• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Free!, Robot Carnival, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:

Discotek from what I hear usuall does on-disc extras so hopefully Arpeggio has that.

They include extras for some of their movies but from what I hear their series releases are even more barebones than Sentai. I hope they at least include the textless op and ed.
Especially with packaging, inside artwork is a no-go for them usually. As black as Sentai's insides.
http://i.imgur.com/IZvjUfB.jpg -They usually do a good job with disc art as I hear. This is just an exception to that.

I'm hoping maybe, just maybe with how Discotek is now getting bigger they will start including inside artwork, and maybe offering nicer sets like limited editions? I wouldn't mind paying extra for nicer releases from them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Nice! Robot Carnival is really cool. I'm very glad to see it finally made available here. And Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust is a no brainer even as a double dip. That movie would look great on BD.

My thoughts exactly. I have been wondering for some time now is Bloodlust would ever get the BR treatment. After seeing Ninja Scroll and other older movies, older than Bloodlust, get the BR upgrade I had remained hopeful this would eventually happen. This is a definite double dipper title for sure. I'll probably even keep the DVD around just for memories sake.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
These goons ruined Free! I honestly love season 1 better than season 2 and these retards can only manage a DVD-subtitle release.....just give the damn show to funimation for a dub and a blu ray release.

Hey! Don't call Discotek goons or retards! They work their butts off to give us fans anime! Who's to say it won't get a dub in the future? If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Mad
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Really amazed by Discotek getting all these anime licenses, nice one. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Mad

This is not even remotely how feedback works.

Not that I agree with the comments made. Though it is ridiculous that two different licensors have two different parts of the same show at the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Discotek is certainly going to be making a lot of BL/fujoshi/yaoi fans happy with Free!
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
^^^ not really. Most of the ones I know are not happy with the way it is being handled.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
^^^ not really. Most of the ones I know are not happy with the way it is being handled.

Since I'm not into this genre, how was it handled that various people are not happy about it?
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
DVD only. Subtitle only.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
At least all those people angry about the casting of Vic M. (in Free) can have that sub only (not supporting him) release they were clamoring for, for the first season at least.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
FireChick wrote:
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Mad

This is not even remotely how feedback works.

Not that I agree with the comments made. Though it is ridiculous that two different licensors have two different parts of the same show at the same time.

Not the first time it's happened. Same thing happened with Saiyuki. Though I agree it is rather confusing to say the least.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
These goons ruined Free! I honestly love season 1 better than season 2 and these retards can only manage a DVD-subtitle release.....just give the damn show to funimation for a dub and a blu ray release.

I suspect they plan to, hence the comment.
Discotek's an archeologist, not a dubber, and they don't produce dubs.

(Although they go out of their way to include existing dubs that have already been produced, which may be the case for Cagliostro and 70's features, but not for Free. Which it isn't.)
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, was not expecting Discotek to get so many big and classic titles, particularly Free!, which might have the most screwy licensing this side of Macross (sorry fans, particularly for that lack of dub and BD upfront). Older titles and classics aside, this sounds more like a mix of Sentai and FUNimation pickups. What has been going on at Discotek that has enabled them to make major plays like Free!, Arpeggio, and Strike the Blood? I certainly welcome the step-up of another distributor to lessen the monopoly, but I sincerely hope that they'll also step-up their efforts to dub and produce BDs of more major titles, as well (though they have been better on the latter end).
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:

Given that fans here only care about price, I'm surprised at the complaints. You're (non-specific) getting a cheap release, isn't that all you want?!

If you wanted Funi to get Free! S1, you should've hoped they wouldn't have spent so much on streaming this past season as well as undercutting Crunchy on subscriptions. They continued to pressure Crunchy on the home video rights and got burned as a result. Truthfully, given the utter lack of consideration Funi has towards other companies (even the ones they license from), I'm shocked anyone still works with them now. (for reference, Funi attempted to release two cheap releases from Kadokawa in months Kadokawa had already solicited releases in Japan for. Kadokawa got pissed and that's why Funi has to wait a longer period to release Kadokawa shows on BD now.)

Actually the more entitled fans on here want their blu-ray and dub, and they don't want to pay market prices for these luxaries(apparently Index and Railgun were disappointing in sales due to entitled fans holding out for a blu-ray). I think they should be thanking Discotek for releasing it(I mean they aren't some fly by night company like that horrible S'more and they will be released as mentioned with prices that are competitive with Funimation).

And yes, Funimation certainly made sure that CR would never allow them to get season 1. (Yeah I wouldn't be surprised that Funi managed to anger Kadokawa by disrespecting them like that).
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Actually the more entitled fans on here want their blu-ray and dub

Entitled? Not really. Pragmatic, yes. What logic is there in spending twenty bucks for a product that looks better streaming for pennies?

In my group, the lack of BD is the most distressing issue here. This is a group of women who not only pay for the AoA releases they like, but also import and spend Japan asking price plus shipping.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10