• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-03-14]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
mike.motaku wrote:
The OPs are pretty spot on, but I think my absolute fave has to be the Tom Waits-esque opener from NieA_7: "Koko Made Oide" by Sion.

If you are referring to the song that I think you are referring to, then I will soon go curl up in the foetus position under the nearest table. Just the mere mention of that grating song is more painful than fingernails on a blackboard. I can count the number of Anime openings that I have only watched exactly once* (not including movies) on a single hand (not that I need to use my fingers to count, but one gets the idea). In fact, there are precisely three openings** that I am unable to even tolerate. And the opening you just mentioned is one of them. It is that awful. To my delicate ears, anyway.

*I will never be accused of not giving Anime openings at least one chance to prove themselves.

**The three are "Koko Made Oide" from NieA_7, "Sound of Bounce" from Hoop Days, and I am sure I'll remember the third one when shivering with pain under my desk.
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
One big problem with the whole fansub debate is that the conflict doesn't really come from fansubs at all, people are used to watching stuff for free(on TV), and maybe buying the stuff they really like on DVD. The problem with anime of course is that there's really no way for most people to get it in a similar manner to TV, so fansubs basically becomes like TV (a cheap and disposable way to watch a show) for instance I watched Rome and Desperate Housewives on TV, all I have to pay is my TV license and bam, I can watch all these shows.

Now Fansubs(or downloading shows generally) ultimately beats TV on convenience, the cost is basically the same (replace TV license cost with broadband cost) but you can watch it whenever you like, and if you factor in availability (anime(except for yu-gi-oh) is not shown on TV in Ireland, at least not before midnight) basically fansubs are an attractive proposition.

Now if you could produce website that put out these shows fast, with advertising and/or a subscription and no hidden strings (DRM I'm looking at you) it would be equally viable, on the consumer end, 1 it would be cheap, 2 it would be convenient (it's harder than it looks to get some older shows by fansub), 3 you can pat yourself on the back for being legit

On the industry side, they actually make a little money off casual viewers

Some say you have to have DRM, but VCR recording has been around for an age, people said the same thing when it came out, but people still buy dvds, you'd stop most people keeping the output by simply putting in ads.

I think it's completely foolish to ask viewers to pay $100+ to watch Love Hina, without any knowledge of it's quality (I might pay 10, and even then only after seeing 2 episodes) when you can buy american series for a fraction of the price (and even then...).

I think both radical ends are being foolish, the "old guard" for presuming that we can even afford to pay $100 a series (not to mention be willing to buy a DVD of everything they watch) and the new bunch for presuming they can get everything for free.

In my opinion the greatest change in anime fandom is that it's become more mainstream, and with that most anime fans are like normal people, IE hesitant to spend money, and viewing anime(quite rightly) as a normal TV show, with all the expectations that go with those views. If less people are buying anime it's probably because they want to see it on TV (or similar venue online), or maybe it's because less people have money to spend on what is, essentially a luxury good

/rant actually I question the validity of average fans like myself writing these, I doubt anyone of consequence reads them Sad

Also I find Evangelion's op to be addictive, I also like all the music from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

EDIT: I think Kadokawa in the "links of day" is on the right track, it's this kind of thinking that will "save" the anime industry
the_ferret

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote
I don't know about best OP (my favorite might be GaoGaiGar), but certainly this must be the greatest rendition of an anime OP.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Quote:
whether or not Kirk or Picard was the better Enterprise captain (It was Kirk, by the way)

No wonder we've argued oh so many times. Razz Twisted Evil

The hell with you both....Sisko for the win!!!!! Laughing

And I think Zac your point has been proven in this thread alone. It is rather sad honestly. Though I must say for the most part conventions seem to be a haven for fans who simply want to enjoy anime period. At least that's my opinion anyway. I've had very few bad experiences at conventions with fans fighting amongst themselves. I'm sure it's there but the majority of fans there seem to not care about such things and are happy to just have fun. If only most of them kept to that once they got 5 feet outside the doors to the convention center. Oh well. Confused
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote
DonQuigleone wrote:
One big problem with the whole fansub debate is that the conflict doesn't really come from fansubs at all, people are used to watching stuff for free(on TV), and maybe buying the stuff they really like on DVD. The problem with anime of course is that there's really no way for most people to get it in a similar manner to TV, so fansubs basically becomes like TV (a cheap and disposable way to watch a show) for instance I watched Rome and Desperate Housewives on TV, all I have to pay is my TV license and bam, I can watch all these shows.

Now Fansubs(or downloading shows generally) ultimately beats TV on convenience, the cost is basically the same (replace TV license cost with broadband cost) but you can watch it whenever you like, and if you factor in availability (anime(except for yu-gi-oh) is not shown on TV in Ireland, at least not before midnight) basically fansubs are an attractive proposition.

I think you hit the proverbial "nail" on the head. I know that it is hard to find broadcasters that are willing to add anime to their schedule. Granted this number is growing, but the anime selected are usually more "popular" and newer shows (i.e. your CN). I've never seen Lain on cable TV. True Noein has been broadcasted, but it almost feels like a rarity. I'm sure a hardcore fan will be able to counter this, but this is what I've experienced.

I'll admit that I've used fansubbers to check out a series before I buy (if I buy). Sure it's only a few episodes, but it is still technically stealing. I know it, but why spend $20 or more on anime I won't care for? I suppose that's why I can see both sides. As LordPrometheus said, and I agree, there is a large middle group. But with anything, there is always a large middle group that is unheard while the loud-mouth extremists get their voices heard. Sucks that it happens, but what are you going to do?

That said, Zac I love the animal pics. They're too cute!
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
There's two kinds of people in this world: those who believe that there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't. Laughing

I think that the people who took umbrage at Zac's 'division' of people into two extremely vocal groups missed a very important point: HE was not assigning you into a group, but someone else (multiple someone elses) almost certainly will. That someone else is generally going to be a member of one of those two vocal groups.

No matter what your opinion is on a divisive issue, no matter how extreme you are either way (or not), or how reasonable you think you are, or how moderate you are someone near or far in relation to one extreme or the other (maybe both) is going to categorize you as a them in the eternal struggle of us vs. them.

And the more neutral you try to be in offering your opinion, the more likely it becomes that you will piss off both sides, not neither.

Zac acknowledged lots of diversity and made it clear that he was making a generalization, and even said "please spare me your "Uh excuse me I do this and I'm different!!" letters", but the results speak for themselves.

This is the nature of the beast. Someone on the Internet is wrong, I must correct them now! It's not like I don't do it too. I do it a lot. I'm even doing it now.

It does get tiresome though.
Starre257

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Well, throw me a bone here, but I'll have to say one of the best OP themes I can add is from .hack//SIGN.

Anyone remember Obsession? *__* yeeeaaaah.

Yes. Definitely. I was just watching that series, actually.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
stuckinfresno wrote:
Quote:
As LordPrometheus said, and I agree, there is a large middle group. But with anything, there is always a large middle group that is unheard while the loud-mouth extremists get their voices heard.

While I think starting yet another 'Here's my general thoughts on fansubs' conversation really is off-topic to what the article was getting at (which is in general, not at the quoted poster), let me quickly make a point specifically on the 'large middle ground' argument thats making the rounds.

If there really was a large 'middle ground' (some fansub, steady/decent amount of purchasing), then there simply wouldn't be anywhere near the problems (or severity of) facing the anime industry today. That's a 'value-neutral' point, just looking at the numbers. DVD sellers aren't looking to realistically move 50,000+ products, they are looking to return sales levels back to where an average-quality/hyped program could move (in estimation) closer to 7,000 units then the nexus 3,000 of today. An average fansub title can have anywhere from tens of thousands to even hundreds of thousands of downloads/viewers, by common sense if a 'large middle ground' existed between the two poles there would be a lot more actual sales.

I won't doubt the people here indicating they do a mix of fansub/buying, I do too, but just on a sheer numbers basis that model can't represent a dominant 'middle ground'. Maybe a majority of fans believe (as opposed to following through on the 'steady purchase' part) in that model, but there just wouldn't be anywhere near the severity of sales/profit issues facing the industry if it was true.

To jump back more on topic, for great OP-Shinkon Gattai Godannar!! Lousy show, Great theme. Classic cheesy/good Japanese 'Heroic Fight' track.

Last edited by Goodpenguin on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Astraea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
You have some of my favourites on the opening theme selection (not Pokemon, though it gets into my head also Wink). Lain is great, and of the SAC ones I happen to prefer Rise.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Quote:
The hell with you both....Sisko for the win!!!!!

Quoted for truth. He fought off a Dominion invasion and a demonic-powered Gul Dukat! On the same day!

Plus, I stand by my theory that if DS9 abandoned its serial style and went episodic like TOS and TNG, then RDM would never have attempted BSG.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
stuckinfresno wrote:

I've never seen Lain on cable TV.

Considering you live in Cali, you should have been able to watch it because it did air on cable TV. That's how I heard of it.

It aired late nights around 12:30am on TechTv (now G4TV), they called the program "Anime Unleashed." That's how I heard of Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashii, Gatekeepers 21, the SoulTaker, Dual, Gungrave, Boogiepop Phantom, etc...

I couldn't stay up that late, so I'd tape it and what it the following day.

So yeah. It has aired on TV already, back in 2002. I'm a little sad that it was canceled.

EDIT - It seems that they're also streaming anime on their site though. Right now, they're airing RahXephon.
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Stupid Writers Strike.....greedy bastards.

I have to assume you're playing that for humor. Otherwise, sir, we might have to take up fisticuffs.

Laughing
braves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:

and the ever famous;
Death Note #2

That's my favorite one as well.Cool And I can't believe somebody complained about the animal pics!Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calculusman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I generally think it can be broken down into 3 groups instead of 2:

1) One group which essentially lines up with your 2nd pro-fansub group. The people who actually complain when Viz licenses Death Note because the good groups stop subbing the series, and who basically don't care if the R1 industry collapses because they don't buy DVDs anyway.

2) Those who think fansubs are an abomination to mankind and think that anyone who downloads an episode of ef - a tale of memories should be sued for thousands of dollars or otherwise punished or shamed.

3) The "happy middle" group (which I consider myself to be in) which is actually closer to the first group described - the group who will download fansubs (heck, I think I'm currently watching about 8 series fansubbed) but who also buys series as well (In about 2 1/2 years I think I have about 25 series (either complete or in progress), numerous movies, and several shows on my to-get list when I get the freed-up $$$ (with the MoonPhase box set coming my way next week to make it 26 series or whatever).

This middle group thinks that downloading fansubs is generally ok, just as long as you support the industry as well. I get annoyed at both the "It's my right to watch anime for free!" and "fansubs will end civilization!" groups. And at least personally, I'm anti-fansubbing licensed shows, preferring to Netflix those if I can.
gamersglory

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

So please, do not lump fans into two groups. THAT is what is divisive. Instantly classifying people into one of two groups is mere stereotyping, divisive and harmful.

I said vocal groups. Vocal. Key word. Vocal. People who argue so vehemently on both sides. Those two sides dominate the culture right now. There are a zillion shades of gray, naturally.

There is two main groups bet there are smaller factions within those groups
I Conseder Myself part of the old school fans. You have to sapport the indastry or it will cease to be. There will need to be major changes and I think the R1 and old school fans will lead the way
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11