• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: UQ Holder! Magister Negi Magi! 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NapoleonDeCheese

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the light novel trend which was to make this series more or less a glorified ad promo to the source materials

The big problem here is this strategy fits Light Novels a lot better than it does to manga. Light Novels tend to have release dates that can line up better with short cours of anime released sporadically, but ongoing manga sort of need also ongoing animated adaptations to keep up with them and maintain the interest alive past the initial promo push (a promo push that this anime apparently won't be giving to its manga. The ratings figures are abysmal, from what I've seen elsewhere).

Akamatsu's strategy is way too endogamic. Instead of trying to branch out with his merchandise, he keeps on preaching to the already converted. Doing things like charging more to the hardcore fanbase willing to pay outrageous extra sums just so their tankoubon can come with animated adaptations of chapters they already read, while adamantly denying anyone else those adaptations, is just a myopic short term greed move that damages the series' popularity in the long run. You aren't reaching to new readers with a subpar adaptation that leaves most people disappointed and cold and a bunch of other material only aimed to those already with you; you're left to the mercy of a previous fanbase, a large part of which already is drifting away because of your previous bad decisions (like all the other bad adaptations and the end of Negima, mainly).

This seems very obvious to me and I really can't understand why he keeps ramming against the same brick wall time and time again.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I hope this effort to advertise the manga with this....effort...doesn't hurt the manga.
I've seen mangas up and disappear in cancellation due to lack of sales from anime promotion.

I guess we'll find out, Akamatsu setup for the manga to end if thing went that way or continue on.
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
"You're better off just reading the manga."

That's like the tagline for all the Negima anime...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6