious about why his back pain would be so particularly severe. I know from having friends and family who have back pain that here in the UK that the most common medication given for this is opioid, and that Asia in general has a low view of opium based drugs. According to this page codine is illegal in Japan and Tramadol Hydrochloride is barely prescribed as it is viewed as a recreational drug. I really feel sorry for Togashi if this lack of accessible pain relief is contributing to his problemson.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
You know, I got curious about why his back pain would be so particularly severe. I know from having friends and family who have back pain that here in the UK that the most common medication given for this is opioid, and that Asia in general has a low view of opium based drugs. According to this page codine is illegal in Japan and Tramadol Hydrochloride is barely prescribed as it is viewed as a recreational drug. I really feel sorry for Togashi if this lack of accessible pain relief is contributing to his problemson.

He's apparently been told to lose weight, and he's said in the weekly comments that he was working on losing weight and training.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Honestly not surprised after his weekly comments in Jump all being about back pain.

Feel better soon Togashi, put your health first!
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
No surprise, but I actually wouldn't mind it if Togashi DID give the story to someone else. He should, you know, be able to tell them everything that needs to go into the story or art so that it fits his vision, and I bet they can choose someone that replicates the art well enough.
Desertking22

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
What I can't believe are the responses on here that tears him down to nothing.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
And everything old is new again. I wonder what Jump will do? Between this, and Bleach and Gintama ending, they pretty much have nothing left aside from One Piece (MHA is getting big, but it's not there yet).

To the people calling him lazy: You realize he doesn't have to make this at all, right? It's not like Togashi's one of those starving mangaka. Yuyu Hakusho still sells, and his wife owns Sailor Moon. At this point, he's pretty much just doing this cause he wants to. I don't know his contract, but I suspect he could just quit altogether if he felt like it.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:30 pm; edited 9 times in total
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised this happened again. I really feel bad for H x H fans following the manga and how much they get pushed and pulled around with all of the hiatuses. But at the same time, I can't blame Togashi for taking all of the hiatuses if his health is really that bad. I and several members of my family deal with back pain, from mild to severe, so he has my sympathy.
Turro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
As much as I love Hunter X Hunter ,The health of the artist is is First, hope he get well soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7