• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Duo Tournament: RESULTS.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
velocet wrote:
It also helps that one of the first things that springs to mind for me when I think of Keiichi & Belldandy is the scene in one of their incarnations where the two of them ride the low-level motorbike that requires as much from the side passenger as it does from the driver to get it around the course - their perfect rhythm and harmony sums up Keiichi and Belldandy.

I think that was from the movie. It probably would have worked well as a clip for the tournament also.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
The low motorbike scene was from the movie. A moderately important part of it as well, showing the high level of teamwork and trust between the two, spoiler[despite Belldandy's memory having been temporarily erased.]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Group A-29

Voting for: Rosette Christopher & Chrono from Chrono Crusade

Reasons: I still don't like Belldandy.

Group A-30

Voting for: Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada from Honey and Clover

Reasons: Yeah...I know.

I just finished watching H&C though and having seen the entire story I think these two are actually a better duo than people give them credit for.

But no, they aren't even going to get close to winning and probably don't deserve to. But I love them enough to give them at least one vote in their favor (though that may just be because I haven't seen Crest of the Stars).
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Group A-29

Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Rosette Christopher & Chrono from Chrono Crusade [ Video Clip ]

Voting for: Belldandy and Keiichi
Reason: I like how velocet described them, their relationship is perfectly balanced. They are committed, supportive, loving, a great pair.

Group A-30

Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada from Honey and Clover [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Jinto Lin & Lafiel from Crest of the Stars [ Video Clip

Voting for: Jinto and Lafiel
Reason: Other's arguments. I have not seen enough of either series to judge on my own.
Olliff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
vs.

As strong as the Rosette and Chrono duo may be, I still feel that Belldandy and Keiichi have a decisive edge over them. Not only do Belldandy and Keiichi share a romantic bond, but the level of sincerity, devotion, loyalty and openness that they show towards each other is considerably lower in the Chrono Crusade pair. I also happen to be in the minority that loves Belldandy's character. She is easily the most caring anime character that I have ever witnessed. Belldandy exudes an aura of pleasantness and she wishes only to make the lives of those around her more enjoyable. She may be naive at times, but Keiichi is always sure to watch out for her and he would never dream of exploiting her in any way.

I also cannot think of another pair that cares more for each other. Both characters are both models of traditional more values. This combination of two pure characters makes a wonderful pair that also happens to make a great romantic duo. Oddly enough, the traditional values aspect of this duo is also a novelty that I enjoy seeing since it is rarely seen in modern anime anymore.

Group A-30

vs.
Jinto Lin & Lafiel from Crest of the Stars [ Video Clip ]

This choice is simple. I am surprised that the Honey and Clover team has made it this far, especially since the relationship is so one-sided, obsessive and unhealthy. Jinto and Lafiel easily win my vote.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Group A-29

vs.

This round is the first time I've voted based purely on clips and what's been posted on the boards. As such, I can't strongly jusify my votes like some posters, but I'm standing by them. Keiichi and Belldandy are the couple with the legacy behind them, AMG being one of the better known anime series out there... I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's notoriety must be due in no small part to the chemistry these guys have, and they therefore receive my vote.

Group A-30

vs.
I really, really wish I'd seen both of these anime, and one positive outcome of this tournament, whatever the result, is that I'll definitely have more 'must watch' anime on my radar. Oddly enough, I'm more drawn to Honey and Clover as a series, it's mentioned heavily in the romance anime thread, my favourite genre. But it's apparent from what I've read here and what I've seen in the clips that Jinto and Lafiel are the winners here.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Group A-29

vs.

Voting for: Rosette and Chrono
Reason: I know, I know, Belldandy and Keiichi are legendary and iconic, but for some reason I just can't vote for them. Maybe it is because I haven't seen all of the anime, or read the manga, but my vote is going to Rosette and Chrono. This pair left quite a memorable impression on me.

Group A-30

vs.

Voting for: Jinto and Lafiel
Reason: This duo is by far one of the best in this whole tournament. If you watch all of the Crest and Banner series then you will definitely know what everyone who voted for them is feeling. Their relationship is just so special, and I really think that the video clip shows that. One of my favorite couples in anime period.
ccdx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Group A-29

vs.

I've read some passionate arguments in favor of AMG, but I can't bring myself to vote for them. From what I've seen of Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato their relationship seems, forced. Not sure how else to put it? Belldandy will obviously do anything to please Keiichi like it's her job, which it kind of is. I bet that she eventually comes to love Keiichi just as much as he loves her, but the great duoness everyone else is seeing, I just don't. My vote goes to Rosette Christopher & Chrono.

Group A-30

vs.

This is way to easy, Jinto Lin & Lafiel win here. After viewing all the couples left in the tournament, I'm starting to lean toward Jinto and Lafiel winning the whole thing. I look forward to seeing how far they go and whether they can beat some of the big competition.
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
Group A-29

Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess
vs.
Rosette Christopher & Chrono from Chrono Crusade

Winner:Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato

In the initial stages of this tournament I saw Keiichi and Belldandy as likely contenders to win their group and in the following rounds I still haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise. I feel that the two duos have different types of relationships which might appeal to different people, and simply put I'm more attracted of the AMG one.

Group A-30

Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada from Honey and Clover
vs.
Jinto Lin & Lafiel from Crest of the Stars

Blahblah Jinto blah blah blah Lafiel blah.... Really what hasn't been said yet. Don't know much about either, but the H&C seemed fairly weak anyway after making it through the last round.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
ccdx wrote:
I've read some passionate arguments in favor of AMG, but I can't bring myself to vote for them. From what I've seen of Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato their relationship seems, forced. Not sure how else to put it? Belldandy will obviously do anything to please Keiichi like it's her job, which it kind of is. I bet that she eventually comes to love Keiichi just as much as he loves her, but the great duoness everyone else is seeing, I just don't. My vote goes to Rosette Christopher & Chrono.

Sounds like you've only seen the first few episodes. Those who have watched deep into the series would not question that Belldandy really does love Keiichi - if not outright, then definitely with time. They make such a great couple because they come out of an initial relationship born of gimmick and selfishness and grow into such an undeniably mutually loving pair that the power of their love even allows them to overcome very powerful attempts to subvert or pervert their relationship. Their relationship becomes far more trusting, stable, and emotionally intimate than Rosette and Chrono ever do.

On a side note, this one has proven to be every bit the contentious struggle I thought it would be (only one vote out of 21 separates them right now). Only 22 hours left, and D-29 is still very much up for grabs!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
Group A-29

vs.

I'll have to say Rosette and Chrono.

Haven't seen either series, but I vote against Belldandy and Keiichi due to the fact they are more a romantic couple, and it's unfair for them to go so far in a tournament which espouses duos. By that I mean romance should not be the sole or main reason for a duo to be here. Let them win a tournament devoted to romance, but don't compare them to duos that consist of friendships or sibling relationships.

Also, I've heard some things about the end of Chrono Crusade which makes me think that Rosette and Chrono had a strong bond.

Group A-30

vs.

Most definitely Jinto and Lafiel.

Haven't seen Honey and Clover, but I have seen Crest of the Stars. In my mind there is no contest. I love Jinto and Lafiel as a pairing, both in romantic and non-romantic settings. They complement each other. Even though Jinto is seemingly the useless one, he does provide emotional and moral support to Lafiel, in a sort of role-reversal. They may not be family, but that makes them even better as a duo. Their unlikely friendship is a testament to the bond between them, which is not dependent on family ties or the like.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Haven't seen either series, but I vote against Belldandy and Keiichi due to the fact they are more a romantic couple, and it's unfair for them to go so far in a tournament which espouses duos. By that I mean romance should not be the sole or main reason for a duo to be here. Let them win a tournament devoted to romance, but don't compare them to duos that consist of friendships or sibling relationships.

You're saying because you can't compare apples and oranges, you refuse to vote for apples? Nonsense. Even if you just ignore the romantic aspect of the relationship, Belldandy and Keiichi are still in the same league as Chrono and Rosette. Both Kei and Bell when under mind control were able to break out of its effects because of concern for the other. They have absolute faith in each other, and they have both risked their lives (and Belldandy her powers) for the other on multiple occaisions.

Also, the tournament originally was going to be only for romantic couples, but there was a consensus that the romantic relationships of certain couples were ambiguous and the tournament would be more interesting if the qualifications were broadened. It is unlikely that there will ever be an ANN tournament exclusively for romantic couples.

On another note, I find interesting that the clip for Rosette and Chrono includes Rosette explaining that her reason initiating the contract with Chrono is all about Joshua.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:41 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
You're saying because you can't compare apples and oranges, you refuse to vote for apples? Nonsense.

I prefer apples to oranges.

But let's pretend that this is a gadget competition. In this round of the Best Gadget Tournament, there was a choice between the iPod and some GPS brand. Now, I don't have an iPod (gasp) or an in-car GPS device. Therefore I am ambivalent towards both gadgets, having never used them.

However, I remember there being a Best Portable Media Player Tournament as well, and I recall the iPod doing very well in it. That being the case, I vote against the iPod, since it's already had it's fun. In the interest of fairplay, I want to ignore the hype and choose the underdog, the one that best represents an actual gadget and not a fashion statement like the iPod is.

Have I cleared up the issue here with my carefully thought out metaphor thingy? Cause if I haven't, tough, I'm too tired to continue.
velocet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
Hmmm. Even though I agree with you somewhat on the couples vs every other kind of pairing problem dtm42, I really can't I'm really follow your logic in this particular match up, following your further explanation. With your analogy, it reads like you're voting against Belldandy and Keiichi not because you've really weighed up the comparative merits of the alternative, but because you don't like voting for what's deemed 'popular'. In the case of this tournament, being iconic and such has actually been detrimental to some pairs progress - certainly I would have thought Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask would have gone further, but they actually struggled to get as far as they did. It's also worth noting that this match up is pretty much neck-and-neck - Rosette and Chrono are hardly an 'underdog' pairing that need support against Big Bad Belldandy and her army of fanboys.

Honestly, I used to have a very similar mindset to you when it came to choosing the underdog/alternative option - oddly enough, iPods included, (not so much now, but certainly as a teenager I went out of my way to stubbornly be as alternative as possible), but then I started thinking about things a different way - sometimes things become popular because they're actually pretty good, and often stuff deserves the praise it gets. Once I started giving the popular stuff a proper chance (and not being overly critical because it contains elements I don't quite like, continuing the analogy, overly fashionable hardware interfering with my indie street cred) I found out that most of the time, these things have a lot going for them.

If the duo in question is better in terms of their interaction, strength of relationship within context, importance within their series, then I'm going to vote for them, even if they are a romantic pairing - though I prefer duos with several layers of interaction, purely romantic interaction is just as justifiable as a duo as any other kind is. How is a strong romantic pair any less of a 'duo' than, say, the familial bond of the Elric brothers? The relationship between them is still love - it's just a different kind of love. I've certainly had a gripe about the way people are comparing different relationships to each other, but it's not impossible to do. Judge the pair within their context, and then weigh up the strength of their bond and interaction against the other. This is a best 'duo' tournament, and part of what makes a 'duo' comes from two characters interacting together in a way that is enjoyable, memorable and affecting to the viewer. Yes, I prefer non-romantic pairings too, but romance is as much as part of human interaction as any other kind; dismissing it or ruling it out of a tournament based around pairs of human characters' interaction together seems, well, a bit silly, really.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
Group A-29

Belldandy & Keiichi Morisato from Ah! My Goddess Video Clip ]
vs.
Rosette Christopher & Chrono from Chrono Crusade [ Video Clip

Pick: Belldandy and Keiichi

Easy. Rosette and Chrono are great together, but Belldandy and Keiichi are just too much of a classic duo and their bond is very hard to beat.

Group A-30

Takumi Mayama & Ayumi Yamada from Honey and Clover Video Clip
vs.

Pick: Jinto and Lafiel

Easy again. I haven't been following the tournament for a few weeks, and I'm surprised to see Ayu and Mayama even here. Honey and Clover isn't about any two people, it's about the bonds between just about everyone in the entire cast. Ayu likes Mayama, but that's about it. Ayu might even be closer to Morita, actually. Mayama's also hung up on Rika, Ayu's just the little girl that likes him that he doesn't want to hurt. On the other hand, everything I've read and seen so far suggests that Jinto and Lafiel will be worthy adversaries against Belldandy and Keiichi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 55 of 80