• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Card Captor Sakuga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:13 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:
The great thing about varied animation styles and corrections in Japanese animation is how focused it is on individuality. For a nation ever so criticized for being close-minded and conforming animation has become an incredible way for man and woman's individuality to come to life. Western animation pratices focus on animators being exactly-on-model machines that go back to the same limited and stagant pool of techniques. I think that's one of the reasons we no longer get high-budget traditional animation anymore, studios have accidentally convinced themselves they've taken 2D as far as they can and now only have CG to conquer. It's pretty sad.

Laughing My friend who was a big Simpsons fan cited that as a big problem with the modern Simpsons in comparison to the old one. It is a slave to being on-model and you no longer see all those hilarious off-model faces or poses anymore. He thinks it's so lifeless and sterile now.

I know exactly what you mean. When things are the same all the time, they become boring.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:24 am Reply with quote
Brian the Answerman wrote:
Now, as far as how to identify particular animators across the myriad anime projects throughout the years: like I mentioned earlier with my Benny Washam example, I personally can identify which scenes Benny Washam has animated, because I've watched Looney Tunes so God damned much first of all, to the point where I can pick out certain eccentricities in the animation and design that differ from the rest of the short; Ben Washam's animation of Bugs Bunny in particular was easy to point out, as taken from Washam's Wiki entry:

"His animation of Bugs Bunny is easy to recognize, as he usually let Bugs' incisor teeth taper to a point. Also, he drew relatively wide cheeks and big pupils on Bugs' eyes. Another Washam trait was his tendency to nod a talking character's head. His work is best recognized by the loose connection of the core body parts, with a great deal of Hip Initiation; this led to multiple assignments of 'personality' scenes, as he could keep interest well in closeup. Chuck Jones commented on his ability to denote personality through facial cues. His work is angular in pose and fluid in movement."

Brian, I think you should start another career as cartoon art appraiser. American animation art before 1970's gets high value if it's appraised correctly.

Admit it. You're a Sakuga Otaku through and through. Why? Anyone who talks about any animation art in that level of detail is Sakuga Otaku.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Laughing My friend who was a big Simpsons fan cited that as a big problem with the modern Simpsons in compassion to the old one. It is a slave to being on model and you no longer see all those hilarious off-model faces or poses anymore. He thinks it's so lifeless and sterile now.

Yeah, the older stuff was so much more interesting because of how loopy they'd get with their animation. Now that we're in the digital age we could do that so much more easily making it a shame that western animation's become a slave to the models.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:24 am Reply with quote
About that comparison:
The old OP was STILL on-model. The differences is that the older one had more stretch-n-squash, and larger arcs, with slower or more visible ease-in/out. In fact, it used the typical classical animation style, one that Disney uses for their 2d stuff. The new version cuts out that too-slow ease-in/out, swimming-in-water look, and is more punchy. They have also learned cut out that floaty style in current 3D animation, and also make it much more punchy. It also better reflects the gag, sharp humor nature of the show. Look at certain live comedies. Look at Seinfield. Do people float around, with large, slow arcing motions? No, their motions are mixed with many quick, succinct movements, with an impression of stillness while not moving. The irony is that the second OP or newer style, which I think is a better fit for the show, actually matches more of the type TV anime we see today (barring any consistency issues)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6