• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Since you've brought it in aya_honda I will continue. BIG SPOILERspoiler[I think one thing that made them paranoid first was their never ending exhausting battle between the married couple and the mistress. And then Kakeru got out, and then Machi's parents had her brother. And think about the fact that there is a 16 year gap between her and her brother (not Kakeru). I think it was pathetic how paranoid her parents were, thinking that she was trying to strangle him or whatever was going on in their minds. That's why she lives in an apartment away from home. And we thought that the Sohma clan had some bad parents. ]Guess it's not limited to just them.
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
Wow, fighterholic, boy, you were tough in closing that discussion about the finale of the anime! Wink Laughing Can I say something about the ending too? Confused

Well, I would enjoy hearing your thoughts about the anime finale, aya_honda. If fighterholic (that meanie Wink ) doesn't want to derail the Machi discussion, PM me.

And about Machi, all I can say is: Wow! There is so much more to her story that I was expecting. Shocked

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
Well, I would enjoy hearing your thoughts about the anime finale, aya_honda. If fighterholic (that meanie Wink ) doesn't want to derail the Machi discussion, PM me.

And about Machi, all I can say is: Wow! There is so much more to her story that I was expecting. Shocked

-Murph

Gee whiz, was I that harsh Sad ? Ohh, I just love how Machi's story gets better with each passing volume, especially because spoiler[her existence brings even more light into Yuki's personality and really brings him to be more open.] Very Happy
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Ohh, I just love how Machi's story gets better with each passing volume, especially because spoiler[her existence brings even more light into Yuki's personality and really brings him to be more open.] Very Happy

Good! I'm looking forward to being able to compare the Yuki of Vol. 1 to the Yuki of the last Vol....not that it's going to get here in English any time soon...**grump, gripe, mutter**
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Good! I'm looking forward to being able to compare the Yuki of Vol. 1 to the Yuki of the last Vol....not that it's going to get here in English any time soon...**grump, gripe, mutter**

Well, volume 16 is supposed to be next month, right? So we'll be seeing both volumes 17 and 18 by the end of the year, and up to volume 21 by the end of next year with conclusion of the series in 2009. By then we'll probably all be off of anime and manga and onto something more productive Crying or Very sad BTW Lydia, welcome to the 2000 club!!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
BTW Lydia, welcome to the 2000 club!!

WOW! Jeez! I didn't even notice! Embarassed

Thank you!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:41 am Reply with quote
Murph, I'll do that! Wink

Onto to our Machi discussion, yes, fighterholic, you were right and I remember even now that at the time when I read that happening I was just stunned at the thought someone might actually think like this too. I mean, spoiler[it's pretty difficult for the children to fight against each other just to benefit from the inheritance that they might have once they prove themselves good enough. Which is something rather stupid and not to mention sadistic. Children should deserve better and they should all be equal in front of their parents, especially when taking into consideration that they ere born out of love... at some point in time Machi was actually wanted by her parents. I was just wondering how come they have completely lost that feeling. Rolling Eyes Therefore I was most shocked to see that they isolated her so much and I was sureprised that on the other hand Kakeru understand her situation very well. I don't think that it's because they had to compete against each other is because they are both wounded souls. I don't think Kakeru's life has been an easy one too. ]

Even more, what attracts me to the story that exists between Machi and Yuki is that it is the story between spoiler[two wounded souls like it has been mentioned before. I enjoyed very much that line of hers but also another small gesture that she made: Yuki was searching for...can't remember exactly who Embarassed but Machi saw him and she chased him just to see if he's ok. I loved that scene very much because they weren't so close yet and still she sensed what was going on with him. that beautiful gesture remained in my memory for a very long time. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
Murph, I'll do that! Wink

I just want to make sure you guys, that I'm not trying to act like the dictator of this thread, and I always welcome discussion about the anime. But you will always know my thoughts about the series, especially the end of it, but I don't want you guys to run away and make me feel bad Sad

Anyways, one thing I saw growing from Yuki spoiler[was when Yuki and Machi were talking on the roof of the school, and then it was time to go back to class. As Machi was running down from the stairs, Yuki called from up above, telling her that they should go somewhere during their summer vacation. You could see the expression from Yuki's face, how he was just beaming, and in a sense, how he was helping somebody like he had been helped.]
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I just want to make sure you guys, that I'm not trying to act like the dictator of this thread, and I always welcome discussion about the anime. But you will always know my thoughts about the series, especially the end of it, but I don't want you guys to run away and make me feel bad Sad

Eh, don't worry about it. My comment was just a sorry attempt at humor, which probably didn't translate well over the Internet. I try to throw a joke in every now and then to see what gets a laugh. Very Happy I'm enjoying the discussion. My only real gripe, like LydiaDianne said earlier, is that the U.S. volumes aren't further along and I feel like I don't have much to add about some topics.

Aya_honda, I look forward to your thoughts on the finale.

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
On a side topic, make sure you guys read this link: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-03-20/fruits-basket-final-vol

I'll be heading to Kinokuniya this weekend Very Happy
cerulean88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:06 am Reply with quote
Shocked there's Kinokuniya stores in the US???!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:19 am Reply with quote
cerulean88 wrote:
Shocked there's Kinokuniya stores in the US???!

And HERE she is, back once again Very Happy Yes, there are. In fact, there's one that is only a thirty minute drive from my house.
pretear_princess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote
hey, can like someone mail me and tel me what happens in the end because it ended on tv, and it ended 5 episodes until the end and i got so mad, can someone please please please tell me what happens???? does like tohru survive and does Kyo actually kill himself??? I'm dying here!!!!!!!!! Anime cry
thank you - Neisey
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote
pretear_princess wrote:
hey, can like someone mail me and tel me what happens in the end because it ended on tv, and it ended 5 episodes until the end and i got so mad, can someone please please please tell me what happens???? does like tohru survive and does Kyo actually kill himself??? I'm dying here!!!!!!!!! Anime cry
thank you - Neisey

I've private messaged you the ending, like I said in the message if you want to get into detail feel free to ask me.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Hello, I was wondering if I could join your Fruits Basket discussion! I have avoided this topic for awhile because I am only following the English releases (volume 15) and was too scared to have something spoiled for me. But I read over the discussion and it seems the parts where you discuss the last few Japanese releases are now over, and these weekly discussions on different characters seem interesting. Those of you who have completed the manga also do a good job of pointing out the really BIG spoilers beforehand for the English manga readers so I am relieved.

Also it seems that there are others who are only following the English releases, and that made me feel better and like I maybe might be able to contribute some thoughts.

(To: Fighterholic and aya honda: You guys are really admirable! I really wish I could read Japanese because I would be buying the Jpaanese volumes instead of the English releases!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 58 of 170