• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds Spice and Wolf, Yotsuba&!, Crescent Moon Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazingwind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
i have to laugh at that metro troll that is obviously trolling

adv dubs are so bad that funimation has to use the best talent that ADV has found like chris patton, luci christian, austin casts as a lot of funimation's lead roles

and also adv dubs getting constant praise by reviewers of this site and animeondvd

you destroy your own credibility by making absurd statements
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:19 am Reply with quote
But here's the final line. We're geting Yotsubato 6, Hu-friggin-za. No more having to play the waiting game.
I might never get volume 2 of R^2 but at least I'll get Yotsuba.

And Gutsoon was unfortunate but they went out like punks because because a) Sega are idiots and b) you can't release a magazine weekly, it's just not profitable.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
Conan: If you can release Naruto every week, you can release Raijin every week. The only problem with Gutsoon was the lack of name-brand titles. [At least according to the current generation of fans, anyway.]
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:38 am Reply with quote
I love you, Yen Press!
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Quote:
Yotsuba&!
YESSSSSSS
Quote:
Spice and Wolf
Novel or manga?

they orginally licensed the novel so this is the manga, yay for Yotsuba
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
And how many years did it take Animeigo to release Yawara or Viz to release Monster and H+C?

Wait, are you serious? Those aren't even comparable seeing as Yawara is old, niche,long and this is animeeigo's first release of it. And correct me if I'm wrong, but itsn't animeigo much smaller than ADV?

Monster took a little more than 2 years to finish release for the manga btw. Yotsuba on the other hand saw two years for 5 volumes.

If you're talking about the anime, well, it's a long series with a limited audience, and it probably cost them a good amount.

H+C again has a limited audience.

But the thing is, once Viz starts releasing those titles they'll stick to their usual release schedule.

I don't care how long it takes them to get to he point where they can release a series initially. It's just that once they release it they should do so regularly.

GATSU wrote:

teferi wrote:
ADV is supposed to be running a business, we're paying them money for a product, not camaraderie.

So does that mean you're glad to pay for a non-liner note version of NHK, too?

What has that got to do with what I said? Liner notes are merely incentives for customers to pay more cash for a product, they don't promote camaraderie.

GATSU wrote:
Seems like a dumb move, since the only people who will buy it are those who already own the previous volumes. And they'll probably overprint the hell out of it, thus negating any profit.

Amazon Search
The first five volumes are still available for sale. Yen Press doesn't need to take on the cost to release them yet, so they didn't. Given that they've been in print for a while, it's not like there isn't anyone that already wants volume 6 (I know I've had it on pre-order since last January). And when it becomes necessary to release/license them Yen Press probably will.
mulrich

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
[..] and b) you can't release a magazine weekly, it's just not profitable.

I beg to differ, the weekly Disney comic magazine Anders And & Co. - that's Donald Duck & Co. to you 'Mericans - does quite well. Several other magazines do quite well with weekly releases.

To stay in the manga thing, we have no manga magazines, but back when Dragon Ball was being published, a new volume was published every Friday at the beginning. As they got near the end of the series, it slowed down to first every other Friday, and finally, every three weeks - and for just DKK 39.95 a volume. In case you're wondering, that's real cheap for manga not on sale, and Dragon Ball fared quite well.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
teferi: It can be argued that Yotsuba is "niche", too, since YP only licensed one volume. And ADV's manga division is probably as small as Animeigo's anime division. As for Monster, Viz could have released it any time, especially to cash in on the Hollywood remake. And if you think Viz sticks to a consistent schedule, what about Hikaru No Go?
Moving on to liner notes, those aren't just incentives; for a show with cultural in-jokes, they may be a requirement. And if you actually click on the individual volumes, not all of them are in fact in stock.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I'm guessing B't X got canceled, because it was basically St. Seiya with horses, and thus confusing to readers.

???
It was cancelled-sorry-rescheduled so TP could launch a division to promote their titles to Hollywood as I recall.
And who sez it's horses? They're actually mech

GATSU wrote:

As for 3x3 Eyes, yeah, that sucks but people still respect the company, anyway.

Meybe you. I'm still pissed about 3X3 Eyes & Seraphic Feather. And the fact they run higher for titles. I usually eyeball their titles for awhile before actually buying them & they make up a pretty small amount of the 2000+ volumes of manga in my collection.

GATSU wrote:

And there are a lot of people who have a number of incomplete series from Gutsoon, too. What's your point?

Hmmm.
I have something like 5 volumes of City Hunter & 2 Getten Angel & a couple Bowwow something as well as about 8 Raijin mags.
At least they made a effort to put out each title rather than just rush out 1 volume & then drop each of the titles into a black hole. I really enjoyed FantasyLand or whatever it was & waited for vol 2 only for it to be like the first title they announced dropping. MAYBE they should have taken a bit more of a slow & steady approach. As I said, they did ok at first, but then they flooded the market as it were, or maybe it was overtaxed their ability to cope with the manga & it all crashed.

Quote:
Quote:
Do you know just how kuch of that shojo you always bitch about from TP or Geneon only saw 1 volume released by ADV's manga division?

Yes, and Viz had to discontinue They Were 11, because of how they released it. So?

Ok, again as a whole. An awful lot of the manga ADV dropped was shojo. You're real good at trashing Geneon for releasing shojo crap. I would say ADV was just as deserving of running into trouble as you always seem to feel Geneon was.

Quote:
Quote:
I've always heard there isn't really "curse words" in Japanese.

There were in D. Gray Man.

1-D-Grey Man is a newer title. I have heard the Japanese VA's say English swear words in anime. I have heard dub studios (ADV in particular) insert swears that aren't indicated in the subtitles. It's interesting that the English dub will say "jackass" when the Japanese VA says "baka". Can we say the English scriptwriters are spicing things up? It's ok to alter the script if it's making the language saltier?

Isn't that just stupid pandering?

GATSU wrote:

ADV licensed mostly great titles.

Debutant Detective Corps?
BASTof Syndrome?
Devil Lady?
Supergals Season 1 was superior to Supergals Season 2?
Super Milk Chan
Yumeria?
Spectral Force?
Magical Play?
Cosplay Complex?
The Kenshin movies were superior to the series?
The Slayers movies were superior to the series?

GATSU wrote:

That wasn't my argument. I was saying Viz has more copies than are wanted on shelves; and thus they have to be repackaged.

I suspect if you checked those boxes, many of the books were past their first printings. It wasnt's unpopular titles that they bundled. It was not unlike box sets & anime--the run was complete on DN so it's a way to keep interest in the title. Bleach is already up there in volumes which might be daunting to many pocketbooks, so cut a deal on past volumes to interest buyers in future product.

GATSU wrote:

Now FUNimation is following their act.

Really? I get extras on the Funi sets I'm buying. Haven't really bought any singles outside of Geneon for a year or so.

Quote:
Quote:
Besides, if I'm reading the manga, why do I need liner notes for NHK?

Because there might be cultural jokes exclusive to the anime?

Let me see...Can I remember the number of jokes I caught in ADV titles that didn't make it into liner notes. I was particularly looking forward to an explanation to the Saint Seiya joke in Papuwa. I guess I didn't get it because ADV didn't include it in their liner notes.

GATSU wrote:

It was popular with people who had little taste.

Because the world revolves around you? Only things you like have value & everything else is crap?

Quote:
Quote:
I recognize some ADV titles on that list of AIC titles here on the encyclopedia.

Yes, but that's all that Geneon was selling back then, nothing else.

I enjoyed Dual & El Hazard. I thought they were Pioneer back then.

Quote:
Quote:
Why do you think you can have it both ways? Compassion for ADV but not for Geneon?

Because Geneon dicked ADV out of a distribution deal?

I saw it as ADV pulling the rug out from under Geneon. Geneon seemed to want to go on, but ADV backed out on them.

GATSU wrote:

But the older volumes of those titles were still in general availability when Yen license-rescued the series.

I see Yotsuba when I'm out & about (used manga shelves, etc.)[/quote]
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:12 am Reply with quote
CCS:
Quote:
It was cancelled-sorry-rescheduled so TP could launch a division to promote their titles to Hollywood as I recall.

And probably not a big seller, to boot.

Quote:
And who sez it's horses? They're actually mech

Mech-horses.

Quote:
Meybe you. I'm still pissed about 3X3 Eyes & Seraphic Feather.

Hell, I'd like YUA and Legend of Mother Sarah to get another shot. My point, though, is that no one's flaming DH the way they have with ADV.

Quote:
At least they made a effort to put out each title rather than just rush out 1 volume & then drop each of the titles into a black hole.

Well, they probably used Comics One as their example.

Quote:
An awful lot of the manga ADV dropped was shojo. You're real good at trashing Geneon for releasing shojo crap.

ADV probably dropped shojo, because it didn't sell as well as TP had hyped. It's no coincidence that this happened around the same time as the market correction, either. But Comics One dropped Deimos, and I don't see you criticizing them. OTOH, the company did license-rescue the Pet Shop of Horrors anime and re-release Tutu, even though it was one of their weaker sellers. As for Geneon, I don't consider dress-up-moe to be "shojo".

Quote:
I would say ADV was just as deserving of running into trouble as you always seem to feel Geneon was.

ADV didn't sell over-priced dvds they'd take forever to discount.

Quote:
I have heard dub studios (ADV in particular) insert swears that aren't indicated in the subtitles. It's interesting that the English dub will say "jackass" when the Japanese VA says "baka". Can we say the English scriptwriters are spicing things up? It's ok to alter the script if it's making the language saltier?

If it adds to the impact in the translation, sure. People swoon to Neil Gaiman, but they don't seem to find a problem with him turning some random negative comment about soup into an analogy of donkey piss. And I consider that to be further from the original intent of the writer(s) than a different take on a Japanese adjective, since the intonation might make it accurate, or at least in the same ball park.

Quote:
Debutant Detective Corps?
BASTof Syndrome?
Devil Lady?
Supergals Season 1 was superior to Supergals Season 2?
Super Milk Chan
Yumeria?
Spectral Force?
Magical Play?
Cosplay Complex?
The Kenshin movies were superior to the series?
The Slayers movies were superior to the series?

I said mostly, not all.

Quote:
I suspect if you checked those boxes, many of the books were past their first printings. It wasnt's unpopular titles that they bundled.

I didn't say they were unpopular. I said that Viz reached peak demand for said titles, and these are leftover books they're hoping to sell to newcomers.

Quote:
I get extras on the Funi sets I'm buying.

But not the FUNi releases of ADV shows.

Quote:
I was particularly looking forward to an explanation to the Saint Seiya joke in Papuwa. I guess I didn't get it because ADV didn't include it in their liner notes.

Not everyone-especially in N. America-knows about St. Seiya.

Quote:
Because the world revolves around you? Only things you like have value & everything else is crap?

No, it was dull as hell and people only watched it, because it had good production values-a sign of things to come.

Quote:
I enjoyed Dual & El Hazard. I thought they were Pioneer back then.

They were, but I'm going for the same company, not the same name.

Quote:
I saw it as ADV pulling the rug out from under Geneon. Geneon seemed to want to go on, but ADV backed out on them.

Yes, ADV would back out of a deal, even though it had a press release for it.

Quote:
I see Yotsuba when I'm out & about (used manga shelves, etc.)

But can you get them all in order anywhere?
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
LKK wrote:

According to AnimeVice News, this is a different manga with a similar name. The TokyoPop manga is by Haruko Iida while the manga announced today is called Crescent Moon Story and is by Hyouta Fujiyama.

All 18 titles at Baka manga from this artist are yaoi or shonen ai. I've enjoyed what DMP has released of her stuff.

One of the con reports I read mentioned that Crescent Moon Story was a yaoi / shounen-ai title. But I couldn't find the report a second time to reference as a source when I responded, so I didn't mention it. But I believe that Crescent Moon Story is yaoi / shounen-ai based on the Baka Manga bibliography info and the con report.

Just if anyone wants confirmation it is yaoi. I have this manga. The title in Japanese is Kagen no Tsukiyo no Monogatari and its pretty cracky. That is in a good way, its very funny.
EricDent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I realize that this is a bit old, but I asked someone at a comic store when they expected the Volume 6 of Yotsuba to come out. He proceded to look on Wikipedia, and it said September.

Why would it take so long to get out if it is translated allready (at least I think it is), since ADV was going to release it right before they started having problems (which was over 2 years ago).

Does anybody have any information on the release date of this?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, Yen Press is not ADV. I'd guess Yen Press is starting from scratch if it takes that long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7