• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New ANN Launches in a Few Hours!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The layout is too big, a lot of people don't surf with giant 1024 displays and I HATE being unable to see an entire page.

Never thought I'd see the day again that 1024 was considered giant. 1024x768 has been pretty much standard for years now, 640x480 really isn't even supported any longer and 800x600 is considered the lowest res. Regardless, as tempest has mentioned there is a skin being made for 800x600 so that won't be a problem for too long.

One thing I noticed was when I was viewing a few articles it was reported on the discuss link that there was only 1 post, when one was the answerman column and I know there's more than 1 post in that thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bluepita

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I like the new layout so far. Although it doesn't feel as 'comfy' as the old one, I like a lot of the changes. I can compromise...really.

However, someone earlier mentioned the copyright info and various ANN links on the right hand side of the page, and I have to say those are driving me nuts. Unless I scroll to the right, I just see the first few letters. It's a distraction and a bit annoying. Maybe those would go better on the bottom of the page if they can't fit comfortably to the side?? Even if I scroll over, the cramped feel and the fact that they are a slightly different blue than the background is distracting. My eye is just drawn there.

Other than that, I think the site looks good. Looking forward to the different skins, but this clean look is good for me too.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
It needs some chibi characters.

I agree. Chibi's are cool(And cute).

By the way, where's the Top 50s list? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Cool, i just noticed the "Contributors" thing under the encyclopedia, im at the BOTTOM!!! YES!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Shonen Bat wrote:
By the way, where's the Top 50s list? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Click on the encylcopedia tab and then you should find the top 10 list under "anime."

Edit:
The only thing I'm not really liking so far about the new layout is the smaller text that makes things noticeably harder for me to read now. The rest of the changes seem to be at least a minor improvement and I guess I kind of like it.
bluepita

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh My God, my eyes have been assaulted. What the heck happened? I've been here several times today, but now half the page is an ad for Coyote Ragtime Show, a bright red ad to be exact. I don't like that at all. If this is the kind of ad we have to look forward to, I wish I never complained in my head about the old corner ad.

Can I make this go away??
coffee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if it was adressed yet, but when the forum tab is selected it covers over some of the ANN logo to the left of it. I'm diggin the return of something on the left side, even if it is an ad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, hopefully we'll have themes to choose from soon so we aren't stuck with the Coyote Ragtime Show all over the place. It does give me hope though because it shows that the blandness of the new system really can be covered up by a theme, and effectively too. As for the ad portion of it, well, if any of you want to start paying for the site I'm sure they'd be happy to run it banner free. Websites aren't free, they're actually quite expensive to run and support any amount of traffic, you may complain now but if you look at what the alternatives are(paid services) I'd bet the complaints would subside a bit. At any rate, considering how much they probably paid to get the license for this current software and the upgrades to run it I'd bet it's not going to go away.

If it's one thing I've noticed in my years of forum surfing on the web it's that any site layout on any site anywhere is always met with loads of resistance. Forums become a habit and people don't like change in that habit. Kudos to the ANN staff for sticking it out, although a bit of a word about this new apparent theme would be nice. Primarily as in if ad based site layouts are going to be the norm or if we can expect themes and common layouts again.
adonais

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh My God, my eyes have been assaulted. What the heck happened? I've been here several times today, but now half the page is an ad for Coyote Ragtime Show, a bright red ad to be exact. I don't like that at all. If this is the kind of ad we have to look forward to, I wish I never complained in my head about the old corner ad.

Can I make this go away??

My god, yes. Decoration is fine, but, have some mercy!

You guys getting kickbacks or something?

I seriously hope you're just experimenting with the skin functionality...
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:17 am Reply with quote
I’m usually very tolerant of ads, but… there is a line that shouldn’t be crossed. Right now, I’m looking at a big top banner, a huge boxy ad to the right, and a gigantic ugly Coyote Ragtime Show ad all over my screen. ANN’s content is about 40% of what I’m looking at, and everything else is an ad. This is crazy, and frankly looks really messy and unprofessional. I'm hoping it’s only temporary.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
adonais wrote:
You guys getting kickbacks or something?

Isn't that the whole point of a paid ad? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Emerje
bluepita

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
It's not the fact that it's an ad or that it's huge. For me, it's the glaring brightness of it. However, on the thread in the Talkback section, Dan said they will try to get something like a skin up for those of us who just can't take it. For my part, if I could just tone down the colors a bit, I'd leave it up.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Personally I find it hard to read the forums with the text being so small, and also going through my anime it feels like it take forever to scroll through it.

Agreed. And personally, this may just be me, but I find the large anime characters on the left side to be an obnoxious distraction. And the fact that the entire left side of the site is now utterly wasted space, I find the new 'layout' for the information terribly annoying. The extra adds and the like aren't helping my opinions about this either.

I've truly very sorry to be so negative about this; truthfully I really wanted to like the new layout and was very excited to hear it would be changed, though I didn't think it'd be so drastic. Sadly, my hopes for liking this new look were dashed completely. I'm still faintly hoping I'll be able to accept this as there's a good chance it won't chance even though a lotta people feel the same way.

Is there a way we can have an option to use either the new or the old layout at our own decision? That'd be a dream come true, so that way-- everyone can be satisfied!
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:
I’m usually very tolerant of ads, but… there is a line that shouldn’t be crossed. Right now, I’m looking at a big top banner, a huge boxy ad to the right, and a gigantic ugly Coyote Ragtime Show ad all over my screen. ANN’s content is about 40% of what I’m looking at, and everything else is an ad. This is crazy, and frankly looks really messy and unprofessional. I'm hoping it’s only temporary.

You're acting as if this is the first full-skin ad that ANN has run. It's not the first, and it probably won't be the last. And at least it's better looking than those ugly yellow and read Fuccons ads.

To be completely honest, I kind of prefer the new layout with this ad here. It fills in a lot of the empty space. The standard version of the new layout just feels like something is missing.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:31 am Reply with quote
I was a bit startled when I just logged back on to see the red color. I like the designs of the CRS girls though...**sigh** Great...another show that I might be tempted to buy. Rolling Eyes

The one thing that I had hoped to go away with the new format is the double notifications of new posts on threads we are watching. I'm still getting double notices. Not that it's really a hardship mind you, since Yahoo makes it easy to delete unwanted posts...but it is a small bit of a pain.

EDIT: I noticed something else. In the Comments of My Anime, when using the regular font size, the part of the comments on the right side are cut off by the right side info banners.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9