• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Prince of Tennis DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimyo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
This isn't high art or classical literature, it's anime. It's created for our viewing pleasure, not to change the world. What's wrong with a show that is simply enjoyable to watch?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Kimyo wrote:
What's wrong with a show that is simply enjoyable to watch?

I think the review basically states that the show isn't enjoyable, due to the fact that everything about it is either subpar, or mediocre. Henceforth it can be slammed.
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
Alucard from Hellsing=Worthless 13 episode character with the depth of a bowl of cereal.

Ryoma=Cool.

P.S.- It's not just Ryoma, you're going to see alot of the egotistical characters(with the traditional smirks and the "I'm better than you" grins) for a long time....

And on Hellsing your gonna see the classic "end of teh worldz" 13 to 26 episode plot and low budget animation on the final 2 episodes.

I didn't want to come accross saying that PoT sucks; I even said that I'm currently watching up to 82 episodes of PoT. Hellsing has an original plotline compared to the formulaic approach of PoT (ie. Train to get better, face new and more powerful enemies, then repeat the first two steps again).

As for Ryoma's character: yes, I happen not to like his personality, and I even said that maybe i'm being too hard on him. I just don't like that fact that he's egotistical and arrogant when playing against others. (Am I suppose to praise him for being a jerk and condone his behaviour?)

Finally, if you don't like the review, fine. I can see that the review has unnecessarily insulted PoT, but I think people are getting worked up because their favourite show is actually receiving critisism. Like it or not, PoT is not a literary masterpiece nor does it define perfection. There are lots of flaws, especially in the first 13 episodes, and the reviewer gave evidence and explanation. So give the reviewer and review some recognition.
kuni_kuni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
ichiro3923 wrote:
Like it or not, PoT is not a literary masterpiece nor does it define perfection. There are lots of flaws, especially in the first 13 episodes, and the reviewer gave evidence and explanation. So give the reviewer and review some recognition.

I said it before and I'll say it again: I've seen worse shows receive better reviews than this. Nobody is expecting the series to receive a perfect score (especially not the first 13 episodes), but it's pretty clear to me that the purpose of this review was to bash the show. I don't see why I (or anyone else, for that matter), should give the review recognition, if that's the case.

Haha, that probably sounded bitter, but meh. Independence Day was exhausting.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
kuni_kuni wrote:

I said it before and I'll say it again: I've seen worse shows receive better reviews than this.

It's been said before, and I'll say it again: Reviews are mostly subjective and that these other shows with better scores were 'better' is also subjective on your part. The reviewer really didn't like Prince of Tennis and they said that in the review and said why. That's a negative review and there is nothing wrong with that.
kuni_kuni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
It's been said before, and I'll say it again: Reviews are mostly subjective.

Yes, they are, mostly. But within the anime community, there are indeed some titles that are universally acknowledged as terrible, such as Tekken and Ninja Resurrection. When shows like those receive better scores than anything, I can't help but laugh.
sarajr888

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:06 am Reply with quote
I know that the reviewer most likely didn't like Prince of tennis and he gave reasons why, but there were also some good pionts to this show and all I saw was a whole lot of insults. I looked up a review of Prince of Tennis on the web and they had a great review for this show. I know that everyone has their own opinions, so then don't talk like everybody agrees that this show sucks!
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quote
Can there be some sort of rule from now on to not allow pointless bitching about how someone's favorite title isn't given a favorable review/slammed? I'm not talking about disagreeing with a review and actually debating points made in a review, which many including myself have done before, but just the "waaa review isn't objective enough give it more episodes waaa" that we get from this type of crowd. If there are some intelligent responses that try to argue over the merits of the show, fine, but we don't have that here.

Anyway, I haven't seen the anime adaption of The Prince of Tennis, but the review more or less reflects my opinion of the manga. Even though I'm a fan of and play many sports -- tennis being one of them -- I can accept that anime/manga won't play it up "realistically" more often than naught. But TPoT grounds itself in a realistic setting but with unrealistic execution, not to mention that it doesn't even try to break the mold of the characters ala Eyeshield 21 and just creates a bunch of clichés that never really grow out of the generic stereotypes. It's just another shounen series that I don't particularly care for.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Can there be some sort of rule from now on to not allow pointless bitching about how someone's favorite title isn't given a favorable review/slammed? I'm not talking about disagreeing with a review and actually debating points made in a review, which many including myself have done before, but just the "waaa review isn't objective enough give it more episodes waaa" that we get from this type of crowd. If there are some intelligent responses that try to argue over the merits of the show, fine, but we don't have that here.

I'm saddened to see you say that, as I respect your opinions and your posts, and sincerely hope you don't think everyone who has been contributing to this thread is simply a whingy crybaby without a modicum of intelligence. I do in fact think the review was both fair and accurate, for the episodes given, I would just like to encourage people who might enjoy a little over-the-top silliness to skip the early ones entirely and start around episode 20 or so, with Fudomine, or even a bit later with the Hyoutei arc. I don't like the manga for the same reasons you mentioned, but the anime doesn't take itself nearly as seriously (certainly not later on) and has some of the best filler episodes that anyone could ask for.

Of course there are better shounen series. But if you want to unwind with random melodrama and an absolutely enormous cast of freaks and weirdos to entertain you, TeniPuri is a good choice to just switch off your brain and have fun. Smile
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
I'm saddened to see you say that, as I respect your opinions and your posts, and sincerely hope you don't think everyone who has been contributing to this thread is simply a whingy crybaby without a modicum of intelligence.

I was more or less targeting those that cry afoul at having one of their favorite shows get slammed while describing in every which way why the reviewer is a dumb poo-poo head who should watch more of a series before judging it (which, Jeezus, folks, you really think that thirteen episodes of tripe would be worth it). Those that do concede that the episodes reviewed I most certainly do not think are being immature fools, but it's the aforementioned type. Now, if they proceeded to explain their stance after saying that the reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about, instead of just putting on their own generic spin on the typical dismissals ("Oh, it gets better," "Why don't you be more objective," "I've seen worse-regarded shows get better ratings than this," etc.).

And as for over-the-topness, I can and will stand that for shorter spurts in anime, but an entire, lengthy-shounen series dedicated to it would be far too taxing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Man I hate it when people say they don't like something I like. God it just makes me so upset. Anyone who says they don't like something I like is biased paid off condescending flaming attempting to be edgy wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5