• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Unveils Swimming Team TV Anime Free! for July

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
You know, I'm not a BL fan and I'm not particularly fond of sports or sports anime, but I hope this swimming show kicks everything else out of the water this summer, just to rub it in: KyoAni can make an anime about cute boys doing cute things and light fangirl hearts on fire the world over! So let's get those fanarts, doujin and AMVs & MADs together and prove it!

It won't be able to touch Monogatari Second Season in sales in its wildest dreams. Thats going to be an easy 50-60k.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

It won't be able to touch Monogatari Second Season in sales in its wildest dreams. Thats going to be an easy 50-60k.

And so just because it isn't going to be one of the top selling of all times doesn't mean it won't be considered a huge success.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Right, and when that happens it will finally be proven that you are superior, your taste in anime is superior, you're the real fan, everyone else is a pretender to the throne and finally that emptiness inside will go away.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Right, and when that happens it will finally be proven that you are superior, your taste in anime is superior, you're the real fan, everyone else is a pretender to the throne and finally that emptiness inside will go away.

I like how you attack me, but when someone attacks people who like otaku anime saying they hope it sells more just to make people mad you ignore it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

I like how you attack me, but when someone attacks people who like otaku anime saying they hope it sells more just to make people mad you ignore it.

Because it's funny. You don't get to play victim when 80% of everything the entire country produces is catering to your every whim and fetish. You already have what you want, why are you bitching about someone else getting what they want, it makes zero sense and I have zero sympathy for you.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Because it's funny. You don't get to play victim when 80% of everything the entire country produces is catering to your every whim and fetish. You already have what you want, why are you bitching about someone else getting what they want, it makes zero sense and I have zero sympathy for you.

Thats because people like me and others with my tastes support the industry. We SHOULD get what we like made, not the people who complain while not actually importing anything or supporting the industry.

If people here actually imported stuff they like, instead of talking about how much they want that stuff and then not supporting the industry, I'd be okay with it. Like my first post in this topic long ago, I said I just hope the people who really wanted this made actually support it. Thats all I care about. If it comes out and then doesn't sell when the people hyping it up didn't buy it, people will inevitably complain about Japan not making what they want in the future even though its their fault for it not doing well.
musouka

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Thats because people like me and others with my tastes support the industry. We SHOULD get what we like made, not the people who complain while not actually importing anything or supporting the industry.

And I asked you this as well. Do you import everything you watch? Because I've seen you talk about "importing" before, and frankly, you seem to have no real knowledge of exactly what it costs, leading me to believe you don't import with any regularity at all.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

And I asked you this as well. Do you import everything you watch? Because I've seen you talk about "importing" before, and frankly, you seem to have no real knowledge of exactly what it costs, leading me to believe you don't import with any regularity at all.

No, I only import the stuff I like the most due to the high prices. Recently, that would only be Chuunibyou, Girls und Panzer, Little Busters and Love Live. Thats how the industry works... you buy the stuff you like the most to get more anime similar to it made.
musouka

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

No, I only import the stuff I like the most due to the high prices.

Then you have no room to brag. I also only import the series I really want, and if Free isn't one of them, the blame doesn't rest on me, it rests on KyoAni.

They need to do a good enough job to get me to import. You whining about how people better support this series or else they don't care about the industry catering to women is a ridiculous strawman. No single person is required to spend their money on ANYTHING they don't like, whether it supports the industry or not.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Like my first post in this topic long ago, I said I just hope the people who really wanted this made actually support it. Thats all I care about. If it comes out and then doesn't sell when the people hyping it up didn't buy it, people will inevitably complain about Japan not making what they want in the future even though its their fault for it not doing well.

We get it. Why are you harping on it over and over again, then? Do you feel you somehow HAVEN'T made us all aware of how you feel about this?

BOY I HOPE YOU GUYS ACTUALLY BUY THIS LIKE I DO BOY I HOPE YOU GUYS ACTUALLY BUY THIS LIKE I DO BOY I HOPE YOU GUYS ACTUALLY BUY THIS LIKE I DO BOY I HOPE YOU GUYS ACTUALLY BUY THIS LIKE I DO BOY I HOPE YOU GUYS ACTUALLY BUY THIS LIKE I DO BOY I HOPE YOU GUYS ACTUALLY BUY THIS LIKE I DO BOY I HOPE YOU GUYS ACTUALLY BUY THIS LIKE I DO

WE GET IT
omoikane

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
I have to consider Girls und Panzer to be an outlier, since the Blu-ray percentage is extreme even when compared to series in the same vein. The Blu-ray vs DVD numbers for rest of these titles are pretty typical for series aimed at the "male otaku" demographic. Female otaku may have begun buying Blu-ray releases in greater numbers, but for now the Blu-ray to DVD sales ratio is still a pretty good indicator of who is buying what.

Thanks for this.

I guess the only question left is are there any titles in the gap? I semi-regularly look at sales figures too so I'm aware of the DVD gap, but this is the first time I'm looking at it closely, and while a lot of shows tend to have those numbers that you posted, after seeing the 50%+ stuff I'm wondering what sort of IP is in the 30-40% range.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
Furudanuki wrote:
I have to consider Girls und Panzer to be an outlier, since the Blu-ray percentage is extreme even when compared to series in the same vein. The Blu-ray vs DVD numbers for rest of these titles are pretty typical for series aimed at the "male otaku" demographic. Female otaku may have begun buying Blu-ray releases in greater numbers, but for now the Blu-ray to DVD sales ratio is still a pretty good indicator of who is buying what.

Thanks for this.

I guess the only question left is are there any titles in the gap? I semi-regularly look at sales figures too so I'm aware of the DVD gap, but this is the first time I'm looking at it closely, and while a lot of shows tend to have those numbers that you posted, after seeing the 50%+ stuff I'm wondering what sort of IP is in the 30-40% range.

From 2012, these are the shows in the 30-40% range:

*4,206 - Lupin the Third Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna (Spring, 1 vols) 1,404 DVD (34%) / 2,802 BD (67%)
*3,369 - Queen's Blade Rebellion (Spring, 6 vols) 1,037 DVD (31%) / 2,332 BD (70%)
*2,986 - Natsu-iro Kiseki (Spring, 7 vols) 944 DVD (32%) / 2,042 BD (69%)
*2,304 - Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2 (Winter, 6 vols) 750 DVD (33%) / 1,554 BD (68%)
*2,269 - Zero no Tsukaima F (Winter, 6 vols) 688 DVD (31%) / 1,582 BD (70%)
*2,223 - Acchi Kocchi (Spring, 6 vols) 769 DVD (35%) / 1,454 BD (66%)
**,993 - Kill Me Baby (Winter, 6 vols) 293 DVD (30%) / 700 BD (71%)

The most noticeable thing is that shows that don't swing to one extreme or the other typically aren't good sellers.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Like my first post in this topic long ago, I said I just hope the people who really wanted this made actually support it. Thats all I care about. If it comes out and then doesn't sell when the people hyping it up didn't buy it, people will inevitably complain about Japan not making what they want in the future even though its their fault for it not doing well.

WELL, instead of wildly speculating about the future, let's just wait and see what happens, okay? You know, there are people at production studios whose actual job it is to analyze market potential and calculate risk. There are actual numbers involved, and they put people's livelihoods on the line, so let's assume they've put more thought into a project decision than just dicking around 2ch for four minutes.

If it all comes crashing down, you can say, "I told you so!" but until then, you're just harping until the point of exhaustion.
Draneor

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

What your not getting is that Free is also an otaku anime--it's just not aimed primarily at heterosexual male otaku.

RyanSaotome wrote:

I know when I look at the summer chart there are basically no shows that involve cute girls, harems, or light novels. Also, please don't speak for importers who buy a wide variety of shows from different genres. Some far more than a couple a year.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
If it comes out and then doesn't sell when the people hyping it up didn't buy it, people will inevitably complain about Japan not making what they want in the future even though its their fault for it not doing well.

But no one is complaining. We ARE happy this ONE series is being made for female fans. We aren't saying we want the entire market to change.

The anime industry doesn't bother me at all, its fans like YOU who bother me and your whole negative and condescending attitude:

1) That male fans are better fans
2) That Free! is going to be a failure because of this and this
3) That female fans should be happy with what they have (even if I am happy with the anime every season, I really don't need any guy to tell me this).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 57 of 58