• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Made in Abyss, My Hero Academia Win Big at Crunchyroll's Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psiho66

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I am pretty satisfied with almost all category winners with the exception of 4 that being Best Drama (while I like The Ancient Magus' Bride I feel like other series deserved it more, but I'm not sure about this tho), Best Comedy (Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid was cool and all but I think Konosuba deserved it more), Best Animation (My hero Academia had some cool sakuga moments the winner should have been either Little Witch Academia, Land of the Lustrous or Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond replacing A Silent Voice in the nominations which as a movie had no place with TV anime) and Best Girl (Uraraka had a cool moment but it was only 1 episode in the tournament arc Moriko Morioka, Chise Hatori or Atsuko “Akko” Kagari are way more deserving of this category) but over all this was a great award show and I agree with almost all of the winners, way better than last year and I hope it can continue to improve in the next years.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
SolHerald wrote:
Don't worry Little Witch Academia, you're a winner in my heart.

I didn't expect it to win anything, but I wish it had won Best Animation. LWA was a weekly delight for my Sakuga-heart. MHA was nice looking, but it was no ASV or LWA. Or even Made in Abyss. Which should've had that nomination in the first place rather than MHA.

xchampion wrote:
I'm sorry but My Hero Academia deserved to win all of the awards it won. There wasn't a category that it didn't deserve to be nominated in either. There might be choices you enjoyed more but MHA didn't rob any of the other nominees of wins.

In the most respectful way possible, I just have to ask, did you watch every other nomination in every category that MHA was in? I ask because the vast majority of the time when I've seen someone say that MHA was the most deserving of all of these awards, they haven't watched very many other shows at all, and are simply outraged that other people would dare to vote for one of those other shows that they themselves have not even seen. I don't know if that's the case for you, and if you've seen all of the other nominees, cheers! But that's what I've witnessed pretty widely. MHA fans are shonen fans, and shonen fans aren't necessarily into much else.
I hate to make this some kind of elitist thing where you have to have the proper Otaku Cred in order to vote, but you kind of should with this kind of awards system. People who have only seen a handful of shows throughout the year probably shouldn't be voting for the best shows of the year. The judges having weighted votes already makes it obvious that that is important, naturally.

Oh but MHA defintely deserved all the awards it was nominated it and I watched most of its opponents except for Dragon maid. Sakugabooru the site which celebrates animation had multiple articles on its production and many many clips from the show were uploaded there weekly. In term of pure sakuga moments the only challengers MHA had were Apocrypha, LWA and BBB&B. And even beyond action, MHA had a lot of great dynamic fun animation for its class moments with lots of personality to everyone's movements. From Mina small clumsy moments, to Froppy very detailed Frog movements, Deku little awkward moments and Iida frantic hand gestures. The anime really brought these characters to life. The show had soooo sooooo many details. Saying it doesnt deserves any of it's nomination is very very close minded and show some kind of negative bias against the show status I think.

Also saying that people should never even be considered for these kind of community events sound like the worst thing a anime event based on fans could do. Elitism is the worst part of any fandom. Keep that as far away as possible from a public event like the Anime awards.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Also, to critique the CR Awards show, they really could have done without the Orange Carpet, the lame band rendition of Tank! and the Scully/(...) commentary. I did love the joke that if Hollywood can take something anime and do it badly (GITS Movie still), then anime can take something Hollywood does and do it badly...

To GoldCrusader's point and from my last post, favoritism can't be effectively eliminated where people are concerned, the real question is who's opinions do you want to see represented in awards such as this? A group of industry insiders (AMPAS style) or the maximum number of viewers, for which this stuff is for ultimately anyway? I vote for CR's approach to having insiders suggest a limited pick and then leaving it to the public with an "other" write-in category. However, I'd eliminate the 50/50 judge/public weighing.

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
If Devilman Crybaby doesn’t at least get nominated for Best Score of 2018, imma riot. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote
sputn1k wrote:
#861208 wrote:
These are really American tastes though.
I just hope that American businesses just getting into anime will recognize how many different tastes there are in Japanese fandom... but if the people who have been in anime the longest (Crunchyroll) don't realize that, then it would be hard. (Though I get the sense FUNi is aware of it. Viz definitely isn't, though...)

Most of the shows you named as popular in Japan are male idol group shows, which at times have great animation, but suffer from awful story writing. For these shows the fact that they are advertising for merch and music is even more apparent than for other shows. It basically falls into the same category as battle-themed card game shows targeted at a younger audience. This makes these shows very unappealing outside of a very specific sub-segment of (predominantly) female fans. The same type of show exists for a male sub-segment, in the shape of the Love Live or Symphogear series, which are more popular outside of Japan than their all-male cast counterparts mentioned above though.

- Kemono Friends
- Idolish 7
- Fate

These were the only three series I named. One of those is an idol series.

As for the comment about horrible writing, that's not the case. StarMyu has some of the best character writing I've seen in anything for years, and Marginal #4 and TsukiPro have a lot of great comedy writing on an episodic basis. Idolish 7 alone does have horrible writing, which is why I'm sort of bitter about it being so much more popular than everything good. (The original Love Live is up there with StarMyu, but not Sunshine). But we're not talking about actual quality here, we're talking about a popularity contest.

My point is that I hope the Western side of the anime industry will stop acting like their tastes are the only thing that exists. And that I can't believe someone would say "the biggest night in anime" about something that doesn't involve Japan.
They didn't say the biggest night in U.S. anime fandom, they said in anime.

(That reply is actually exactly what I'm talking about. "Oh, it's not action? Here, let me explain to you why it's not valid. You were mistaken, aren't you glad I corrected you?" There are bishounen and bishoujo series that are just empty moe, but there are also really good, quality stories that happen to have bishounen and/or bishoujo casts, and many of them happen to not involve fighting (though some do, like Code Geass and Fate - which is why those are almost as popular in the West as in Japan.) I get the feeling that some Westerners think that the world needs Devilman Crybaby to "save" us from Love Live, and that's... so stupid. The beautiful thing about anime is that it can hold both and not have a conflict between them. I feel like Westerners want to make a conflict there, like some fans feel threatened by people who like shows they don't like, and they feel the need to say your tastes aren't legitimate if you disagree with them. I'm not saying that doesn't exist in Japan, just that there are enough sub-niches for every taste.)

*not insulting Devilman Crybaby - it seems pretty good and I'm glad something from Okouchi is getting some respect, especially with Resurrection coming soon <3
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
It really shows how much of a fad AOT was with how it got snubbed this year.
Well, this "fad" served as a gateway anime for plenty of people from all over the world, which is more than you could say for a majority of popular series that come and go. Not to mention the four long years between the two seasons and the twelve episodes which killed a lot of fans' interest in the franchise, despite the second season being, in my humble opinion, a vast improvement over the first one.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:

Oh but MHA defintely deserved all the awards it was nominated it and I watched most of its opponents except for Dragon maid. Sakugabooru the site which celebrates animation had multiple articles on its production and many many clips from the show were uploaded there weekly. In term of pure sakuga moments the only challengers MHA had were Apocrypha, LWA and BBB&B. And even beyond action, MHA had a lot of great dynamic fun animation for its class moments with lots of personality to everyone's movements. From Mina small clumsy moments, to Froppy very detailed Frog movements, Deku little awkward moments and Iida frantic hand gestures. The anime really brought these characters to life. The show had soooo sooooo many details. Saying it doesnt deserves any of it's nomination is very very close minded and show some kind of negative bias against the show status I think.

Yes, I know, I read every single one of them. There were many other shows, like Made in Abyss, and Little Witch Academia, and Apocrypha, and Maid Dragon that also received the same treatment. I'm certainly not denying that it was a well produced show, but it's just slightly less economic and more passionate as a production than most shonen action shows are, not the best animated show of the year. I can count a solid dozen shows that had more personality in the animation, and, while I don't think it's a terrible problem, there is an obvious bias toward thinking action=good animation, obviously rendering things like Made in Abyss and A Silent Voice and Dragon maid with an even greater handicap.
I never said that the show didn't deserve any of its nominations, it deserved a good number of them, and I genuinely do think it was one of the best shows of the year. It was well animated, well written, has fun characters, a genuinely engaging story, and all of that. But this was a very strong year, and while many categories are subjective, I would say it pretty unequivocally did not deserve Best Animation.

Quote:
Also saying that people should never even be considered for these kind of community events sound like the worst thing a anime event based on fans could do. Elitism is the worst part of any fandom. Keep that as far away as possible from a public event like the Anime awards.

What? I'm not sure I follow, but assuming you mean that you shouldn't have some sort of minimum credentials to vote, I think it depends on what you're going for. Is this supposed to be a genuine Awards show? Do they want it to have legitimacy for marketing purposes? Is it supposed to highlight the best content of the year? Then having a minimum level of credentials is completely reasonable.
If it is meant to be a community-fan event just-for-fun that confirms the already obvious most popular content of the year, sure, lets leave it as it is.
Considering that they are already weighting judge votes, and presenting it like this... I'm leaning toward them viewing this as more of an official Awards ceremony and less of a community-fan thing just for fun.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:

My point is that I hope the Western side of the anime industry will stop acting like their tastes are the only thing that exists. And that I can't believe someone would say "the biggest night in anime" about something that doesn't involve Japan.
They didn't say the biggest night in U.S. anime fandom, they said in anime.

(That reply is actually exactly what I'm talking about. "Oh, it's not action? Here, let me explain to you why it's not valid. You were mistaken, aren't you glad I corrected you?" There are bishounen and bishoujo series that are just empty moe, but there are also really good, quality stories that happen to have bishounen and/or bishoujo casts, and many of them happen to not involve fighting (though some do, like Code Geass and Fate - which is why those are almost as popular in the West as in Japan.) I get the feeling that some Westerners think that the world needs Devilman Crybaby to "save" us from Love Live, and that's... so stupid. The beautiful thing about anime is that it can hold both and not have a conflict between them. I feel like Westerners want to make a conflict there, like some fans feel threatened by people who like shows they don't like, and they feel the need to say your tastes aren't legitimate if you disagree with them. I'm not saying that doesn't exist in Japan, just that there are enough sub-niches for every taste.)

*not insulting Devilman Crybaby - it seems pretty good and I'm glad something from Okouchi is getting some respect, especially with Resurrection coming soon <3

Psst, don't tell anyone but Japanese anime Producers don't really care about what American/western audience think.
Devilman Crybaby is made because Netflix is paying the bills and only because of that.

Like i said before, Netflix using Japanese studios to make Netflix originals will be good to American/western tastes.
And we still have Crunchyroll, HIDIVE! and Funi licensing almost all Japanese animation aimed for Japanese audience.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
The results are neither surprising nor worthy of any cavilling. The broad appeal of My Hero Academia ensured it would achieve something to its name, whereas the accolades awarded to Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and Girls' Last Tour are a testament to the potential of the slice-of-life genre.

Equally heartening is the fact that this ceremony isn't restricted to titles that are streamed on Crunchyroll itself. It constitutes a sign that despite the detrimental effects of licence-level politics, a formal celebration of the industry as a whole is still possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
It’s a real shame that Showa Rakugo didn’t win anything because it is truly is deserving. But sadly as much as it was critically praised it didn’t get the viewership of some of the other nominees.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Konosuba got robbed again this year. So did Tanya. At the very least I'm very happy Girls last tour won best sol.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
Crunchyroll was pushing this as "the biggest night in anime" - which just seems so ridiculously ignorant, to say that about an American company's American awards show for Japanese media, completely cutting out the Japanese fandom.

It's called hyperbole, and it goes without saying that it's not for the Japanese fandom. If an American company emphasized that its American awards show was for American fans (and other English speakers), it would sound as silly as "These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew...in space."

I'm kind of surprised at just how many people apparently prefer an electoral college over the popular vote. Although with so many conspiracy theories flying about, I guess I shouldn't be. The times we live in, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Yes, I know, I read every single one of them. There were many other shows, like Made in Abyss, and Little Witch Academia, and Apocrypha, and Maid Dragon that also received the same treatment. I'm certainly not denying that it was a well produced show, but it's just slightly less economic and more passionate as a production than most shonen action shows are, not the best animated show of the year. I can count a solid dozen shows that had more personality in the animation, and, while I don't think it's a terrible problem, there is an obvious bias toward thinking action=good animation, obviously rendering things like Made in Abyss and A Silent Voice and Dragon maid with an even greater handicap.
I never said that the show didn't deserve any of its nominations, it deserved a good number of them, and I genuinely do think it was one of the best shows of the year. It was well animated, well written, has fun characters, a genuinely engaging story, and all of that. But this was a very strong year, and while many categories are subjective, I would say it pretty unequivocally did not deserve Best Animation.

While I agree there were a number better animated series than MHA last year, compared to last year's winner in the category, MHA seems like a reasonable choice, given how driven the awards are by popularity. I don't mind it going to MHA when fellow Bones anime Mob Psycho 100 got robbed in the category last year.

relyat08 wrote:
What? I'm not sure I follow, but assuming you mean that you shouldn't have some sort of minimum credentials to vote, I think it depends on what you're going for. Is this supposed to be a genuine Awards show? Do they want it to have legitimacy for marketing purposes? Is it supposed to highlight the best content of the year? Then having a minimum level of credentials is completely reasonable.
If it is meant to be a community-fan event just-for-fun that confirms the already obvious most popular content of the year, sure, lets leave it as it is.
Considering that they are already weighting judge votes, and presenting it like this... I'm leaning toward them viewing this as more of an official Awards ceremony and less of a community-fan thing just for fun.

I've said this elsewhere but I don't agree with imposing such minimum credentials on anyone but perhaps judges. I watch 30+ new series each season but I wouldn't say my opinion is any more indicative of what is truly the best than that of someone who only watches 5-10 new shows a year, but only the best 5-10 shows as far as they can tell. Certainly some of those watch what one might term entry level anime, but there are plenty of others who have grown tired of much of what comes out season after season, and only pick up what seem to be the cream of the crop, and I don't know that there is a minimum credential that would weed out the former and not the latter, though I think the former are just as much anime fans as any of us and thereby deserve to be represented in such decisions as any of us. To say nothing of how restricting who can vote could (further) harm the event's popular legitimacy with not unreasonable claims of elitism.
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Bullshit. Sorry, but bullshit. The Crunchyroll anime awards are bullshit.

You have Attack on Titan 2nd season and yet you dare to vote for anything else for anime of the year, best continuation, best ost, best action, best animation. You have Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and yet you dare to vote for anything else for best drama. Konosuba and Osomatsu-san, and you vote something else for best comedy. (you voted for the one with the pedo lesbian jokes are you kidding meeeeee???)

And no, I'm not kidding and I'm not being sarcastic. At all.

Boku no Hero Academia is a fine anime, I can get behind that, I will not argue with anyone about it. It's a good story, hands down. But it doesn't come even close to Attack on Titan's themes, music, animation, or outright epicness in general. Boku No Hero Academia is just the next big fighting shounen that came to replace the void Naruto left behind (because obviously Boruto will never be able to do that and it's not like it even tries). Attack on Titan is an anime that shook the industry to its core and when it came back, it came back ten times better than before. I can understand why its audience could have alienated themselves after such a huge break, (thank God we got rid of people who were just slandering it with the sole argument of "a lot of people like it so that must mean it sucks") but I expected more from "judges" who are supposed to know a couple of things better.

That said, anime of the year, Made in Abyss. Aaaah, yes. Yes. That one. I can't wait to see the people who complain about Attack on Titan being "too slow", pissing their pants from joy when hearing about Made in Abyss, a series where we only learned ONE important thing about its world during the entire cour. But hey! We got to see 12-year-old kids literally pissing themselves every other episode, getting naked, and experiencing their first boner! Anime of the year, ladies and gentlemen!!!! Because someone died and that was sad! (That being said, I still like Made in Abyss... believe it. Just not too much.)

But then again, those awards had lost all credibility since last year, when they gave almost all the awards to Yuri on Ice. A nice series, but in no way deserving getting all the awards it did.

And really... best girl Ochako? Really? Isn't she the one who was voted as the most hated Jump heroine in their last poll? (And with good reason - she doesn't have a single interesting thing going for her. And NO, a crush for the protagonist IS NOT CONSIDERED ONE!)
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Very disappointed that Attack on Titan Season 2 and Aho Girl didn't win any awards this year.
Hopefully with Season 3 that changes things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9