• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Reportedly Suspends 4 DVD Titles Indefinitely

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormcrow22

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Hm... how about instead of trying to get 23 new titles, they finish up the ones they have. Like, I don't know, perhaps the last volume of Kanon.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At the ADV Sneak Peak panel at Anime Expo on Thursday afternoon, A.D. Visions co-founder Matt Greenfield acknowledged that his company had separated from its former business partner, Sojitz. He indicated that, as a result, the status of recent titles are now "fate undetermined." However, he did say that the company is negotiating for 23 more titles.

Oh joy. I will be certain to pre-order those right away. They can sit on back-order and keep everything else I have ordered that ADV has failed to deliver upon from getting lonely. Rolling Eyes Suffice it to say that if Kanon #6 ever does come out it will be the last single volume release that I ever purchase from ADV, because I no longer have an iota of trust in their ability to finish what they start and deliver what they promise. Call me when the complete box set comes out - until then I'll be hanging on to my cash. And if by chance Kanon #6 is not released, then Kanon #5 will be the last thing I ever purchase from ADV. Assuming, of course, that they are actually still in business a few weeks from now.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote
It sucks because obviously they have finished the production of the last volume, the only thing I can imagine they haven't done is actual production of the DVDs, and they probably have even done that.

They need to work out whatever issues they have at least on their shows that are on the last volume.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
(quote) ".....A.D. Visions co-founder Matt Greenfield acknowledged that his company had separated from its former business partner, Sojitz. He indicated that, as a result, the status of recent titles are now "fate undetermined."....."(unquote)

From that you can determine that ADV does not have the rights to those forementioned series, but rather that Sojitz did. If Sojitz pulled the plug on ADV for those series' then ADV really has nothing further to do with them, if they really have separated from Sojitz as they have said. "Fate Undetermined" really means they have no clue or say in what will happen to those series as they have no rights to them anymore.

If it is true that Sojitz felt those series were unprofitable and yanked them, then they probably will not shop around to other American companies or distributors.

It is a shame that Sojitz did not respect ADV customers enough to allow ADV to finish up those series' that were close to their completion. With only one DVD released for Shattered Angels, I could have probably forgiven them for dropping it, but I feel for those that purchased several volumes of those other titles, who most likely will not see an ending to them.

I don't wish ADV dead, I have many of their titles, and they distribute anime that I like, but after this year you cannot ignore the sickness. Something is very wrong with ADV, and whether they will survive only time will tell.

ADV has many hurdles to overcome.

It is really irrelevant to the customer whose fault this was, ADV or Sojitz, as the anime customer does not deal with Sojitz, but rather with ADV. So ADV will be blamed for this debacle, whether it is right or wrong.

Are ADV past customers going to trust ADV, when they trot out their new shows? Whatever the case, they are going to lose some business to this failure of trust.

ADV's handling of their consumer base, with regards to all the problems they have been having this year has been bad. They have left their customers in the dark and treated them like mushrooms. While it is true that negotiations have to be kept quiet, it doesn't mean that ADV has to be silent.

It probably would have been better if ADV cut their relations with Sojitz a long time ago, but that is water under the bridge now.

I wish ADV well and hope they will survive, but the writing is on the wall. We shouldn't stick our heads in the sands and ignore all the warning signs.

If ADV recovers I will probably take the risk and buy from them again. After all, what 'real' choice do we have, not much.
trandraskell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
ADV officially sucks. I'm keeping my Kanon preorder open but I'm beginning to care very little if ADV dies off. Once what I'm buying from them is done I'm strongly considering writing off anything else they license because of their huge inconsistency and decision to leave everyone in the dark.

I just do not get anyone anymore. As anime fans why are we so divided this I cannot understand. i am upset as much as the next person but damn as fans we should be pulling together. But no everyone is flaming ADV. Okay does anyone understand economics 101. There are ups and downs and yes we are in a down because so many people over extend themselves . I guess I am the only one out there that is happy that we have any anime period. Some of you are so spoiled you get so pissed off that you say I am never buying this company products anymore and yet I bet most of you have the fansub of anything that adv has. i think that ADV and most anime companies do a great job of translating and creating the dvds. I think that there are a few in the total dvds that I have i may have been upset at the quality of the series or the dvd. I think everyone just need to chill and see how it all pans out. If you love your hobby you will go to any length to support the hobby.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
What really sucks is that they most likely have the friggin discs for Kanon just sitting in boxes somewhere waiting to be shipped! Arrrrrrghhh.... Mad

I will have a very tough time trusting ADV at all from now on. I don't really mind buying singles, but this makes me rethink that stance very carefully, regardless of the company.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
It's not basic anything. If they have the titles produced and are negotiating for other titles releasing them should be possible. To be inconsistent continuously with no communication is poor customer service and irresponsible management. Any company regardless of industry deserves scorn if it can't meet essential expectations and instead providing what people aren't even asking for (we are negotiating on 23 titles while we let these that we almost finished fall flat)

As far as to talking about how much fansubs I have, I bet that I buy as much anime as you do, as a percentage of my income I bet I buy more than you do. So unless you want to call my bluff on that and present numbers (I've got no qualms providing my budget/income to anyone who cares to know) I think you need to back off those kinds of assumptions.

On another note about fansubs, I started buying Kanon because I watched the fansubs for Clannad and liked the show. I also bought AIr, and a few other shows I would not have bought from them. I sure am hoping that ADV has nothing to do with licensing Clannad. I'd prefer to see it released years later than to have it be touched by ADV as long as they are doing this.

Last edited by Xanas on Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Xtyfe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
i have high hopes that things will work out in the end, there gunna tell us that everything is under control and there working it out

but i still feel pretty damn depressed, i really hope these series get released. it doesnt matter who does it

man i dont even feel like watching any anime right now after all this i feel so bad
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
trandraskell wrote:
I just do not get anyone anymore. As anime fans why are we so divided this I cannot understand. i am upset as much as the next person but damn as fans we should be pulling together. But no everyone is flaming ADV. Okay does anyone understand economics 101. There are ups and downs and yes we are in a down because so many people over extend themselves . I guess I am the only one out there that is happy that we have any anime period. Some of you are so spoiled you get so pissed off that you say I am never buying this company products anymore and yet I bet most of you have the fansub of anything that adv has. i think that ADV and most anime companies do a great job of translating and creating the dvds. I think that there are a few in the total dvds that I have i may have been upset at the quality of the series or the dvd. I think everyone just need to chill and see how it all pans out. If you love your hobby you will go to any length to support the hobby.

They do have a right to be angry and vent. If you collected 4 volumes of a 5 volume series, and that concluding volume is yanked out, it is going to hurt. Unlike Geneon, ADV doesn't own those titles anymore.
Zhemos88

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
How can you tell people not to be pissed off?

It's like going to the movies and having the movie cut off right in the middle and being asked to leave without a refund. This is pretty much what ADV is doing. They need to get their crap together or they'll lose whatever fanbase they have left. I know for sure I'm not buying anymore singles from them.

Last edited by Zhemos88 on Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
trandraskell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
It's not basic anything. If they have the titles produced and are negotiating for other titles releasing them should be possible. To be inconsistent continuously with no communication is poor customer service and irresponsible management. Any company regardless of industry deserves scorn if it can't meet essential expectations and instead providing what people aren't even asking for (we are negotiating on 23 titles while we let these that we almost finished fall flat)
[As far as to talking about how much fansubs I have, I bet that I buy as much anime as you do, as a percentage of my income I bet I buy more than you do. So unless you want to call my bluff on that and present numbers (I've got no qualms providing my budget/income to anyone who cares to know) I think you need to back off those kinds of assumptions.

I was try to make a general statement i did not mean just you. I have alot of fansubs too i was not trying talking about you sorry if it came out that way . I am sure alot of our money we earn goes to anime products of any kind and I am sure same with you. I am just say that we do have a right to be upset but until we get the whole picture we can not be running around and flaming a company. One thing to way sales are down is I know is the economy. The us dollar is not worth what it use to be so japan is not getting the money they have been promise. And there are alot of people unlike my and me all they do is download and no pay a cent and then rant about how adv is going under. I think intead of bashing a company until we know the whole picture support them with the Titles that they do have that you might like and maybe we can show that we are together.

They may not even have the titles anymore they may have been pulled we don't know because ADV may not be allow to give any info out at all and that is not their fault it maybe sojitz that say if you give any info out until we say so that is a breach of contract and then ADV is in more trouble so let no throw any blame to anyone yet.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't know anything about Sojitz, I'll admit that. But if they are negotiating for 23 more titles I'd prefer that they spent the money on the titles they already have and used it negotiating with Sojitz instead. Maybe impossible? I don't know, but they could at least say they can't do it. It'd kind of be obvious who to blame if they said they can't negotiate for some reason.

In this case it just looks like they are walking merrily away from what they started, and I don't know how they can think that is good business. Now I am to continue buying from them when they have failed to continue what I was buying before? Why should we trust them? What confidence should we have when they do this?

I understand what you are saying, but even if it's not their fault alone they really should do a better job of explaining the situation. There are probably ways they can do that that aren't strictly a violation of agreements. And if I'm wrong, then I think they basically chose to do business with the wrong people (Sojitz). And how do I know they won't do the same in the future?

If they fix this soon I'll happily eat my own words and not care, just like I did with volume 3.

Last edited by Xanas on Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
And here I was hoping they were gonna license CLANNAD...oh well, at least Funi gave me a glimmer of hope.

It's still disappointing that Sojitz is pulling the plug. Even without investing money, if ADV is almost done with some of these DVDs, they should let them go ahead and ship out what they have.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
And here I was hoping they were gonna license CLANNAD...oh well, at least Funi gave me a glimmer of hope.

It's still disappointing that Sojitz is pulling the plug. Even without investing money, if ADV is almost done with some of these DVDs, they should let them go ahead and ship out what they have.

My guess is this is some deal where Sojitz has some "ownership" of it and Sojitz is telling them they can't. I don't want to make it seem like I think Sojitz isn't a punk here, because I think that much is pretty obvious. The problem, ultimately, is dealing with the punks at a time when they were licensing Kanon and that was when the industry was already having trouble. Honestly I'd prefer non-release or more waiting to cancellation or indefinite suspension of a series right at the release date of the last volume.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I'll chime in here again, cause while i'm not all about the doom and gloom of the industry but i will say something as a collector, and a person who buys all of their Anime.

This is the last nail in the coffin for me. Like many others out there, i've got half filled art boxes and non-complete stories to go with those boxes. I'm done with single DVD release, I will not buy another, unless the season/series in its entirety is available.

I had completely stopped buying Anime until it was fully released, with only two exceptions, and one of them was because the distributor was under contract to put em out if they were limited edition versions. (Death Note if you want specifics)

The other of course is Kanon(2006). Once again a title has been yanked, and frankly this one i think is the worst given how late into the project they were, and it likely was finished out side of shipping them to distributors.

Either release the series/season together, or don't bother. Stop wasting everyones time including your own. If i'm gonna continue to put out money for a product, from now on it will be a finished one. I know i am far from the only buyer out there that has had enough.

Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on me.

US distributors can take that for what its worth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10