• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNual Halloween Pumpkin Carving Contest

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
RiderG wrote:
Mugimaru904 wrote:
I think there was a contest a few months back that never had the winners or entries posted, and was just forgotten.

now that's just unprofessional.

Looking over the last year's worth of contests, there was nothing like that. Please don't make things up. We have plenty of giveaways where the winners aren't posted publicly but are instead notified privately. This is a contest, not a giveaway, so the entries have to be judged, formatted, and posted. Takes a while.

Please remember that we have one (1) person working on this contest, and that's Bamboo, and it's a big job. Just be patient.
maddoghoek100

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I suppose you know you have run a successful promotion when you have so many people excite to see the results. So I am sure I speak for everyone when I say thank you from all of use for running the contest.

We weren't forgotten about last year, I know because I was lucky enough to win some great prizes. So just give it time.
tbartist09

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is a contest, not a giveaway, so the entries have to be judged, formatted, and posted. Takes a while.

Please remember that we have one (1) person working on this contest, and that's Bamboo, and it's a big job. Just be patient
.[/quote]

This very true, people seem to forget about all that "stuff" that includes cropping, resizing, and other editing. And when one person does that, it takes forever! - I can speak from experience on that. Not to mention when you have other things to do besides that...

Very Happy

Can't wait to see results!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sa-chan66

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
*still awaiting patiently* Anime smallmouth At least work/college/and a DS and 360 makes up for the time waiting!

So since there isnt any more entries added does anyone want to say what series they did their pumpkin from or video game? I'm so curious to see if theres a theme like last years "Gurren Lagann". I dont think there will be because nothing huge has come out in the states recently (or I'm just too busy and behind x__x).

Mines from Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro. I freakin love that series to bits and cosplay from it. <---- not obsessed though Anime smallmouth I did a Kamina from TTGL last year
ladygoddess8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I had such a hard time selecting but decided to do Alucard from Hellsing. Can both be detailed and scary. My practice pumpkin though was a zombie from Resident Evil: Degeneration.
dyzzispell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
<------------- Goku from Dragonball Z.
Took me probably 8 or so hours from the time I stuck the knife in the top of the pumpkin, to the stenciling, to the carving.
Like I said, first time doing it, so it was a long process. I didn't have the best tools, either, and I'm still feeling the blisters from it. Rolling Eyes
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I did moe!blob pumpkins... Mio and Yui from K-ON! :D;;;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mugimaru904

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I cannot speak for the previous contest stated above, because I don't know which contest y'all are talking about, but the Halloween contest has not been forgotten.

There's no way to forget about it. I am up to my waist in DVDs here.

I think it was the Dragonball Evolution/ Wacom giveaway back in July/August time frame. I'm sure the winners were notified, but I don't think any names were posted. Sorry about the confusion, it was a poor choice of words.

Zac wrote:
RiderG wrote:
Mugimaru904 wrote:
I think there was a contest a few months back that never had the winners or entries posted, and was just forgotten.

now that's just unprofessional.

Looking over the last year's worth of contests, there was nothing like that. Please don't make things up. We have plenty of giveaways where the winners aren't posted publicly but are instead notified privately. This is a contest, not a giveaway, so the entries have to be judged, formatted, and posted. Takes a while.

Please remember that we have one (1) person working on this contest, and that's Bamboo, and it's a big job. Just be patient.

Sorry if my post sounded that way, but for the Dragonball Evolution/ Wacom giveaway in late July the winners were never posted on the contest page. I am sure the winners were picked and notified, but it left some people in the discussion forum wondering if they were chosen or not. I guess I was thinking of that giveaway as a standard contest at the time, and I can see why the winners may not have been posted publicly for something like that. I understand there are a lot of entries to judge in this contest and I'm sorry if my post created any doubt in the judging methods. I'll be more careful of the wording in my future posts.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:43 am Reply with quote
I lied. There were 103 separate entries, with some entries containing multiple subentries.

Basically, it's just a minor organizational headache, since everyone names their files differently, and all the emails have to be sorted out, etc, but all the entries are phenomenal! I will have the entries posted tomorrow, at the latest.
Brazzlefrazz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:07 am Reply with quote
If all the entries are phenomenal mine must not have made it through! But I'm looking forward to all the pictures, a lot of them are amazingly creative and well done.
RiderG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
i apologize for adding any unwanted pressure or anxiety.

rant
spoiler[however i stress again that keeping the participants of these contests/events up to date with how goes the process is greatly appreciated and gives reassurance that we have not been forgotten. people have continued to post about being eager to see the entries (myself included) and we got no update since hearing there were 70 entrants. The article says winners would be selected within a week. i know it states TRY TO MAKE THE DECISION, but if it doesn't happen within a week then it would only be common courtesy to let us know it's gonna take longer. it takes the anxiety off of us who keep hoping it'll be up any minute/day THEREFORE MAKING US LESS CRANKY.

forgive me for sounding impatient but the main article itself still contains out of date or incorrect information:

"But wait-- we're not done adding prizes yet! Check back in a few days for even more stuff!"

is there still more stuff to be added or is everything there?

as for the giveaway, i know nothing of it personally, but if winners were notified privately than that fact in itself should have been posted so people didn't continue checking, wondering, guessing, if anyone was ever selected.

okay i'm almost done with my rant. i also find it unprofessional that updates out the wazoo suddenly appeared when you were criticized for how your contests were run. does that mean you have continually been checking the forums and only now give us a status update when you're accused of being inconsistent?
this rant wasn't drawn from this year alone. i'm also reminded of when i won 2 years ago and it took over 4 months for my prizes to be shipped. i sent out SEVERAL emails politely asking when i could expect them but never got a straight answer. i finally had enough and threatened to inform the sponsors that ANN had not delivered the promised prizes, and surprisingly enough i got them within 2 weeks later. unprofessional.]

/rant

alright after all that spew i do want to say THANK YOU very much for the status update. simply knowing that you're working very hard on making this as organized as possible is enough to get me off your back. i look forward to this contest each year and i'm very excited to see everyone's pumpkins Smile
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:13 am Reply with quote
Well, normally I'd list a few of my favorites; but this year I can't because there's so damned many. I genuinely do not envy being one of the judges this year.

Will give a shout out to one though: the Obama pumpkin, because it was the only one that made me lol.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:21 am Reply with quote
RiderG wrote:
Rant

Well, it took me 7 hours to go through the entries and organize everything, so it felt pretty nice posting everything and then coming here to read your rant. Thanks, man.

To everyone else who's been patient-- thank you.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:21 am Reply with quote
RiderG wrote:
i apologize for adding any unwanted pressure or anxiety.

Then you shouldn't have been a giant angry douchebag about it just then. Do me a big favor and don't bother to participate if you're just going to be an unreasonable, angry, impatient pain in the ass about the pumpkin contest, OK? We don't need this grief.

Sorry your prizes took too long to get to you, sorry we don't send text messages to your phone letting you know exactly when the winners will be announced, and sorry that it's taking longer to judge and post the winners. Spare me your paranoid fantasies about how bitching in the forums suddenly caused movement, these things take time.

If it's going to be like this every year where you're leaping up and down stamping your feet and crying about how we're not moving fast enough for you, then please just don't enter our pumpkin contest. It's not worth the headache on our end, at all. You might think you're stickin' it to the man or whatever but you're just being a pain in the ass.
ladygoddess8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:47 am Reply with quote
Awesome. Will the winners be posted too? I want to know who won out of all the fantastic pumpkins!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12