• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2010 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Then for the shows that you've got access to, you have the same DVD resolution as Hulu, once you switch the stream from 360p to 480p.
Uh yeah, we're kinda going around in circles here. I say, the youtube streams look bad. ...
It only seems to be a circle to you because even if you knew that you were only talking about the quality of streams on YouTube/Funimation, you didn't say that, but rather:
Quote:
Their streams are pretty low quality so I'd rather just wait for a DVD release.
... when you are not talking about the quality of Funimation's streams at all, but rather about the quality of streams over YouTube.

You wished for the titles to be available to someone smaller, but if the titles were picked up by someone smaller who streamed them on Hulu and YouTube, you'd be in exactly the same boat, with the DVD quality or better 480p on Hulu losing quality when squeezed through the YouTube bottleneck.

And indeed, if Funimation goes ahead with the relaunch of its streaming site, it could well be that Canadian viewers will get access to the same quality of streams as on Hulu, except direct from Funimation.com.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the reviewers reacted so favourably to Otome Yokai Zakuro because external validation of my own splendid taste is always welcome. However, there was one aspect of the second eppie that didn't sit that well with me, although perhaps it was a fansub translation problem: namely, Zakuro's comments about how some aspects of Western influence were all right, but that other important things were being lost. Maybe I'm just too sensitive, but that kind of longing for "Old Japan" (i.e. before the nasty round-eyes started polluting it with their ways) struck me as a bit reactionary. It's the sort of sentiment you can imagine being flung around at an ultra-nationalist rally. Anybody else pick up on this?
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
However, there was one aspect of the second eppie that didn't sit that well with me, although perhaps it was a fansub translation problem: namely, Zakuro's comments about how some aspects of Western influence were all right, but that other important things were being lost. Maybe I'm just too sensitive, but that kind of longing for "Old Japan" (i.e. before the nasty round-eyes started polluting it with their ways) struck me as a bit reactionary. It's the sort of sentiment you can imagine being flung around at an ultra-nationalist rally. Anybody else pick up on this?
If it was flung around an ultra-nationalist rally, it would be a reference to some idealized myth of Bushido, but in the context of half-yokai spirit girls in early Meiji Restoration Japan when the modernization is clearly being pushed by the Army, I don't get the ultra-nationalist vibe from it at all.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
However, there was one aspect of the second eppie that didn't sit that well with me, although perhaps it was a fansub translation problem: namely, Zakuro's comments about how some aspects of Western influence were all right, but that other important things were being lost. Maybe I'm just too sensitive, but that kind of longing for "Old Japan" (i.e. before the nasty round-eyes started polluting it with their ways) struck me as a bit reactionary. It's the sort of sentiment you can imagine being flung around at an ultra-nationalist rally. Anybody else pick up on this?
If it was flung around an ultra-nationalist rally, it would be a reference to some idealized myth of Bushido, but in the context of half-yokai spirit girls in early Meiji Restoration Japan when the modernization is clearly being pushed by the Army, I don't get the ultra-nationalist vibe from it at all.

I am far from an expert on modern Japanese politics, but wouldn't one of the themes of today's Japanese nationalists be that the country has lost its "purity" as a result of foreign influences?
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I am far from an expert on modern Japanese politics, but wouldn't one of the themes of today's Japanese nationalists be that the country has lost its "purity" as a result of foreign influences?
Yeah. OTOH, a series set in the early Meiji Restoration period, even a fantasy version of the early Meiji Restoration period, that does not have anyone wondering whether its all entirely for the best, would be a Pollyanna whitewash of the tensions of industrialization. It'd be like Dickens' Little Dorrit without the debtor's prison.

Last edited by agila61 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

It's a concern that has been going around for a while now. If you are really interested in it you should watch Gasaraki, which was aired in 1998. The show had the cultural and moral downfall of the Japanese people as a major theme, devoting huge tracts of screentime towards characters discussing little else but how the country has lost its way.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Yeah. OTOH, a series set in the early Meiji Restoration period, even a fantasy version of the early Meiji Restoration period, that does not have anyone wondering whether its all entirely for the best, would be a Pollyanna whitewash of the tensions of industrialization. It'd be like Dickens' Little Dorrit without the debtor's prison.

And on the surface of it, there is nothing particularly wrong with anybody wondering if modernization/Westernization is "for the best." Such a cultural lament is hardly unique to Japan. But it is also a bit ironic, considering that one of the major themes of the show is tolerance for those who are different and a yearning for "Old Japan" can be code for a yearning for racial homogeneity. Again, I could be reading too much into it, but it kind of niggled at my enjoyment. I'm hoping this isn't going to be a major message of the series.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's a little ironic, but really, one expects yokai to be a bit reactionary, just as one expects European elves to be opposed to industrialization. Sure, one could have xenophile yokai, just as one can have elves dancing on the assembly line, but it would be contrary to the usual nature of fairytale creatures from the past.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Maybe it's a little ironic, but really, one expects yokai to be a bit reactionary, just as one expects European elves to be opposed to industrialization. Sure, one could have xenophile yokai, just as one can have elves dancing on the assembly line, but it would be contrary to the usual nature of fairytale creatures from the past.

But even on that level, the show is kind of contradicting itself. Zakuro seems to have an antipathy for all humans, but considering she lives in Japan, that antipathy should be strongest against Japanese people themselves considering they are the ones directly "oppressing" the yokai. It seems kind of odd that she, as a character, would be used as a mouthpiece for the "is modernization a good thing?" theme.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
DavidShallcross wrote:
But even on that level, the show is kind of contradicting itself. Zakuro seems to have an antipathy for all humans, but considering she lives in Japan, that antipathy should be strongest against Japanese people themselves considering they are the ones directly "oppressing" the yokai. It seems kind of odd that she, as a character, would be used as a mouthpiece for the "is modernization a good thing?" theme.
Its precisely the "Japanese people themselves" who were the ones doing the modernizing and industrializing. Indeed, in the Meiji period, the extreme nationalists would be among those leading the charge into modernization.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
DavidShallcross wrote:
Its precisely the "Japanese people themselves" who were the ones doing the modernizing and industrializing. Indeed, in the Meiji period, the extreme nationalists would be among those leading the charge into modernization.

I guess you are just not understanding me. The fact that in the real Meiji Restoration it may have been ultra-nationalists who lead the modernization push is irrelevant to my interpretation of the message I think may be being conveyed by the show. I think the nationalists of TODAY would be very comfortable with Zakuro's message.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I guess you are just not understanding me. The fact that in the real Meiji Restoration it may have been ultra-nationalists who lead the modernization push is irrelevant to my interpretation of the message I think may be being conveyed by the show. I think the nationalists of TODAY would be very comfortable with Zakuro's message.
Comfortable with? Yeah, probably comfortable with ... they'd be comfortable with any nostalgic look back at the early Meiji period as long as it was not an pedantic anti-Imperial lecture in disguise.

Of course, a radical Green would be equally happy with the scene that you are fretting over ~ the scene is actually about light pollution, after all ~ so its not like the show is pandering to ultra-nationalists reactionaries.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Comfortable with? Yeah, probably comfortable with ... they'd be comfortable with any nostalgic look back at the early Meiji period as long as it was not an pedantic anti-Imperial lecture in disguise.

Of course, a radical Green would be equally happy with the scene that you are fretting over ~ the scene is actually about light pollution, after all ~ so its not like the show is pandering to ultra-nationalists reactionaries.

Yeah, on the surface it's about light pollution - but what is the potentially deeper, coded message? It kind of reminds me of white Southerners who want to fly the Confederate flag on state capitol buildings and insist no racism is intended. But yeah, I've already said it is possible I'm perceiving a message that isn't really there.
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, on the surface it's about light pollution - but what is the potentially deeper, coded message? It kind of reminds me of white Southerners who want to fly the Confederate flag on state capitol buildings and insist no racism is intended. But yeah, I've already said it is possible I'm perceiving a message that isn't really there.

Yes, you are reading way, way too much into this. It's the usual theme of old vs new, conservativism vs progressivism, old values vs modern ways, etc. Or even nature vs technology, if you will. You can find this theme pretty much everywhere, not only in Japan. Obviously in Japan it's going to be treated a bit differently than in say, Europe or the US, because in Japan modernization and Westernization was relatively fast and, in a way, enforced. Thus, aside of being an overall interesting theme to explore, the situation also lends itself to placing characters into conflicting roles based on their POVs on old and new. That's all.

The youkai, being part of the "old world" obviously prefer the old way of life of which they were part of, and are vary of the new world that they don't understand and where they can't seem to find their place anymore. The soldiers, belonging to the new world, knowing its advantages and disadvantages, see things differently. Cue conflict, resolved by sweet love. Aww. Seeing how Kei mentioned that not all changes are bad, I'm pretty sure the show is not going to be a nationalist and racist soapbox. I can see the eventual villain(s) violently opposing modernization but they're the villains.

By the way, Zakuro is not the only show that touches on this theme in such a context. Natsume yuujinchou (which is excellent, by the way) has stories about gods that dwindle and cease to exist, youkai that go berserk, etc. because people don't believe in them anymore and as such the balance of their coexistence is upset. Even Hetalia has a strip about Japan, already on the way of modernization/Westernization, not seeing youkai and other supernatural creatures anymore. I'm sure there are other anime and manga that deal with this.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Questioning the necessity of the destruction of the wild world by modern urban industrial society is actually a lot more plausible as a coded message given that half-human, half-Yokai girls are quite obviously part of the good guys and the main male lead is overcoming a fear of "the other". And where racist reactions by Japanese in the park or on the street against Yokai is quite clearly painted as in the wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 54 of 57