• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Winter 2012 Anime Season: Postmortem

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
How in the world could Kimi to Boku be scary or hard to watch?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I think I watched about 20 titles from this Winter Season's lineup if the ones that counted from last Fall's season are also counted for those that continued from its lineup:

Series I considered very good and consider re-watching
Another
Loved it. Probably the highlight of this Winter Season for me and one of the best series I've seen this year so far. Ending was a bit rushed but very enjoyable

Guilty Crown
Loved it despite the ending. The animation, OST, and characters were great and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Future Diary/Mirai Nikki
Started watching this since Christmas last year and loved it. The intense psychological theme and characters as well as the theme of the game survival convinced me to give this a 10/10.

Persona 4: The Animation
Great series that I found surprisingly interesting for me. I loved this series for its theme and appealing characters and storyline. I might consider playing the game soon.

Nisemonogatari
At first, I really didn't take this series seriously. However, I find this series to be very unique with its usage of Shaft's usage of word play and style. And oh of course, who could ever forget that infamous episode involving the toothbrush between Arargi-kun and Karen Bee.

Series that I thought were decent and worth mentioning
Shakugan no Shana III
Pretty good although lacking a bit flavor compared to the first season imo. The storyline was a bit predictable although I did like the developing characters as well as the action involved.

Zero no Tsukamia F*
After watching 3 seasons of this trilogy, this final installation seems to be rushed just a bit too fast especially with the first arc. Still, I liked the improved soundtrack as well as the conveying action. There are some fillers in that are not worthy mentioning unfortunately.

High School DxD
The ecchiest anime of the season (if that's even a word). I enjoyed this series despite the massive amount of fan service the creators throw into your eyes. There is an actual story plot and the final episode was executed quite well.

Amagami SS+ Plus
Tbh, I liked this series although not in my top 5 this season. It is a bit too predictable but at the same time enjoyable with its humor, romance, misunderstandings, and among other things.

Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing
Enjoyed this series although I liked the original Last Exile better. Not much else to say on this.

Senki Zessho Symphogear
A rare little gem of this season that some people might not have watched. I loved this series when I first watched due to its superior soundtrack and battle scenes. It reminded me of Macross Frontier.

Black Rock Shooter
I'll be honest here. I expected a bit more from this series although I still enjoyed it somewhat. The pain and suffering the girls gone through the series conveys to the realism that we humans suffer in real life. Ofc, who doesn't like hot girls fighting?

Rinne no Lagrange
As a mecha fan, I definitely appreciate this series. There is action, mecha, comedy, and most important of them all: friendship. There are a few "fillers" here and there but I liked the overall theme of the first half of this series.

Brave 10
It's a bit rushed but overall, I like to point this out that this series is not too shabby at all. The action and soundtrack are noteworthy as well as its ability to give the realism of the historical world feeling.

Chihayfuru
Although I'm not a fan of karuta, I enjoyed the artwork, characters, storyline, and humor of this series. Hoping for a season 2.

Listen to me Girls, I am Your Father!
Interesting series that I enjoyed although there were 1 or 2 episodes that felt like filler. I'm keen to checking out the light novel soon and hoping for a 2nd season.

Series that I did not really enjoy/didn't grab much of my attention:
Inu x Boku SS
The first episode blew my mind away but the ones that continued were a bit of a disappointment for me. With a lack of a decent storyline, I considered dropping this and should have although the final episodes were alright.

The Knight in the Area
Pace is moving way too slow. Should of dropped. Still continuing atm as I still have a glimmer of hope.

Bodacious Space Pirates
Didn't really like it. Put on-hold by the 2nd episode. Heard some bad things about it from a review I've read awhile ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Just taking a summary look at Funico's 2-cour shows that came to an end: Mirai Nikki, Shakugan no Shana, Guilty Crown, Last Exile... It's like they cornered the market on trainwrecks. Maybe Last Exile was doing the thing where you surround yourself with ugly girls to make yourself look better.
Volibear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
hmm, i finished a fair few series this season, much to my own suprise, since i didn't think i'd actually watch many after the first week. overall it was still a below par season, but then again its usually 1 great season followed but a poor season so it wasn't unexpected

Amagami SS+ - in the end it was ok, not as good as the first season though. with the exception of Rihoko's arc, they all kinda felt like bit-arcs, like arcs of a full season about each heroine and they picked 1 and put it into SS+

Ano Natsu de Matteru - great series, not particulary original but very well executed and with a polished appearance. the sci-fi element didn't really fit in the end, felt out of place, which kinda spoiled it a little bit, but not a whole lot

Another - totally suprised by how good this series was, a must watch

Bodacious Space Pirates - not as gripping as it was made out to be by others but still a good series, solid story and interesting enough characters

Black Rock Shooter - enjoyable, if not totally memorable

Brave 10 - good as a standard action series, not really anything special but enjoyable none the less

High School DxD - i was goning to drop this, but i planned to finish everything else i started, so out of a sort of obligation i decided to finish it, and it did improve somewhat from the start, although i doubt i'd recommend it to anyone

Inu x Boku SS - ok, it was underwhelming, it kind of hovered in a place between shounen and shoujo and never really did anything for 12 episodes, although it wasn't necessarily bad, it just wasn't all that good in the end either

Listen to Me Girls, I'm Your Father! - heartwarming with a touch of creepiness, alot better than i expected, when initially looking at the spotlight for this i fuly expected it to go down the route of pure creepiness but thankfully it wasn't anything like that, ocassionally a spot of creepiness crept in but for the most part it stuck with being a heartfelt tale about an uncle trying to make a good life for his 3 neices despite all the obstacles and the end result wasn't half bad

Rinne no Lagrange - was good, although i think the second half in July will determine just whether this is actually a good series or not

Carry-overs:

Bakuman S2 - just as good as season 1, can't wait for season 3 in the fall

Chihayafuru - probably the most solid title over the past 2 seasons, never really had a lull or weak point, although it never had a true high point like say Fate/Zero either, but given the type of series it was i think it was pretty much flawless regardless (not having a high point wasn't an issue)

Guilty Crown - an unoriginal beginning wasn't a bad thing since it was still very well executed and up till ep 12 it was actually a pretty good series, but then it took a real bad nosedive, like nosediving a jet into the ground at full speed bad, thats the only was i can describe the sheer awfulness that was the second half of this series, if i could purge my memories of it i would

Mirai Nikki - now, Guilty Crown ended as a complete wreck, and Mirai Nikki has been one for the entire series, but unlike GC, Mirai Nikki is completely suited to be that kind of series, everything about it is completely whacked out and ridiculous and i don't see any problems with that, it just enhances itself by being like that, if the series was more sensible and more thorough then it wouldn't be as good
4750G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
How in the world could Kimi to Boku be scary or hard to watch?

It's not scary, but it is hard to watch. I know some people liked it, but that ain't me. I didn't even get past the first episode. Boring. Given that, I didn't want to watch another anime of a similar plot as Kimi to Boku since it was not a pleasant experience for me.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
Some quick thoughts of titles I seen from this season:

-Another- The mystery element was intricate and did enough to keep you guessing over the nature of the events taking place in the school. However the final episodes getting over the top a bit with their deaths and a few plot holes did hurt its quality a bit for me.
-Ano Natsu de Matteru- Felt too much like a cookie-cutter rom-com for me mixed with its sci-fi elements seeming somewhat inspired from Onegai Teacher.
-Mouretsu Pirates- Fun and engaging watch thus far with a likeable cast and engaging story. While not the deepest title I've watched, it certainly delivers something a little different.
-Nisemonogatari- Does retain much of the unique charm of Bakemonogatari, though the Karen Bee arc felt too dragged out with the series relying on its sexual humor for filler.
-Daily Lives of High School Boys- Finally, a high school slice-of-life comedy I enjoyed thanks to its focus on guys this time around instead of moeblob gals and their idiosyncrasies. Likely my favorite title of this season. Laughing
-Natsume Yuujincho Shi- Retains the same elements I enjoyed from the prior three seasons of the franchise with a good amount of focus this time around on character growth with Natsume's character.

Stuff from Fall Season:
-Persona 4: The Animation- While I may be tempted to play the video game source material of this series at some point, I felt this anime take seemed to be trying too hard at adapting aspects of the game into the series at the cost of the quality of its plot and characters.
-Bakuman 2- I enjoyed this season of the series a little more than the first season as Ashirogi experience pitfalls in their run as mangaka and there are some major developments with the other characters, though the whole "we won't be together until we're famous" plot element with Mashiro and Azuki still irks me in its absurdity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
4750G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
Winter anime review:

Chihayafuru: loved it. The ending is kinda bland for me though, but the anime overall is outstanding. I didn't have high hopes for this anime at first because I had no idea what karuta is, but the anime managed to engage its viewers with a sport few people are familiar with. I liked this anime's art work as well, very vivid. It's quite a waste for me, really, for the anime to have ended that way. There was a lot more I would have wanted to see, since it kinda felt like Chihaya kept losing after episode 15.

Guilty Crown: awful. The episodes after episode 12 are more awful than the first 12 episodes which are already awful. Had to drop it after episode 15. Shu as a main character fails on so many levels. First he's a useless wimp who can't even stand for himself then he becomes a delusional egoist with a God complex that nobody can stand. Oh my God, just oh my God. Big fat mess is what it is. And the overly played plot of killing of the human race - for goodness' sake, stop it.

Mirai Nikki: I liked it at first, despite Yuki being as useless as Shu is. But the plot became weirder and weirder, I don't think it'll even hold for the remaining two episodes. I haven't watched the latest episode yet, but from the looks of it I can pretty much guess what's gonna happen. The gore is good, if you like that in an anime; I've never seen so much blood gush out from a knife wound. It's okay. Better than Guilty Crown, at least.

Persona 4: I like the animation of the different personas of the characters. I pretty much guessed already that spoiler[Adachi is the killer. Ain't that always the case? The seemingly gentle sidekick is in fact a delusional serial killer.] I've never seen an ending as wordy as this one. But the content of the endless speeches were okay so no complaints here. The plot is good. And Nanako is cute.

Since I've done a previous post about winter anime, I only included carry overs from the fall season here.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
Meh.

Another - I'm trying to like this one, but I keep falling asleep. And it's not the kind of anime I like to fall asleep while watching.

Knight - This one is mostly about the football fan in me. As much as I dislike to watch football on TV nowadays.

Tried Kyousogiga and I didn't have any interest in understanding what was going on. The series do seem to try and be weird or different, and it was way too apparent.

Milky Holmes 2 - Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

Randoseru - Found the concept very stupid but still watched a couple of episodes.

Amagami SS+ - As much as I liked the first season, I just had to give up after a few seconds. I'd probably watch it for the comedy, but then again, it's not that much anyway.

High School DxD - I tried, after all, bare boobs. But this is exhausting, I've seen better hentai with better story. Dropped after checking scenes on the first episode.

Nisemonogatari - This one is definitely good and I'll come back some time. Just not in the mood these days.

Something Pirates - I'm tired of that kind of protagonist. Oh lord. Dropped after the first episode.

Brave 10 - I don't regret watching this at all! But then again, I only watched 10 seconds.

Daily Lives of you know the rest - First episode was okay. But I guess I forgot it existed after 1 week.

Ino x Boku - Well, I just watched that other thing with the loli a couple of seasons ago, so I didn't see the necessity of watching this beyond half of episode 1.

Black Rock Shooter - I'm currently in bad terms with yuri anime so I have yet to watch episode 2.

listen yo dawg, I be yo daddy cool - Episode 1: Le Facepalm.

There's some stuff I need to come back for (some not on list).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
A question about the usefulness of these threads. Are they useful or redundant?

When I started these I thought it'd be a neat idea that could catch on, but the "in progress" talk is almost non-existent and the postmortem reviews are sometimes minimal too (I was the only one to make a final postmortem in Fall 2011). this is mostly because of the understandable issue of there being an overlap between these and the regular "What are you watching right now?" thread. My problem with that thread is that it's freaking huge and I can never find anything.

Instead, what if I created a quarterly/season index of the "What are you watching" thread and asked a mod to add it to the first page?
All in-season talk would go there, (like most of it usually does anyways) and we could still make postmortem posts, but they'd just go into the thread. I don't know why it never occurred to me before that that would be just about as an effective solution to organizing the season talk there.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't post in these threads, but I find them very useful. I find it really nice to be able to read a short blurb on what shows everyone watched. I can quickly determine whether to watch or skip, and as you said Spastic Minnow, it's nice to have it all organized by season so finding things is easy.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I find the anticipation part of the thread to be worthwhile, though once the season starts, I typically just go to the thread for particular shows.

The "what are you watching" thread includes a lot of people who talk about watching older things. Discussions about ongoing shows occasionally go there, but typically end up in show-specific threads. I'm not sure a quarterly index is going to work or be that helpful.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, yes, individual shows go in their own threads (which is why I make an index), but numerous times every season in the WAYW? thread someone will come in and list all the shows they are currently watching, current and old, with some good observations. And it isn't as if every single show actually needs or deserves a series thread, but maybe you want to mention what you saw on Kimi to Boku, there isn't a thread for it, you don't want to make one- so it goes in one of these threads or more likely, the WAYW? thread.

Whether or not I want to continue making these "master threads" I think I will send the mods an index of the big thread. Even if there isn't a ton of season talk It's just a way to separate the massive thread into three month chunks and may help members to find some conversations they know they had at some point like "a year or so ago- I think it was in the summer."

...I work in a library, I like to catalog things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5