• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - Wanna Go To Tokyo In 3 Days?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Just to set the record straight, as I doubt this thread will continue, I agree with Psycho 101 that we shouldn't get into rabid sexism land (I didn't start it).

No offense but you say that yet continue with a post on the subject anyways. Whether or not it's meant as a clarification, apology, or whatever else I did say to get back on topic and avoid this subject as this thread is not the place for it. The same goes for you Agent355. I am trying to be nice here guys and keep it light but continuing the discussion in any form right after I said to please stop it does not help. So consider this a more stern "stop this now or further posts will be deleted" warning. I really don't want to have to say anything a third time and get grumpy. Thank you.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I also noticed in that article that Japan apparently has a very low English proficiency rating. I wonder how that happens when it's long been fashionable to have stuff written in their own interpretation of English, resulting in massive quantities of Engrish present there.
Knowing a few people who lived in Japan, they say the Japanese popularly regard everything English as better (than Japanese) and "cool" so advertisements, songs, etc. will have seemingly random English words or phrases thrown in. The ads have to be mostly in Japanese because, according to a poster on a previous article, many people there only get a year or so of English in high school which they promptly forget. The randomness and Engrish comes mostly from that I think. Having experienced what happens in China regarding learning English myself, Engrish also comes from people learning from others who aren't really proficient or don't actually speak English or possibly have never heard the actual spoken English words they are trying to use. Same goes double for grammar and syntax, which is where much WTF comes from such as using "Algernon" (a person's name) for the name of a viral disease in Betterman. Maybe "gundam" too as supposedly derivative of "gun".

That makes sense; I had the impression that using English is fashionable in some way. And when you can't tell good English from bad English, you'll never know if your translator did a bad job. Not that it really matters, since they're not aimed at native English readers.

I remember there being some campaign by the Chinese government to try to remove Engrish from popular tourist locations. The official in charge was talking about how foreigners poke fun at it, but looking at how Engrish.com entries from China have actually increased, that initiative doesn't seem to have done them any good.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
And sometimes the translator is just plain out of the office.

---

EDIT: Thinking on it, I'll just let it stand.

{Mod Edit: That's a wise choice. I already saw what you posted and was literally in the middle of editing your post myself and sending you a direct PM warning to listen to the staff. I said no more posts on the subject, clarifications or otherwise. Twice. Thirty seconds slower on your edit and this would be going much differently. ~ Psycho 101}
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:45 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
This is why localization of anime and video games to general audiences change names, remove Japanese cultural references, and otherwise pass themselves to try to be as western as they can. People question why Takeshi's onigiri is changed to Brock's donut or why all the Digidestined have western names--people like them are the reason why, and as can be seen with all these anecdotes, there are a LOT of them.

Other than Yagami changing to Kamiya and Jou to Joe, all the first series digidestined kept their names, albeit with some westernised nicknames: http://digimon.thenexxus.org/stuff/dub/
Then there's oddities like Tailmon (english) becoming Gatomon (spanish) and Fairymon (english) becoming Kazemon (Japanese) in the dub...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7