• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does anybody miss the "boom" years?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardFromMarple

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote
Around that time the book & film of Memoirs of a Geisha came out, even if the accuacy of both are lacking.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:15 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to see though that the upcoming The Wolverine takes place in Japan, that's cool
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
You can roll your eyes at it, but it's going to happen. As you get older, you fall into the "been there, done that" because entertainment will always be targeted to a select demographic, and your 40+ year old butt won't be in it, old timer.

Tell me about it. I'm 37 and think that SWV's "I'm So Into You" would be perfect for an AMV about Kuroneko's love for Kyosuke from Oreimo, but few would get it because the song was from 1992. Well, they'd get it as a reference to GTA: San Andreas since it was on the CSR radio station, but that's not the reference I would be going for if I made the AMV.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I didn't even think that there were any Sam Goody stores even left! There used to be a Sam Goody in every shopping mall, but they're long since gone. Even the FYE and Suncoast stores near me are dwindling.

Yep, My town has a Sam Goody (Its actually FYE now but the signs been up there for so long that they don't even bother calling it FYE, its so I guess its still Sam Goody) but its the only decent thing in my town, everything else is boring as heck. The FYE's in the bigger cities that surround my small town are all closed, so all that's left is the Sam Goody in my town and a Coconuts an hour away from us. At least you have a Suncoast near by, like I said earlier, the closest one to me is about 5 or 6 hours away, and I don't like buying online because I like to know I'm getting what I paid for. (Long story short I ordered something online a while back and it gave me the exact opposite of what I wanted.)
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah, anime has started to somewhat went downhill, there's not a lot of anime with original story. It's just moe, and remake of hit anime (DBZ Kai, Neon Genesis Evangelion 1.0 & 2.0, etc...). I do miss the boom year, and I wish Japan could have it's own well, Japanese wave. An interesting article I read speculate if Japan is losing it's cool around the world, and even said that Japan is losing to Korea. Speaking of Korea.

Joe Carpenter wrote:

I have a pet theory for one reason why it may have happened, it seems like every so often American gains a fascination with a foreign country, the country in question becomes cool, it all started I guess in the 60's with the British Invasion (The Beatles etc), then in the 80's you had fascination with Australia (Livin' in a Land Down Under, Crocodile Dundee, Mad Max), in the 90's it seems like America was fascinated with Celtic culture, both Scottish and Irish (The Cranberries, Braveheart, River Dance)

and finally, in the 2000's it was Japan's turn, America had gotten over seeing them as economic rivals and instead saw them as cool (The Last Samurai is one example of this, as is all the J Horror remakes like The Ring) and it just so happened that there was already a following for something Japanese in America, anime, which got a boost from this general Japanese hipness

but it's over now (the last J Horror remakes for example were all released in 2008), America is too self centered these days, there's just no room for appreciation of another country in the age of Kim Kardashian, Twitter and Facebook, Americans are fascinated with America itself now

uh, you might want to add Hallyu or Korean Wave. I know K-pop, K-drama are already getting popular outside of Asia. I never seen Japan able to do something like this outside of anime/manga. I never seen J-pop being able to get the same type of global popularity like K-pop (as in AKB48 never done a world tour unlike Girls Generation/SNSD are doing, or EXILE never perform outside of Japan when their Korean equivalent, Super Junior did that outside of Korea and Asia and are now doing a world tour). K-pop has already gotten the world attention and recognition more then J-pop. After K-drama got popular, other Asian countries like Taiwan, Singapore, Mainland China, and Hong Kong have started to subtitled and export their dramas outside of Asia. For Japan, they didn't even cash in on the drama craze, there's like less then 10 J-dramas that are subtitled and exported outside of Asia. I can find more Korean and Chinese-language dramas then J-dramas on streaming sites (Crunchyroll, Dramafever, and Viki). Even NHK World doesn't have any anime or J-drama play for international audiences when Arirang TV and KBS World does for K-drama for international audiences. So I feel that Japan is not only going downhill but also isolating their pop culture from outside when Korea is pushing their pop culture to impress the world. To be honest, Korea play the pop culture export better then Japan. I even read that Korean languages classes are getting more popular then Japanese languages classes thanks to the Hallyu.

If Japan can replicate what Korea did (export J-drama outside of Asia on the same level and # as K-dramas, and have J-pop get more overseas performances including doing world tour and maybe doing non-Japanese language songs/albums) then maybe anime can get another golden year (and renewed global interest) if Japan have it's own "hallyu". But the question is: Can the Japanese govt give the entertainment and music industry the same push like Korea did for K-pop and K-drama?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:09 am Reply with quote
From a creative standpoint, I do miss the "boom" years when it came to pumping out more diversity in the genres and storylines that anime titles delivered. Around the early to mid 2000s, studios were willing to take more risks in delivering original or unique premises that could hook in a wide range of audiences. Nowadays, you're lucky to have a few titles that stick out from the norm each season as many titles are made to either cater to otaku or milking off the popularity of a long-running popular anime franchise (Yamato, Dragon Ball, Evangelion, etc). It's like many studios are afraid to take risks nowadays and choose to just stick with the status quo to appeal to the current fanbase. That's all well and good, but this runs the risk of alienating new or casual fans who aren't into the otaku-pandering stuff or older franchises and could come to bite them hard in later years.

From a marketing standpoint though, I'm not missing the "boom" years too much. Unlike that time where you'd have to pay an arm and a leg to buy an entire series in singles volumes, American distributors have learned to offer less pricey options to attract fans to buy their stuff, having season sets and "classics lines" that are cheaper than buying full-price single volumes for a whole series and don't hog much of a collector's shelf space. The biggest thing that kept me from wanting to buy much anime during that time was having to pay so much just for a single volume of several anime episodes, so I'd wind up buying entire series sets if a store had them available. Sure some of the major players like Geneon, Central Park Media and Bandai are no longer around. But in their place, we've got distributors like NIS America, Discotek and Sentai Filmworks to fill the void of what they once had. I miss the old ones dearly, but it isn't like it will be the end of the world without their presence in the American anime market.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I kind of don't. It's all so much more accessible now even if you don't count streams. I used to have to decide between buying one series or another but now I can have a very clear view of what to get and get much more because they come in set form.

I've already seen everything I would buy before the discs get released and only buy for collecting purposes or to show them to friends who only watch dubs. So naturally not having to set calendar events for when each volume comes out is really nice.

It's also really nice to talk about a show people have actually seen. That didn't happen often back in then (and far far less-so before the boom)

While we couldn't possibly be where we are now without the boom, I'm glad we've moved on by taking what was valuable from it and applying modern practices.
HoshiNoMiko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the "boom" anime days, I miss them from a nostalgic point of view. I got into anime mostly thanks to the "boom" years when anime was readily accessible on TV with shows like Gundam Wing, Cardcaptors, Inuyasha, things like that and because of such I met some of my closest friends through a love of it. It also felt that it was easier to buy products back then, manga was slowly being introduced to bookstores and anime was being sold more readily at stores like Futureshop and Best Buy, hell even WalMart (at least up here in Canada).

I do agree with what Ggultra2764 said though, in that I don't miss those years when it comes to what things cost. Back when I was getting into my collection in 2000 or 2001 something like that I remember buying a manga was almost $26 Can. of course that had something to do with our crappy exchange rate, but it was still insane. The prices for individual DVDs and boxed sets were nuts too... I remember paying $200 for each of my YYH boxed sets, now you can get those same boxed sets for like $50 (compressed mind you, but still)...

I will admit that I've noticed a decline in anime/manga and its popularity since about 2007 or so, but I'm grateful that it hasn't fallen off the radar entirely. If I walk into my local HMV I can still find an entire selection devoted to it, and Chapters still has a large manga and graphic novel section as well. I dunno thanks to the "boom" there we got a little more light shone on the anime and manga world and it hasn't faded out entirely... but maybe I've just got rose coloured goggles on and haven't been a fan long enough.
EricJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
An interesting article I read speculate if Japan is losing it's cool around the world, and even said that Japan is losing to Korea.
But the question is: Can the Japanese govt give the entertainment and music industry the same push like Korea did for K-pop and K-drama?

"Losing" to Korea, unquote, isn't a validation of Korean pop culture, it's just what one poster mentioned earlier--Every country becomes "trendy" for a few years the minute we find out they exist. (Until they blow it, of course--Australia had the jolly nah-worries free ride for most of the 80's, until they sent us Yahoo Serious, and then we realized they were just easily-amused beer-belchers. Razz )

Japan, as pointed out, was cool for most of the late 90's--Go back and look at some of the depictions of Japan in the 70's and 80's, before we knew that J-culture "existed": Much of the national pop-depictions of Japanese in TV, sitcoms and movies, partly fueled by racist anger over their boom economy, hadn't changed since the Courtship of Eddie's Father--Business executives in little herds still snapped cameras, their wives dressed like geishas, and giant monsters stomped through their cities. When Sailor Moon and the Power Rangers suddenly linked up with the (Lum-obsessed) underground tape-trading cult community--now in college after having watched Robotech and Star Blazers in sixth grade--called out that Disney's big hit Lion King wasn't "original", Disney and Fox gave us these two cute heartwarming imports we'd never heard of before, and a lot of old-fogeys in their 40's said "Hey, I remember Astro Boy!", all of a sudden, we realized that there was this new cultural wellspring out there. US cartoons of the 80's were dying out, the 90's corporate push to imitate post-Mermaid Disney, and cable's attempt to be hip and ugly left room for some new export to capture weary, disgruntled US animation tastes and reshape them. And all of a sudden, it became hip to have "heard" of Japan, even if that cool "Japanimation" t-shirt you'd bought at the mall Hot Topic wasn't really Goku or Priss, even though it looked like them.

The trick is whether that "new" country can stay on the cultural map--J-horror was the taste craze of the US, after a few remakes caught disgruntled US horror tastes. But after they got repetitive and too imitative of each other, it became a genre you either loved or hated...Leaving room for, ooh, K-horror to wander in and surprise us! Followed by K-pop, K-drama, etc., all after we'd "gotten too used" to the J varieties.
But so far, there haven't been that many solid breakout hits that reshape our entire image of Korea from the days of MASH reruns, except to notice that, ooh, they make their own horror, action and animateds too, but you have to keep from confusing them with Japanese ones. That's NOT exactly the makings of long-term influence.
We can still talk about an anime show as its own entity, without slapping it on a skater's t-shirt as "hip". Discussing an anime show is different from discussing Adventure Time on CN, because an anime show IS what it was made to be, and can be appreciated on that level. That makes it more of an art form than a trend, and not having the former is why the latter dies out.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
An interesting article I read speculate if Japan is losing it's cool around the world, and even said that Japan is losing to Korea.
But the question is: Can the Japanese govt give the entertainment and music industry the same push like Korea did for K-pop and K-drama?

"Losing" to Korea, unquote, isn't a validation of Korean pop culture, it's just what one poster mentioned earlier--Every country becomes "trendy" for a few years the minute we find out they exist. (Until they blow it, of course--Australia had the jolly nah-worries free ride for most of the 80's, until they sent us Yahoo Serious, and then we realized they were just easily-amused beer-belchers. Razz )

Japan, as pointed out, was cool for most of the late 90's--Go back and look at some of the depictions of Japan in the 70's and 80's, before we knew that J-culture "existed": Much of the national pop-depictions of Japanese in TV, sitcoms and movies, partly fueled by racist anger over their boom economy, hadn't changed since the Courtship of Eddie's Father--Business executives in little herds still snapped cameras, their wives dressed like geishas, and giant monsters stomped through their cities. When Sailor Moon and the Power Rangers suddenly linked up with the (Lum-obsessed) underground tape-trading cult community--now in college after having watched Robotech and Star Blazers in sixth grade--called out that Disney's big hit Lion King wasn't "original", Disney and Fox gave us these two cute heartwarming imports we'd never heard of before, and a lot of old-fogeys in their 40's said "Hey, I remember Astro Boy!", all of a sudden, we realized that there was this new cultural wellspring out there. US cartoons of the 80's were dying out, the 90's corporate push to imitate post-Mermaid Disney, and cable's attempt to be hip and ugly left room for some new export to capture weary, disgruntled US animation tastes and reshape them. And all of a sudden, it became hip to have "heard" of Japan, even if that cool "Japanimation" t-shirt you'd bought at the mall Hot Topic wasn't really Goku or Priss, even though it looked like them.

The trick is whether that "new" country can stay on the cultural map--J-horror was the taste craze of the US, after a few remakes caught disgruntled US horror tastes. But after they got repetitive and too imitative of each other, it became a genre you either loved or hated...Leaving room for, ooh, K-horror to wander in and surprise us! Followed by K-pop, K-drama, etc., all after we'd "gotten too used" to the J varieties.
But so far, there haven't been that many solid breakout hits that reshape our entire image of Korea from the days of MASH reruns, except to notice that, ooh, they make their own horror, action and animateds too, but you have to keep from confusing them with Japanese ones. That's NOT exactly the makings of long-term influence.
We can still talk about an anime show as its own entity, without slapping it on a skater's t-shirt as "hip". Discussing an anime show is different from discussing Adventure Time on CN, because an anime show IS what it was made to be, and can be appreciated on that level. That makes it more of an art form than a trend, and not having the former is why the latter dies out.

Well it possible that K-pop could die down. But Korea plays the cultural export game better then the Japanese. I never seen Japan doing anything on the same level as the Hallyu/Korean Wave. J-pop has never gone global like their Korean counterpart. But I'm going off topic if you want to talk more about the comparison between Japan and Korea on pop culture export, I'll be glad to to discuss about it via private message. Right now, this isn't the right area for me to discuss about the 2 countries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
I dunno about sKorea going global. Not counting their landslide of MMOs I don't see anything in stores. Music stores around here have j-pop sections of varying sizes but with the exception of Gangnam Style merch and some classical music CDs there's no sKorean presence to be seen.

I think the anime boom might've opened people's minds to sKorean animation but any time I see their name on something it's in the production credits of a Japanese or American show (mainly because their in-between work is dirt cheap and super plentiful) or it's a movie/OVA or game intro and not a full-on TV series. Youtube and Wikipedia research supports this. I'd LIKE to see some as I enjoy their art just as much as japanese art. There's enough subtle differences that it's clearly it's own thing.

It's a shame too because I would've watched the hell out of Hamos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiEXxI4y1tA

Manhwa caught on nicely in the west as a side effect of the anime boom so it's not impossible if the source material is there.
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 man, you gotta lay off that Korea soapbox already Laughing
StaticAge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I dont mss the boom years.

I'd rather 4-5 really amazing new series come out in a year than for 4k-5k mediocre series.

And well organized cons like Otakon do better and better each year. Their expanding Otakon to Las Vegas next year, and moving it to DC because crowds get bigger and bigger every year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6