• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Fall English Dub Line-Up

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
No Brave Witches so I don't care

i'm not fond of that as well. however there is a possibility that it might come in later on in the year. one can hope can they?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Is there something wrong with Funimation subs? How does it compare to Crunchyroll? Actually I know CR subs differ between certain anime titles. Ones in yellow text I find lazy written but white ones seem better to read.

CR subs are soft-subbed, which means they aren't merged directly into the video. As far as translation goes, I haven't noticed one being superior to the other. It really depends on the specific person doing the work, rather than the company they are doing it for.

Quote:
But to be honest, I prefer fansubs over anything else. They are much closer to the original Japanese with their own spin on it. Most of the time they do a pretty good job I think. If only CR tried hard enough.

Hate to break it to you, but that is factually incorrect. Professionally done subs by CR and Funi are going to be much better quality the vast majority of the time. Plus, they have the advantage of being able to communicate with the Japanese rights holders for the most accurate interpretation of names, locations, and literally everything else. The idea that fansubs are more "pure", or whatever, is super antiquated and false.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Hate to break it to you, but that is factually incorrect. Professionally done subs by CR and Funi are going to be much better quality the vast majority of the time. Plus, they have the advantage of being able to communicate with the Japanese rights holders for the most accurate interpretation of names, locations, and literally everything else. The idea that fansubs are more "pure", or whatever, is super antiquated and false.

I'd add that during the decade or so after the average anime fan's internet connections got fast enough to make fansubs widely accessible, but before US companies began simulcasting shows right after they aired in Japan, there was a massive gap between the release of online fansubs and the release of the official translation. In many cases, fans got so used to the way that things were translated in the fansub that they viewed differences between the fansub and the official translation as the fansub being "more faithful" to the original Japanese, when in many cases, the Japanese rights holders themselves were responsible for specific translation choices. It's easy to see how this contributed to the widespread idea that the fansubs contained better translations.
DrApplebox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
91 Days was made to be watched in English. Very excited for that.

Also very happy to see Drifters getting a broadcast dub. Hope it can live up to Hellsing's dub.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

I'd add that during the decade or so after the average anime fan's internet connections got fast enough to make fansubs widely accessible, but before US companies began simulcasting shows right after they aired in Japan, there was a massive gap between the release of online fansubs and the release of the official translation. In many cases, fans got so used to the way that things were translated in the fansub that they viewed differences between the fansub and the official translation as the fansub being "more faithful" to the original Japanese, when in many cases, the Japanese rights holders themselves were responsible for specific translation choices. It's easy to see how this contributed to the widespread idea that the fansubs contained better translations.

Thank you! A lot of the times I can't tell what site or group makes the best subs. Either way, I will look forward to whoever is doing a good job helping me understand whatever these characters are saying.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:09 am Reply with quote
DrApplebox wrote:
91 Days was made to be watched in English. Very excited for that.

Also very happy to see Drifters getting a broadcast dub. Hope it can live up to Hellsing's dub.
After their Baccano dub, yes it probably is. I hope they can top the performances in that.

Ecstatic to hear they got a hold of Drifters and Nanbaka. Loads of other good shows on there too (that I have yet to watch) while others are duds. This deal might really hurt my wallet.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:12 am Reply with quote
As somebody who speaks two very strange versions of Arabic (Judeo-Yemeni and San'ani), I know all about translation. Yemeni Arabic in general is very hard to understand, even for other Arabian Peninsula Arabs. How should it be conveyed?

Same with Japanese. It's not English. It should be well-translated, but inflexions are the most important thing. If you truly believe Hidan is using the F-bomb in Naruto, more the power to you, but he's not. The F-word in Japanese is literally the F-word in English. You could use くそ, but that's far too weak.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:09 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

CR subs are soft-subbed, which means they aren't merged directly into the video.

That is true for the presentation in the Flash web player, but not for the device streams.

Also, some of the web player videos are hard subbed, due to be delivered that way by the publisher.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
^True, I meant to add in a "mostly" or something, with a qualification, but forgot. Sad

NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
The F-word in Japanese is literally the F-word in English. You could use くそ, but that's far too weak.

I think the intensity with which it is said is the most important part. くそ can vary from "darn" to "FU**" depending on the context and intensity. I have to admit, I used to watch a fansub of One Piece, years ago, because they used a lot of cuss words, and it seemed more adult. It wasn't until I started learning Japanese that I realized there was actually very little cussing in the show, and that Japanese as a language more or less does not have any cuss words.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
My heart goes out to the poor women cast to dub Keijo.

I think that statement should be reserved for those dubbing "Shinmai".
peno

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Speaking of One Piece, that's actually great example of where lots of fans are still using fansub terms despite officially subs streaming on both Crunchyroll and Funimation for years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5