• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Vinland Saga Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dnautics

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to understand this show but to call it "peak drama", no, obviously have not watched a lot of anime dramas. I admit I am not caught up on the latest few episodes. The show is alright, Einar and Thorfinn are decent characters, the only characters worth mentioning so far. The way they portrayed Thorfinn's trauma was very well done, yes that was good drama for that particular episode. Einar's anger towards vikings I thought was portrayed pretty well, especially after he realized Thorfinn was a viking. The rest of the "drama", direction, and characters are very MID to me. There was one or two episodes I watched where barely anything happened or was worth noting. I hope the show picks up or the "peak drama" starts soon.
DiscordMod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Dnautics wrote:
I'm still trying to understand this show but to call it "peak drama", no, obviously have not watched a lot of anime dramas.

Yeah, pretty sure a guy who's been watching anime for decades and for years now made it his job as a writer specifically on anime shows hasn't watched enough anime dramas. Checks out.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Man. This part of the arc sure is sad. Einar's love for Arnheid is charming and tragic. Thorfinn signing himself to help seemed kinda forced until whatever is that Askeladd appeared . It kinda reminds me to Kenshin's pacifism
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Snake wants revenge for the death of his men.

Arnheid wants to believe in the hopeless dream she can regain her family with Gardar back.

Einar wants to do anything he can for Arnheid because he loves her.

Sverkel wants to pass on his experience and lessons to those whom he has come to care about and help them through the difficulties of life (and be there for them like he wasn't for his own son).

Thorfinn wants to do right and make up for his mistakes but still isn't sure the proper path of doing so, but it seems like he's retaken his warrior stance to defend those he feels is worth defending.
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:58 am Reply with quote
From the review wrote:
I've been unfortunate enough to witness some comments around the internet complaining that we've gotten sixteen episodes into this second season of Vinland Saga with little "action," especially where our heroes—Thorfinn and Einar—are concerned. I hope I do not need to explain how utterly and disastrously these people have missed the point of this entire show.

This so much. I don't remember if I commented on it back then, but I do remember someone once lamenting that Torfinn wasn't "badass" anymore or some such, and I either did -- or wanted to -- say something along the lines of "you couldn't have missed the point of the show any harder if you had tried".
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:41 am Reply with quote
[quote="Northlander"]
From the review wrote:
I've been unfortunate enough to witness some comments around the internet complaining that we've gotten sixteen episodes into this second season of Vinland Saga with little "action," especially where our heroes—Thorfinn and Einar—are concerned. I hope I do not need to explain how utterly and disastrously these people have missed the point of this entire show.

This so much. I don't remember if I commented on it back then, but I do remember someone once lamenting that Torfinn wasn't "badass" anymore or some such, and I either did -- or wanted to -- say something along the lines of "you couldn't have missed the point of the show any harder if you had tried".[/quote

Yeah, the hate this arc gets is just like the hate the village arc from Vagabond gets. The series discarded the elements of violence it was known for in order to focus on proper human interactions and growth. Thorfinn was basically Eren Yaeger in the first arc and he was really hard to care considering he spent the entire anime trying to get revenge. The current Thorfinn is a man who reflected on the crimes he committed and wants to find a new way of living.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Some fans: "Can we please get more of Thorfinn fighting?"

Vinland Saga S2 Ep 17: "Best I can do is 5 minutes and then 20 minutes of cutting your heart to ribbons with a dull butterknife"
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying Season 2 immensely but I am sympathetic to any viewer who laments the change in tone from Season 1. Yes, that change in tone may be the entire point of the material, but if you bought into the action I don't think there is anything sinister about feeling a bit wtf about where things have gone. Like I say, I like it, but sneering at somebody who doesn't is kind of unfair.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I've been enjoying Season 2 immensely but I am sympathetic to any viewer who laments the change in tone from Season 1. Yes, that change in tone may be the entire point of the material, but if you bought into the action I don't think there is anything sinister about feeling a bit wtf about where things have gone. Like I say, I like it, but sneering at somebody who doesn't is kind of unfair.

Yea personally I'd have far preferred the story changing focus to Canute's rise to power, his conquest, and the politics around it (and thus not on Thorfinn). I get the author needed to find some way to go from the made up past for Thorfinn Karlsefni to have him actually have a reason to do his journey to keep focusing on Thorfinn though I could have done without the whole pacifism thing the author added though that was likely done since the real Thorfinn was not at all a warrior so he needed to basically 'nerf' the version he made.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Atsushi Kobayashi proving once more why he's the single best individual involved in the series. Every episode he boards is complete gold. Waiting excitedly for the day he manages to direct a full series.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 9:59 am Reply with quote
Apparently, that scene of Gardar "finding his son alone" was added for the anime so MAPPA keep outdoing themselves.

The preview seems focused on Ketil so we might have little before the eventual arrival of Canute
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 11:28 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Apparently, that scene of Gardar "finding his son alone" was added for the anime so MAPPA keep outdoing themselves.

I was visiting Japan last month and when I met up with a friend and mentioned to him I was watching Vinland Saga, he was more than excited to recommend the original manga to me, which he's been a big fan of since the beginning of its publication. I asked him if the anime adaptation has made any huge changes and he said that they've cut or added a few things but nothing major, and that all the changes have either made things clearer or elevated the series further.

Yup, sounds like MAPPA is doing alright.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to say that I look forward to reading these reviews every week, and this week is no different. Appreciate you sharing your story as a part of it. Been absolutely loving this season, and your added thoughts on the episodes are a nice little cherry on top.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:44 pm Reply with quote
That was a very powerful episode, for all the reasons James noted in his excellent review.

And yet, I still kind of feel a little bit cheated, as I was looking forward to Leif and Thorfinn finally reuniting and see how that would go down. But that all apparently happened off camera, upstaged by the more urgent drama unfolding elsewhere.

I suppose they might yet give us a flashback or something. I mean, I honestly don't even have any suggestions as to how they could have given us both scenes in the runtime provided and made it work without crowding either event. And they're about to be invaded as well, so it's not like there will be a lull to drop a flashback into. I dunno. I don't know what they should/could have done differently, but I still feel disappointed (unless they manage to slip their reunion in somehow next week). Ah well. Smile
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And yet, I still kind of feel a little bit cheated, as I was looking forward to Leif and Thorfinn finally reuniting and see how that would go down. But that all apparently happened off camera, upstaged by the more urgent drama unfolding elsewhere

I actually had to go back and re-read the source chapter, and sure enough, that's exactly how the original scene was cut.

Thanks for the powerful review, James.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9