• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Savage Tweeting with Erin and Noah

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
agila61 wrote:
yeah the whore makeup this time around didn't help the case.. she was pretty enough..maybe i am being a little sexist but she is suppose be a strong female character. Who the hell needs make-up??

To me, if they are having an entire "having trouble adjusting to the new demands" storyline, the obviously overdone makeup in her pirate captain role doesn't seem out of sync at all. Laying the makeup on too thick is a mistake teenage girls often make when trying to act more adult.

Perhaps that's true however she falls into more into the tomboy type character that doesn't need that. Maybe I lurked on to many threads on that but sometimes being ocd over little details is a pain lol

Not saying nothing against obsessing on little details: Its detail that the direction brings to our attention, after all. I was just saying I think you are misreading that detail. Sure she doesn't need that much makeup: otherwise it wouldn't be obviously "too much makeup". To me it fits right into the story flow.

Perhaps if you edit your classification from its current tag to "young woman getting overenthusiatic with makeup", as per Surrender Artist, it would not jar so much. Overenthusiasm would seem a natural foible for Marika.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
agila61 wrote:
yeah the whore makeup this time around didn't help the case.. she was pretty enough..maybe i am being a little sexist but she is suppose be a strong female character. Who the hell needs make-up??

To me, if they are having an entire "having trouble adjusting to the new demands" storyline, the obviously overdone makeup in her pirate captain role doesn't seem out of sync at all. Laying the makeup on too thick is a mistake teenage girls often make when trying to act more adult.

Perhaps that's true however she falls into more into the tomboy type character that doesn't need that. Maybe I lurked on to many threads on that but sometimes being ocd over little details is a pain lol

I never interpreted Marika as a tomboy, or even thought of her on the girly girly to tomboy spectrum. I'd in fact be inclined to put her on the girly girl side of the center of that line.

Regardless, I think that the makeup made sense in context as a hint that she's both becoming more enthusiastic, perhaps excessively so, about her 'part' in being a pirate by playing the novelty of a cute girl pirate captain up, but also as a sign that she might be uncomfortable with her role with the heavy makeup as a sort form of overcompensation.

Hmm perhaps but i have seen her that way myself. She presents herself as a strong female character, in no doubt a leader. I just didn't think she needed it but hell it makes her more down to earth character for female viewers to relate to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
Chihayafuru is my favorite series of the season.

Manga versus Anime: I prefer anime, but I like the way it includes so many aspects (the art, the music, the acting, and so forth). You just can't get that from manga.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Regardless, I think that the makeup made sense in context as a hint that she's both becoming more enthusiastic, perhaps excessively so, about her 'part' in being a pirate by playing the novelty of a cute girl pirate captain up, but also as a sign that she might be uncomfortable with her role with the heavy makeup as a sort form of overcompensation.

I just watched that episode... I think in the first battle she was upset that spoiler[the piracy victims didn't take her seriously], and in the second she's wearing it to look more "grown up" and/or serious. A lot of Japanese high schools (if Bakuman volume 8 is to be believed) don't allow make-up, so wearing a lot of make-up might make the character feel more grown up. She's put it on excessively because she's not used to wearing it. I understand because I wear make-up for pretty much the same reason...

ajr wrote:
Fractale is more disappointing than bad. I seem to recall being impressed with the episode with the photographer, especially when I figured out that spoiler[he was the main character's father] and it was questionable which of them, if either, realized. Or maybe that's just me, I watched it awhile back and it was an weird little thing.

Did they clarify that in the show? I thought they never said one way or another if that was the case. Nevertheless, I thought that episode was touching, because when Clain meets the old man he says that he's met lots of people who share his interests online but none in real life. I found that touching, because I've met so many people who share my interests online, but I've met a lot of them in real life by traveling to conventions. Not everyone is so fortunate to be able to travel...
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I don't really understand adversarial discussions of Japanese versus Western animation;...

...The problem is that it's boring and nobody learns much.

That's assuming people care that much about learning. Winning seems to be most peoples' drug of choice. And in lieu of winning, just claiming victory will do.

Don't gotta be faster than bear just faster than other guy/girl bear is chasing.

Smile

Surrender Artist wrote:
...and possibly our precious bodily fluids!

Is there a Dr Strangelove anime that I don't know about?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

I just watched that episode... I think in the first battle she was upset that spoiler[the piracy victims didn't take her seriously], and in the second she's wearing it to look more "grown up" and/or serious. A lot of Japanese high schools (if Bakuman volume 8 is to be believed) don't allow make-up, so wearing a lot of make-up might make the character feel more grown up. She's put it on excessively because she's not used to wearing it. I understand because I wear make-up for pretty much the same reason...

Hey, that's why I tried to wear makeup too... when I was six and still unclear about certain gender roles.

I like your explanation better; I don't quite think that I was barking up the wrong tree, but I was definitely a little muddled.

Regardless, the relevant point is that there was a point within the context of the story for Marika's overzealous use of cosmetics, rather than it being something done for the appeasement of the audience, which wouldn't've worked for me anyway since she looked nicer without that stuff and I've never liked heavy makeup, especially what she did to her cheeks.

Cheesecracker wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

Have you ever seen End of Evangelion?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
--The only thing we ask is that you rename her to "Cool Ranch" Asuka.

Where the hell are the Eva Scholars?! Clearly, Rei would be Cool Ranch and Asuka would be Flamin' Hot(Cheetos) or the new Tapatio flavor.

Quote:
--We're relocating NERV to the Hidden Valley.

I guess I missed that one, but that IS good! Smile Hats off!
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Cheesecracker wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

Have you ever seen End of Evangelion?

Yikes! Wasn't expecting:

A: A response so soon
or
B: A response

...but yeah I got them DVDs...and I get your point (EEyeew).

Maybe shinji should be Cool Ranch? (Sorry)
Nayu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, the makeup in BSP was stage makeup for her role as the YARR PIRATE KEPTIN.

Yes, it was damn heavy, but that was so that the audience could tell she was all made up for them.

Like the silly pirate uniform and hat. She really needs a parrot.
ben_the_bear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I felt like sharing these trailers was important enough to warrant making a forum account. The movies Noah and Erin were talking about were from Ghana, and are awesome beyond belief. Here are some trailer links:

http://youtu.be/vWaN8b-FwDI

http://youtu.be/BFqYiKDwt0I

http://youtu.be/iXYmFqEkCGQ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Like the silly pirate uniform and hat. She really needs a parrot.

Or a robot parrot, like in Dr. Who episode 99, "The Pirate Planet," written by none other than Douglas Adams. Attention newschool Dr. Who fans: Watch that episode!

ben_the_bear wrote:
I felt like sharing these trailers was important enough to warrant making a forum account. The movies Noah and Erin were talking about were from Ghana, and are awesome beyond belief. Here are some trailer links:

Hooray! Thanks! I lost my links!
Innagadadavida

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I listened a while ago but wanted to give my two cents about dubbed openings. Zac made the sweeping generalization that they are all bad, which I would like to point him to the Yu Yu Hakusho openings and closings. Any of which I believe are as good or superior to the originals. But those are all I really all I can point to that aren't sung by Vic Magana..

I will say that the reason they may seem so cheesy, as talked about by the hosts, is that these songs are inherently very cheesy. But having them in another language is an exotic barrier that either gives us something else to focus on, or makes us feel cultured enough to the point of not noticing the corny lyrics and bubble-gum beats.

I like some of the openings FUNimation does for their shonen shows. The TV version/3rd Version of Dragon Soul is fantastic (I like Vic Magana), so is the first One Piece opening (also Vic, though). And I mean seriously. Compare the third Yu Yu Hakusho closing in English to Japanese. It's great in English!

Japanese Ending 3
English Ending 3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I am one of those rare fans who likes (and avidly collects) both anime and manga. Of course, as Erin and Noah noted, I've always been an avid reader in general, so it's not a huge stretch aside from the fact that I had no interest in comics whatsoever until I started reading manga.

Admittedly I started with series connected with anime series I had already seen or was in the middle of watching (the first I ever read was Magic Knight Rayearth; I wanted FMA, but the first few issues were checked out from the library whereas all of MKR was right there). Nowadays, while there are a fair few titles on my shelves that overlap with my anime collection, there are a fair few that don't and a few that are so radically different from the anime as to pretty much be their own story. Of course, that's not counting the handful of series I've read courtesy of my public library's shockingly good manga selection.

In some cases, I like having manga around because they're a portable form of some of my favorite shows, one that I can enjoy over and over again. For all of them, though, it's simply the appeal of a good story and interesting artwork that keeps bringing me back to my collection, as well as continuing to expand it. Plus, unlike most mainstream American comics, their continuity is generally self-contained; you don't need to read a handful of other series for a single story to make sense and it'll likely never get retconned. Of course, I say that last statement despite the fact that I have volumes and/or omnibuses for 9 different CLAMP series on my shelves, so take that as you will.
billk1928

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
I found it a bit annoying that Zac felt compelled to complain about people not wanting to spend a fortune to watch anime. Unfortunately, I can only use myself and one or two others as examples, but we try to buy whatever ends up over here. We have zero control over which distributor ends up with a title, but if that's the one we want, we have to go with the price tag attached.

For example, I wanted to get K-ON! on BluRay, which was done with 3-4 episodes per disk, and next to nothing in the way of extras (interviews with three of the American voice actors, and some very bad English-dubbed singing of a couple of the songs from the show). The price varied from disk to disk, but it averaged to about $18 per. I wasn't happy about it, but I paid.

In case Zac and the others living in their little bubble didn't notice, we're still in a recession in this country, which means money is tight and having to part with $72 for a season's worth of shows is not fun. The people at ANNCast get to see a lot of anime and manga for FREE. Admittedly, that's part of your job, but Zac far too often sounds like he is way beyond burnout, and many of the others working at ANN sound like they're only doing their jobs because it's better than having to work in the Real World.

Another impression I've gained is that ANNCast has become a bought and paid-for front for the US anime industry. Like the useless Media in Washington DC, you are far more interested in access to the "big names," and have all but forgotten about the fans, who make up the majority of your listeners. If you prefer to be shills, that is your choice, but understand that as more people realize you only speak for the ones selling the stuff and not at all for the consumers, then you will end up just talking to yourselves.

I will continue to visit ANN once every few weeks, to check and see if anything interesting is going on. But ANNCast has continued for far too long in my opinion, so I'm not going to bother downloading it from now on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6