• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Freedom Riders

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:44 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Key wrote:
More disappointed with the MoHS rating, but that is one of those series you either "get" big-time or you don't.

OK, I don't mean to open a flame door here, but I have to insist that Haruhi fans stop throwing around the word "get." What about those of us that "got" it, but just didn't find it particularly remarkable? One of my biggest pet peeves is when fandom revolving around a certain series invalidates any and all negative criticism, however well-grounded it may be, by saying people just don't "get" it (Eva fans in particular are notorious for this). I can understand "connect with," and maybe that's what you meant, but realize that "get" is a loaded word with elitist connotations. (For the record, yes, I'm a "meh" Haruhi person, but I'm also an avid Eva fan and I would never divide fans and non-fans into blanket categories of "they got it" or "they didn't get it.")

Sorry for venting at you, Key.

Yeah, it gets annoying when people use the "you don't get it" excuse to respond to criticism. Like I said in my previous post, I actually really like the show as a fun romp and I do "get" what everyone sees in the show; I just think the elements and ideas of the show that people go on and on about have little depth behind them and are only really obsessed over because of the glamorous execution and the show's recycling of conventions (recycling, rather than reinvention, is the right word here). And like gatsu I've found that Haruhi fans are usually pretty expressive. Certainly nowhere near as obnoxious as some Eva fanboys, especially the ones who try to make it seem like the series' Christian symbolism had a point when even the staff admit they only put in in to make it stand out from other mecha shows.

Quote:
I remember one dude who thought FY was the epitome of craptastic anime. But, hey, we can't all write something intellectually-stimulating like Mahoromatic. Rolling Eyes

Fushigi Yugi? Or am I missing something here? But at least Gainax seems to be improving on their "Let's make another parody with lots of in-references" formula (Tengen Toppa is a genuinely great show from what I've seen).
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:50 am Reply with quote
I didn't think to much about Haruhi from the first DVD as well. I recently watched the second volume and found it much better. Those cheesy ASOS shorts are really addicting and I find the extras on these DVDs amazing in general. I love when Chris Patton is asked which girl he likes, as well as his is he an ESPer, time traveler or alien interview.

I thought I was going to hate Karin when my copy came in the mail (why do I buy series that I don't think I will like?) but found myself actually enjoying it. Having just finished Moon Phase and getting near the end of Shana, Karin seems to cover some well traveled ground. Despite this there is something about this coming of age series that I find cute.

I love the soundtrack for Freedom. I wish the audio was 5.1 uncompressed LPCM instead of two channel PCM or 5.1DD, since HD-DVD can support the full 5.1. Why didn't BVUSA have this encoded? I love the pull up storyboards on this DVD. This series seems rather expensive at $240 MSRP for 3 hours. I'm actually going to import all of the other Bandai Visual high definition DVDs from Japan, since they are the same price, have the same sub/dubs, and will be released earlier.

I just watched the first couple of Beck and really found them amazing. I'm planning on watching the rest of the DVD tonight. I'm usually not into Shonen series (I'm not very fond of Kenshin, Bleach, or Prince of Tennis) and haven't found one this enjoyable since Maison Ikkoku. I love the music in this series. I found it interesting that the OP alternate angle (which I usually keep in Japanese) is in English. Did this series have English credits when rebroadcast in Japan? I did find the video quality on this on the slightly blotchy side like many Funimation releases. There are often times where there will be a color which I can't identify, since it seems to be a weird mess of blue greens and grays instead of a solid color.

Peach Girl is one of the only (I think it is the only) Funimation titles being released right now that I'm not collecting. From what I hear from this review it sound s better than the lackluster Suzuka. I think I'll pick this one up. I feel incomplete when I miss a disc that Bamboo has reviewed.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:25 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

Peach Girl is one of the only (I think it is the only) Funimation titles being released right now that I'm not collecting. From what I hear from this review it sound s better than the lackluster Suzuka. I think I'll pick this one up. I feel incomplete when I miss a disc that Bamboo has reviewed.

Good to know I'm not solo on liking Peach Girl haha. I'd give Suzuka a chance, the start is pretty bad but it become a pretty good show after the first DVD and the final few episodes are well done. The manga is better in my opinion though.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:11 am Reply with quote
A lot of people who are expecting that anything HD is going to blow them out of their eye sockets are going to be sadly disappointed, especially if a title is just an up converted SD to HD product. Even a production that is HD from it’s very first frame isn’t going to be saved from the sess pit if it was destined to be there in the first place by bad writing and production values. International Business Machines, (aka IBM) soon discovered in their early days of digital technology the phenomenon of what they called G.I.G.O. (garbage in, garbage out.) and the same is true with this digital technology as well. HD is basically just more lines of resolution on a TV screen, which means shyte in HD is still shyte but with more detail showing why. Wink
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:30 am Reply with quote
Iconoclast wrote:
kolibri wrote:
It took me few episodes to start to tolerate Haruhi molesting Mikuru...

That was one of the things that made it difficult for me to become interested in the series. Anyone else find Haruhi's constant harassment of Mikuru, (till she was in tears) more disturbing than funny? Maybe, I'm just being sensitive and it really is just an anime and good fun but I guess it just bugged me and made it hard to watch among other things in the show.

Yes, I have to agree that was very unsettling, and it soured my opinion on the show quickly.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:

While I understand how people can interpret "get" as offensive when you told that you're not "getting" it....

Haruhi is not complicated. If you don't "get" it, it's most likely because the genre or the humour or the storytelling or the characters don't appeal to you. It took me few episodes to start to tolerate Haruhi molesting Mikuru... But even though it's clever, it's not rocket science - you don't need to make two movies and dozens of books to explain the ending.

Now EVA is different - I think probably most people who don't like it don't actually "get" it on a deeper emotional level.

Not getting something on a deeper emotional level is the same to me as not getting the humor. I see no difference in the use of the term. To me Haruhi is first and foremost funny so those who don't think's it's funny aren't into that type of humor (And it's definately twisted humor. I can COMPLETELY understand why someone wouldn't think the show is great even though I do). But my main point is we are all a little too sensitive when "GET" becomes an elitist term.
Ingrod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote
ANBUx3 wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:
kolibri wrote:
It took me few episodes to start to tolerate Haruhi molesting Mikuru...

That was one of the things that made it difficult for me to become interested in the series. Anyone else find Haruhi's constant harassment of Mikuru, (till she was in tears) more disturbing than funny? Maybe, I'm just being sensitive and it really is just an anime and good fun but I guess it just bugged me and made it hard to watch among other things in the show.

Yes, I have to agree that was very unsettling, and it soured my opinion on the show quickly.

For me that was intentional, the Kyon reactions calling that harassment and defent Mikuru reflect the viewers feelings, increasing the simpathy for the Mikuru character. And these scenes make the viewer shoked about the Haruhi personality and actions. But late in the show the Haruhi/Mikuru gags turned some repetitive.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:13 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Key wrote:
More disappointed with the MoHS rating, but that is one of those series you either "get" big-time or you don't.

OK, I don't mean to open a flame door here, but I have to insist that Haruhi fans stop throwing around the word "get." What about those of us that "got" it, but just didn't find it particularly remarkable? One of my biggest pet peeves is when fandom revolving around a certain series invalidates any and all negative criticism, however well-grounded it may be, by saying people just don't "get" it (Eva fans in particular are notorious for this). I can understand "connect with," and maybe that's what you meant, but realize that "get" is a loaded word with elitist connotations. (For the record, yes, I'm a "meh" Haruhi person, but I'm also an avid Eva fan and I would never divide fans and non-fans into blanket categories of "they got it" or "they didn't get it.")

Sorry for venting at you, Key.

Wow, I stopped paying attention to this thread for a couple of days, and see all the commotion I missed.

Cloe has already spoken to me off list about this, so we're cool AFAIC. For others that got involved, I do want to clarify that a) I probably could have chosen my words here better, and b) a lot of people aren't "getting" what I really meant. (Sorry, could resist that one. Razz )

I certainly wasn't intending to imply anything elitist since I also use that term against myself; I don't "get" yaoi or hentai focused on tentacle rape at all, for instance. What I was referring to was the passion that the title engenders in those for whom it works.

Many titles have their own class of rabid fanboys/girls, but the titles that can achieve MoHS's level of (for lack of a better term) cult of personality are rare. Out of the scores of new anime titles that come out in Japan every year, only maybe one or two achieve this level of popularity and notoriety, and only once every few years does a title make such a big impact on fandom. In the current decade, how many other titles could honestly be said to have made waves to the degree that MoHS has? Fullmetal Alchemist, possibly Naruto? (And I'm only including that one because few other titles have ever had such a notoriously rabid fan base.)

The people who don't "get" MoHS are the ones who, while they may be entertained by the title, do not see what makes it so extraordinary, so worthy of the attention and devotion it's gained. Nothing wrong with that; everyone has different tastes, and individual titles are never intended to click with everyone. (I actually have some more specific theories about why some people are unimpressed with this particular title, but that would require more expounding than I'm willing to do at this time.)

Though related, NGE is a different issue that I don't intend to get into in this time and place, either.

As for Karin, my opinion of the dub has gone up a bit for the second volume. Still don't like the guy who voices Kenta Usui, but I was surprised to find myself actually liking the English performance of Winner by the end of his second episode, something I had not thought possible given the very stylized original performance. It's not a great series, but definitely one that has its own kind of charm. (More comments on that to follow in my eventual review of vol 2.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Haruhi, though I'd grade it about a 6.5 out of 10. For me Haruhi was all about the broadcast order. If it had been shown in chronological order as it appears on the DVDs here (unless you want to spring for the expensive ones, which I don't), then I would have dropped it after the first episode. But I was pulled in by Ep 0, then the mixed up story intrigued me, then the sf side to it made it more interesting. I think the new order is the worst way to watch it. Of course, there are a lot of people who feel otherwise.

But there were disturbing things in there, particularly the molestation of the one girl, that really bothered me. It's not for everyone and I wouldn't watch it again because of those scenes.

EVA, now I understood that quite well, intellectually. I've read a lot of sf and I've seen the themes done many times, some better, some worse. However, mecha and all its trappings just bore me. I know some people love it but I wouldn't have made it all the way through if my nephew hadn't wanted to watch it. It's not for me and that's simply a matter of tastes.

Beck, I loved, and bought the first DVD but haven't received it. I saw the fansubs for this one and knew I had to have it. The last episode or so really annoys me, and I'm hoping against hope they change what they did. But up to that point, the music is just fantastic. I own all the soundtracks and related CDs. It's so nice to hear Jrock that's actually rock and not some watered down 80s pop. I actually loved the original singing voices but I can't wait to hear the dub as well. I'm totally happy to hear that it sounds great in English too!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
I enjoyed Haruhi, though I'd grade it about a 6.5 out of 10. For me Haruhi was all about the broadcast order. If it had been shown in chronological order as it appears on the DVDs here (unless you want to spring for the expensive ones, which I don't), then I would have dropped it after the first episode. But I was pulled in by Ep 0, then the mixed up story intrigued me, then the sf side to it made it more interesting. I think the new order is the worst way to watch it. Of course, there are a lot of people who feel otherwise.

But the first episode is the same either way. Actually, the first three episodes are the same either way, so it makes no sense that you would drop it after one episode in chronological order but not in the broadcast order.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:08 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

But the first episode is the same either way. Actually, the first three episodes are the same either way, so it makes no sense that you would drop it after one episode in chronological order but not in the broadcast order.[/quote]

No, This was the broadcast order:

11, 1, 2, 7, 3, 9, 8, 10, 14, 4, 13, 12, 5, 6
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I know. No try listing the "chronological" order. Hint: "1" isn't first. Wink

Give up? spoiler[Episode 11 (a.k.a. Episode 0), The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina is still first.]
Ingrod

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
But there were disturbing things in there, particularly the molestation of the one girl, that really bothered me. It's not for everyone and I wouldn't watch it again because of those scenes.

Many famous animes have girls in provocative costumes, in fanservice poses or nude without a reason, at least this anime call the thing by his name: harassment, and some character reaction to these situations in a logic manner. I like SHnY for that.
Iconoclast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Ingrod wrote:
sunflower wrote:

Many famous animes have girls in provocative costumes, in fanservice poses or nude without a reason, at least this anime call the thing by his name: harassment, and some character reaction to these situations in a logic manner. I like SHnY for that.

I think just because the show depicts it as harassment, doesn't mean it isn't utilizing it to pander to its fans. :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ingrod

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Iconoclast wrote:
Ingrod wrote:
sunflower wrote:

I think just because the show depicts it as harassment, doesn't mean it isn't utilizing it to pander to its fans. :/

That is true, if you read carefully my post I not deny that, but in this show that is much less blatant and gratuitous than in others. imo

After all a egocentric uncouncious demigod can use the poor mortals how her dolls if she wants. Laughing

What do the girls with her dolls? Comb their hair, changue theis dresses, same thar Haruhi with Mikuru. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6