• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aldnoah.Zero (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And this is based on a huge, unsupported assumption by you and the people arguing this viewpoint: that Inaho would naturally assume that Slaine had betrayed the Vers just because he was fighting against another Vers. We've pointed out time and again that the Earth forces pilots were openly speculating earlier in the episode about whether or not there was infighting amongst the Vers. Hell, the Lieutenant even mentioned at least once (if not more than once) in earlier episodes that because of the nature of the Vers Empire, they might not be above conflicting with one another to get the prize of wiping out the most Earth forces.

I think this is hardly unsupported. Mere infighting amongst Vers for the honor of killing humanity does not = spoiler[one Vers siding with humans (and actually coordinating with them tactically) against another Vers. That's not logical. If it was a mere dispute of who gets to kill them off, then both Vers would simply be lobbing heavy ordinance at the humans to see who could kill them quicker. Also, if one side of the Vers was so intent upon killing off rocket punch girl, why in the heck would they send a single jet with only 20 howitzer rounds to fight her heavily armored super mech. That would be crazy. They would have sent an equally powerful mech, otherwise they'd just be setting themself up for a humiliating defeat at the hand of rocket punch girl.] Aren't these Vers supposed to be all about pride and everything? No, this explanation just doesn't work.

Quote:
And there's also the possibility - which people seem utterly unwilling to accept - that Inaho JUST FREAKIN' MADE A MISTAKE and the writing always intended it to look that way. (Tactical wonder or no, he's still both a teenager and a human and thus eminently fallible.) I had the impression that he was more or less admitting that to the princess in episode 8.

I can agree with this to a certain degree. Yes, we can say that perhaps Inaho made a bad mistake. However, that's not what the other side has been arguing this whole time. They've been arguing that his actions were completely logical, expected, and correct. If they had instead been arguing that he made a bonehead error, then 75% of the debate we've been having for several pages would have never happened, and the only question would be whether such a mistake on his part was well represented or consistent with his character.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Assuming Ver infighting only make capturing Slaine an even more important step, knowing which faction is fighting which in the Ver empire would be incredibly useful information, rivaling if not exceeding knowing that the princess was alive. If we assume that this is what Inaho believed, shooting Slaine down was just a far more stupid decision.

I suppose you can say that Inaho made a stupid decision, but I still call that a Deus ex moment, since Inaho never made a stupid decision before, even under heavy fire and far more stressful situation, but here he is, calmly discussing and under no immediate threat, yet he make a HUGE blunder, talk about out of character.

Also it doesn't really explain why they didn't just fish out the jet, it crashed right next to the island and we know the mechs work in water. They shouldn't have had any problem with getting him out since they still had 4 functioning mechs at this point and they had to wait and load the civilian on the ship anyway.

It's just so transparent that the writer just wanted to create artificial drama and completely pull me out of the experience.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
have already explained this about a million times.

As to your first point, as we've noted several times, SLAINE SHOT FIRST. End of any discussion of him coming along peacefully please.

As for your point three, he couldn't be recovered using the tools they had available, so the only other option would be summary execution. He chose not to do this, perhaps not the most logical choice, but it did display mercy.

Quote:
Hell, the Lieutenant even mentioned at least once (if not more than once) in earlier episodes that because of the nature of the Vers Empire, they might not be above conflicting with one another to get the prize of wiping out the most Earth forces.

Including the ones that launched an orbital bombardment on their home city, presumably killing their own men in the process. They reasonably establish that when it comes to Vers, "the enemy of my enemy may be a useful tool, but is not my friend."

Quote:
Also it doesn't really explain why they didn't just fish out the jet, it crashed right next to the island and we know the mechs work in water. They shouldn't have had any problem with getting him out since they still had 4 functioning mechs at this point and they had to wait and load the civilian on the ship anyway.

We have no basis for the lift capabilities of their mechs. From the looks of it, they are barely able to float themselves, much less a plane twice their mass. They could probably have gotten it out of the water eventually, but they had to have suspected (rightly it would turn out) that a larger enemy force would be right behind him, and they had to make a clean getaway. If they'd stayed to recover Slaine, they likely all would have died.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I don't think Inaho cares about anybody except himself and probably his sister. if we look at it that way, spoiler[abandoning Saine] is entirely reasonable

For me, it really all boils down to this point:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Inaho should have said "Yes, you will see the princess. Land over there please, and we will put your plane on that battleship there, and I'll take you to her." Problem solved.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
We have no basis for the lift capabilities of their mechs. From the looks of it, they are barely able to float themselves, much less a plane twice their mass. They could probably have gotten it out of the water eventually, but they had to have suspected (rightly it would turn out) that a larger enemy force would be right behind him, and they had to make a clean getaway. If they'd stayed to recover Slaine, they likely all would have died.

Who said anything about floating? We know from episode 2 (3?) that the mech can handle being submerge up to the stomach in water, picking up a plane that crashed right next to the shore really shouldn't be a problem. Even if it absolutely is, they could have just grab the cockpit or even just Slaine himself, we know they can communicate with him trough radio so it wouldn't have been hard to tell him to open the cockpit. And again they had to wait for the civilian to board the super ship anyway, unless you think they left the civilian in the abandoned base.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
As to your first point, as we've noted several times, SLAINE SHOT FIRST. End of any discussion of him coming along peacefully please.

Only after Inaho deliberately provoked him into doing so in order to figure out Slaine's intentions towards the princess.

I have to seriously wonder if you're arguing in good faith anymore or just trolling us.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Who said anything about floating? We know from episode 2 (3?) that the mech can handle being submerge up to the stomach in water, picking up a plane that crashed right next to the shore really shouldn't be a problem. Even if it absolutely is, they could have just grab the cockpit or even just Slaine himself, we know they can communicate with him trough radio so it wouldn't have been hard to tell him to open the cockpit. And again they had to wait for the civilian to board the super ship anyway, unless you think they left the civilian in the abandoned base.

Priority was given to getting the hell out of the area, the island was already under surveillance of the Asura mech, and then another unknown faction jet showed up to fight the Asura mech, sticking around to see how long reinforcements would show up (even if a recovery mission would be "brief" in an hour time span) would be a terrible idea as it still took all there armament at hand just to take down the Asura mech and they didn't know how combat ready there recently acquired flying fortress would be against a potential follow up force.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Ok, there is necessarilly a lot of "what if" that goes into this discussion, so I don't want to hear about how my assumptions might be wrong, I'm just laying out a plausible collection of realities that would prevent that.

One, the ship landed close to shore, but still looked to be at least a few hundred feet out, and likely well deeper than 20ft or so (any shallower and I can't imagine the plane surviving impact), so the mechs would be completely submerged to reach it. They would then have to drag the weight of the plane back to shore, or somehow lift it onto their flying ship. Again, even if they could get it to short I don't see how they could get it from there to the airship.

Two, I think it's relatively safe to assume that Slaine was knocked unconcious in impact. We have no evidence either way, but it would be consistent with a crash like that. If so, he could not open the cockpit himself, could not communicate with them, and it could be that the terrans had no safe and rapid way of doing so themselves. Further, it assumes that the cockpit would be above water, it could have sunk to the bottom.

Third, as for the civilians boarding, there don't seem to be all that many of them, it could have been a fairly rapid process. I doubt they took more than an hour or so in total, given that Vers forces would have been right on Slaine's tail.

Basically, I think it was possible for them to recover Slaine, but I think any method of doing so would have been time consuming, and time ws a crucial factor here. I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that they did not feel they could recover him within the time they felt they had available, making abandoning him the correct move to make at the time.

Quote:

Only after Inaho deliberately provoked him into doing so in order to figure out Slaine's intentions towards the princess.

He didn't deliberately provoke anything. He certainly could have been more diplomatic, he probably could have defused the situation, but nothing he said demanded a physical assault, Slaine could have continued the conversation and not gotten shot himself. Consider it like a court case, if they were just people on the street with guns, and Slaine had shot Inaho on the grounds that he said "well what if I did want to exploit her?" would that really hold up as a justifiable homicide? Slaine was in the wrong, Inaho was acting in self defense.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:47 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

He didn't deliberately provoke anything. He certainly could have been more diplomatic, he probably could have defused the situation, but nothing he said demanded a physical assault, Slaine could have continued the conversation and not gotten shot himself. Consider it like a court case, if they were just people on the street with guns, and Slaine had shot Inaho on the grounds that he said "well what if I did want to exploit her?" would that really hold up as a justifiable homicide? Slaine was in the wrong, Inaho was acting in self defense.

I think I'm only going to say this once more, because it's been said too many times already. It's not about whether he could have been "more diplomatic" or defused the situation. Inaho CAUSED the situation, by responding to Slaine's happiness about saving the princess and knowing she was alive, with an indication that he was about to exploit her. It was a clear provocation. He wanted to get a reaction out of Slaine, and he got one. It was stupid. The smartest thing at that point would have been for him to tell Slaine what Slaine wanted to hear, to get him to land the plane so Slaine and his jet could be taken into custody for interrogation and study. This is absolutely the best course of action in any military situation, for all of the reasons which have already been laid out by numerous people.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
And, ChibiKangaroo we've said a million times already that there are plenty of plausible explanations why what he did wouldn't be out of character, whether it was stupid or not.

Oh, and let me be clear about one other thing (looking at you, dtm42): the next time someone in this thread accuses someone else of trolling just for having a contrary viewpoint, that post and any that quotes it will be deleted without recourse. Will not be tolerated.

Now, I'm going to suggest that we have a cooling-off period until the next episode airs tomorrow. People are getting a bit testy here.

(And for the record, I will probably be commenting less in this thread going forward due to the episode review thing. Will be interested, though, to see how some of you react to my write-up for eps 1-8 when it goes live tomorrow, along with ep 9's report.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
^
It's not for having a contrary viewpoint, or else I'd be calling at least half the people in the thread trolls. Which I haven't. So you're off base on that.

My issue is people talking about the same points that I've already covered but pretending that I haven't addressed them. Ohoni said that Slaine shot unprovoked but that ignores post after post after post of myself and others pointing out how Inaho clearly provoked him. If Ohoni doesn't agree with us then that's of course fine, but then at the very least he should actually address our points and say in what way they are wrong. Him simply pretending in the first place that those posts don't exist is insulting.

As for Bugnin, I don't know how much you saw of the thread before Tony K. pruned a couple of pages of it, but the guy was clearly baiting.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
My issue is people talking about the same points that I've already covered but pretending that I haven't addressed them. Ohoni said that Slaine shot unprovoked but that ignores post after post after post of myself and others pointing out how Inaho clearly provoked him.

dtm is right. This is what was frustrating me. I'm sure if you were arguing about something and people were pulling this same stuff over and over Theron, you'd probably be a little annoyed as well. Yea, I understand we can argue about the meaning of what we are seeing, but we have to at least be able to accept the basic facts that we see on screen.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Yea, I understand we can argue about the meaning of what we are seeing, but we have to at least be able to accept the basic facts that we see on screen.

Heck, I wouldn't even go that far. It isn't "fact" that Inaho provoked Slaine, that's just a theory of what happened. And no matter how strong and well-supported a theory may be, it is always up for meaningful debate.

But. That it is up for debate is precisely why if someone doesn't agree then they should debate it. If you're going to disagree with a position then at least have the common courtesy to address the points that have been raised and point out flaws and inconsistencies in the logic. It's only fair.

Speaking generally with regards to the forum as a whole and also specifically with regards to this thread, my longer posts can take me over an hour to write, each*. This is especially true if I refer to the anime in question and/or look up supporting evidence on the net. So when I see someone ignoring literally pages of lengthy debate and simply claiming that a discussion is over, that is an insult to the hard work and significant effort I put into supporting my position.

Some of the monsters take over two hours each, though thankfully I haven't written any of those in this thread.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Speaking generally with regards to the forum as a whole and also specifically with regards to this thread, my longer posts can take me over an hour to write, each*. This is especially true if I refer to the anime in question and/or look up supporting evidence on the net. So when I see someone ignoring literally pages of lengthy debate and simply claiming that a discussion is over, that is an insult to the hard work and significant effort I put into supporting my position.

I would try to persuade a person putting such a significant amount of effort into instead writing a complete (episode) review or make a Vlog in place of getting into arguments with (random) people in an online forum.

Regardless if it is simple ignorance or intentional trolling, one will eventually get a TL;DR response, especially if it is for a piece of text that runs longer than a couple paragraphs.

Most responses to a thread probably will (probably) take no more than 5 minutes to think up, and you get angry because your hour long effort is effectively dismissed because you were trying to construct a metaphorical concrete fortress when everyone else was just making sand castle statements that will be washed away when they watch the next episode of whatever series they are trying to catch.

To get back to the thread context (and repeat what I have said several times), when I actually take the time to think of where Aldnoah is at this point, I can't say it is "well executed" on most fronts (save for the decent action scenes and fitting background music), I can only say that it is entertaining (for my tastes) and not much more.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:33 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
^
My issue is people talking about the same points that I've already covered but pretending that I haven't addressed them. Ohoni said that Slaine shot unprovoked but that ignores post after post after post of myself and others pointing out how Inaho clearly provoked him.

dtm is right. This is what was frustrating me. I'm sure if you were arguing about something and people were pulling this same stuff over and over Theron, you'd probably be a little annoyed as well. Yea, I understand we can argue about the meaning of what we are seeing, but we have to at least be able to accept the basic facts that we see on screen.

Oh, I am a little annoyed already because I feel I'm getting that same kind of thing from you, dtm42, and a couple of others. Don't in the slightest think that Ohoni is the only one in this thread - on both sides of the debate - who could be accused of ignoring what's been said just to repeat their arguments ad nauseum. And, hell, I can feel myself sliding in that direction at times, too.

Now, you're welcome to disagree with me on that, too, but that's the way I see how this has been going ever since this blew up after episode 7. And that's why I want a cooling-off period.

This is the last comment I will make on the matter before next episode's discussion starts, as I am unlikely to have time to even look at this thread again until after I do my episode 9 write-up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 41 of 90