• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Unveils Its Hybrid Home/Handheld Game System 'Switch' for March Debut

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
If more Japanese developers will invested on Switch then I'm all in.

I'm more like a niche game fan. Titles like Idolm@ster, Akiba's Trip, Danganronpa, Kenka Banchou, Senran Kagura etc somehow like targeting Sony's PS3/PS4/Vita for some reason.
I dont want to play only Nintendo's ip righted games.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Again with regards to 3rd party support, from the console side of things that's up in the air. But it's a no brainer that all the 3rd party support that was always traditionally portable will have to move here by default. Sony certainly doesn't seem to want to do portables anymore. Nintendo will have a monopoly by that alone, though of course Sony is encouraging portable third parties to do a dual release on portable and console, so Japanese 3rd parties may hedge their bets by releasing a game on both Switch/PS4.

Woomy wrote:
And just how long is the battery life on the handheld portion of the thing is gonna be? Like, the Gamepad on the WiiU has already one of the worst battery lives like, ever. I also remember the earlier DS having underwhelming battery lives. Can't blame me for doubting it especially since this is supposed to run an entire console.

I expect it'll be the same as every other device out there capable of running 3D games. 3 hours maximum settings. That's an industry problem, not a Nintendo problem.

Quote:
Also, I'm salty about how this practically confirms how Nintendo was sticking the middle finger to everyone who did support the WiiU. They were full of crap saying these were meant to coexist. It was always an attempt to silently kill the WiiU off.

WiiU was a failure yes. But it still had a 5 year lifecycle considered traditional. And the digital marketplace will still bring games for it that will also be on the Switch. At least that's what Nintendo has indicated.

Quote:
One last thing, I swear there will be hell to pay if Nintendo pulls the same crap like they did with the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess with Breath of the Wild. I better not struggle with minimal production of the WiiU version just because Nintendo is trying to push sales of the Switch one.

Given the Switch isn't that much more powerful, I suspect differences will be minimal.

SniperRuleZ wrote:
This also means for the first time, Pokemon main game will be a home console quality.

You might be expecting a lot here. The Pokemon Company doesn't push hardware graphically, even for handhelds. I'm sure it'll look better, but we should not expect anything radically different from the formula now. This is because the control scheme is also largely made for young children and thus they are not going to do anything like an actual 3D console game. They'll keep the isometric style intact and modestly improve the visuals. Cheaper and quicker to do for maximum profit.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
For those that were hoping to play Wii, WiiU, or 3DS titles on the Nintendo Switch, bad news: Nintendo has confirmed that the NS will have no physical backwards compatibility.

This seems obvious given there is no disc-drive. And Nintendo will need a whole new cart to contain games weighing at 50GBs. A possibility for digital games would've made sense, but given Nintendo's poor online system, hopefully something they will fix now, and their penchant for reselling you the same game as a port, I suspect that any older games will likely only be playable if you purchase them again with things Nintendo may add, such as we suspect they are doing for Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon. I expect many WiiU titles will be ported to Switch.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
The Switch sales figures is going to tell us definitively if a "game console" still has a place on the market or if we the consumer have to spend money on a computer to network to Steam or some other games download site.

I assume that the Switch's true predecessor was a gaming tablet by Nvidia (The people who developed the Switch for Nintendo) called the Shield, So I assume that used Steam the thing ran on Android anyway. So Switch is basically a supped up Shield with Nintendo's backing and control scheme. But point being that if Switch is a console so is Shield is as well.

Also I keep hearing about how PC versions of games can suck compared to gaming console versions like with Batman Arkham Knight for example.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
I'm usually first to rain on Nintendo's parade but this looks pretty good. Although judging from every Nintendo console ever, the battery life is going to be rubbish. I have to charge my DS every few hours, while I don't have to charge my Vita for atleast a week.

I don't know what kind of battery you have much less how long you play on average but the Vita's battery at least for the 1 Gen version lasts about 4-5 hours on a full charge.

[quote="Puniyo"I wonder if they're going to drop 3DS support if Switch takes off, though? Maybe not because the control styles are so vastly different, but maybe because, why have two portable consoles?[/quote]

.....because the Switch is not a dedicated handheld it's a console, and Nintendo would be literally taking a huge risk dropping the 3DS to focus exclusively on the Switch.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Puniyo wrote:
I'm usually first to rain on Nintendo's parade but this looks pretty good. Although judging from every Nintendo console ever, the battery life is going to be rubbish. I have to charge my DS every few hours, while I don't have to charge my Vita for atleast a week.

I don't know what kind of battery you have much less how long you play on average but the Vita's battery at least for the 1 Gen version lasts about 4-5 hours on a full charge.

[quote="Puniyo"I wonder if they're going to drop 3DS support if Switch takes off, though? Maybe not because the control styles are so vastly different, but maybe because, why have two portable consoles?

.....because the Switch is not a dedicated handheld it's a console, and Nintendo would be literally taking a huge risk dropping the 3DS to focus exclusively on the Switch.[/quote]

I have the slim version Vita and I practically abuse it with the amount of hours I play at a time. Not to mention it actually holds battery power really well in sleep mode, while the (original) 3DS doesn't.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
.....because the Switch is not a dedicated handheld it's a console, and Nintendo would be literally taking a huge risk dropping the 3DS to focus exclusively on the Switch.
They'll probably do the same thing they did when the DS came out: swear up and down it's not a replacement until it's established and then drop the older brand.
megazero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
Nice Hybrid Home/Handheld concept to satisfy both console and portable gaming market.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:21 am Reply with quote
^ There's always the chance that it will be a disappointment both as a console (if it's less powerful than the PS4 or XBox One) and as a handheld (since it's nowhere near as compact as the DS/3DS... the Switch looks to be the biggest "handheld" in terms of size since the original Atari Lynx) and end up pleasing neither camp.

EDIT: Or at least the largest handheld if we're talking about the base model and not plus-sized variants like the 2DS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6