• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does Funimation License Shows They Won't Dub?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
New answer for the original question "Because Funimation is overextending itself in an attempt to compete with Crunchyroll". No doubt as Justin says, there must be some bundling, but I don't think every series Funi does not dub was part of a bundled deal. Why bundle a cheap series where there are other companies (Crunchy, Sentai, Viz) that might pay more? That is the "beauty" of bidding, anyone that has bought something in an ebay bid knows that with just two parties going for the same article can make the price skyrocket.

IMO Funi is like frog from the The Frog and the Ox fable, the logic being that even if they do not make any worthwhile revenue from a series, it is one series that will not be in their opponent repertoire.

Of course this epiphany is due to learning that Crunchy is one of the top 10 streaming services in the USA, list from where Funi is absent even though they mostly cater to the same audience.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Banken wrote:
I assume there aren't any anime fans out there for who a lack of a dub is a dealbreaker, right?

A lot of the time when buying anime on DVD/bluray I like to have both English subtitles and dub available - following subtitles requires more concentration and sometimes you want to be able to enjoy anime without constant reading.

Sure, it's better to have both, but I don't see why it would be a dealbreaker for someone who buys DVDs in this day and age.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

Sure, it's better to have both, but I don't see why it would be a dealbreaker for someone who buys DVDs in this day and age.

Is it really that hard to grasp and understand that many people simply prefer anime in their own native language?
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
{Your trolling is duly noted -- cut it out. ~nobahn}
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

The cost of buying anime while its never been cheaper is an expensive hobby. About $40 on average for a 12 episode series and there a dozens of series released every month for sale. When you get to Aniplex or Ponycan prices it even makes itself ever more prevalent. Take any of the sub only Ponycan releases about $215 for a 12 episode series sub only, that's a huge amount of money and if someone doesn't enjoy subs or prefers dubs that price point can absolutely be a deal breaker for them.

When things cost money theres always justification for what is and isn't worth it when it comes to buying entertainment which is what Anime is.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

I prefer dubs.
There have been many shows that I like well enough that I have bought them without a dub.
There are some shows that I like but do not like well enough to watch them without a dub. For those shows the lack of a dub would be a deal breaker.

I do not think that the day and age has anything to do with it. This decision has been the same for as long as we have had anime on home video.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:25 am Reply with quote
In that case, why are you buying shows you only like a little bit?
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:38 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
In that case, why are you buying shows you only like a little bit?

I like them enough to buy them, which would be more than just a little bit, but I do not like them enough to watch them without a dub. Therefore the lack of a dub is a deal breaker and I do not buy them.

I have to like a show a lot before I can enjoy it without a dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
No one is to reply to Banken any further -- that discussion is now closed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6