• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:07 am Reply with quote
That's another aspect of this show that hasn't been successful for me: I genuinely don't care if these two ever get together. They are perfectly nice people but to a certain degree their platonic relationship has almost been TOO successful. I feel they are both in a good place even with the way things are right now. Amane already had friends but now he's got a friend who makes sure he eats properly and doesn't live in filth. Mahiru finally has a real, supportive friend who she can be herself with so loneliness is no longer an issue. I feel like they could continue on this way and be perfectly happy.

Contrast that with Ice Guy who CLEARLY adores Cool Gal and deeply appreciates every little scrap of interaction they get. He'd be over the moon if their relationship progressed. It would really matter to him. I actually don't care for Jun from Tomo-chan. I love Tomo-chan and think she can do better, but it is also clear from the show that being with Jun is important to her, so I can root for it even if think he's kind of dill-hole.

But these two? They haven't convinced me that getting together would be much different from what they have now except for the smoochies and num-nums. We ain't nothin' of course...

Quote:
...to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if Mahiru went to the local zoo and asked if she could borrow a trank gun and some manacles.

If there is a second season, I DEMAND you be hired as one of the writers! Wink
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:39 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible is still my fave out of all of the season's romcoms, even at half-length. While all these are Wish fulfillment shows for boys, Kubo and Shiraishi are the ones that fit best. Those two meet each others needs most and would benefit most from moving from friends to kissy-face. It doesn't have the strongest supporting cast- mainly consisting of family members (the only ones that can see Shiraishi regularly).

Amane and Mahiru are too perfect. Mahiru's issue is generically cruel, yet she's Ai Yori Aoshi Aoi levels of perfect- which is annoying. Amane's issue is a non-issue (oh, some people are mean and shallow).

Tomo and Jun also have a non-problem that everyone makes too much over. Friends realize mutual love all the time and all it takes is...time. It's a nice show, but there's no tension.

Ice Guy and Cool Girl were basically in love at first sight and just have to get over their blushing long enough to realize it. Less than no tension, just cute.

...but again, no one is cuter than Kubo and Shiraishi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:13 pm Reply with quote
For me, Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible commits the same sins as Angel and Ice Guy: ringing the same bell too many times without providing some other focus. And I just had a SEARING INSIGHT that, I think, sort of explains why so many rom-coms or romance shows fall into this same rut. It's because they are generally based on manga. Manga chapters (when not collected together in a volume, of course) come out in small bites and (generally) over a longer period of time. So repetition without much development or other things to focus on isn't as much of an issue. But when you bundle that material into 23-minute episode chunks that come out every week, the repetition and lack of secondary focus is a bigger deal.

For my next trick, I shall explain the root causes of world hunger.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:05 am Reply with quote
Minnow - (thought about calling you Spas for short but wasn't sure that would go over well)

I'll have to give Kubo another shot. I dropped it and High Card after the first 3 episodes, but it's not like I hated them or anything. More of a "Too much on my plate, try again during the interim between seasons" kind of thing.

So basically, if we were picking our favorite romance anime, you'd choose Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible, Blood would choose Tomo-Chan Is a Girl, and I'd choose Monogatori: Malevolent Spirits <g>.

Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:13 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And I just had a SEARING INSIGHT

Geez, be careful with those things! It's just an anime forum. No need to hurt yourself.

Blood- wrote:
I think, sort of explains why so many rom-coms or romance shows fall into this same rut. It's because they are generally based on manga. Manga chapters (when not collected together in a volume, of course) come out in small bites and (generally) over a longer period of time. So repetition without much development or other things to focus on isn't as much of an issue. But when you bundle that material into 23-minute episode chunks that come out every week, the repetition and lack of secondary focus is a bigger deal.

Makes sense. If my fondest wish comes true and somebody ever makes a Calvin and Hobbes anime, I'm sure there would be challenges involved.

Last edited by Edjwald on Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:00 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Quote:
If my fondest wish comes true and somebody ever makes a Calvin and Hobbes anime, I'm sure there would be challenges involved.

The biggest challenge would be getting Watterson to license the show. To my knowledge he has not permitted anything except compilation books.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The biggest challenge would be getting Watterson to license the show. To my knowledge he has not permitted anything except compilation books.

For which I am both grateful and disappointed.

(Letting out a Charlie Brown Christmas Special style sigh)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd settle for a Hobbes plush myself.

I've never seen any of the Peanuts cartoons. Excerpts, yes but never a full show. I would like to see a cartoon series based on the early Bloom County, or better yet on Pogo.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I think Calvin's long suffering girl neighbour was named Suzy? I remember in one strip after he'd been his usual obnoxious self to her, she opined that she couldn't wait until he was 17 and coming around to beg her for a date. Naturally, he scoffed at this thought, "Date? Eww, gross!" I remember chuckling to myself and musing on how doomed Calvin's future self was.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I'd settle for a Hobbes plush myself.

I've never seen any of the Peanuts cartoons. Excerpts, yes but never a full show. I would like to see a cartoon series based on the early Bloom County, or better yet on Pogo.

Those specials might be why I made it through episodes 1-9 of this series without any impatience. My family watched them every year. when I was a wee lad. In between mostly low key dialogue, there are lots of slow scenes of Charlie Brown walking through snow, leisurely taking his coat off and making hot chocolate or sitting down to write letters while amazing, slightly melancholy piano music from Vince Guaraldi plays in the background,

And Blood, yah, the girl's name in Calvin and Hobbes is Susie. Good stuff.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:21 am Reply with quote
When I was a "wee lad" there was no prime time animation and no Saturday morning cartoons. Most of what I saw was run in the space between the afternoon soap operas and the evening news. Mostly recycled movie shorts from previous decades. I can still remember conga lines of animated animals (with belly buttons Shocked) singing "Aint We Got Fun". These were much more primitive than the Disney or Werner Bro's cartoons.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:52 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I can still remember conga lines of animated animals (with belly buttons Shocked) singing "Aint We Got Fun".

So that's where hentai came from...

(evolution is a mysterious thing)
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Season finale

So that happened.

I just posted over in Chillin in my 30's that the anime started out behind and then finished strong. This anime is pretty much the opposite for me. I still have some fondness for the show, but there's no getting around that show lost a lot of ground with me the last few weeks.

I won't go on about the things I haven't liked...I already talked about them last week. But I went in today wanting nothing more than for the anime to pull out of the nosedive and finish strong. And it started to, and then #$%^ spoiler[ ended mid-embrace with no development or end scene to touch base with any of the other characters who have been rooting for them. ] Which, for me, was a bit disappointing.

So, yeah, i don't hate the show, but if I ever watch it again, it'll be a few years from now on some night when I'm having trouble getting to sleep.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:30 pm Reply with quote
A lot of anime out there have plenty of wish-fulfillment, but this one was laying it on particularly thick. It literally just felt like watching someone's fantasy about getting their perfect waifu. "What if I was so cool that I gracefully shielded the girl from some boiling sauce during home economics class". Also an odd fixation with some anime romcom tropes like headpats and lap pillows.

Despite everything I said I still liked it enough to give it a Decent rating for some reason though I might drop it to so-so at some point.

Last edited by Cam0 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna be totally honest with youse guys: I went into the episode assuming I'd be rating this show So-So. But you know what? I liked the finale enough that I'm gonna bump that up to a Decent rating. You're welcome, show. The fact I was thinking about giving it a So-so rating might be a little misleading in that it makes it seem I am more down on it than I actually am.. I do like this show. Unlike some other titles that I watched to the bitter end even though they really weren't grabbing me, watching this one never felt like a chore. Yes, I got frustrated by the absolute lack of narrative ambition, but there was obviously something that kept me coming back. I wish they had kept the mutual chippiness between the two leads going for longer... I mean, the real, initial chippiness, not the saccharine "chippiness" of later episodes where it was, "you're awesome" and "no, shut up, YOU'RE awesomer!"

Edjwald, I really assumed you were gonna rate this Excellent after Amane announced he was making coffee, so maybe I don't know you as well as I thought I did??? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7