• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
underlock

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Every detail? Come on, how much have they avoided explaining so far? There's no excuse for this considering the amount of side stories.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
There's a browser based sorta MMO called Kingdom of Loathing, which uses primitive stick figure artwork and is heavily humor based. Anyways, the reason why I am bringing it up is because the cooking/crafting system in it is a bit different than many popular games like World of Warcraft.

In World of Warcraft, you can't even cook an item unless you first learn the recipe, either from a class trainer or a scroll item drop or a quest reward or whatever. There is no experimentation, you always learn the recipe from some place else first.

In Kingdom of Loathing, that is not the case at all. You can just try to cook random items together, or combine items in various crafting things, and maybe it will work, maybe it won't. This makes it a lot closer to what Sword Art Online is apparently like.

But you know what... there's a wiki. I can look at that wiki, and find out every single recipe in the entire game, no need to experiment myself. Do you know what the difference is between an item that someone discovers how to make via experimentation, and one that someone discovers how to make by checking the wiki?

Nothing. As long as the in game avatars have the same associated skills needed to make it, nothing.

That is the point I was trying to make. When you said he was a beginner, I assumed you meant that whatever his in-game skill ranks related to potions are, they are low. And learning the recipe from someone else does not imply that in the slightest.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
underlock wrote:
Every detail? Come on, how much have they avoided explaining so far? There's no excuse for this considering the amount of side stories.

That's just not what the story's about. A story set in Tokyo doesn't need to stop and explain about the latest election for mayor, how the city planners timed all the streetlights to optimize traffic, nor the process that the doctor treating the main character needed to go through to get his medical license. Details only need to be given when they matter to the story. In this case, the setting is "generic MMO" in all the places where details aren't given. That seems to be a problem for some people who've never played such a game, so I can't say it's entirely well thought out, but I'm not sure exactly what you're expecting out of this series.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
In this case, the setting is "generic MMO" in all the places where details aren't given.

The problem is that SAO often doesn't obey "generic MMO" rules, which means that every time it does something different than a normal MMO it should be explaining itself or showing us how it works.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Clarste wrote:
In this case, the setting is "generic MMO" in all the places where details aren't given.

The problem is that SAO often doesn't obey "generic MMO" rules, which means that every time it does something different than a normal MMO it should be explaining itself or showing us how it works.

Could you give an example where they don't? There's also the problem of having the characters start a "as you and I both know" conversation which is always very silly. They did that in one of the earlier episodes while explaining Sleep-PK, and I thought it was very awkward.

And, well, it's not like you can't just make some basic assumptions from what's shown. Sticking with crafting, we see Lisbeth make a sword. Apparently it took a single piece of metal and she just hit it with a hammer until it turned into a sword. She didn't know what stats it would have ahead of time, or even its name. So, in all likelihood, it's a game like Kingdom of Loathing described above where the ingredients determine the result. This is corroborated by the fact that earlier in the episode she mentions using a "speed-focused metal" to make another sword. The crafters don't choose the final product, they just choose the ingredients based on past experience. Although there was never any doubt that she'd be making a one-handed sword, so she probably chose "one-handed sword" from a skill list and use that skill on the metal.

That's about as much detail as you could reasonably expect, and they didn't explain a single thing. You just have to apply common sense and game logic.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
final fantasy XI has digestible poison potions. you can actually kill yourself in town.

WOW had an outbreak of a killer disease which escaped from an instanced boss fight who afflicted players as a standard attack which kept killing low level players in town because the boss was so high level a fight low levels were never meant to be exposed to the disease. so when it glitched out of the instance and plagued the town people were dieing all over the place.

skyrim has a pretty simplistic crafting system. many MMO's are much more advanced. FFXIV has a much more in-depth crafting system. creating poisons of all types and varying durations which are usually based on rolls for resistance to. fail a roll it'll last till at least the next roll or the set duration whichever comes first.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
FFXI again, when you are crafting you don't know what are you making for the first time. Of course you can cheat and look up the info online. Some cheap items, NPC will tell you. that's about it.
FFXI crating, sometimes you can HQ item with +1 +2 or with different name.

ragnarok, you can add parameters to your weapons.

Since SAO is more much advance, i would assume, crafting has alot of random factors. You can't always make the same item even with the same ingredients.

Don't forget, the author played FFXI.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:15 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
Kuradeel's highest level skill spoiler[at the time of his death was medicine mixing (897)]

Everyone seems to have ignored this post. Possible because Bugnin didn't mention that 1000 is the max skill level. Kuradeel seems to be pretty darn dedicated potion mixer. If I remember correctly, Asuna had only very recently hit level 1000 in cooking.

If medicine mixing works similar to cooking in SAO, the skill level restricts what ingredients can used successfully and recipes are something you have learn trough trial and error or by learning the recipe from someone else.

So Kuradeel has become expert in medicine mixing by using the skill a great number of times, but he has learned how to produce (this particular breed of super effective???) paralyzing poison from Laughing Coffin. Or maybe he meant that he had learned the technique of poisoning water with it from them. Laughing Coffin is implied to have been experimenting for new methods of player killing for at least the period of one year at this point of the story (half year during the murder mystery), so they might have found out some game breaking poison recipes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:18 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
Everyone seems to have ignored this post.

Because it doesn't matter.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:35 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
4nBlue wrote:
Everyone seems to have ignored this post.

Because it doesn't matter.

His skill level doesn't matter when discussing his expertise in that skill?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:09 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:

And tell me, how do you know of his skill level?

If your information is from the Light Novels - and I suspect it is - then it doesn't matter. It isn't relevant. This is the Anime we're talking about, not the Light Novels. Stuff that only happened in the Light Novels might as well not exist when talking about the Anime, because a series is expected to stand on its own. That I have to explain this to someone who has been here for four years is kind of sad.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
4nBlue wrote:

And tell me, how do you know of his skill level?

If your information is from the Light Novels - and I suspect it is - then it doesn't matter. It isn't relevant. This is the Anime we're talking about, not the Light Novels. Stuff that only happened in the Light Novels might as well not exist when talking about the Anime, because a series is expected to stand on its own. That I have to explain this to someone who has been here for four years is kind of sad.

I don't know if what Bugnin posted is from the light novel (can't access it before I get home) or character bio from the anime's homepage or something else, but what he posted was relevant to the discussion.

That's your way thinking. For as long as the SAO anime doesn't go out of its way to point out that this is different in the anime, I expect it to be the same as in the light novel.

I'm not sure how me being registered user for four years is related to this when a large number of my posts have been me pointing out additional details or differences from the source material for several series over the years. I also constantly find myself amazed by the depth of knowledge that some people who have been watching anime for a much shorter time than I have.

Could we agree to disagree, because I don't think that your way of thinking is wrong and I don't think that you plan to chance it and I don't have any interest in changing your way of thinking about adaptions.

EDIT: Just as an afterthought. Would this information be relevant if it was posted on the anime's homepage in the same way as stuff covered by the light novels but not the anime is posted on Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere's homepage.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:58 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
Could we agree to disagree...

No, but I'll happily agree that you're wrong.

Adaptations are to be judged solely on their own merits and must stand on their own. It's a cardinal rule.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:29 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Adaptations are to be judged solely on their own merits and must stand on their own. It's a cardinal rule.

Thus why this series should be so much better than a certain other virtual game anime that left it's conclusion for a video game, as well as a number of other background information.

That series is a far greater commiter of that sin than SAO.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Thus why this series should be so much better than a certain other virtual game anime that left it's conclusion for a video game, as well as a number of other background information.

That series is a far greater commiter of that sin than SAO.

That whole franchise was specifically designed around multimedia integration, though. This one isn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 54 of 274