• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Licenses the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:16 am Reply with quote
Wow, Bandai got Melancholy? Interesting, but still sweet. I can't wait for the DVDs to start coming out, whenever that may be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote
Bandai? man... who saw that coming? i wonder how this will do in america as it's more of an otaku staple.

Quote:
That Episode 00 was terrible it made me wanna cry

that's what makes it so great. i don't even like the show that much, and even i found this hilarious.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:36 am; edited 2 times in total
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

An user submitted that piece of information without trustworthy source and/or explanation. I've locked the submission temporarily to prevent further speculations and false information until an official English staff / cast list is available.

I had a feeling someone was going to do that. Rolling Eyes Given Patricia Ja Lee's previous anime voice acting credits, it's feasible that she may voice Haruhi in the dub, but nothing's been announced yet.

UltimaShadowfax wrote:

I hope that means he isn't Kyon's dub voice. That was terrible.

I seriously doubt that. The studio that's dubbing this will likely be a lot of effort into this dub, I'd think.
hamtaroboy2006

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
hmm I had a feeling it would be ADV Films for some reason. I first saw the series on youtube.com. It was pretty good. Though I never finished it. This gives me a chance to catch up on the series.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Stullz wrote:
And BTW the http://sos-dan.com site still points to the original Haruhi announcement page.

Ah, you missed most of the fun.. I was in their IRC channel last a night when that all went down - the A records reverted back to the original server, first with a page of gibberish then to a clone of an old version of the asos site with one important change:

Quote:
<title>The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Haruhiism - North America - Dovacism</title>

I mentioned on this on the IRC channel and seconds later the page updated to the newer version with the addition of a new comment:

Quote:
<!-- < shirobane> there are important differences though -->

And the quotes continued to change for a while e.g.:

Quote:
[02:27] shirobane: dovac is having a good laugh though
[02:29] Koushi-dono: WTF
[02:29] Koushi-dono: <!-- There are more people having Fun than you think -->
[02:29] nert: conversations with html comments have to be pretty high on my surrealism scale
[02:30] shirobane: <!-- it's fun, though, nert... -->

I then went to bed and missed all the fun on the real site and the sos-dan page is now back as it was before all this started.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
loplop

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
It's about time and Thank God it's not ADV as the rumor mill was saying . . . . I haven't looked forward to a R1 release as much since Bandai released Onegai Teacher . . . .
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
*Proceeds to delete fansubbed version from computer*

I was also surprised that Bandai was able to get involved in this. =\ Though I certainly don't mind that they did, as the Anime Legends boxsets they put out are cheap. Although, they'll probably put out a regular boxset out prior to re-releasing it on the AL label, and with the huge popularity of the series, that would make it more likely that they'll do that (i.e. milking it), but the upcoming Scrapped Princess boxset is going straight to the AL label, so who knows? I'm also happy that Geneon didn't get distribution rights, as their boxes tend to be more expensive.

I'll most likely wait for the eventual boxset release, due to my budget, as well as not having the option to purchase things online (so no taking advantage of discounts for me Crying or Very sad ). Though I might just make an exception in this case.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the video...it was pretty awesome. Actually, I think Patricia Ja Lee is a good Haruhi. She's very pretty too. But if that narrarator guy is s'posed to be Kyon, I'm not going to be a very happy camper.
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely looking forward to this.
I'm not really a fan of the series from what I saw (the 1st 8 episodes), but that was mainly due in part to the Japanese Voice Actors for Haruhi and Mikuru (main reason I stopped watching). I'm personally hoping that the English Voice Actors won't sound too similar.
EDIT: Wait so were the people that played Kyon and Haruhi on the site the actual voice actors for the English Dub (sorry, I haven't seen confirmation of this)?
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:15 pm Reply with quote
You need to correct your info, ANN; Kadokawa licensed the show, Bandai distributes. Now it's even written on the main site.
animonkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:16 pm Reply with quote
The question we need to ask is if they will release the series in chronological order, or the brodcast order.

It would SUCK if they put out the dvds with eps in chronological order. The skipping around is half the fun of the series.

If they are at all aware of the online community's opinions on the matter, however, they will release it the right way.

If I wanted to show it to a friend, and bandai was dumb and release in chronological order, I'd wait for all the dvds to come out, and then watch it in brodcast order.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
You need to correct your info, ANN; Kadokawa licensed the show, Bandai distributes. Now it's even written on the main site.

This has already been addressed in this thread.

Tempest wrote:
Kadokawa owns the rights, and Bandai will produce / distribute. All the work will be done by Bandai.

[snip]

Regardless, the news item is incorrect, I'll add an addendum immediately at noon after I can double check a detail with Bandai Entertainment.
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm in complete agreement with you, animonkey. Part of what makes it special is its "out or order" nature because it fits the tone of the show so well. This show has been a must-buy for me since I was halfway through the fansubs so I'm excited that it's licensed. I'm not a picky person when it comes to licensees because I don't watch dubs and I consider extras just icing on the cake, so my only concern is the episode order.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

This has already been mentioned in the thread. Did you read the rest of the thread before posting this?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
This is mostly good news for me, but, if I'm going to be paying those big Bandai DVD dollars, they better throw in a pencil board in each volume.

(Bandai Entertainment's releases tend to be on the expensive side of the "Anime in Canadian retail stores" bell curve, still up around $40 Canadian, and I'm not able to order online. It would have been cooler if it had been Bandai Visual/Honneamise, run by a different subsidiary, as that new label has super efficient distribution in Canadian retailers, and the prices are as low as Manga Video's prices.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11