• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Launches Kickstarter Campaign to Dub Emma: A Victorian Romance, Release Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I think a problem with the mentioning of "British actor/actress" is that many people might have the default view of thinking a British actor/actress that lives in the U.K. There are plenty of British expats here that can do the job.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:28 am Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I just backed it, but realizing they won't use UK actors, meaning they'll be attempting accents, and that there is no HD version in Japan, meaning upscale, just had me do a double take in wondering if I really want to back this.

How do you know we won't use UK actors?

This will be an upscale. But so was Aria - seasons 1-3.

Pretty please with a cherry on top? If you get UK actors, it'll be that much easier to convince everyone who loves Downton Abbey to watch it!
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:50 am Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
chrisc1978 wrote:
Yes I gave $1, was I suppose to do something after the campaign ended.

Is it possible this all went to spam, from our system and from kickstarter's system? We gave numerous updates and opportunity, so I would like to know if there's something we missed.

I would also like to know why I'm not getting emails from Rightstuf. I check spam often so its not on my end.

Edit: I got an email today from Rightstuf asking me since I back Aria to back Emma. Hmm, I am getting emails, I looked last email I got From Rightstuf about backing Aria was last November it was thanking me for being a backer and offered me a 5% off coupon.

Last edited by chrisc1978 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:03 am Reply with quote
When I made those tweets, I should said "help fund this project".
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
While the kickstarter will indeed be funded, I'm less sure about the season 2 goal. Will there be a separate campaign for that if it doesn't reach its goal.
professorwho

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Mr Kleckner, since you're reading these comments, can you guys at Nozomi improve your video compression?

For instance, the Utena TV series looks amazing, but there's 4 episodes on a BD-50, which is a waste of space. I'm not saying to lower the bitrates and such, but you could've easily fit 2 more episodes on and not run into any issues. In fact, the disc count would lower and you'd spend less money. Plus, the disc art wasn't that good, so it didn't make up for it.

The Utena movie is poorly encoded, and takes up only about 25GB of space on a 50GB disc. Why? That's using only half of the given space! (Plus, the Ikuhara commentary track was lossless when it didn't need to be- eating up bitrate) The film is visually more demanding than the TV series, so there is no reason it should have a lower bitrate (26 mbps) than the TV series (32 mbps).

Aria is what makes me ask you here- I don't own it, but I've seen a scan of the disc and the file sizes, and they're way too low. You guys put 5 episodes on a BD-25 and the bitrates are too low. 12 mbps is horribly low. Plus, the dub is in 5.1? It's an upmix from the original stereo, right? So, why not just keep it as a stereo track and take that extra bitrate (4608 kbps) and add that to the video?

Your Gundam releases are among the best on the market, but I think if you outsourced your work to MediaOCD (Justin Sevakis) and/or Fidelity in Motion (David Mackenzie), you could get superior work and would most likely end up printing less discs due to superior compression.

You guys aren't bad at all, you're nowhere near as bad as those plebs at FUNimation, but I think with some better compressionists (or possibly outsourcing to one of the groups listed above), you can be even better. I'm saying this because I want to see Nozomi grow bigger and be able to achieve bigger and better things.

Thanks.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
ElectroJane wrote:
I’d love to back this like I did Aria, but after the recent experience I had with them through their website, I’m not really comfortable giving rightstuf my money anymore. I mean, their customer service response was pretty much, “We can verify this situation wasn’t your fault, but we already charged you a fee and there’s nothing we can do about that.” Not cool.

If you want to send me the details by PM I'd like to see what is documented here.
ElectroJane

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:43 am Reply with quote
PM sent. I hope we can resolve this.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:05 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
I was all in until I saw they were using Headline in NY. I love Emma, but I’m really not interested in hearing it with fake English accents. Hopefully, Nozomi will make some cast announcements before the Kickstarter ends, like they did with Aria.

well if their using the same aria cast for emma, then you might change your mind. but yea!!!

i mean nozumi released this series in 2008!!! it would have been a perfect chance for them to get most if not all of the cast for hellsing ultimate since some of them do have proper UK accents and it would have been a choice that every dub fan would back!!!

Quote:
The company noted on its Kickstarter page that if the project is successful it will likely continue with other titles from its anime catalog.

what does that mean!? your saying that if its successful , does it mean that right stuff/nozumi will be giving other english dub for its other licensed series via kickstarter!? and if so, which ones might be given one!?

for me personally i hope its at least some of the more popular gundam titles of the 90's like turn A gundam , victory gundam and gundam zeta and current ones like reconguista in G, or at least LISTEN to the fanbase and give some of the other current G titles like build fighters & build fighters try & AGE proper dubs instead of plastering them with the atrocious crappy ass animax asia versions!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
atyamamoto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
I enjoyed Emma quite a bit, but I'm going to wait on concrete cast announcements before I commit to a proper tier. As has been mentioned, the series lives and dies by its sense of realism and nuance, so I think having a dub that uses faux-English accents would undermine that for me.

Great news in the most recent update on the Emma Kickstarter -- British actress Rhiannon Ross has joined the Headline Studio dub production team as an advisor! She is an accomplished actress and has trained at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and Drama Centre London.

Plus the Kickstarter is now fully funded and has entered stretch goal territory! YEAH!!!

[url]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/160939828/lets-dub-emma-a-victorian-romance-anime-tv-series/posts/2305817
[/url]
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:55 am Reply with quote
I'm happy that "Emma:A Victorian Romance" is finally getting the English dub it rightfully deserves. I wholeheartedly applaud this and I look forward to watching this soon. I've often heard this was a good show,but I didn't want to watch it without an English dub. It's long overdue and I hope to see this when it comes out.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:

Ha, to be fair, way back when Shawne was on ANNcast to promote the Aria ks, he did mention a potential future project that would require a specialized dub, which led a few people to suspect Emma. The fact he recently left some cryptic comments on twitter and the show suddenly appearing on Crunchyroll just felt like natural foreshadowing to an inevitable announcement Smile

I see! So you just put all the pieces together. It was nice that you did. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6