• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fan Gets 3D Poké Ball Tattoos/Subdermal Implants

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiggysaurus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
I'm not telling people to change their own opinions on how it LOOKS to them, but rather they shouldn't just look at modification that goes beyond tattooing and call it "mutilation." That's what I was referring to in my initial post.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
Wiggysaurus wrote:
I'm talking about how I keep seeing it being referred to as "mutilation," I should have specified. I feel like it shouldn't be considered as such because he's not really doing any harm to himself or anyone else.

To be more relevant, I wouldn't ever consider such a thing for myself, but support these implants if they make him happy, as anyone else who wants them should get them. I'm a huge Poké-fan myself, but would probably go as far as to have a Raichu tattooed on me in a hide-able place.

I have no problems with a tasteful tattoo. If your favorite pokemon is Raichu than get it tattooed on your body. It's just that stuffing implants on your arms is taking it to far.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
Meh, it looks a little strange at first, but it actually doesn't bother me too much. To each his/her own. Whatever.

Whoops... apparently that was an April Fool's joke (what I had posted).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
DarkPhoenixMishima wrote:
This guy is probably going to want a girlfriend that turns her breasts in Master Balls or something.

Been done in the Manga already:

Good ole Japan, if it can be done, it will be done eventually. Even if it is really, really out there.

And the ironic thing is, it was in an officially licensed Nintendo/Gamefreak Pokemon Manga!!

Your kidding? I've been buying games from Nintendo for close to seventeen years now and even after all these years, would have never guessed Nintendo would endorse something like that. I am not saying they are really old fashioned, but I can only imagine the PR headache that would have caused back then.

Do you have the original source? I only ask, because this almost sounds like a internet rumor because of how NOA runs these days.

Now that is wild and here I thought nothing Nintendo would do these days would actually somewhat surprise me.

But I wonder though, what is going to happen to the fan once novelty or "awesomeness" wears off? It might great now, but what about five, ten twenty years from now? Granted, Poke'mon is likely to last several more years (maybe even several more decades) but eventually Poke'mon will end eventually and once that happens, it's likely to be less popular. So then what? Even the greatest surgeon in the universe can't remove 100% of the scarring and make it so his arm looks like it did originally 100%.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:11 am Reply with quote
Wiggysaurus wrote:
People who modify their bodies aren't looking for rude comments and cliché remarks . . .

They may not be looking for them, but they should have the common sense to know that some people aren't going to take the result positively. Art is subjective. The same freedom that gives one person the right to express himself give others the right to criticize. The fact that this person chose to not only post those pics but give an interview with ANN suggest he wanted to be in the spotlight.

Quote:
I'm not telling people to change their own opinions on how it LOOKS to them, but rather they shouldn't just look at modification that goes beyond tattooing and call it "mutilation." That's what I was referring to in my initial post.

Looks to me like folks are just calling it as they see it. *shrug*
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Do you have the original source? I only ask, because this almost sounds like a internet rumor because of how NOA runs these days.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/PS032
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/PS032

Wow,, I never ever would expect that in a Poke'mon manga, much less anything that Nintendo would ever license. And the fact it was made by the author and not a random fan is even more impressive as well.

And here I thought Poke'mon manga was as G rated as they come. I am glad the author did decide to push the envelope though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6