• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Violet Evergarden Begins on Netflix in Some Territories, Not U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wondername

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow at the entitlement in this thread. At least you guys know that you will have the chance to watch this show legally relatively soon, the rest of the world usually has to pay in gold to buy some BD/DVD years after the thing has been out. It's why piracy is still a thing.

While being left out sucks and my sympathies go to every KyoAni fan hit by Netflix, decisions like these are usually motivated by money. With all the hype growing around this show even now I am pretty sure they will be swimming in subscriptions once it will become available. Binge watching culture has become a thing in the US much more than in the rest of the world.

I hope they make it available to you guys as soon as possible, until then try not to be so salty as it's really not worth your time and nerves. It's ok, I can tell you from experience that you will survive the delay.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
That moment when Netflix starts expanding to specific tastes and I would really need to start subscribing to check out the dubbed version of the anime.
christianrj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Uchay wrote:
C'mon guys, at least they are showing they can do simulcast. Maybe next releases will be on more territories, including U.S. You can be sure you'll get the anime eventually at least.

I cheer everytime Netflix Brazil actually adds an anime because a lot of stuff just isn't added here...like ReLife. God, I'll never forget the disappointment when I realized we weren't getting that. Fullmetal Alchemist got added just last week. Could be worse!

And no, it seems we aren't getting the Violet Evergreen simulcast, since I didn't find it here, even with these Brazilian Portuguese dubs on other regions toying with my heart Laughing

Available in Brazil since jan 11, 6am.

Audio: brazilian portuguese, japanese, english, italian, german
Subs: brazilian portuguese, japanese (CC), english, italian, german
joe_g7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Well that's a slap to the face.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Did they decide what languages to make available in each region with a dartboard?

CatSword wrote:
And the people who are like "Lol I live in Canada and can't get Hulu so it's time for you guys to suffer!" aren't helping/are being petty. Confused

Years of pent up frustration. It is so rarely we get anything before the US and the first time ever for a simulcast I’m pretty sure. Putting aside all the titles that have never been streamed in the UK at all, when Mahouka was added to Netflix two seasons after it simulcast in the US it was the first time we had it here and, further afield, when Funimation finally launched in the UK it made years of content available for the first time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
It's just weird that the frustration is directed towards US fans instead of companies. I mean, was it a common thing when you complained "but we want it here" that US fans would be like "haha, sucks to be you lol but I enjoy how unsatisfied you feel!!"? It might have been, I don't know. I tried not to take that point of view, but maybe other people did? Because that's the only reason I can think of for folks ragging on US fans.

I think part of the reason for this US fan response here is that none of the typical explanations apply. It's not like we're just not a priority. When a Japanese game I'm interested in never gets an English version, I might get grumpy, but I get that there just isn't enough money to justify that. But Netflix licensed the show for the US, so they clearly see it as worth it. And when Netflix saves their streaming for after the show is complete, I might get grumpy, but at least I can understand that they want to schedule their localization efforts for the binge fans who are their priority, and that might preclude a week-to-week release. But they're doing the production work to support a week-to-week release. It doesn't feel like "you're not a priority," which was the explanation streaming companies could give for not releasing in many territories, it feels genuinely like "screw you" because there's no good reason for it.

Entitlement would be saying "hey, you should prioritize us!" But that's not what's going on here, so I don't understand the "entitlement" accusation. Netflix licensed it for the region and it did a week-to-week localization. They just have a marketing message, and they're going to block simulcast consumers because of it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
There's literally an English dub ready. Why is this happening?

And the people who are like "Lol I live in Canada and can't get Hulu so it's time for you guys to suffer!" aren't helping/are being petty. Confused

The people essentially taking their ball and going home by openly admitting they're going to pirate the series out of spite aren't much better.

Snakebit1995 wrote:

It's about this being the industry standard to get shows the simulcast the day of, not three months later.

NEtflix is setting anime back by doing this, CR, Funi and yes, even Amazon, had made great strides and Netflix just won't treat consumers the same way they're competitors do. They're punishing consumers and not holding to industry standards.

And here I thought running shows that have problems with their subtitles/video quality or doing things like having a double paywall wasn't considered standard.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
It's spite directed towards a corporation, though, not to other fans.

It's also meaningless spite. I mean, I suspect they're really pirating the series because they want to see the series as it comes out, not out of spite. If it is out of spite, it's pretty lame spite. I doubt Netflix cares if the show gets pirated, they get paid by subscriptions, and pirated content is just content they don't have to serve. Unless not pirating would have lead all these folks to buy a month-long membership when the show eventually comes out to binge it, that's some pretty weak spite.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
For those that can watch the Eng. dub, have all the episodes been uploaded at once or did they only upload the 1st dubbed episode?
scowler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
It's fine. This show will be just as entertaining and just as good if I watch it in April instead of January-March.

It would be nice to know when the heck Kakegurui is coming...?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I’ll watch this when it’s available, but probably not right away. I’m always late to the party. I’m stuck back in the 2000s watching my legal anime years behind.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I suspect they're really pirating the series because they want to see the series as it comes out

This might be obvious, but it begs the question: If that's their immediate response anyway, then why is this turn of events even a point of contention? Piracy is a constant, viable option (practically speaking); it doesn't happen or stop happening just because of what Netflix does or does not do. Call me an asshole, but I'd wager that those who are boasting about piracy as their "solution" to this dilemma might well have gone with it regardless.

Let's not pretend that such folks have any stake in a debate about the capitalistic practices of an entity within a capitalist market, or that they don't have an over-grown sense of entitlement. It's not that they're pirating it because they want to watch it now; it's because they think they deserve to watch it now--a view only exacerbated by the fact that it's available elsewhere, and only undermined further by the fact that it will be available in the Spring.

Problem is, it's like you said: Netflix know this better than any of us do, and not voting with your wallet is entirely ineffectual, barring a massive drop in their subscription base--something that is not going to be caused by Violet Evergarden, of all things.

It's like sneaking in to the cinema: You have the means to pay for it, but don't because "it costs too much" or whatever. And yet, for some reason...you still need to get your fix via the silver screen right there, right then. You're not doing it because you give a shit about outrageous business practices or whether or not the creator(s) of your favourite work(s) are justly reimbursed for their efforts; you just want to feel [expletive] woke shortly before turning your brain off to stare at the pretty moving pictures.

If you're pirating it because you're not an adult yet with your own income, or are otherwise just destitute and would like to enjoy yourself for a while, you have a good excuse. Consumption of what can both expand your horizons and make you feel good or help you escape should not be prohibited by the meaningless un-value of fiat currency and its availability. I did this in my youth with music because I couldn't expect my dad to buy me every damn metal album I thought was a [expletive] experience (and there were plenty of those). When I grew up and was fortunate enough to gain the means, I then went back and built a collection and participated in the market, for both quality assurance and for the sake of the artists, for all that it was worth.

On the other hand, if you are well enough off to do the same, but don't because you think you have something to say--honestly, fudge you. You don't know shit about shit.

I'm as spiteful as the rest, to be completely honest, given that I hold a particular distaste for a fandom whose participants consistently bitch and moan and threaten to pirate and stick it to the man™ () when they so much as sense that their sacred, break-neck-paced simulcast culture is in jeopardy--precisely because that sentiment works at the expense of no one but the destitute and exhausted mangaka and their assistants, and the animators and production staff who adapt their works. I won't pretend to know the precise answer to this dilemma, but I am damned sure that this kind of pervasive entitlement is not it.

They say that Little Witch Academia didn't make nearly as much of a splash as it could have had Netflix followed a release model more in line with traditional fan expectation--but was it really that [expletive] hard to put it in your bucket list, and then to go back to it when it actually dropped? What is so different between that and waiting four years for the second season of Attack on Titan?! Seriously! What logic is being argued, here?
UkiyaSeed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
This was the breaking point for me, stimulcasting with subs in other territories (Especially Canada which is right next to the US)

I will no longer support anime on Netflix, they can now expect me to watch their series on pirate sites, dubbed or not

And not support shows like Devilman Crybaby and other potential anime shows that will break the mold on what you can watch in Japanese TV? Because if Crybaby is an indication, I can't wait to see them bring in a lot of old properties that never gets the chance to shine in this era. Plus, that's a petty way to not support the official release.
hickey92

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:14 pm Reply with quote
It's here in the UK, just watched it. I'll admit it is a bit baffling that it's not in the US, but I'm not gonna question it. The opposite happens to often that US fans should probably just accept this one and consider that all other countries have had the short end of licensing agreements more times than I can count.

SpaceTheGamer wrote:
Polish subtitles in the UK....wait whaa!??!!?
This just seems confusing to me. Why bother releasing Polish subs in another country but not in Poland?!??!?

I can't explain why they haven't released the subs in Poland, but I can explain why the UK one would have Polish subs. There is a fair amount of immigration from Poland to the UK, so having Polish as an option makes perfect sense. Netflix seem to know their markets if nothing else.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:27 pm Reply with quote
This is just irritating. To stream it in some markets outside of Japan and not others is just kind of a crappy thing to do, especially when they have the dubs ready as well. I didn't mind when they made everyone wait 3 months because at least that was consistent. I don't need to see a show immediately. What I have an objection to is the deliberate excluding of some countries.

Anyway, support contacted but the lady had no clue what I was talking about and just told me to put in the show request box. So request boxes have been spammed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8