• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vic Mignogna Replaced in Morose Mononokean English Dub Cast (Update)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
I’m not sure why ANN hasn’t talked about it yet, but Todd Haberkorn has been accused of a singular, but far more serious, instance of sexual assault:
/

They stated in the forum of the main article that it may be the subject of separate reporting that would take time to investigate and that discussions were to stay on the topic of Vic.
NickPenrhyn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:05 pm Reply with quote
S0crates wrote:
Vanadise wrote:
Obviously ANN wields a huge amount of influence, and them reporting on it was enough to make the industry finally do something about Vic. Did you not know you had so much influence? If you had known, would you have done something earlier? Now that you know, what has to happen in order for you to take seriously other allegations of misconduct?

If this is true, and provable, then Vic can sue them for damages and defamation.

To bring up a similar case known to me. In 2007 a Mr. Donal Kinsella sleepwalked naked into the bedroom of a female colleague. This occurred during a company assignment in Africa. Kenmare put out a press release that could be counted as defamation of character. Their release implied, without giving details of the sleepwalking issue, that Mr. Kinsella was guilty of making inappropriate and uninvited sexual advances onto his colleague. The jury awarded Mr. Kinsella 10 million euros (12.5 million dollars), for slander.

I've warned ANN about this, and if they continue these types of stories it'll be at their own peril. They may think it's profitable for shock clicks in the short run perhaps, but I'm afraid they'll misstep eventually, and some of these articles would not hold the standards I find ethical acceptable for covering accusations of criminal behavior and is thus an annoyance at best.

For it to be defamation, I'm pretty sure it has to be proven to be objectively false. This article is literally just reporting on the fact that he's been replaced in Morose Monokean, the other article replaced in RWBY, and in the Far From Perfect article "All the stories included in this article were corroborated by multiple sources with the exception of the Persona 3 fan." Unless you point out an objectively false statement you've got no case.

Secondly, Vic has had a horrible reputation for a very long time already. Cons and co-workers had already disavowed him years ago, allegations existed far longer than that article has, and dubbing companies know his reputation. They decided it didn't matter. This makes proving that the article was injurious much less convincing.

Just because a story has a negative effect on your reputation doesn't make it defamation. Stop placing the burden of his bad behavior on other people. The decision to remove him from their casts may not even be as a result of what's printed here but things that folks he works with have known about that aren't public.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
I’m not sure why ANN hasn’t talked about it yet, but Todd Haberkorn has been accused of a singular, but far more serious, instance of sexual assault:
/

They stated in the forum of the main article that it may be the subject of separate reporting that would take time to investigate and that discussions were to stay on the topic of Vic.

Bingo. Tempest already said any further articles on other VA's would come out in due time if they were being worked on. They took weeks of work and investigation before doing the initial article on Vic. This allegation IS more serious so I would expect the news staff to take at least as much, if not more, time investigating it before reporting on it. When/if that news article appears then everyone can discuss that matter, and probably rehash many of the same arguments we're already seeing now in regards to Vic.

I want to reiterate what Mad Scientist already said:

- Victim blame
- Try to downplay sexually or physically inappropriate conduct by implying that since it's not violent rape it doesn't matter, or by referring to victims of it as "victims" in air quotes, or through any similar method really. Something bad does not become good because there are worse things\
- Flood this thread with your off topic conspiracy or complaints about Twitter
- Personally attack people
- Ignore moderator warnings to stop any of the above or other rule breaking conduct

I had to remove some more posts who ignored this. I want to also make it clear that stopping such behavior in one thread and simply going into a different one to make the same posts is not ok. Several users are about to wind up on moderation for continuing to post the same things in every thread on Vic while ignoring our warnings.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
/

Bingo. Tempest already said any further articles on other VA's would come out in due time if they were being worked on. They took weeks of work and investigation before doing the initial article on Vic. This allegation IS more serious so I would expect the news staff to take at least as much, if not more, time investigating it before reporting on it. When/if that news article appears then everyone can discuss that matter, and probably rehash many of the same arguments we're already seeing now in regards to Vic.

I want to reiterate what Mad Scientist already said:

- Victim blame
- Try to downplay sexually or physically inappropriate conduct by implying that since it's not violent rape it doesn't matter, or by referring to victims of it as "victims" in air quotes, or through any similar method really. Something bad does not become good because there are worse things\
- Flood this thread with your off topic conspiracy or complaints about Twitter
- Personally attack people
- Ignore moderator warnings to stop any of the above or other rule breaking conduct

I had to remove some more posts who ignored this. I want to also make it clear that stopping such behavior in one thread and simply going into a different one to make the same posts is not ok. Several users are about to wind up on moderation for continuing to post the same things in every thread on Vic while ignoring our warnings.

My mistake. I was unaware you had already looked into it, and meant no ill will towards anyone.
AsmariaHendrick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:46 pm Reply with quote
MOD EDIT Yes, this is off topic, and it goes into the very conspiracy theories that both myself and another mod specifically warned not to go into. But I'm tried of deleting posts like this (and the replies to them) over and over again and I'm concerned other users might get confused seeing this point constantly come up again and again, so I'm letting just this one post stay so I can finally address this nonsense and hopefully put it to bed. See my forthcoming reply further in this thread.

Vanadise wrote:
But what I really want to know is, why did ANN decide to report on this now? ANN has existed since before any of this started going on, and surely you've had people on staff who have heard about it. Obviously ANN wields a huge amount of influence, and them reporting on it was enough to make the industry finally do something about Vic. Did you not know you had so much influence? If you had known, would you have done something earlier? Now that you know, what has to happen in order for you to take seriously other allegations of misconduct?

This is coming up in the original article that ANN posted, and I think it comes down to money and motivations for reporting and clicks.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3091940&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=315

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/02/06/anime-news-network-editor-at-large-mike-toole-calls-youtube-channels-clownfish-tv-and-lost-pause-nazis-over-vic-mignogna-videos/

Might get removed for off topic, but the owner of ANN actually seems to have his own interests in fair reporting on the matter. I don't like Vic at all, but the way this is handled is kind of... untrustworthy? Like the actual matter at hand (victims of sexual harrassment and assault) is getting lost in politics, when the victims need to be listened to and not lost in the money-grab that the companies that are only now speaking up have been making over it.

I am starting to get more upset with the companies - conventions, news outlets, not so sure about fellow voice actors since the entire voice acting inter-community seems to be toxic to those who want to keep their jobs - but those in power had the chance to speak up before now. They really should have sooner, and I hope that there are future powers that be that can learn from this.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

My mistake. I was unaware you had already looked into it, and meant no ill will towards anyone.

No harm no foul. My apologies if the first paragraph of my post came off as harsher than intended.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:57 pm Reply with quote
AsmariaHendrick wrote:
Vanadise wrote:
But what I really want to know is, why did ANN decide to report on this now? ANN has existed since before any of this started going on, and surely you've had people on staff who have heard about it. Obviously ANN wields a huge amount of influence, and them reporting on it was enough to make the industry finally do something about Vic. Did you not know you had so much influence? If you had known, would you have done something earlier? Now that you know, what has to happen in order for you to take seriously other allegations of misconduct?

This is coming up in the original article that ANN posted, and I think it comes down to money and motivations for reporting and clicks.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3091940&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=315

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/02/06/anime-news-network-editor-at-large-mike-toole-calls-youtube-channels-clownfish-tv-and-lost-pause-nazis-over-vic-mignogna-videos/

Might get removed for off topic, but the owner of ANN actually seems to have his own interests in fair reporting on the matter. I don't like Vic at all, but the way this is handled is kind of... untrustworthy? Like the actual matter at hand (victims of sexual harrassment and assault) is getting lost in politics, when the victims need to be listened to and not lost in the money-grab that the companies that are only now speaking up have been making over it.

I am starting to get more upset with the companies - conventions, news outlets, not so sure about fellow voice actors since the entire voice acting inter-community seems to be toxic to those who want to keep their jobs - but those in power had the chance to speak up before now. They really should have sooner, and I hope that there are future powers that be that can learn from this.

The fact that somebody had a grudge against Justin Sevakis has nothing to do with the fact that Vic has a pattern of behavior over the course of years looooong predating trhe spreadsheet.

There are a lot of reasons you didn't hear them speak up. When it comes to VAs, he was somebody with power and they had jobs to keep. The aggrieved individuals thought they wouldn't be believed, thought it would be his word against theirs. Unfortunately, it takes multiple accusers to get people to pay attention. I think their bravery is to be commended.

Consider, again, that none of his peers have spoken out in his defense, but for one who faces an accusation of his own. And no con-runners have come to his defense or affirmatively said "yes, he will be here," but for the guy who runs Anime Matsuri, who has been accused by a number of people himself.
NickPenrhyn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
AsmariaHendrick wrote:
Vanadise wrote:

If the big gotcha here is that he referred to people who use the term Shonen Jump Weekly unironically as nazis for shorthand, it's a pretty weak outrage. Besides, I doubt there's any overlap between audiences here. Kind of a huge non-controversy.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
This report of Vic's firing makes me sad because there was also a lot of hard work involved in the dubbing process for the second season of Morose Mononokean.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Everyone spouting off about libel here could probably do to look up the "actual malice" standard that is required of public figures (which Vic is considered, at least in a limited sense within the North American anime community and thus, associated publications) to prove libel in the United States.

From the Wikipedia article on the U.S. Supreme Court case New York Times Co. v. Sullivan (1964) which set this guideline (emphasis mine):

Quote:
The actual malice standard requires that a plaintiff alleging defamation who is a public official or public figure prove that the publisher of the statement in question knew that the statement was false or acted in reckless disregard of its truth or falsity. Because of the extremely high burden of proof on the plaintiff, and the difficulty of proving the defendant's knowledge and intentions, such claims by public figures rarely prevail.

The later case Hustler v. Falwell (dramatized in the movie The People v. Larry Flynt) also established that for a public figure to prove libel the intention needs to be to cause emotional distress or harm to one's body/career/reputation, which would also be hard to prove of articles that are merely reporting that allegations exist. Whatever you guys might be reading into these articles, it would be really really hard to prove in a court of law beyond a reasonable doubt that they were written intentionally to make Vic feel bad or ruin his career... as opposed to because these kinds of allegations against a public figure are newsworthy and fans might be interested in learning about it.

If the standard y'all are seemingly using here in the forums of "uh it just like, seems like it might be wrong? like I'm not sure? and it's kinda mean too?" were the standard used to prove libel, think about how different our media landscape would look. The entire industry of celebrity gossip rags wouldn't exist, for starters. For all you guys seem to claim to care about "innocent until proven guilty" or "the burden of proof" you don't seem to understand how this works at all in a real-world legal situation, and especially how that applies in the case of libel. In that case, Vic would be the plaintiff, not the defendant, and the burden to prove that a) the statements are recklessly false and b) were made with the intent of harming him are on him, not ANN or any other sites reporting this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ranran-001

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:53 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Everyone spouting off about libel here could probably do to look up the "actual malice" standard that is required of public figures (which Vic is considered, at least in a limited sense within the North American anime community and thus, associated publications) to prove libel in the United States.

From the Wikipedia article on the U.S. Supreme Court case New York Times Co. v. Sullivan (1964) which set this guideline (emphasis mine):

Quote:
The actual malice standard requires that a plaintiff alleging defamation who is a public official or public figure prove that the publisher of the statement in question knew that the statement was false or acted in reckless disregard of its truth or falsity. Because of the extremely high burden of proof on the plaintiff, and the difficulty of proving the defendant's knowledge and intentions, such claims by public figures rarely prevail.

The later case Hustler v. Falwell (dramatized in the movie The People v. Larry Flynt) also established that for a public figure to prove libel the intention needs to be to cause emotional distress or harm to one's body/career/reputation, which would also be hard to prove of articles that are merely reporting that allegations exist. Whatever you guys might be reading into these articles, it would be really really hard to prove in a court of law beyond a reasonable doubt that they were written intentionally to make Vic feel bad or ruin his career... as opposed to because these kinds of allegations against a public figure are newsworthy and fans might be interested in learning about it.

If the standard y'all are seemingly using here in the forums of "uh it just like, seems like it might be wrong? like I'm not sure? and it's kinda mean too?" were the standard used to prove libel, think about how different our media landscape would look. The entire industry of celebrity gossip rags wouldn't exist, for starters. For all you guys seem to claim to care about "innocent until proven guilty" or "the burden of proof" you don't seem to understand how this works at all in a real-world legal situation, and especially how that applies in the case of libel. In that case, Vic would be the plaintiff, not the defendant, and the burden to prove that a) the statements are recklessly false and b) were made with the intent of harming him are on him, not ANN or any other sites reporting this.

In a way Vic has become a public figure. It's within the interest of the anime convention attending public to know of Vic's behavior. The burden of proof is way harder for Vic because of that. But I'm not saying I am sympathetic to his plight, I believe most of the allegations involving harassment, and I think Vic at any time could have issued a sincere apology over his behavior, but he has not done that at all. From what I've seen, he has for the last two to three years been asking his fans to be an army of trolls to attack anyone that might have had a bad experience with him.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote
AsmariaHendrick wrote:
Vanadise wrote:

Like I said in my edit to your post, I'm letting this stay just because I'm tired of seeing this come up, and the more posts like this that show up and then stay for a while before a mod gets to them (and generate replies and get quoted), the more likely it is some users might get genuinely confused. So let's put this to bed.

For starters, Mike Toole isn't the owner of ANN. He's one of several editors. He had nothing to do with this article. He made a single tweet commenting on two Youtube channels which both at least appeared to be of the "evil feminists are destroying anime, anime gate now!" variety, using language that some might find too harsh or hyperbolic, but which I find ironic given how often I've seen the term feminazi thrown around. Then a bunch of people started pestering him on Twitter, got really upset when he blocked them, and now this has led people to apparently dig up nearly decades old tweets referencing Vic to prove how apparently this is all a grand conspiracy by Mike to censor YouTube.

That's it. That's the conspiracy. A guy who works for ANN but didn't write the Vic articles made a tweet some folks disliked.

And you know the absurd thing? The actual CEO of ANN has already said why this article is happening now. See here for the full post, but I'll quote the especially relevant parts.

Tempest wrote:
The catalyst for this was Dylan Keilman. We've been talking about this publicly on Twitter for 2 weeks.

We know about a lot of other terrible people in the industry. We've known about them for years. The whisper network has kept some of our staff from going beyond locked doors with the wrong people. But that whisper network doesn't reach the fans, the 14-year-olds that idolize people in the industry.

For reference, Dylan was an anime fan and panelist who also had occasionally done freelance work in the industry including for ANN, who had some extremely, extremely serious accusations come out against him. That's all I'll say about that because the specifics are veering off topic and aren't really necessary. What's important is that it led to a lot of reflection from a whole bunch of people, including ANN staff, to reflect about whether their failing to notice certain things had enabled Dylan, and also about the amount of predators in the industry that were kind of open secrets, and whether continuing to be silent about them was also enabling them.

This isn't some big secret, ANN staff weren't having these conversations behind closed doors. They were having them publicly, on Twitter, for all to see.

And yet, we keep on seeing these conspiracy theories show up. Oh, this is Mike Toole's attempt to censor YouTubers, look at this one tweet he made. Oh, this is all a grudge of Jake and Zac's, look at their Twitter. It's weird, isn't it, how people can somehow monitor Mike Toole's twitter so closely they instantly know the moment he criticizes two anime YouTubers, but somehow miss the literal weeks worth of tweets from him and pretty much every single ANN staff member explaining the actual reason for these articles and talking about it in depth well before anything was even published.

Actually it's not weird, because this is not a good faith argument. The people originating these Twitter conspiracies know very well they are nonsense. Their goal is disinformation.

So now that I've said this, let me make this clear again. Like I've had to warn multiple posters here, this is the ANN forums, not the "discuss Mike Toole's twitter" forums. The actual reasons for these articles have been made clear again and again by multiple staff members, ironically enough often on Twitter. Further off topic conspiracy twitter posts will be deleted.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Monica Rial has more to say, and a request that people stop harassing her on Twitter: https://twitter.com/rialisms/status/1093275331929296897?s=21
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I’m surprised that ANYONE is defending him. His behavior is and always will be unacceptable.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:13 am Reply with quote
AsmariaHendrick wrote:

Please stop pretending that nobody spoke up about Vic Mignogna until now, or that this backlash against him is some sort of new thing. I get that the alt-right crowd are desperate to paint the situation as such because they desperately need a fictional Shonen Jump Weekly conspiracy that will earn them clicks from their monetized youtube rants, but painting this situation as something new is patently false.

Controversies and dramasplosions caused by Vic's behavior have dogged him for over fifteen years. Anyone who has actually been in the anime fandom for a long time, remembers that the first organized backlash against him and demands for him to be held responsible for his behavior happened back in 2007, when he was cast as Viral in the ADV dub for Gurren Lagann. These backlashes have repeated every time when he scored a role that was so glaringly out of his range that there was no reason he would be cast in it without pulling clout with Funimation executives, such as with his casting in Escaflowne.

The only difference between this time and the previous ones is that people refused to be hushed down this time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7