• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2007-11-07

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Aki Ameko wrote:
I tell ya, some day when I finally get to start doing comissions at cons, I'm telling them straight out that I DON'T do anything beyond kissing for a guy and girl, and nothing beyond hugging for yaoi/yuri pairrings. I'm sure I won't get as much business, but I can deal.

You should make a sign for your booth that says "WARNING: I'M KIND OF A PRUDE, JUST SAYIN'".
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
minakichan wrote:

My head hurts so bad. I kind of want to say, "shame on ANN for posting such inappropriate material!"

Well, good thing you didn't say that then!

Some of you folks need to settle down a little bit, it's just a webcomic. Yeesh.

yeah, settle down. Its not like it was about Kodomo no Jikan or fansubs.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:59 pm Reply with quote
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:

yeah, settle down. Its not like it was about Kodomo no Jikan or fansubs.

Ceru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I can absolutely see this happening. As someone who's sold art at a few cons now, it's never really a convention without that one disturbing request. Or the fat sweaty guy breathing on your art as he uses your table for support from falling over. I've never had a request quite this extreme but I'm one of the many who was asked for a commission of a pair of characters "covered in glue"....

Great comic though. I'm saving this one to show to my other AA friends.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quote
This comic was disturbing and awesome....I'm so talking about this tonight.

Ceru wrote:
"covered in glue"....

Heh...so that's what they call it nowadays.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I can definitely agree that this is quite a disturbing comic strip this week, but the last three panels (especially the last panel) also definitely made it another lol comic strip for me. I think this is one that people from all walks of life can relate to, not just anime fans, because I think everyone encounters something like this from time to time, something that makes one want to curl up into the fetal position and withdraw from reality for a little while. And that's what makes this week's Anime News Nina pretty darn funny to me.

And if the last panel wasn't funny enough, Zac's little emoticon in response to what ZeroRyoko1974 wrote is it's own funny little punch line for regular readers of the Answerman column and ANN.
I didn't expect another funny image where humor and sympathy/empathy walk hand in hand.

I missed Nina, though! Anime catgrin
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow... If anything, that makes me want to hang out at Artists' Alleys at cons just to find out what craziness gets requested from the artists... Laughing

This comic is really a graphic illustration of "how to break an artist's brain"... And my heart goes out to any artist who's ever gotten requests like this. Anime smile
protomanblues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
oh man, gold. best one so far.
Descent123

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Kind-of funny, but disgusted at the same time.

Still a good comic to read once a week.
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Thewalkindude368 wrote:
Bravo! You somehow managed to create something that is both emotionally scaring and amusing at the same time. Masturbation and breakfast cereal should never mix.

But they're both part of a balanced nutritional lifestyle Laughing!

Seriously, though, can someone please yell "PSYCHO ESCAPED FROM THE NUTWARD!!!!"? If I could draw, not even all the cash in the world could make me create a picture like that!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I hope that the "requestee" doesn't breed anytime soon!

I think we can all agree that theres pretty much zero chance of that happening.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:16 am Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:24 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:

But they're both part of a balanced nutritional lifestyle Laughing!

Seriously, though, can someone please yell "PSYCHO ESCAPED FROM THE NUTWARD!!!!"? If I could draw, not even all the cash in the world could make me create a picture like that!

What..... Shocked.....I did?....then why am I still being given these weird pills? Sorry, couldn't resist. I know, that was only funny to me probably.

The real reason behind this post, besides non funny jokes, is any of you guys who are freaked out about going to cons over something like this shouldn't be. I mean seriously, for every one nut like this guy (or girl in plenty of instances) the majority of the rest are normal. Or fairly normal at least. But certainly not that creepy. Now I'm sure there are a few like him at every single con in America. But the chances of you, the normal con-goer, running into them (let alone having to deal with them) is minuscule at best. Even most artists won't run into the people like him. So don't let a few bad examples of fans stop you from going to a con. They can really be a blast.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:21 am Reply with quote
I'm usually not into that kind of humor, but the specifics of his commission were too funny. Great mental image. Anime dazed

This was the first one of these that actually made me laugh. The only one I've liked at all, really. It was great, and hopefully it will just continue to improve!
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote
That last panel was priceless. Wink Sometimes it's nice to take a break and "develop" the side characters. In this case, it worked perfectly with the girl from Artist Alley. To be honest, I would love to see someone really request something like this... I think I'd love the artist's reaction even more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7