• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Un-Go (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Wow. My respect for what this show is trying to achieve has gone up several notches. It seems that indeed Bettenou spoiler[has been around from the very start] and that Koyama Izumi spoiler[has been in league with Bettenou and Kaishou all along].

I like the way I was "Bettenou'd" in episode 5. I couldn't reconcile how Izumi could be in two places at once and created a solution to account for the anomaly - pretty much how Call's Himself a Novelist describes in this latest episode what Bettenou does to people. I suspect if I were to re-watch the early episodes I would find other anomalies. It follows then that nothing prior to the prison episodes can be taken at face value. This was never a murder of the week series. We have been beautifully led up the garden path.

Still can't warm to the characters, though - Kazamori excepted. And she's an AI!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
riza13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I've been following this series since it aired here in ANN. And I got to say... With every episode it is harder to comprehend what actually is happening (or maybe it's just me xD) Now at episode 10, naturally I'm still confused, the weirdness of the earlier episodes seems to be justified by the explanations revealed (and yet to be revealed.)

Maybe if I try to rewatch this again after the series ends, I can appreciate it's weird fast pace and lack of character warming up to the audience.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I posted this on another forum but I'll copy paste it here with minor changes:

Well, the ending was somewhat fulfilling but somewhat disappointing as well.

I manged to figure out the possible culprit prior to the finale and his/her motive but the lack of big character development for him/her undermines the finale. It wasn't too hard with spoiler[the signs appearing next to the characters when introduced and deducting who appeared so many times yet made no significant progress in the show. That and the novelist arc's ending foreshadowed a few things.] Nonetheless, I enjoyed the episode. I'm still more interested in the characters of Shinjuurou and the main cast. Maybe, the movie opened up revelations about his character.

Heh, I do hope for a second season considering the spoiler[butterfly] at the end brings up more possibilities for the show -- spoiler[It seems to resemble/hint another anomaly like Inga or Bettenou]. The characters were very enjoyable for the most part but their lack of development makes them a bit bland. This show has a lot of potential honestly, but it didn't really go too far with it and remained linear for the most part. The mysteries were quite easy but the deductions made it the most enjoyable part of the show.

Overall, I found the show fun to watch but it's nothing super spectacular or even a must-watch. It's a show that you can enjoy when given free time. The music was really good, particularly the ED which is one of my favorites this season. Un-Go may not be the best show but it may be a favorite for many others this season.

Also, Rie's obvious crush on Shinjuurou made the show cute albeit it's minor influences. Jeeze, even I'm shipping characters now. Laughing

Rating: Very Good*

*I'm very lenient when it comes to rating shows.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
This was a show I badly wanted to be better than it ended up proving to be. It is such a rare beast in anime: adult characters, intelligent and often surprising script, and with its heart in the right place. Yet... it somehow seemed colourless. The characters weren't particularly engaging; there was too little time between set up, exposition and resolution of the mysteries; the villain wasn't a central enough character to draw an emotional response; the political stakes weren't explicated sufficiently to create any sense of dread or climax; and two most interesting characters - Kazamori and Inga - weren't exploited enough by the script.

I also loved the music - especially the Spanish theme used in the big revelations - and I appreciated Rie's crush on Shinjurou: it was about the only time any of the characters stepped beyond the plot requirements and behaved like a human being thus highlighting what the series lacked.

For its adult cast and its intelligence and for Kazamori I'd rate it somewhere between decent and good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Volibear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Heh, I do hope for a second season considering the spoiler[butterfly] at the end brings up more possibilities for the show -- spoiler[It seems to resemble/hint another anomaly like Inga or Bettenou]. [/i]

i'd really like a second season too, but given how the series is based off a novel written by Ango Sakaguchi (1906-1955) i suspect that it'd take more time than usual to write such a sequel, given that they'd have to write up an original sequel or try and adapt another novel. Personal preference would be an adaptation of another novel, but only if its a novel similar to Meiji Kaika Ango Torimono-chō, in that its written by an novelist/intellect/philosopher and not by a "normal" writer, because i feel that the more intellectual and (somewhat) philosophical approach to the writing was what really made the series and not having that kind of style would devalue a sequel, kinda like if the sequel to GitS:SAC lacked the intellect and philosophical aspects that made the original series, whereas if it had those apects like GitS:SAC 2nd Gig it could be a really great series

as for the finale, quite enjoyable on the whole, i don't really have any complaints about it, would rate it as a kind of "second-tier finale", its not up there with CG:R2 and GitS:SAC but it is better than most finales

Rating the series i'd probably say its just below becoming a really good series, maybe one or two less of the early episodes and more plot would have been nice but at least the early episodes wheren't that bad, unlike say Blood-C. also slightly more character development, not too much but just a little more than was actually in the series
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I stopped caring about it at one point and the last episode has not changed much. It was well done and well executed and a bit different, but all in all, the characters were average and remained underdeveloped, I did not get into the series enough to try to understand their motivation really. Maybe it's my fault for not trying hard enough, at any rate, I expected a lot more from this title. I gave it a decent rating, and that mainly because I enjoyed the first few episodes and Kazamori was a nice touch.
supercreep

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed it but I am hesitant to judge it completely until I see episode 0. I could easily recommend it to others even if some aspects are underdeveloped; I feel that it does a lot right.

Also, while I enjoyed Kazamori, I wasn't really as fond of him/her as others seem to be. I was much more interested in Inga, who I felt was a more complex character.
Dhaos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Watched it up to episode 3, and my question is: when does this anime get good? Does it stay the same, or does it get much better?
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
@Dhaos
If you don't like what you've already seen of it, then you probably won't like the rest of what you would see if you were to continue. However, if you still want to see where it might get better (I can't say if it will be a lot better or if it may actually reach being good to you), then I'd advise watching the two-episode arc that spans from episode 7 to 8. People liked it because it was a different change of pace, from a detective mystery to a movie set. (Then again, you should probably watch episode 6 for context. So three-episode arc?)

If you like that arc, you could also finish the rest of the show. The two episode arc acts as the foundation for the most important and final arc of the show, which comes right after. Those last three episodes uses all of its main characters established in the series in more involved positions than the other episodes before, and it piles up mystery after mystery. It does feature some plot points and characters specific to previous mysteries, but as long as you already saw episode 2 then one of the hints will actually be a clue rather than random. Of course, it's not like the show is actually dedicated to solving mysteries...

(By the way, you'll probably wonder who the girl is that accompanies the two main characters in the later episodes. She is spoiler[the last of the AI's, who you saw at the very end of the third episode as part of the house. The body is shown in the fourth episode, and the AI takes it over at the end of the episode.])
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
That's odd advice DH, you sort of need to watch ep.6 for an intro to 7 and if you go back to p.4 you'll find that I, for one, DESPISED episode 7 as a needlessly confusing mind-bender with no point of reference to figure out WTF it means.

In short, reactions will vary. But there are shifts in story and tone, you may not have realized it from episode 3, but episode 4 actually continues that mystery and introduces you to a key character and marks a slight departure from the "mystery of the week", and while eps. 7 and 8 are confusing, they do set up the last arc that was pretty good and mostly made up for many of the frustrations of the show.

There is also an ep. 0 prequel that was shown in Japan theaters and not shown on Crunchyroll, but will be included in Sentai's release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Dhaos wrote:
Watched it up to episode 3, and my question is: when does this anime get good? Does it stay the same, or does it get much better?

You already saw the three best episodes really Smile
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really enjoy the movie set portion, but that may have been due to having a migraine when I watched the first episode of it. Laughing
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:44 am Reply with quote
Okay, so I've watched the first two episodes, and while I am definitely intrigued, the pacing is indeed way too rushed. I wish some of these single-episode stories got stretched into two or three episodes. I feel like with only 12 episodes to the series, I'm not going to develop a real connection to any of these characters (or with the show itself, for that matter) if it's just rush job procedural 'crime of the week' stuff. Certainly is an interesting premise, even if it isn't an entirely unfamiliar one, but I hope there's at least ONE mystery that spans multiple episodes so it has time to flesh itself out and land with proper impact.

I just have one question: will the guilty party ALWAYS get away with their crime and never be punished for it? Am I missing something here? Why does the blame get placed on someone else when they know who committed the crime?

Also, while I enjoy Inga, I find her 'special power' to be a bit silly. Its origins haven't yet been explained (though I hope they eventually are; should I have watched episode zero first to answer this question?), and I find it a little inorganic that she wastes her one question asking anything but, 'DID YOU DO IT?' Regardless of whether or not she's seeking to find true remorse and/or sound reasoning behind the criminals' motives, they're still guilty of murder.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:

I just have one question: will the guilty party ALWAYS get away with their crime and never be punished for it? Am I missing something here? Why does the blame get placed on someone else when they know who committed the crime?

Yes and no. They will never be officially publicly punished because the government thinks the consequences of that would be too devastating but they all pay a price for their crimes.

Sohma_Curse wrote:

Also, while I enjoy Inga, I find her 'special power' to be a bit silly. Its origins haven't yet been explained (though I hope they eventually are; should I have watched episode zero first to answer this question?), and I find it a little inorganic that she wastes her one question asking anything but, 'DID YOU DO IT?' Regardless of whether or not she's seeking to find true remorse and/or sound reasoning behind the criminals' motives, they're still guilty of murder.

Inga's origins are only explained in episode zero and despite the fact that it aired after the TV series I really think a new person should watch it first. It clarifies a lot of things that are left hanging and unexplained in the TV series. As to her power ... she is not a detective and is not interested in whether you did it or not. She is interested in your soul. What is at the core of who you are and your actions. "Did you do it?" will not satisfy her hunger, "Who is Nobuzane Kanou to you?" does.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
Inga's origins are only explained in episode zero and despite the fact that it aired after the TV series I really think a new person should watch it first. It clarifies a lot of things that are left hanging and unexplained in the TV series. As to her power ... she is not a detective and is not interested in whether you did it or not. She is interested in your soul. What is at the core of who you are and your actions. "Did you do it?" will not satisfy her hunger, "Who is Nobuzane Kanou to you?" does.

Gah, I was debating watching it first, but after what happened with Haruhi and how utterly confused I was upon watching that 'episode zero,' I decided against it. I will make sure it's the next episode I watch though!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6