• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Kuragehime, 2nd Heaven's Lost Property

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:26 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Well, if I'm not mistaken, that scene is from when spoiler[Haruhi had drugged Mikuru for a movie so that they could film a sexy scene, and someone really did need to snap her out of it.] That said, I'm pretty sure it was just a simple slap, not a full-on leave-a-welt-on-her-cheek punch. Ouch!

Oh, and einhorn, apparenty age vs given age is a matter of much debate in regards to female designs; a lot of girls are supposedly 16 but look like thyey're nine. Besides, I was responding mostly to your posts in a previous thread wherein you hoped a series about a 10-year old girl who has to devour semen would have more erotic content in the anime than in the manga. Just sayin'.

Anyway, bedtime for me, Kuragehime tomorrow! Thank you Funimation for your continuing commitment to bringing us the best anime time slot on TV!

Clearly haven't read the novel spoiler[Haruhi, Tsuruya, and Mikuru are all drunk. Haruhi is then trying to persuade Itsuki to take advantage of Mikuru. "Kyon", again (as when Mikuru is first intoduced), snaps and forcibly stops Haruhi.], it's the second time something like that happened, though he didn't hit her the first time.

It's not common for most characters to look too young like that, a single character in the show for most examples that came too mind. Or it's stylistic and everyone looks like that, including adult characters (you realy need the comparison to tell).
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:31 am Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
And yeah. "Summer Wars?" That anime movie about people living their lives on dem innernets? I didn't waste my time (or money) watching that either. Wink

Err, that's not what the movie is about at all... They explain the ability to do so as background information, but the majority of the characters aren't even shown using the internet --let alone living on it-- until the end of the movie. There's only two main characters that spend any significant amount of time on the internet, but not so much that they're living on it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Flower Mound, Texas (October 27, 2010) - FUNimation Entertainment, the leading distributor of Japanese animation in North America, announced today it will partner with Fuji Television for the exclusive U.S. online simulcast of the network's Noitamina block series “Princess Jellyfish.”

So unless Crunchyroll gets a deal to embed the Funimation feed for US viewers and stream the show themselves to other countries ... and, seriously, that will be the day .... doesn't look very much like it. Don't know why even Canada would be excluded.

{Maybe they got the message that if they can't get a higher than youtube quality stream into Canada, don't even bother picking up the streaming rights.}
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:45 am Reply with quote
I have to say I am very very disappointed in the events in this thread. As the rules state:

Teh Rules wrote:
4) Swearing is frowned upon. If you disagree with a poster, disagree respectfully, or do not disagree at all.

There was nearly a page worth of posts that had to be removed as the discussion had devolved in to little more than an effort to gang up on another user. Of course, that user didn't help by fanning the flames and failing to report the posts as well. On top of that a number of other posts also had quite a bit of their content devoted to this and they're lucky those posts weren't also removed outright.

You're going to run across people that you don't agree with and whose opinions may well severely clash with your own. However, you are still expected to maintain reasonable civility and definitely don't try to turn the discussion from the topic of the thread to a discussion of that users personality and habits as there's only one way things can go from there and that has no place on these boards. There should have been no question that a lot of the content of this discussion had gone beyond the confines of this threads purpose and the rules, so I have no idea why it continued to go on as it did but it's done as of now.

So get this back on topic and feel free to argue you the topic if you wish, but do not try and make it personal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As opposed to watching it on Crunchyroll? Huh?

I don't have any interest in it, but if putting it in front of people who get their streams from Hulu and YouTube generates royalties that pays the piece rate for an inbetween animator for another week, I'm happy that it is out there on multiple channels for the people that like that kind of thing.

Apparently, It doesn't count as "licensed" in my head unless somebody who can actually give me a DVD puts it out I guess. I just kind of totally blanked out that fact after working the night shift at work and then having class in the morning with no sleep. Confused
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Well I am definitely pleased that Funi licemsed Sora no Otoshimono as well as it's sequel before the dub killers Sentai / Section 23 get their hands on it.

Really curious on which VA will do who?

If it's as interesting as the other ecchi series Rosario to Vampire , it's one series i am keeping an eye on. However even if the english cast is predictable , I'll still going to get my hands on the series cause it's in my alley. Fanservice and lots of it. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Well I am definitely pleased that Funi licemsed Sora no Otoshimono as well as it's sequel before the dub killers Sentai / Section 23 get their hands on it.

If it's as interesting as the other ecchi series Rosario to Vampire , it's one series i am keeping an eye on. However even if the english cast is predictable , I'll still going to get my hands on the series cause it's in my alley. Fanservice and lots of it. :lol:

Don't you mean "licensed"? And hasn't Sentai went back and dubbed some of the series they licensed in the past? Also, don't you mean English?
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm more excited about Kuragehime than I have been about a (non-sequel) anime in a long time. I've watched the first episode and I just think it's really cool to see some more likely female otaku (instead of those who seem to just be serving as mirrors to male viewers' own interests). Kuragehime has a nice mix of girl nerds of varying fandoms and the end of ep01 has an intriguing (though not totally surprising) twist. I hope the rest of the series keeps it up because if it's as good as ep01 I'd definitely look forward to owning it on DVD.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

If it's as interesting as the other ecchi series Rosario to Vampire , it's one series i am keeping an eye on. However even if the english cast is predictable , I'll still going to get my hands on the series cause it's in my alley. Fanservice and lots of it. Laughing

Don't you mean "licensed"? And hasn't Sentai went back and dubbed some of the series they licensed in the past? Also, don't you mean English?

It's like I said. They have some of their licensed dubbed but only a small amount. the Rest are ADV and Pionner / Geneon rescues. The most I have seen are sub only.

Even long series like Gintama and Eyeshield 21 are getting the sub only treatment so yea. very rare when sentai announces they giving a series an english dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Quote:
As opposed to watching it on Crunchyroll? Huh?

I don't have any interest in it, but if putting it in front of people who get their streams from Hulu and YouTube generates royalties that pays the piece rate for an inbetween animator for another week, I'm happy that it is out there on multiple channels for the people that like that kind of thing.

Apparently, It doesn't count as "licensed" in my head unless somebody who can actually give me a DVD puts it out I guess. I just kind of totally blanked out that fact after working the night shift at work and then having class in the morning with no sleep. Confused
I'm much less worried about you typing while half asleep than possibly driving while half asleep.

I have a few series that I pay attention to whether its going to be available on DVD, but a much broader range where the difference between a stream and a DVD is whether I get it from Crunchyroll and Hulu or from Netflix. eg, I would have watched Ergo Proxy on Hulu, but there was only a dub, so I watched it via Netflix. So I only saw that Funimation was streaming the two, and didn't see that it was releasing one of them on second reading.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
redranger wrote:
A bunch of shit as usual for funimation.

Thanks for the support.

Lance Heiskell
Your Friendly and now Crappy and Smelly FUNimation Guy.

LOL, Nice comback Lance. That'll show him and oh you were awesome on the ANNcast. I'm looking forward for the release of the 2 anime. I support ya all the way.

Keonyn wrote:
There was nearly a page worth of posts that had to be removed as the discussion had devolved in to little more than an effort to gang up on another user. Of course, that user didn't help by fanning the flames and failing to report the posts as well. On top of that a number of other posts also had quite a bit of their content devoted to this and they're lucky those posts weren't also removed outright.

You're going to run across people that you don't agree with and whose opinions may well severely clash with your own. However, you are still expected to maintain reasonable civility and definitely don't try to turn the discussion from the topic of the thread to a discussion of that users personality and habits as there's only one way things can go from there and that has no place on these boards. There should have been no question that a lot of the content of this discussion had gone beyond the confines of this threads purpose and the rules, so I have no idea why it continued to go on as it did but it's done as of now.

So get this back on topic and feel free to argue you the topic if you wish, but do not try and make it personal.

Agreed, I've been reading this thread and I don't understand why people are getting mad over about. Geez, have people lost the meaning of being civilized.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Quote:
Flower Mound, Texas (October 27, 2010) - FUNimation Entertainment, the leading distributor of Japanese animation in North America, announced today it will partner with Fuji Television for the exclusive U.S. online simulcast of the network's Noitamina block series “Princess Jellyfish.”

So unless Crunchyroll gets a deal to embed the Funimation feed for US viewers and stream the show themselves to other countries ... and, seriously, that will be the day .... doesn't look very much like it. Don't know why even Canada would be excluded.

Us in the UK have queried Rob Pereyda a couple of times recently with regards to the possibility of CR getting worldwide rights to series that are being streamed elsewhere but only in North America (everything recent on TAN for example), but the US is so important at the moment that it wouldn't work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Us in the UK have queried Rob Pereyda a couple of times recently with regards to the possibility of CR getting worldwide rights to series that are being streamed elsewhere but only in North America (everything recent on TAN for example), but the US is so important at the moment that it wouldn't work.
That's why I specified cross-streaming the material to the US. With their own cross-stream, they can buy off the ads for US anime members, and so offer a benefit to their US subscribers as well.

Without a US stream at all, no, it doesn't work, even if the subtitle is available cheap.

And of course that means a three-cornered negotiation, which is a headache.

TAN is pursuing a distinct subscription model as a sidecar to a VOD cable channel, and finding a good fit with Crunchyroll's model seems like it would be really tricky ~ maybe impossible.

Viz has of course shared rights deals on two of their biggest series where it seems they get to use streams to promote their content, both anime and manga, and I would not be surprised if Crunchyroll pays them to subtitle it, as part of how they get the one week exclusive access to their anime subscribers. However subtitling costs are shared for those series, for a smaller title, like Bakuman, Crunchyroll might want a different formula.

But Viz has a streaming policy that seems even less agressive than TAN's one simulcast stream a season to as an extra benefit on what is primarily a catalog access subscription. If they are interested in Zero new simulcast streams in a given season, then a share of Zero doesn't go very far.

Nozomi does even less streaming than Viz, and there does not seem any way that simulcasts fits in their business model of picking series that have been passed over by everyone else that have a niche fandom to support a thinpack sub-only boxset. Its not until long after the season is over that its clear which series have been passed over by everyone else.

Hence Funimation. If Funimation's core business model when they get their coming subscription option up and running is offering subscribers access to the dubs, there's space in that model for sharing a simulcast with Crunchyroll, for series where Crunchyroll can add non-North American rights, somewhere in the general space of:
(1) Crunchyroll directly hosts wherever it obtained the rights outside of North America
(2) Crunchyroll embeds the Hulu stream as a Hulu partner for its free streaming to the US, which gives a small slice of streaming ad revenue and Hulu carries the streaming bandwidth costs
(3) For US members, either Crunchyroll embeds the Hulu stream under an ad-free system where Crunchyroll covers the normal ad revenue (less CR's partnership share), or Crunchyroll hosts the stream directly and pays royalties to Funimation
(4) For Canadian members, Crunchyroll would have to host the stream directly unless the revamped Funimation.com offers a higher quality stream to Canadian viewers, in which case embedding Funimation.com would be an option.
(5) And the normal shared streaming rights to all episodes until 30 days after the season ends terms that Crunchyroll seems to have hammered out with Kadokawa Pictures.

Its a bit complicated, further complicated by the fact that its a three corner deal and both other corners have to work out to make it worthwhile. There's obviously One title where it would be worthwhile pursuing for the prospect of it working out if there is only a small Piece of a chance of it working out, but for series smaller than that, it may be that pursuing titles that are not yet signed up is a more productive use of Rob Pereyda's time.

The only other plausible starting point for that kind of deal that occurs to me is the noitaminA block deal, which together with three from TV Tokyo and three from Kadokawa Pictures would give a base of 7 to 8 seasonal anime titles to start before the pursuit of individual deals begins.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm much less worried about you typing while half asleep than possibly driving while half asleep.

Nah, it's gotten way too cold for the motorcycle and ice forms in random spots on the streets overnight so it's also kind of dangerous. I use the bus during the latter part of fall and winter. My college has an agreement with the bus company so that it's students can ride the bus for free anywhere they want in the city.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7