• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Assassination Classroom season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but is there a reason that Koro-sensei can't just zip off into the far reaches of space at super speed to explode harmlessly in the void?

While there may be deeper reasons for his not doing so, the primary reason is likely he can't go fast enough. He can go up to Mach 20, but the escape velocity from earth is Mach 33.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
That's not what escape velocity means. As long as he can continue his propulsive force, whatever the source of that is, he would eventually escape earth's gravity. If he stopped flying, and wasn't at escape velocity when he did so, then yes, he would fall back to earth. Also, if for some reason his flight depends on the atmosphere or something prevents him flying in space, I'm sure NASA would've been willing to hook him up with a rocket.

As for the moment though, I think he wants to keep teaching the kids as he promised. If killing him will stop the earth's destruction, he might well submit to anti-him attacks at the last minute, if he can, i.e., his reflexes don't act on their own in self-defense.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That's not what escape velocity means. As long as he can continue his propulsive force, whatever the source of that is, he would eventually escape earth's gravity. If he stopped flying, and wasn't at escape velocity when he did so, then yes, he would fall back to earth. Also, if for some reason his flight depends on the atmosphere or something prevents him flying in space, I'm sure NASA would've been willing to hook him up with a rocket.

As for the moment though, I think he wants to keep teaching the kids as he promised. If killing him will stop the earth's destruction, he might well submit to anti-him attacks at the last minute, if he can, i.e., his reflexes don't act on their own in self-defense.

No, that force has to accelerate him to the escape velocity. If it can't do that he can't leave the earth's gravity. What else is escape velocity but the minimum speed needed to escape from the gravity of a body? That's why in mecha shows during reentry battles the mechs can't just propel themselves up once they are caught in in the earth's gravity.

He could certainly hitch a ride on a rocket though.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
He can go up to Mach 20, but the escape velocity from earth is Mach 33.

He doesn't need to go to escape velocity. He just needs to get far enough away to isolate the explosion. If he has to go further to he can carry a booster rocket to high atmosphere and and ride it out. I don't think we know yet but I suspect vacuum would be fatal anyway so no explosion in that case although I haven't understood why antimatter would lose its energy-releasing properties just because his heart stopped. Oh, well. Anime.

I have wondered this myself since the start. He is willing to take any risk to protect any individual student, but seems ok with blowing up the lot of them together.

Was anyone else a little creeped out by the first appearance of his trademark grin?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
He can go up to Mach 20, but the escape velocity from earth is Mach 33.

He doesn't need to go to escape velocity. He just needs to get far enough away to isolate the explosion. If he has to go further to he can carry a booster rocket to high atmosphere and and ride it out. I don't think we know yet but I suspect vacuum would be fatal anyway so no explosion in that case although I haven't understood why antimatter would lose its energy-releasing properties just because his heart stopped. Oh, well. Anime.

I have wondered this myself since the start. He is willing to take any risk to protect any individual student, but seems ok with blowing up the lot of them together.

Was anyone else a little creeped out by the first appearance of his trademark grin?

Judging that a rat undergoing the same thing blew up 2/3 of the moon, and that blast radius would be similar proportionally, he would probably need to leave low earth orbit. Probably would go at least as far as the moon to be safe. Again, a rocket is a viable option.

It does seem odd that death would stop the antimatter. It's not like it would disappear peacefully after he died.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
What else is escape velocity but the minimum speed needed to escape from the gravity of a body?

What you're missing in the concept is "without continuing propulsion." Since I don't feel like trying to explain it myself, I'll cheat and quote wiki (emphasis added): "A rocket moving out of a gravity well does not actually need to attain escape velocity to escape, but could achieve the same result (escape) at any speed with a suitable mode of propulsion and sufficient propellant to provide the accelerating force on the object to escape."
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
Leaving the undoubtedly highly fascinating escape velocity discussion aside for a minute Wink , the relationship between the Reaper and Aguri was a bit too cheesy for my taste. I understand that they had to put a year of development into roughly two episodes, so there was little room for subtlety, but it had me cringe a couple of times nonetheless...and as much as i'd like those kids to find a way to save Koro-sensei, at this point i don't really see how this is going to be possible without being a complete asspull.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Hey now, they might actually be related! If Koro-sensei gets his mach speed by running on internal matter/anti-matter engines (probably has some dilithium crystals thrown into the mix), then where the little caged mouse blew up when it reached critical mass or whatever, he's gradually exhausting his anti-matter supplies by zipping all over the world in pursuit of tasty snacks and such. So he won't actually blow up according to their calculations! Laughing

Aw, I thought the tentacles through the airholes was sweet.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Tonight: E Class - Civil War

Tomorrow: Captain America - Civil War
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Ep 17 review wrote:
Rating: B+

I ended up giving it 5 stars which I rarely do because I was so entertained. There were a number of things Jensen's review didn't cover:

* A new opening which was much better than the two before. The best openings were the kinetic ones from season 1.

* The conflict between K & N was built up perfectly. You can see where it came from and what it is and where it should go. Every character got a say which is not that remarkable but you could identify with each one which is.

* Lots of humor this episode. ("meat wall", "hey no butt cutting!", "I lost the battle of the Hinas!" ). Nagisa gets held like a little kid while two guys have to restrain Karma. I don't know why but I thought that scene with Hazama crawling through the underbrush was unbelievable hysterical.

* The display of paint-ball talent was flipping awesome with all the different techniques. There was some disappointment with some of the characters getting offed right out the gate but they only had a half episode. If Jensen's Jr High school tried trial-by-paintball I don't think it would have looked like this. Yet at the same time you could enjoy it because although the characters were exerting themselves you never have the feeling that they are making enemies out of each other.

* Is it just me or did Karma look and act a lot like his rival Asano there?

* Also interesting: Karasuma stating right out (to himself only) that even if the class sticks with the assassination they won't succeed. Where was that coming from?

One other reason the episode was so excellent is how they masterfully picked up the energy again after deliberately letting it down in the prior episodes. I am convinced that was done deliberately to keep the interest high and I think it worked.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

* Also interesting: Karasuma stating right out (to himself only) that even if the class sticks with the assassination they won't succeed. Where was that coming from?

What I understood of it is that they were doomed if they halfassedly stuck with it, like they were going to do after learning koro sensei's backstory, but before nagisa brought up not killing him at all.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:29 am Reply with quote
This episode was intense. I never thought I'd see Karma lash out at Nagisa. Kayano asked about Nagisa and Karma relationship. I've been wondering myself how these two became friends anyway.

Also, the Kill and Don't Kill members seem pretty obvious. I'm not even rooting for a team; just gonna sit back and watch how this all plays out.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah this week's episode was pretty top-notch, it's cool how the show managed to get to practically everyone in the class and some unnoticed skills without feeling to overcrowded and even though Class E has bonded quite a bit over time they still have extremely differing opinions

animechic420 wrote:
This episode was intense. I never thought I'd see Karma lash out at Nagisa. Kayano asked about Nagisa and Karma relationship. I've been wondering myself how these two became friends anyway.

Also, the Kill and Don't Kill members seem pretty obvious. I'm not even rooting for a team; just gonna sit back and watch how this all plays out.

I didn't even know/remember those two knew each other before everyone else so that really surprised me Shocked
fryguy81

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I haven't seen too much of hellsing and I've only seen the second season of FMP like 4-5 years ago. Girls are way better at manspreading than men, both in space taken up and convincing people to move on. If I saw a guy manspreading, I'd probably ask them to take up less space. If I saw a girl doing a split on two seats, I'd find a different space. She seems like she wants it more.

"manspreading" is basically men not wanting to crush their testicles which are located between their legs. If they have their open it's because it is extremely uncomfortable and possibly damaging to press sensitive reproductive organs together.

It's not being inconsiderate, it's basically dealing with the nature of male design.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
^That's an pretty old post you're dragging up there. Also I am quite familiar with the male anatomy, as I am one. I don't really intend to get into this, but from what I've seen, manspreading is usually spread more than necessary to not squish the equipment, generally spread out as much as possible without doing damage the other way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10