• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why do a lot of Gundam fans hate SEED Destiny?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, I still like it just as much as I did when I first posted on the thread and I'm two more discs farther into it. I haven't been able to locate a copy of 12 that wasn't fragged yet so thus haven't been able to finish it. Crying or Very sad

So I'm with you at least unless the last 3 or 4 episodes are series ruining lameness. Smile

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our Gundam Seed fanboy dead.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the same boat as Kruszer

But I can say this Destiny is on the low end of the Gundam quality spectrum and I understand and accept why many dislike it

if I were to rank Gundam series I've seen destiny would come in just above Wing (3rd to last) but below G
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
This topic has been done over and over again with much hate being thrown at SEED Destiny. Each has their own reasons for disliking it my own being that:

1. First of all this series tries to do too much. Too many characters to count in this series. This is in part due to poor choices for which direction the series took.
2. This series had no clear cut main protagonist for the entire series. At first we believe its Shinn, Athrun takes a more prominent lead soon after, then came the return of Kira. The constant shifting of focus between Shinn and Kira in the later part of the series where we weren't sure if Shinn was the Protagonist or the Antagonist was both confusing to the viewer and simply killed any potential of a good character Shinn displayed early on.
3. The stock footage/recap episodes. Its bad enough to have recap episodes, but to have them back to back in the middle of the series killed any mood the series had. Not to mention with all the stock footage kept in the series, 2/3s of the series felt like a recap. It may look prettier than SEED but its sad when some of the stock footage looks like it was taken from SEED but altered with the current mobile suits.
4. My biggest disappointment in this series is that it takes too much material from past series. This being the first sequel series to a non-U.C timeline Gundam the series took many parallels to the well renowned Zeta Gundam. To me the most prominent parallel being the Kamille/Four plot line with the Shinn/Stella plot line. Whats most annoying about that is that spoiler[Stella dies in the exact same fashion as Four, killed in their oversized Gundam by the protagonist's rival (Jerid is to Kamille as Kira is to Shinn) to die in the arms of their lover and to add to that..........in the snow].

When I began watching this series I had high expectations and for the early part of the series it lived up to it but right around episode 22 it all went downhill.

In terms of Gundam Series I've watched this is ranked the lowest, yes even lower than Wing because at least then I didn't have to drudge on through the last half of the series to finish it.

Now in terms of a good modern Gundam I place my hopes in Gundam 00 which started off slow to me but has since picked up to become an enjoyable series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
My lowest ranking Gundam would be the kidified Superior Defender Gundam which I couldn't stand to watch. I'm also not a big fan of 0080: War in the Pocket but otherwise they haven't really made a Gundam I didn't like. I'm am finding it extremely hard to motivate myself to watch more ZZ Gundam too though it's not from lack of interest.

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I'm am finding it extremely hard to motivate myself to watch more ZZ Gundam though.

What episode are you on? Because right when it hits episode 22 the series takes a 180 degree turn and is done really well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6....I think, I'd have to check. I have the whole thing somewhere it just constantly slips my mind to watch it. Probabally because it's just such a daunting task to sit down and watch something with 40 something episodes. After that I've got V Gundam and Turn A Gundam to watch and I'll be caught up.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 huh? From what I remember they're still dealing with Yazan I think, that or they're dealing with that idiot of a commander trying to escape the colony. Well you have a long ways to go before anything good happens. In my mind though the 2nd half of the series is worth watching. Keep with it.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
1. Get past MoonMoon and you're good

2. Superior defender is defiantly the WORST gundam
zaphdash

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Gundam ZZ is pretty hard to sit through, and I don't even think it's particularly good after its supposed midseason turnaround. Just out of boredom I thought about watching it again recently; I've seen every single Gundam series, including even Destiny, at least twice, but to this day I've still only gotten through Gundam ZZ once, many years ago. Really can't work up any motivation to do it again. Hell, I recently finished watching Gundam Wing again just on a whim -- show is more tolerable than I remembered, incidentally, although it's still overflowing with problems. But I can't even force myself to try to watch ZZ again. Which I guess is fine, there's no reason to watch it if I really don't want to, but I just think it's funny that, as bad as Gundam can get at times, Gundam ZZ is the one show that I've never been able to sit through a second time. On the other hand I can just watch Turn A over and over and never get tired of it.

I have found my opinion of Gundam shows usually improves on second viewing, though. I rewatched SEED a few months ago and it really changed my mind about that show. If you can skip/ignore the frequent recaps, it's actually a fairly strong show, much better than I once gave it credit for. I can't say I had a similar change of heart about Destiny the second time I saw it (although that is how much more I liked SEED the second time, that it actually made me go back and watch Destiny again afterward), but I was a little more entertained than I expected to be. Even Wing, like I just said, was not as horrible as I had remembered, although I really can't watch that show without wondering how the Gundams can possibly be so amazing if anyone can seemingly throw one together in the garage if they're given a few weeks (see Quatre and Wing Zero or Treize and Epyon -- one built by a kid, the other by a soldier, neither with any known engineering background, and Treize was ostensibly under house arrest at the time, but somehow they put together the two most advanced mobile suits in the history of the world). So maybe if I ever do watch Gundam ZZ again, I'll come out of it with a higher opinion.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
@zaphdash
did you ever watch Superior Defender again?

@IchigoK90
and something I'd like to mention in the Camille/Four-Shinn/Stella thing I think people point to the wrong relationship when they draw that comparison I saw it as being more like the Camille/Rosamy relationship (Shinn saw Stella as a replacement for his little sister) than anything else

I admit that really isn't any better but I just wanted to get it off my chest
zaphdash

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
I never watched SD Gundam Force in the first place. Some of the old SD Gundam shorts from the 80s can be amusing from time to time I guess, but in general I'm not a huge fan. Though they bear the Gundam name and the old ones share the same characters and mecha designs (albeit, SD), they're parodies, comedies, they really have nothing in common with Gundam content-wise, so I think of them as outside the mainstream Gundam franchise and I don't really bother with them. The normal UC and AU TV shows, OVAs, movies, manga spinoffs, etc are all fair game, but I don't see any particular reason to bother watching the SD shows. I don't say this to sound like an elitist or anything, but SD Gundam Force is not real "Gundam." That's not a knock on the show itself, which I would refrain from judging until I actually watched it (which I have no intention of doing), but I just don't think it or the old SD Gundam stuff should be considered when discussing the mainstream franchise.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
@IchigoK90
and something I'd like to mention in the Camille/Four-Shinn/Stella thing I think people point to the wrong relationship when they draw that comparison I saw it as being more like the Camille/Rosamy relationship (Shinn saw Stella as a replacement for his little sister) than anything else

I admit that really isn't any better but I just wanted to get it off my chest

I can see how you see it as a Kamille/Rosamy relationship. The only difference is, is that Kamille never had any siblings and he only took her in as her younger sister because she believed him to be her older brother. So in other words its the other way around. My main point for pointing out the whole Shinn/Stella connection was that both characters fit into the exact same situation that Kamille and Four did (though Stella's personality was more akin to Rosamy of late Zeta Gundam, not her early personality). It was the exact same manner of death that just really pushed my buttons.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Well, I still like it just as much as I did when I first posted on the thread and I'm two more discs farther into it. I haven't been able to locate a copy of 12 that wasn't fragged yet so thus haven't been able to finish it. Crying or Very sad

So I'm with you at least unless the last 3 or 4 episodes are series ruining lameness. Smile

The last few episodes are actually not that bad compared to the 15+ preceding it. If you still like it after episode 30-35ish, you probably won't have any problems (perhaps aside from yet more recap episodes). Most people thought it the series went down the crapper around the Destroy Gundam incident or spoiler[right after Kira "died"] at the latest and many thought it went to crap very early in the series.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

The last few episodes are actually not that bad compared to the 15+ preceding it. If you still like it after episode 30-35ish, you probably won't have any problems (perhaps aside from yet more recap episodes). Most people thought it the series went down the crapper around the Destroy Gundam incident or spoiler[right after Kira "died"] at the latest and many thought it went to crap very early in the series.

I thought it started to go down the crapper when spoiler[that guy in faith was killed by Stella. He was around for like what? 1-3 episodes].
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Admittedly, I've only watched about 5 episodes of Gundam Seed Destiny. I've seen all of Seed. Gundam Seed I thought was pretty good with just a handful of overly predictable plot points.

Destiny seemed kind of like they didn't know what they were doing with the plot. Even as early as what I was watching it seemed like a silly unneeded string of battles. Throughout a lot of better Gundam material, there is usually some kind of reason for the fighting. Some major interconnecting plot involving characters, politics, and various plot devices. Destiny seemed to lack much of this coherency. Maybe it gets better later? I don't know. As much as I like the Gundam universe, Destiny just seemed boring to me. Aside from being shallow in the plot department, I guess it wasn't all bad. Some of the battles were cool to watch.

Personally, I really enjoy Gundam Wing, Seed, and 08th MS Team. Most of what I've watched outside of that range (which isn't much) just seems silly to me (namely, G-Gundam and Seed Destiny).
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9