• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is The Anime Glut And The American TV Glut The Same Thing?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Saffire wrote:
this Wikipedia page should make it obvious at a glance.

I believe someone already mentioned the problem with just counting the number of series. Since the recession the number of 11-13 episode series has substantially increased, and the number of 23+ episode series has declined. Producers are now more cautious and hedge their bets with shorter initial runs. Akagami no Shirayuki-hime might well have been slotted for 24 episodes if it appeared a few years back. Instead it is being released as a "split-cour" series with installments last summer and next winter.

Which, as far as production costs go, is no different from a 24-ep series.
24 episodes is 24 episodes.
Split cours are planned from the start, it not like the 2nd cour suddenly gets cancelled.

Saffire wrote:

It might be harder to prove that the amount has increased since 2008, but there's no time frame set on the question. I stand by my statement.

Its easier to just look at how many new anime episodes air per year, its not perfect with OVA and movies, but it'll do.

Going by previous post, its 135 episodes per week. Around 1/3th~ of those are late-nigth anime.
FireWhale

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this was exactly the distinction I was wondering about. It's a little different to say there's "more anime" vs. "more anime series (but with fewer episodes per series)". If we're concerned with total hours, we also have to consider the episode length of shows like Wakakozake, which is only 3 minutes per episode. 2015 wasn't the first year of short anime series. Chi's Sweet Home (2008) is also only 3 mins per episode (but with 8x as many episodes).

Of course, I'm not saying any one metric (series count vs. episode count vs. total hours) is more "correct" than another. But it's probably a good idea to make a distinction if the metrics tell different stories.

I'm also too lazy to visit each series' page and manually add them up, though, haha. Maybe some more devout anime statistician would be willing to collect and analyze the data. I would say that the ANN database is probably way more complete than the wikipedia database, if someone were to take up the task.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
FireWhale wrote:
2015 wasn't the first year of short anime series. Chi's Sweet Home (2008) is also only 3 mins per episode (but with 8x as many episodes).

...and let's not forget Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat, in which the episodes are eight minutes long, but the episode count is six times that much.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:00 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@leafy sea dragon

Outside the major urban areas, most communities granted monopoly status to a private cable provider in order to entice them to come to town. I'm not sure how it works in areas like yours. For such communities, satellite provides an alternative form of TV service to people who do not like the monopoly.

Also cable is notorious for refusing to extend service to any area where the population density is not great enough. My parents lived a half mile from the nearest cable service and didn't get it until a housing development set up behind them. For people not covered by cable it is the only way to get most of the channels cable provides. Also a lot of those not covered by cable live in areas where broadcast reception is bad.

The only reason we have cable for both TV and internet is that it is the only service locally which will support streaming. I used to have Verizon DSL and it would choke trying to handle Crunchyroll at the minimum quality level. A lot of people have pointed out that Verizon FIOS is the best thing available for both TV and internet. Unfortunately, Verizon has reported that they have no intention of offering this service in our valley in the foreseeable future, no reason given.

In my neighborhood, I know some other households get cable TV via Comcast and Time Warner Cable, but most use Verizon FiOS for their Internet, or they use dial-up services. I've also seen an Adelphia van in our neighborhood once, but no one I've asked in my neighborhood uses Adelphia.

Apparently, the story behind our neighborhood and FiOS, according to the guy who installed it, was that the place was originally assigned to regular DSL, but the composition of the ground would've destroyed the cables, so they used fiber optics instead. Hence, we upgraded from 56k straight to fiber optics.

FireWhale wrote:
Yeah, this was exactly the distinction I was wondering about. It's a little different to say there's "more anime" vs. "more anime series (but with fewer episodes per series)". If we're concerned with total hours, we also have to consider the episode length of shows like Wakakozake, which is only 3 minutes per episode. 2015 wasn't the first year of short anime series. Chi's Sweet Home (2008) is also only 3 mins per episode (but with 8x as many episodes).

Of course, I'm not saying any one metric (series count vs. episode count vs. total hours) is more "correct" than another. But it's probably a good idea to make a distinction if the metrics tell different stories.

In addition, there are now streaming-only series like Ninja Slayer from Animation and Sailor Moon Crystal, which essentially creates another source to show anime not bound by the restraints of timeslots. I'd imagine that prior to streaming becoming popular, there would have been a hard limit: The number of possible timeslots on all of the available channels in Japan. Now, that limit's been lifted.
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Unless you are new to anime or in the industry professionally there is no need to try to watch everything.

Trust me, even if you are in the industry professionally it is absolutely impossible to watch even a large percentage of the content currently being produced. At best, I'm able to find time to consume no more than 15-20%.

The rest will just have to wait until I'm retired. -_^

Bob (aka Robert)
President
The Anime Corner Store

Follow RACS on Twitter or Facebook
or on the RACS Official Blog
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
@Bob

I am retired and I still don't have enough time to watch all the stuff you sold me, much less all the stuff streaming. I really should stay away from your store updates page. Shocked Shocked Nah, that would take the fun out of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6