• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Store: Hikari & Angewomon GEM Figure Cancelled in West; Not 'Child-Friendl

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
ARGH!!! I regret not buying this figure now... (T.T)
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I can sort of see why they made the move, assuming they think the child-marketed brand of Digimon is much stronger than the adult market (which I assume has mostly moved on from the series), and they probably don't want the latter to adversely affect the former.
I would say the opposite true. Most of Digimon's current fanbase are older fans who grew up with the original show and most Diigmon fans have remained loyal to the franchise over the years. The new series, Tri, is clearly targeting that nostalgic older fan crowd who grew up watching the original on Fox Kids. The character designs for Mimi and Sora in Tri are far more fanservicey than this Angewomon figure is. One of my friends who is a big Digimon fan who used to work at Toys R Us said the new toys for Digimon Fusion have barely sold at all from the store she worked at so I don't know that Digimon is grabbing many young kids these days. Maybe I'd believe Toei more that they solely want a kid friendly audience if they weren't always constantly designing fanservicey Digimon every season. And even among the classic episodes, Angewomon was like the least fanservicey out of all the Digimon. In any case, I'm not sure why Angewomon's design is that much worse than some of the artwork you see of angels in classic art.

Quote:
hat said, even though the Angewomon figure is eye-rollingly suggestive, the US comics industry has been appealing to both child and adult demographics for some years now, with animated cartoon series for the kids, as well as premium collectibles for adults. It's not unprecedented to have properties that can be adjusted to appeal across generations, though I'm guessing the Digimon licensors don't want to try and bridge that gap.
Some of the DC merch for kids still has Wonder Woman wearing her classic bikini outfit even though she's long since ditched it for pants in modern comics for older readers.
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
Damn that is a nice figure, this sucks big time.

Kid's aren't into Digimon anymore in the west, the fanbase is made mostly of adults now, and as Cyber Sleuth's successful US release has shown, these adult fans love high quality Digimon stuff.

They didn't bother censoring that game and it had way worse shit(fanservice wise) than this figure.

Last edited by Fatt_One on Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:48 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tajima

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
Doubt children were buying this in the first place. But the perverts who were interested can just import it, so it's a complete non-issue.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
As my mother would say, "Not everything is for kids."

ESPECIALLY with a $100 price tag...
Rensie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote
Us making a fuss over futile things and fictional characters spreading words like woman rights and oversexualization never cease to amaze me, the bad thing is that will affect europe too. Ignorance and bigotry spread everywhere. This is laughtable. Rolling Eyes

Hopefully the fans of the serie can buy this figure from J Amazon or other stores. Evil or Very Mad

A bit expensive:
http://www.play-asia.com/gem-series-digimon-adventure-angewomon-yagami-hikari/13/7093pt

Last edited by Rensie on Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote
^You could easily get a 1/4 scale or an RAH for less than that, so definitely a no, at least for me. Most, though not all, of GSC's high end line, Wonderful Hobby Selection, is less than that too. Damn.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Parent groups. The same ones that exist in Japan and file BPO complaints that get PriPara censored or express concern about pig-ladies erotically eating bananas or late night anime having masturbation jokes.
Are you seriously implying kids are going to put down their Minecraft long enough to show interest in otaku-aimed figures of a 15-year old show they, and by extension their parents, don't even know exists?

It's not parents' groups who are responsible for the recent trend of censorship in video games, for example.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
Parent groups. The same ones that exist in Japan and file BPO complaints that get PriPara censored or express concern about pig-ladies erotically eating bananas or late night anime having masturbation jokes.
Are you seriously implying kids are going to put down their Minecraft long enough to show interest in otaku-aimed figures of a 15-year old show they, and by extension their parents, don't even know exists?

Octopodpie didn't imply that kids were actually interested. And I think you are seriously under-estimating Parents. My parents were well aware of all the cool "satanic toys", like Star Wars figures, well before my siblings and I were. They took "protecting" us very seriously. And I know a lot of other parents who are the same way.

Quote:
It's not parents' groups who are responsible for the recent trend of censorship in video games, for example.

Maybe not directly, in certain recent cases, but the threat of pressure from Parent's groups(and authorities in general) is largely what causes any of the self-censorship that we see. Most of these companies know that their fans hate censorship with a burning passion, they aren't doing it for them.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I am so confused. So it's ok to market Digimon to adults in Japan, but not anywhere else? WTF is that about? I know Japanese culture has its differences from Western culture, but even Japan has child ethics. If it was the right holder's goal to market Digimon to kids then why ok that design in the first place? And I'm not even talking about he figure design, I'm talking about Angewoman's design in general. Whoever designed her and whoever ok'd her final design obviously didn't have children in mind. Whoever is in charge of Digimon is not very good at their job. Personally, I don't have a problem with its design. Most children wont understand what they are looking at, teens already know so there's no point in hiding it, and the adults that buy it obviously don't care about the design either.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
I am so confused. So it's ok to market Digimon to adults in Japan, but not anywhere else? WTF is that about? I know Japanese culture has its differences from Western culture, but even Japan has child ethics. If it was the right holder's goal to market Digimon to kids then why ok that design in the first place? And I'm not even talking about he figure design, I'm talking about Angewoman's design in general. Whoever designed her and whoever ok'd her final design obviously didn't have children in mind. Whoever is in charge of Digimon is not very good at their job. Personally, I don't have a problem with its design. Most children wont understand what they are looking at, teens already know so there's no point in hiding it, and the adults that buy it obviously don't care about the design either.

Is really a difference in culture. Digimon is a shounen show so Angewomon is perfectly OK for their target audience. But in the west is target to children audience and are localized and censored by Saban to be suitable for children's.

I think that must have been some pressure from US company to Japan to remove this figurine because it can hurt the show image as children friendly show.
Pietato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Murica.

Guns = encouraged.
Skin = Satan.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Chrysostomus wrote:
octopodpie wrote:

Octopodpie didn't imply that kids were actually interested. And I think you are seriously under-estimating Parents. My parents were well aware of all the cool "satanic toys", like Star Wars figures, well before my siblings and I were. They took "protecting" us very seriously. And I know a lot of other parents who are the same way.

Quote:

Maybe not directly, in certain recent cases, but the threat of pressure from Parent's groups(and authorities in general) is largely what causes any of the self-censorship that we see. Most of these companies know that their fans hate censorship with a burning passion, they aren't doing it for them.

Like my above examples, parents groups stick their noses into things that aren't targeted towards kids all the time. Like Mr. Osomatsu's masturbation joke.

You can blame video game boogeymen on politicians. They're the entire reason the ESRB even exists and they like to bring that strawman out whenever a mass murderer can be linked to playing too much Call of Duty.

I know Chrysostomus wants an excuse for their obvious woman hatred. They prop their opinion on how their version of feminists are destroying video games/film/localization of anything whenever this topic comes up. Maybe you're not old enough to remember Western censorship in the 90s when inoffensive stuff was hacked out of Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball. It was in fear of parent complaints then, and the things that were removed were just as ridiculous as $100 Digimon figure being called out now.

That said, you go right on believing women with opinions on YouTube and Twitter and (sometimes) talking U.S. politicians are definitely somehow convincing Japanese businessmen to cater to them and possibly lose thousands of dollars in sales. I'm sure they've got a stranglehold on Bandai and Toei for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Do kids even know that figures exist? Let alone allowed to spend $100 on one?

Last time I checked, kids like to play with things. You can't buy a flashy figure and expect a kid to just admire it.

This ruling makes absolutely no sense. In fact, from my point of view, it seems like the only thing that is coming out of this decision is disappointed consumers.
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I hate Saban so much
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7