• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Evangelion Series, Death & Rebirth, End of Evangelion Films Next Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean a BD release will happen?!
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:49 pm Reply with quote
darkdeath174 wrote:

I never said that at all. I said they get full rights, then sell off the home(and other) rights to other companies. The only thing they don't allow is any streaming, as that is their one business model.

What I'm saying is that they do NOT get full rights. How can Netflix "sell off home(and other) rights to other companies" if they never got them in the first place? Netflix doesn't own the anime rights, they didn't produce these, the licensors own the rights and Netflix only gets the streaming license, while other publishers then skip dealing with Netflix altogether and go straight to the Japanese licensors for the home video versions.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

What I'm saying is that they do NOT get full rights. How can Netflix "sell off home(and other) rights to other companies" if they never got them in the first place? Netflix doesn't own the anime rights, they didn't produce these, the licensors own the rights and Netflix only gets the streaming license, while other publishers then skip dealing with Netflix altogether and go straight to the Japanese licensors for the home video versions.

That’s true for some shows, but for others it isnt. As others have pointed out, some of the Netflix anime series have been sublicensed from them for home video. We will never know the specifics of this deal unless Netflix announces them, so they could have home video rights, they may not. It would probably depend on whether the IP holder was willing to sell them separately, or they just used the more common practice of bundling them.

We probably won’t know for certain until a home video release is out, if and when that happens.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
darkdeath174 wrote:
I never said that at all. I said they get full rights, then sell off the home(and other) rights to other companies. The only thing they don't allow is any streaming, as that is their one business model.

No, that's not the case at all. They don't own most of the anime they stream (certainly not Eva, which already exists), and they have no reason to license home video rights (they wouldn't "own" it regardless), and they never sub-license home video rights to any of their original programs. The Blu-ray releases for Knights of Sidonia and Seven Deadly Sins don't even mention Netflix anywhere on their packaging.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:15 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I hope this is a sign that a BD release for R1 is finally coming.
Doubtful. A year ago or something I asked madman entertainment (Australia) why Evangelion tv series was currently not in print. Their answer was that as long as the rebuild movies are being made and released they are not allowed to sell the tv series. So i dont know when the 4th movie is coming but it might be another few eyars before anyone can buy a BD release...
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
[quote="dragonrider_cody"]
configspace wrote:
That’s true for some shows, but for others it isnt. As others have pointed out, some of the Netflix anime series have been sublicensed from them for home video. We will never know the specifics of this deal unless Netflix announces them, so they could have home video rights, they may not. It would probably depend on whether the IP holder was willing to sell them separately, or they just used the more common practice of bundling them.

We probably won’t know for certain until a home video release is out, if and when that happens.

We know for those small handful of shows they've actually produced, which for anime, would only be original IP non-adaptations. In general, the home video versions of true Netflix produced originals bear their logo on the actual DVD/BD box so that's how we'd know.

The production credits in Japanese would also list them and ANN Encyclopedia is comprehensive in translating and listing literally all the credits. But for the vast, vast majority of anime, they're just streaming licensees (and not rights owner or producer) for the broadcast version. Even Polygon stated so in their interview here on ANN.

Think about it, if they're the producer and actually have the home video rights, why would they always only stream the inferior broadcast version? Why wouldn't they do what Funimation and Sentai does and also post the uncut/enhanced/extended bluray version up or use those in the first place if there are no earlier TV broadcasts, if they have true exclusivity?
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
well this is a good sign..
I would prefer a BD release as well so long as its cleaned up/remastered. If not no need as the title is from 1996.

Any word on if this includes the Directors Cut remakes of episodes 21-24?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
The new English dub of Evangelion on Netflix starring Jaden Smith as Shinji!

Seriously, is this what you'd rather have? Are you not entertained?

...would be a good excuse to have Will voicing Gendou.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
darkdeath174 wrote:

No, that's not the case at all. They don't own most of the anime they stream (certainly not Eva, which already exists), and they have no reason to license home video rights (they wouldn't "own" it regardless), and they never sub-license home video rights to any of their original programs. The Blu-ray releases for Knights of Sidonia and Seven Deadly Sins don't even mention Netflix anywhere on their packaging.

Just FYI, while those releases didn’t mention Netflix, Sentai’s releases of Ajin have the Netflix logo. Every show is different. Until Netflix specifically announces it, or a home video release is solicited, we won’t know whether the have the home video rights or not.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

He's not one of those people though all he's alluded to is the idea a making a newer dub that's not as.....shaky. Kind of like DBZ with the Kai redub which improve the script but still kept people like Schemmel and Strait in roles they weren't all that great in the old dub.
I wouldn't say no to a redub of Eva but the ADV dub is an important part of Eva's history and the history of anime in North America. And things are a lot better nowadays when you can just go the Netflix audio options and easily switch languages as opposed to in the 90s when you had to spend $30 on a subbed VHS tape for like two episodes. And whether someone likes the Eva dub cast or not, they are professional actors who put a lot of hard work into their roles and crafting their talents.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:

No... No you have not been waiting on Little Witch Academia 'years later', the series only finished airing on Netflix in June 2017, it's been a whopping 17 months. It's literally not even been two years.

Gee it's almost like there's a literary device called "hyperbole" that can be used to emphasize a point. Who knew?

And as was mentioned, while the TV series came out in 2017, it's been multiple years since the original OVA and its Kickstarted sequel. I know Trigger sold them directly through their site for a bit, but that's long since been unavailable.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The Blu-ray releases for Knights of Sidonia and Seven Deadly Sins don't even mention Netflix anywhere on their packaging.

You're right about Sidonia but Seven Deadly Sins DOES have Netflix credited and not just on FUNi's releases either since the German release by Peppermint Anime also has them credited in the back and on the discs,

Also, in addition to Ajin, Viz's release of Blame also has Netflix credited.
Winger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
According to the tittle-tattle in other websites, Netflix is using VSI Los Angeles to make the redub (with production of VSI Group internationally).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5