• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adv193

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:05 pm Reply with quote
One special notice is that after the recent Episode 1053, the anime will be going on a 3-week break due to the timeslot being pre-emptied with marathons airing in Japan. There fore for us English version watchers we will have to wait until March 18.

Here is the source: https://twitter.com/Orojapan1/status/1624784301475655684
Dernu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
While I don't really watch the anime for One Piece as I'm too spoiled by seasonal anime pacing and kinda just prefer reading the manga, nice to see it on the review lineup for those who want to see it. I'll give this episode a watch when I get the chance to see if it really looks as good as you say but otherwise while we may be near the end of the arc there's still quite a ways away to go til it ends in the anime.

Me too! I was looking for a nice episode close to the manga in terms of fidelity. But with One Piece, there are rarely bad surprises
Araki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It gives the mid-fight power-up a sinister edge and opens the door to interesting character development for Sanji (something he sorely needs, among other things).

Sanji is pretty much the only Strawhat with solid character development post-TS. If he still needs it - although he IS getting - I feel sorry for the others, especially Usopp, Franky and Chopper, lol.
But I guess more than half the crew is little more than glorified supporting characters and that's fine too.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Anyone have any insight (rumors, leaks, best guesses) on when we are going to be getting a new opening? I feel like we are LONG overdue for one.
Ninten

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:30 am Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
Anyone have any insight (rumors, leaks, best guesses) on when we are going to be getting a new opening? I feel like we are LONG overdue for one.
I just assumed we wouldn't get more openings before the end of the arc. Wano is ending in less than a year and I don't see them changing again that fast. They'll probably update some moments after a certain thing happen, though.
Felix Anime

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:03 am Reply with quote
One Piece has finally come to Netflix here in Singapore. They've bought the first 3 seasons with more coming in the months ahead.

I've never seen an ep of One Piece in my life. So my question is, how should i approach this series and what should i expect?
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Ninten wrote:
Connor Dino wrote:
I just assumed we wouldn't get more openings before the end of the arc. Wano is ending in less than a year and I don't see them changing again that fast. They'll probably update some moments after a certain thing happen, though.

it will probably occur after the wano arc ends
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OH&S

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Err, Grant. Zoro and King haven't finished their fight yet. There's still one more episode left.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:01 pm Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:
Err, Grant. Zoro and King haven't finished their fight yet. There's still one more episode left.

Yeah, I was incredibly confused by that too, enough so that I went back and checked last week's episode to make sure I hadn't slept through it somehow. And next week looks like a recap episode, so we're two weeks out from what Grant's talking about. How did this slip in here?

Felix Anime wrote:
One Piece has finally come to Netflix here in Singapore. They've bought the first 3 seasons with more coming in the months ahead.

I've never seen an ep of One Piece in my life. So my question is, how should i approach this series and what should i expect?

Obviously the series is an enormous time commitment if you intend to stick with it, but my best advice would be to not feel like you have to rush through it. Watch a handful of episodes and give it a shot. It's definitely not going anywhere no matter how many or few episodes you watch per sitting. The earliest story arcs are much simpler than where the series eventually goes, and the art style is a lot more cartoony than what you're probably used to seeing in anime. I won't say "at least watch until X, that's when it gets good," because that's a crappy way to sell someone on a series, and I think the first few arcs are definitely enjoyable, but I think there's also a clear moment later in the introductory portion of the series when Oda really starts to nail down the dramatic formula that he'll use to great effect over the next 25 years.
mooseV01

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:10 am Reply with quote
What an absolute masterclass of a One Piece episode.

How have we gotten to this point? Where this weekly anime can stand toe-to-toe with its seasonal counterparts.

OP literally looks and animates better ON AVERAGE than most seasonal anime and competes with the best ones. Demon Slayer, Oshi No Ko, anything by MAPPA…. And this is a long-running anime that doesn’t stop airing. How have we gotten to this point? Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine the OP anime would have production values this high quality.

It’s a shame that the pacing is still, often times, slow. And I get how that can be a deal breaker… but man… the OP anime has turned into an event.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:17 pm Reply with quote
It's funny, the Toonami dub run is at the end of Punk Hazard, which along with Dressrosa is what I'd peg as the absolute nadir of the anime's visuals. The contrast between that and the new episodes I'm watching each week is staggering. It doesn't even seem like the same show anymore.
mooseV01

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Whoever they got to take over for leading the production of the anime finally was able to get the talent needed to exist in this new age. To be able to keep up with all the new anime coming out, this needed to be done. I’m sure those at the top realized that and rose up. I’m so glad. Man I can’t wait till that moment.
noisemonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:15 am Reply with quote
Can't believe there is yet another recap episode next week. We are so far behind the manga now this seems unnecessary
mooseV01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:47 am Reply with quote
Haha

Did anyone catch the part where Momonosuke was remembering his family? That whole sequence pretty much used the OG Dragonball eye-catchers as a base, but replaced the characters on those with Hiyori, Oden and Toki. Very Happy
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:17 pm Reply with quote
How does the animation keep getting better and better? And it's safe to say they plan to top this for the climax of the Luffy and Kaido fight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 44 of 49