• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funi Adds Chrono Crusade, Gantz, Kaleido Star, Peace Maker

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Choice Gonzo, FUNi. Very choice. More people need to watch Kaleido Star. It's a must to press that it's from the same staff behind Princess Tutu and Aria (mostly the same seiyuu too!)
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Justin, I'm the furthest thing from a troll. I'm also the furthest thing from a complainer since I buy so much anime that my top shelf broke. I just find that FUNImation could really step up their game in terms of their DVD's. The Ouran quality was not great and had what I define as "fuzz" in the anime. I'm not a member of Mania, I don't know anything about bitrate, scaling, etc. but I do know some pretty bad quality when I see it.

There is some of their recent stuff that looks great like Tokyo Majin, but their newer stuff is either amazing like Big Windup! or really shoddy like Le Chevalier D'Eon .
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
configspace wrote:
What about extras? Will Funi be including all of them or not?
They have cut them out before from acquired ADV titles as well as their own for Viridian sets.

About Chrono Crusade, here's one thing I'd like to know: I saw two versions: a "Christmas special" limited edition box version at 650 mins long and the normal box version at 600 mins long. What's the difference? (I am assuming more extras; if so, anyone know what?)

There were three Chrono Crusade box set releases from ADV. The first was a thin pack. It did not have any of th extras from the singles. The second was the holiday edition from 2008. It contains the original 7 singles with extras in a keep case. The final release was released in 2009. It has 5 discs, with the episodes on the first 4 discs, and all the extras on the fifth.

The third box set was the cheapest, but it also had the lowest print run and can be harder to find. It also uses a stack pack. The the thin pack and holiday edition are usually easier to find. If you care more about the packagingl then the thin pack is the one you want. If you care more about the extras, then I would go with the holiday edition keepcase, if you don't mind the cover art.

ah, thank you! seen them at a local store in the bargain bin so I wasn't sure.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Justin, I'm the furthest thing from a troll. I'm also the furthest thing from a complainer since I buy so much anime that my top shelf broke. I just find that FUNImation could really step up their game in terms of their DVD's. The Ouran quality was not great and had what I define as "fuzz" in the anime. I'm not a member of Mania, I don't know anything about bitrate, scaling, etc. but I do know some pretty bad quality when I see it.

There is some of their recent stuff that looks great like Tokyo Majin, but their newer stuff is either amazing like Big Windup! or really shoddy like Le Chevalier D'Eon .

In all fairness however, both Le Chevalier D'Eon and Tokyo Majin were most likely authored by ADV. They produced not only the dubs for those shows, but the first boxset DVDs for Funimation.

Most of the R1 companies have a few shoddy looking DVDs amongst their releases, whether due to authoring issues or problems with the masters. It just seems to many of us that Funi has the most issues, especially when putting 6 or more episodes on a disc.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Most of the R1 companies have a few shoddy looking DVDs amongst their releases, whether due to authoring issues or problems with the masters. It just seems to many of us that Funi has the most issues, especially when putting 6 or more episodes on a disc.

These are all generalizations. I'm really curious to hear what recent, Funi-authored discs look so bad. I haven't seen their release of Chevalier, but even if they did reauthor, they were using dub masters from ADV. Anything else?
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't get into Kaleido Star when I saw it a few years back and I have no interest in Chrono Crusade. I'll definitely be picking up Gantz and Peacemaker, though, since I love both series and have yet to own either on DVD. Surprised
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

These are all generalizations. I'm really curious to hear what recent, Funi-authored discs look so bad. I haven't seen their release of Chevalier, but even if they did reauthor, they were using dub masters from ADV. Anything else?

The Ouran Complete Collection looks like a bootleg. Though I know they most likely just used everything from the older half sets. Kenichi isn't too bad, but it definitely has aliasing issues. FMA:B also have some definite issues, though it's certainly not the worst DVD I've seen Funimation release. Sasami and Save Me Lollipop! also looked pretty bad, but even decent video quality couldn't save those shows. The current crop that I've seen do look considerably better than their earlier box sets like Aquarion, Ghost Hunt (which may be one of the worst looking anime DVDs ever), and a few others that are slipping my mind.

I even admitted their current releases haven't been as bad in their past, but my exposure to them is fairly limited. They really haven't licensed a lot of shows I've been interested in. Most of what I've seen has come from watching shows with friends. They also have some that look pretty decent, like Big Windup!, though they still don't look as sharp as the singles that Funi, ADV, and Geneon were releasing a few years ago.

Also, you can't blame the Le Chevalier Deon issues on ADV's masters, as their singles look pretty good. If it was an issue with the masters, their singles would have been affected as well. I'm actually in the middle of rewatching that one. But like I said, it was likely that ADV authored that one themselves anyway. Hence why I said every R1 has some bum DVDs in their catalog.

Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
TakishidoKamen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
They keep re-releasing series I already own, then I feel mildly guilty for not buying them.
The Count

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Meh. Only like Gantz and I already own Adv's fantastic release. Now a bluray on the other hand, would tempt me quite a lot!

No you wouldn't. Those anime are from pretty early 2000's and would look like really shitty upscales. Read: will look like Trinity Blood
Or they could look like really nice upscales. Read: will look like Basilisk. If done well, I would buy Blu-rays for all these shows except Kaleido. Seeing the names of these shows brings up fond memories for me, of when Gonzo was a great studio.

As for the quailty of Funi's DVD's, put me in the "everyone stop your bitching, there not that bad" crowd. But, has anyone seen a faster "remastering" of a series as the one done for FMP TSR. Seriously was it even out for two years before being remastered(but the original singles had crappy quality).
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:30 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
The Ouran Complete Collection looks like a bootleg. Though I know they most likely just used everything from the older half sets.

Probably. I have the half-season packs, and you are definitely exaggerating. They aren't great, but they look faaaaaar from a bootleg. (Heck, some of the Naruto single bootlegs I've seen were mastered from VHS, quite visibly.)

Quote:
Kenichi isn't too bad, but it definitely has aliasing issues. FMA:B also have some definite issues, though it's certainly not the worst DVD I've seen Funimation release. Sasami and Save Me Lollipop! also looked pretty bad, but even decent video quality couldn't save those shows. The current crop that I've seen do look considerably better than their earlier box sets like Aquarion, Ghost Hound (which may be one of the worst looking anime DVDs ever), and a few others that are slipping my mind.

Aliasing isn't a compression artifact, so that can safely be blamed on the master. Not willing to subject myself to either Save Me Lollipop or Sasami (the latter is kinda old, and might be from before they hired real compressionists), but I will check out FMA:B at some point -- but this is the first I'm hearing of that disc looking anything but stellar. (The BD, OTOH, is an upscale.) Can you elaborate on what these problems are that you see? You're saying they don't look good, but other than Kenichi you didn't say what was wrong with them.

Ghost Hound is a Sentai release.

Anyway, my point isn't that Funi is infallable -- they're not perfect. But I really think people are judging their recent DVDs unfairly. Unfortunately when you put out a sub-par product for so many years, it's hard to get people to judge you on the new stuff, even 2-3 years hence. We had this problem at CPM too.
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I sure as hell hope that the Kaleido Star and Chrono Crusade transfer to crapmation doesn't include the dubs ADV did-they'll hopefully have to do their own dubs. Not like that other Sojitz transfer that nearly made ADV bankrupt-ADV did all the hard work and crapmation got all the benefits from it with little or no effort on their part.
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
xx

Last edited by zrdb on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
The Ouran Complete Collection looks like a bootleg. Though I know they most likely just used everything from the older half sets.

Probably. I have the half-season packs, and you are definitely exaggerating. They aren't great, but they look faaaaaar from a bootleg. (Heck, some of the Naruto single bootlegs I've seen were mastered from VHS, quite visibly.)

Ghost Hound is a Sentai release.

That was a typo. I meant Ghost Hunt. (When you post on your Droid, it's hard to go back and correct things.) It's actually one of my favorite series that Funi has licensed, but it definitely sports some of their worst quality video. I do have to admit that it looks just a bit better when I play it in my PS3 as opposed to when I use my Pioneer Upconvert.

But video quality can be affected quite a bit by the type of setup you have. The type of DVD or bluray player, the quality of the TV, even the quality of the cables used to connect to everything can have an adverse affect on A/V quality. On the other hand, a decent set up can actually help compensate for some source issues as well. Two different home theater set ups can give you completely different results from the same DVD or bluray.

Also, as far as bootlegs, I actually have seen a bootleg copies that look better than some of the R1's we have got. They may be illegal, but there not always bad. They're also the reason I never buy from Amazon Market Place sellers anymore. I've been burned with fakes one too many times. Razz But everybody has different standards when it comes to what they consider acceptable when it comes to a release.

Funimation isn't the only company who's video quality I've had issue with late. The new sets from Sentai don't look anywhere as sharp as the singles ADV was putting out just 2-3 years ago. Some like Hidamari Sketh actuallylook fairly bad. In general on many anime releases, I've just noticed colors don't look as vibrant, lines look more blurred, and in general the images just don't look as good.

A group of us at Anime Network have been watching Le Chevalier Deon, generally using the ADV singles as they are much cheaper. They look incredible. The lines are clean. The motion clear. Colors are bright and vibrant. There are no signs of compression artifact, color banding, or background noise.

I watched some of Samurai 7 from Funimation a few months ago and I was blown away by how good the video looked. Upscaled on my HD Sony, it looked awesome. I can say the same for Hell Girl and Mushishi.

Now even compared to the sets from Funi and Sentai that have been done pretty well, there doesn't seem to be much of a comparison. In general, the images just seem washed out. Hell, I recently watched the Princess Nine DVD's which are 8 years old at this point, and they still look pretty damn good upscaled.

I'm not saying Funimation is terrible, but I have run into a lot more problems with their video than I have with others. But I've also never get a defective disk from Bandai, so I could be in the minority here. Wink That doesn't mean my opinion is invalid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6