• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Governor is Not a Mickey Mouse Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Exactly, there exists shades. Shades that obviously people on here do not comprehend because so many people are quick to point to the usual "Japan is racist and xenophobic" rhetoric. I mean, this was one right-wing politician who says he does not like Mickey Mouse (which is obviously not a sentiment shared by many Japanese), and suddenly this board starts exploding with the usual "Those racist Japan, how DARE they say something bad about America" type posts.

Seriously, in the past 2 years that I've visited this board whenever I hear about Japan, it's always "Japan is racist this and racist that and doesn't like China and doesn't like America and they're so bad and intolerant." And then all these armchair historians start going into their pseudo WWII lectures. I must have heard it hundreds of times (seriously, I don't even think your history professors spend this much time).

Not to say we should ignore the atrocities of Japan's past. I mean, there is racism and xenophobic in Japan. But I'm sick of the constant Japan-bashing, especially from people like you that like to sit on their high horse, and start lecturing, "Those racist Japanese, tssk tssk tssk." Is that not the narrow-minded extreme that you're lecturing me on?

Ummm, I don't think anyone was calling Japan racist, simply one man who happens to be Japanese. No other country is without their racists and nationalists and bigots in all shapes and sizes. Many people here have made comments along the lines of thanking that most Japanese are not like this individual.

I rarely see Japanese haters on this board, wouldn't that be somewhat self-defeating? If anything I see more overzealous Japanese fanboys than anything. Not to mention why would we ignore the atrocities of Japan's past? No one should, but neither should they ignore Japan's actions in the war, it does no one any good to ignore or focus on any part of history and I'm not telling anyone too or even doing so myself.

I don't see this Japan bashing you're talking about, instead I see a thread about one guy who had proven repeatedly that he is xenophobic, racist and a supremist but apparently it's wrong to point that out or dislike that aspect because he's Japanese? If I meet an American with the same attitude I dislike them all the same, what exactly is your point? This one guy is not Japan, he doesn't speak for all Japanese, so why is it peoples disgust over his attitude is considered as bashing and hating all Japanese? No one is doing so, no one is bashing Japan or Japanese, only one who's really bashing a culture so far is you with your initial anti-American comments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Usagi04

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:20 am Reply with quote
I really don't like the way this person says that about Mickey. He should learn to respect our animation since we respect theirs so much.
Emil Scherbe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote
Well I am troubled with reading these large quantity of English texts.

As a theoretically electorate person in Tokyo,
(actually lives other place in Japan)
I can guess their (electorate in Tokyo) attitudes.
They don't concern/interest in his statements about foreign related issue except if you are Left or Right Wings.
What they concerned is if he acts as real politican than
puppets/repersents of bureaucrats or just an incompetent or idiots like majority of other governers.
In a sence of this, he may be best governer in sevral decades in Tokyo though I never vote him.
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I really don't like the way this person says that about Mickey. He should learn to respect our animation since we respect theirs so much.

Yes, YOU respect Japanese animation, but MILLIONS of Americans don't. So don't expect Mr. Ishihara to accept the mouse anytime soon.
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Still, even if people like Ishihara were witness to the horrors of World War II, I doubt that gives him the right to blast other cultures, or to promote his own xenophobia, or to deny the atrocities that his own country have made.

Well I think it does. But do you know what. Neither you or me have been through what he was, so that clearly shows, that we do not know what he feels like. If he has issues with other countries than he should deal with it. And that is just what he is doing. I mean, how do you know if you wen thru the hell of the war that you wouldn't be EXACTLY the same as him? That's just it, you don't know...

Quote:
We've already heard our share of people who claim that the source of their overwhelming malice is from past traumas like these, and that the recurring nightmares of such incidents steadily shape them in each waking hour...but that hardly gives them any reason to be so outwardly bitter about matters they hardly know anything about, or aren't willing to see in full view.

Hey, that's right! But this doesn't apply to Mr. Ishihara. The LIVED thru the war. So I think he know enough about it. Now you and me, for an example, we are the ones who don't know what happened during the WW2. I mean, you weren't there, now were you? And no, neither was I.

Quote:
What I'm trying to get at here is that Ishihara may have his personal ghosts to deal with, but so do other people who have gone through the same hardships he has faced, if not worse.

Yup, i aggree.

Quote:
And the beauty of these people is they didn't hide from the world around them in their bigotry, or lash out at everything that barely resembled the object of their hatred...they grew up, and as harsh as the times they were in were to them, they turned out kinder.

Umm... Not really. There are lot's of old people in Japan today that still hate the countries they were in war with. They are just not in Mr. Ishihara's position. And that means that they don't have the oportunity to say what they feel like. He is the governer of Tokyo. And he clearly gets to be on TV and speak infront of a lot of people. And that way, he can be heard by everyone in Japan. But what is with others who cant say their story? So like I said, if he has issues, he should deal with them, and that is just what he is doing.

Quote:
Mr. Ishihara may have shown his dislike for a particular culture -quite dramatically I might add- but if you listen very carefully to his speech, and the other statements he has made before this, despite the fact he's an influential politician, all I really see is an old, scared little man who's too afraid to open his eyes.

And what do you think he is afraid of? I know his past speeches. And I know what he wants. He wants to rid Japan of bad foreign influence. Because let's face it. There are a lot of foreigners in Japan who are not acting the way they are supposed to. Do you know how much crime foreigners commit in Japan. A lot. If you were in his position, wouldn't you be the same? Wouldn't you want to get rid of those people, and make you country safer for your people?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:21 am Reply with quote
Well, shutting the country down for foreigners would also be economic suicide, and with the recent rise of China it would likely have an end result that's even worse. It's no different than the US, matter of fact the US's rate of crime from immigrants both illegal and legal is double that of Japan in percentages, primarily in California and Texas. Does that justify hatred of Mexico and their culture and statements of white supremacy? I don't think so, I'm sure some feel it does, but they're no better than Mr.Ishihara.

Besides, according the the last figures, admittedly dated 2003, over 80% of foreign crime in Japan were foreigners from other Asian nations. Another 10% from South America and only 1.5% from North America. It's possible that number has gone up, but I can't see a huge difference considering the steady pace of the numbers on an annual basis. So you can't really use that as a justification of racial hatred towards a country that is 1% of their problem where as the majority of crime in Japan is still domestic, especially gang related. Now it just seems like a somewhat desperate attempt to justify his racial prejudice. I'm sorry though, but crime in Japan isn't an exclusive import and there's no shortage of domestic criminals. It's sad that intolerance and prejudice and hatred has reached a point it is defended despite its obvious irrational origins and irrational direction.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, shutting the country down for foreigners would also be economic suicide, and with the recent rise of China it would likely have an end result that's even worse.

Are you serious? I mean, Japan is not really a big tourist destination you know? The Japanese economy is industry driven, and not tourism. Japan is not Hawaii... So removing the foreigners from Japan would result in almost no effect to economy at all.

Quote:
It's no different than the US, matter of fact the US's rate of crime from immigrants both illegal and legal is double that of Japan in percentages, primarily in California and Texas.

Yes, but USa is one of the most visited countries in the world. So isolating US is a totally different thing.

Quote:
Does that justify hatred of Mexico and their culture and statements of white supremacy?

No it does not. But I didn't see anywhere that Mr. Ishihara said: "I hate US culture". He only said that he hated the mouse, not the whole culture.

Quote:
Besides, according the the last figures, admittedly dated 2003, over 80% of foreign crime in Japan were foreigners from other Asian nations. Another 10% from South America and only 1.5% from North America. It's possible that number has gone up, but I can't see a huge difference considering the steady pace of the numbers on an annual basis. So you can't really use that as a justification of racial hatred towards a country that is 1% of their problem where as the majority of crime in Japan is still domestic, especially gang related. Now it just seems like a somewhat desperate attempt to justify his racial prejudice. I'm sorry though, but crime in Japan isn't an exclusive import and there's no shortage of domestic criminals. It's sad that intolerance and prejudice and hatred has reached a point it is defended despite its obvious irrational origins and irrational direction.

Yes, very nice but you can't look at it that way. This is the way you should look at it:

You see, crime is a very bad thing, I think we can all aggree on that. But even worse is the foreign crime. Now, as you have stated, te biggest domestic problem with crime in Japan is gang related. Well, that just shows you that we are here talking about organised crime. Not about everyday people who commit crime.

Foreigners who come to live or visit Japan are not related to gangs. They are ordinary people. Yet they commit crimes. The people who do so, are nothing else, than just bad people. And should not be allowed to enter Japan in the first place. So this shows you that these ordinary foreigners who came to Japan are really commiting more crime than ordinary Japanese. They are clearly a threat.

We should be clear now that they pose a larg threat to all Japanese citizens who just want to live their normal lives.

But still, that is not all. You see, even if the ordinary Japanese people were to commit more crime than foreigners, the foreigners should still not be allowed to enter Japan. Like I said, foreign crime is much worse than domestic crime. Because it clearly showes that that person has absolutly no respect for the country that he came to. Even if the foreign crime in Japan was much lower, it would still be a threat. Why?

Well easy. Because that is a crime that could have been prevented as easy as that! You just have to ban immigration to Japan and we have settled it all. Yet, the crime still exists. And the foreigners are free to come to Japan and commit crime. Do you really think that nothing should be done?

And ofcourse, nobody tried to use crime as a tool to hate another country here. Im just saying that Mr. Ishihara has issues and he tries to deal with them. And lets be honest. Americans doing crimes in Japan, no matter how small amount, is not helping repair the US image in Mr. Ishiharas eyes, right?
lazuline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Hell, Ishihara is flat out racist and sexist. Sometimes I wonder how he was elected.

well, when you're just a figure-head, you can be a loser.

lol, you could just as easily say

"Hell, Bush is flat out racist and sexist. Sometimes I wonder how he was elected"

I'm not going to waste my time on saying anthing more...

--begun, these flame wars have.--
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Japan has a great deal of tourism, I'm not sure where you get your facts from but it's a huge tourist destination, not only that but a major hub for a foreign workforce which is where the bulk of the crime problem lies.

Shutting a nation down has major implications, if you decline tourism you raise the cost of business because a lot of trade laws and domestic travel laws are directly connected.

The end result is that despite a rise in foreign crime the bulk of crime in Japan is still internal and the end result would be negligible, and the loss of foreign income from both consumers and businesses, not to mention the effect of placing a xenophobic label on the nation, would have a significant impact on their economy. Japan's major internal crime problem is gang related, yes, but that is hardly the bulk of it and overall murder, rape and especially theft are a rising problem in Japan domestically. Sorry, but it's not simply foreigners causing problems and overall foreign crime is still a small percentage of the whole.

The world in this day and age simply can not be shut out, and with tied economic markets any nation would destroy themselves by adopting a xenophobic policy. Every nation could eliminate the probability of crime in their borders by shutting down tourism and immigration, but the ripple effect would be significant and could drastically effect the economy and their status in the global market. In the end it could cause poverty, squallor, and increase domestic crime.

None the less, Mr.Ishihara could use some perspective, while a minor percentage of American citizens (and that figure is North America) commit crimes within Japanese borders, American citizens also equate a much larger percentage of their tourism and immigration than their total foreign crime. Mr.Ishihara does indeed have issues to deal with, but it's a doctor he'll have to see to deal with them, this isn't just about a guy who hates a cartoon mouse but a guy who has some serious racial and nationalistic hatred that's been incredibly apparent in no shortage of cases.

And Iazuline, I do agree, I'm no fan of George Bush myself :p
vickeyv

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I think he was comparing it on a scale basis as in it lags behind other major tourist countires like say Singapore, Japan is more expensive right so i think its logical to assume it won't be in the leaders in tourism, i don't really have facts and stuff but i do know this much that there are more hustling places for Tourism than Japan.

I have noticed people are jumping to conclusion in calling the man a racist, cmon he perfectly gave a reason why he hates Mickey mouse, and its pretty sound. THe artistic features to popularity ratio it gets is sorta weird. Like i have seen much better chatacters than Mickey mouse.
Its the same offense in calling some one else a racist if you don't have tangable proof.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote
hrtrunks wrote:
And what do you think he is afraid of? I know his past speeches. And I know what he wants. He wants to rid Japan of bad foreign influence. Because let's face it. There are a lot of foreigners in Japan who are not acting the way they are supposed to. Do you know how much crime foreigners commit in Japan. A lot. If you were in his position, wouldn't you be the same? Wouldn't you want to get rid of those people, and make you country safer for your people?

Often I would think that it's some of our military boys (primarily sailors) who will act immature and think they can act the same over there like they can over here. Laws and culture are so different that there's no way you can do that. They don't take the time to think or read the rules that the Japanese have laid out which gets them into trouble and makes more Japanese not like Americans.
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually, Japan has a great deal of tourism, I'm not sure where you get your facts from but it's a huge tourist destination, not only that but a major hub for a foreign workforce which is where the bulk of the crime problem lies.

What? Hey, just because a lot of us here like Japan, and see it as a cool place, and would ofcourse want to go there, that doesn't mean that other people want that. Japan has somewhere around 5 million tourists per year. That is almost nothing. Compared to:

France - 75,500,000 million tourists
USA - 50,900,000
Spain - 48,200,000
Italy - 41,200,000
China - 31,200,000

Now you see, those are the countries that profit highly from tourism, and not Japan. So if those countries didn't allowe tourists, now THAT would be a blow to the economy. Not Japan's 5 million visitors a year.

Quote:
Shutting a nation down has major implications, if you decline tourism you raise the cost of business because a lot of trade laws and domestic travel laws are directly connected.

Now this is something COMPLETLY different. I never said that Japan should shut itself from the world completly. It is only the tourists who shouldn't be allowed to go there. The diplomats would ofcourse be OK. And the people who are needed for overseas deals and trade. But no, the foreigners who want to live in Japan should not be allowed to. Now, that I think has nothing to do with economy, right?

Quote:
The end result is that despite a rise in foreign crime the bulk of crime in Japan is still internal and the end result would be negligible, and the loss of foreign income from both consumers and businesses, not to mention the effect of placing a xenophobic label on the nation, would have a significant impact on their economy. Japan's major internal crime problem is gang related, yes, but that is hardly the bulk of it and overall murder, rape and especially theft are a rising problem in Japan domestically. Sorry, but it's not simply foreigners causing problems and overall foreign crime is still a small percentage of the whole.

This here list is for the year 2003. It shows how much crime which nationality has done in Japan.

Chinese (0.428%)
Brazilians (0.351%)
Japanese (0.291%)
Russians (0.271%)
Philippinos (0.101%)
Thais (0,051%)
Koreans (0.024%)
Britons (0.021%)
Americans (0.016%)

You can clearly see that Chinese and Brazilians are above Japanese in crime rates. But you also must understand that those who are below Japan in crime are still WORSE than Japanese. It is because there is a lot of organised crime in Japan among the total crime of Japanese. Do you understand this. The Yakuza are the people who are there to do crime! The ordinary people are not so bad to commit crimes. But among the foreigners, there is no organised crime, they are just bad people who are criminals and should be deported.

And I already said, the economic loss from tourism would be almost non existant.

As for the "xenophobic mark": Well, don't people think of Japan as xenophobic already? Plus, what does that have to do with Japanese and they everyday life anyway? I mean, peoples opinion from another countries don't really have much effect on Japanese anyway. I mean, you live in the US, right? Now let's say someone from Holland thinks that the US is a country that goes around the world killing innocent people for their profit. Like Iraq, for an example. Would your life change? Or would you simply say: "Who gives a crap what you think people!" And you would simply continue with your everyday life...

Quote:
None the less, Mr.Ishihara could use some perspective, while a minor percentage of American citizens (and that figure is North America) commit crimes within Japanese borders, American citizens also equate a much larger percentage of their tourism and immigration than their total foreign crime. Mr.Ishihara does indeed have issues to deal with, but it's a doctor he'll have to see to deal with them, this isn't just about a guy who hates a cartoon mouse but a guy who has some serious racial and nationalistic hatred that's been incredibly apparent in no shortage of cases.

Yes, but it is still crime, anyway you look at it. A crime that can easily be prevented.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
It's not too easily prevented, and it's apparent you still don't fully understand law and economics. It's a bit much to get into here so I simply recommend you possibly look into some economics courses and a few social studies electives on modern culture.

Either way, it's a pretty much safe bet that those in the know and in control are not going to make that move and if anything what Japan should be focusing on more than anything is the corruption in their own law enforcement which is pretty well known by now.

It's a pointless argument at this point so I'm not going to take this any further, if anything, to assist the mods who I'm sure are tired of it at this point. Not to mention it's a futile argument going over such things regarding an incredibly complex economic system and industry and market when the other end is closed to it and doesn't recognize the ripple effect. Comparing tourism to the top tourist destinations in the world is pointless, because you have to compare that to the economy and market and so on and so on.

Either way, to the focus of the thread in general. The guy is a recognized racists, nationalist, among other things. He has the right to say it, he has the right to his opinion, but we have the right to recognize him for what he is as well. This isn't about numbers and economics because the people in charge of that nation know more than you and I, despite my career, they make the choices and they seem to think tourism and immigration is the right one. It would simply take too long to go through every ripple, and if you think it would just be as simple as an on and off switch and the ripples would be minor you really need to take up a course on it and understand it, otherwise it would just be a waste of my time.
hrtrunks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's not too easily prevented, and it's apparent you still don't fully understand law and economics. It's a bit much to get into here so I simply recommend you possibly look into some economics courses and a few social studies electives on modern culture.

If you don't let people in, than they won't commit crimes. It's as simple as that. What's there more to say?
And as for economics. Well, like I said. Just because people from the country A won't be allowed to visit country B, doesn't mean the the politicians from the country A will want to stop the bussieness with country B. Because both countries have a lot of economic ties. (Japan and US.)

Quote:
Either way, it's a pretty much safe bet that those in the know and in control are not going to make that move and if anything what Japan should be focusing on more than anything is the corruption in their own law enforcement which is pretty well known by now.

We'llleave them to decide what they want to deal with next. But it is clear they will not ban tourists. not because of the "xenophobia mark" or the economic ties. But because of the way Japanese trie to be a part of the world. Which is what their governmaent has been doing ever since 19th century.

Quote:
Comparing tourism to the top tourist destinations in the world is pointless, because you have to compare that to the economy and market and so on and so on.

I'm just saying that Japan's economy would not lose much if they banned foreigners. Because Japan's economy DOES NOT benefit a lot from tourists in the first place.

Quote:
Either way, to the focus of the thread in general. The guy is a recognized racists, nationalist, among other things. He has the right to say it, he has the right to his opinion, but we have the right to recognize him for what he is as well.

Yes, to each his own.

Quote:
This isn't about numbers and economics because the people in charge of that nation know more than you and I, despite my career, they make the choices and they seem to think tourism and immigration is the right one.

Obviously. Like any other country in the world. Japan tries to have more tourists. But than again, that doesn't mean that the are good at it.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
hrtrunks wrote:
Quote:

What? Hey, just because a lot of us here like Japan, and see it as a cool place, and would ofcourse want to go there, that doesn't mean that other people want that. Japan has somewhere around 5 million tourists per year. That is almost nothing. Compared to:

France - 75,500,000 million tourists
USA - 50,900,000
Spain - 48,200,000
Italy - 41,200,000
China - 31,200,000

Now you see, those are the countries that profit highly from tourism, and not Japan. So if those countries didn't allowe tourists, now THAT would be a blow to the economy. Not Japan's 5 million visitors a year.

Actually, those figures are absolutes, and therefore misleading. A more correct picture is given by comparing to population, i.e. tourist arrivals per capita.

The world record holder here is tiny San Marino, with over 18000 visiting tourists per 1000 citizens per year. That's right: more than 18 tourists per citizen.

Disregarding for a moment tiny countries (whose statistics are easily skewed), let's look at thos nations you mentioned.

France - 1109.7 tourist arrivals per 1000 citizens per year (world rank #18)
USA - 161.5 tourist arrivals per 1000 citizens per year (world rank #60)
Spain - 1072.2 tourist arrivals per 1000 citizens per year (world rank #19)
Italy - 586.7 tourist arrivals per 1000 citizens per year (world rank #27)
China - 18.2 tourist arrivals per 1000 citizens per year (world rank #116)

Now, comparing Japan's tourism with its population, we get:

Japan - 33.1 tourist arrivals per 1000 citizens per year

Granted, Japan isn't a major tourist target (they rank #101 in the world for tourism per capita), but they still see considerably more tourists per capita than China.

My own nation of Denmark, incidentally, ranks at #43, with 397.3 tourist arrivals per 1000 citizens per year.

hrtrunks wrote:
I never said that Japan should shut itself from the world completly. It is only the tourists who shouldn't be allowed to go there. The diplomats would ofcourse be OK. And the people who are needed for overseas deals and trade. But no, the foreigners who want to live in Japan should not be allowed to. Now, that I think has nothing to do with economy, right?

As demonstrated by the figures above, it has quite a bit to do with the economy. Not only that, it is naïve to think that shutting one's borders to tourists could be done without economic repercussions not related to the tourist industry.

But the bottom line is that it would be wrong, not from economic reasons, but because any nation doing so would expose itself to the world as a barbarous, uncivilized nation. When was the last time you heard North Korea mentioned in a positive regard?

hrtrunks wrote:
This here list is for the year 2003. It shows how much crime which nationality has done in Japan.

Chinese (0.428%)
Brazilians (0.351%)
Japanese (0.291%)
Russians (0.271%)
Philippinos (0.101%)
Thais (0,051%)
Koreans (0.024%)
Britons (0.021%)
Americans (0.016%)

I can't find a source to support these crime rate figures, and you do not mention whether these are percentages of reported crimes in total, or whether they are relative to the number of each ethnicity. Assuming they are base percentages (i.e. percentages of total reported crime), I agree that the figures seem to show that Chinese and Brazilians are more apt to be involved in reported crime in Japan. However, I question the reliability of the statistics, because I know how the Japanese justice system works. If the system were unbiased, the statistics would be meaningful --- but it isn't, and they are not. They serve only to support a prejudice already inherent in the system:

Foreigners are criminals.
How do we know this?
Well, because we arrest them when crime is reported, and they confess.
How do we know they did it?
They confess.
How do we know that the confessions are reliable?
They are never overturned.
Why are they never overturned?
Because the system assumes that they are valid.
Why does the system assume they are valid?
Because foreigners are criminals.

hrtrunks wrote:
You can clearly see that Chinese and Brazilians are above Japanese in crime rates. But you also must understand that those who are below Japan in crime are still WORSE than Japanese. It is because there is a lot of organised crime in Japan among the total crime of Japanese. Do you understand this. The Yakuza are the people who are there to do crime! The ordinary people are not so bad to commit crimes. But among the foreigners, there is no organised crime, they are just bad people who are criminals and should be deported.

I think this is the most brilliantly absurd piece of rabid xenophobic nonsense I've ever seen.

"The Yakuza are the people who are there to do crime!"

So it's all right to be criminals, if one belongs to the proper group of Japanese, whose place in society is to be criminal? And this sort of crime doesn't count (and, one would presume, probably isn't reported accurately in the "official" statistics), because it is socially accepted -- whereas a foreigner in Japan is automatically suspect. "Ordinary" Japanese don't commit crime, because they aren't "bad". Foreigners commit crime because they are "bad".

hrtrunks wrote:
And I already said, the economic loss from tourism would be almost non existant.

As already demonstrated, you are wrong. Granted, tourism is not a major industry, yet, but it is one of the growing aspects of the service sector, even in times of recession. That's not a negligible economic factor.

hrtrunks wrote:
As for the "xenophobic mark": Well, don't people think of Japan as xenophobic already?

So if someone accuses me of having a predilection for theft, I should go rob a bank to prove them right?

Might as well, eh? "If you're going to have the name, might as well have the game."

hrtrunks wrote:
Plus, what does that have to do with Japanese and they everyday life anyway? I mean, peoples opinion from another countries don't really have much effect on Japanese anyway. I mean, you live in the US, right?

No, not all of us in this forum live in the US, but never mind - I see the point you were trying to make.

hrtrunks wrote:
Now let's say someone from Holland thinks that the US is a country that goes around the world killing innocent people for their profit. Like Iraq, for an example. Would your life change? Or would you simply say: "Who gives a crap what you think people!" And you would simply continue with your everyday life...

Oh dear.

I find myself having to use an argument with you that I normally reserve for my 9-year-old, when one of his playmates has managed to involve him in bad behaviour (it happens). I usually ask him if he'd do what the other kids say, even if it was something patently stupid, like jumping off a bridge.

"So if George Bush thinks it's okay to treat other countries like his own personal property, and the world rightly points out that this isn't really nice.... you think it's okay for Japan to kick all foreigners out?"

Honestly.... Rolling Eyes

- abunai
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8