• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei Herz!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. That's what Ruby and Sapphire are for. They advised her to end the fight quickly only halfway through the fight. Had she ever been in real mortal danger I believe they would have warned her not to exhaust herself anymore or forcibly disbanded from her body. She fired an attack that destroyed a powerful weapon and was STILL in that form while she talked to Miyu. Illya was in pain right after the fight ended but afterwards she was perfectly fine. Honestly if they have that kind of power I find it hard to believe fixing up a couple organs/body functions would be THAT difficult.

Regardless it all comes down to visual representation to me. When a character suddenly has a powerup like this it merely feels cheap if they don't suffer some kind of consequence for it. Rock Lee/Guy from Naruto using the Eight Gates is a good example of power that brings bodily harm to it's usage. The powerup might have originally came out of no where but when you see the price they both paid for using it there is a fair trade off there.

If you you've played Metal Gear Solid 4 that also works in showing the costs of being better than the average human. Solid Snake being a clone of one of the worlds greatest men came a price of him having a shortened lifespan, being unable to have kids and only being able to move around using injections when he became old.

I just think the writer didn't properly express this power coming at a good enough price to limit it's usage.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Something contextually important to toss out is that in the source manga, spoiler[the fight gets concluded BUT as soon as our heroines are breathing a sigh of release the two shadowy figures appear and warp the cast unto what will become the setting of Drei.
The final manga scene is Irisviel shocked to her core as the fate of her daughters is beyond her power.
By giving a "moment of respite" takes away the original impact on the end of the 2wei chapter.
]

[EDIT: Never spoiler tag an entire post. You must provide some context about why it's tagged. - Key]
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:05 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
jymmy wrote:
While Gilgamesh did really exist in FSN, Ea did not actually create the world. It's a hax weapon, but it's a Noble Phantasm at the end of the day.

That was never specified in the anime or manga. As viewers we have to take what the characters say as fact UNLESS it revealed they were either lying, misinformed or the story uncovers the truth later. Gil straight up told told us it was used to create the world. If he was at half power that still means the weapon would be powerful enough to wreck earth.

Right, but Gilgamesh is a Heroic Spirit born from a Class Card, an item created by humans for use in the Holy Grail War. He's a mythical hero in the context of the story as presented to you. It makes no sense that he would have a weapon that literally created the world. Ea is conceived in myth as having done so, and because of this it has the ability to destroy Reality Marbles and the miniature world things the Heroic Spirits appear in.

This is all pretty basic Fate/stay night stuff, and even though Illya explains it perfectly well, I think, the fact that it's a spinoff assumes you already know this.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:47 am Reply with quote
Why are we talking about Metal Gear Solid 4 in a thread about Prisma Illya?
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
jymmy wrote:
While Gilgamesh did really exist in FSN, Ea did not actually create the world. It's a hax weapon, but it's a Noble Phantasm at the end of the day.

That was never specified in the anime or manga. As viewers we have to take what the characters say as fact UNLESS it revealed they were either lying, misinformed or the story uncovers the truth later. Gil straight up told told us it was used to create the world. If he was at half power that still means the weapon would be powerful enough to wreck earth.

Right, but Gilgamesh is a Heroic Spirit born from a Class Card, an item created by humans for use in the Holy Grail War. He's a mythical hero in the context of the story as presented to you. It makes no sense that he would have a weapon that literally created the world. Ea is conceived in myth as having done so, and because of this it has the ability to destroy Reality Marbles and the miniature world things the Heroic Spirits appear in.

This is all pretty basic Fate/stay night stuff, and even though Illya explains it perfectly well, I think, the fact that it's a spinoff assumes you already know this.

I'm actually not familiar with Fate Night. Fate Illya is the first fate series I've watched. Even saying that I think spin offs should still explain these things just as well as their original shows. I remember watching the Rock Lee SD spinoff and noticed that they ALWAYS gave context if they were referencing a character or event from the original show. They even somewhat explained ninjutsu. And that was a comedic heavy show. Fate Illya doesn't really explain how much magic can be applied to it's world. We've seen Rin use spell to maginify the power of an attack and use it to make herself lighter. How does that work and what exactly are the limitations of it? Can people use it to fly? Really none of that is talked about. So it leaves a third wheel like me wondering how it's all supposed to work.

So to someone like me I don't see a reason to not believe what he's said. Gil doesn't seem like the kind of person who would use that as an intimidation tactic or wouldn't know that it wasn't as powerful as he was thinking.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:38 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I'm actually not familiar with Fate Night. Fate Illya is the first fate series I've watched. Even saying that I think spin offs should still explain these things just as well as their original shows. I remember watching the Rock Lee SD spinoff and noticed that they ALWAYS gave context if they were referencing a character or event from the original show. They even somewhat explained ninjutsu. And that was a comedic heavy show. Fate Illya doesn't really explain how much magic can be applied to it's world. We've seen Rin use spell to maginify the power of an attack and use it to make herself lighter. How does that work and what exactly are the limitations of it? Can people use it to fly? Really none of that is talked about. So it leaves a third wheel like me wondering how it's all supposed to work.

So to someone like me I don't see a reason to not believe what he's said. Gil doesn't seem like the kind of person who would use that as an intimidation tactic or wouldn't know that it wasn't as powerful as he was thinking.

That's just naruto... puting explanations left and right to get more screen time.

[EDIT: Please avoid excessive nested quoting. If it's beyond two levels, it needs to be trimmed. - Key]
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I'm actually not familiar with Fate Night. Fate Illya is the first fate series I've watched. Even saying that I think spin offs should still explain these things just as well as their original shows.

"Just as well" would be excessive. For example, I found the contant explanations of just who that Uchiha Sasuke character no one's ever heard of in Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden irritating, and if I recall correctly the reviewers in the preview article and/or the Stream said as much as well when it first aired.

But as I said, I think the show explains just fine that the Class Cards are human creations which summon mythical heroes. And if you're familiar at all with the franchise you're watching a spinoff to, I think there's all the less reason to assume that the world created from molten magma and gas did so at the behest of a magical sword wielded by a primordial god or something, and that Gilgamesh is now using that weapon.

leatherhead333 wrote:
Fate Illya doesn't really explain how much magic can be applied to it's world. We've seen Rin use spell to maginify the power of an attack and use it to make herself lighter. How does that work and what exactly are the limitations of it? Can people use it to fly? Really none of that is talked about.

Although I'm sure Nasu knows this, it's really not necessary to understand that Rin stores magic in her gems and can do more powerful stuff the more gems/stored energy she uses. I'd be interested in hearing an example of a magical girl show that does go into that amount of detail you're thinking of.
kotelo_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Something contextually important to toss out is that in the source manga, spoiler[the fight gets concluded BUT as soon as our heroines are breathing a sigh of release the two shadowy figures appear and warp the cast unto what will become the setting of Drei.
The final manga scene is Irisviel shocked to her core as the fate of her daughters is beyond her power.
By giving a "moment of respite" takes away the original impact on the end of the 2wei chapter.
]

[EDIT: Never spoiler tag an entire post. You must provide some context about why it's tagged. - Key]

I'd say that the best part of 2wei was the goddamn cliffhanger at the end, but SILVER LINK once again went original anime stuff and added SoL crap. Man, Fate is doomed to unfaithful adaptations...

And about what you guys are discussing, yes, both Prisma Illya and Fate/Zero are spinoffs of Fate/stay night, so both works assume you already know some stuff and you can compare characters. For example, something very different in Prisma Illya is that Bazett is WAY too OP. It's ridiculous, I don't want to think about the Burial Agency if Bazett is that strong.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Suncraft wrote:
While reading your review, seeing you slap, "More than half of the series is inane drivel, still plays around too much with loli undertones." next to a big red (-) sign, and next to your grades+staff makes it easy to assume you marked it down because of it. To a reader, it seems like this is your, and thus ANN's, judgement upon the whole matter. Easy to see why some kind of opposition would form, doesn't it? I am well aware that one reviewer does not make the whole of ANN's stance on something, but others will not have that knowledge. In this review I assumed you had marked it down because of the above problems, I hope you see why.

This is simply an occupational hazard for us. We wouldn't be doing our tasks as reviewers if we weren't passing judgment. Being too neutral in a review also comes across as too passive, and that is something that's frowned upon.

Quote:
But in some cases it's well deserved things blow up in your(ANN's) faces when you throw a burning stick over the fence and expect nothing to happen.

I'll grant you that, if you also grant me that at least some of those "blow ups" (and I'm definitely not saying or implying all of them) are from people getting in an uproar because they can't tolerate someone saying something negative about a show/genre that they like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Regardless it all comes down to visual representation to me. When a character suddenly has a powerup like this it merely feels cheap if they don't suffer some kind of consequence for it. Rock Lee/Guy from Naruto using the Eight Gates is a good example of power that brings bodily harm to it's usage. The powerup might have originally came out of no where but when you see the price they both paid for using it there is a fair trade off there.

Sadly it all boils down to the idea that girls (in general) should be pristine, having Illya after the fight profusely sweating, breathing heavy and suffering from muscle cramps (like if she had ended a weight lifting session) is a no no in the minds of the average japanese viewer (otaku or otherwise), otherwise Wanna Be the Strongest in the World would have sold a lot more discs (1082 average).
Rensie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:23 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Being too neutral in a review also comes across as too passive, and that is something that's frowned upon.

Peronally i prefer a more passive and inpartial approach from a writer, and let the user express its own feelings and opinions in the comment section.
But well is me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6